#2  Edited By redwingx

Nice! Ulysses ftw!

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

YES YES YES YES YES YESYES YES YES YES YES YESYES YES YES YES YES YESYES YES YES YES YES YESYES YES YES YES YES YESYES YES YES YES YES YESYES YES YES YES YES YESYES YES YES YES YES YESYES YES YES YES YES YESYES YES YES YES YES YESYES YES YES YES YES YESYES YES YES YES YES YESYES YES YES YES YES YESYES YES YES YES YES YESYES YES YES YES YES YESYES YES YES YES YES YESYES YES YES YES YES YESYES YES YES YES YES YESYES YES YES YES YES YESYES YES YES YES YES YESYES YES YES YES YES YES

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Squalleon

I hope people understand how rare, unexpected and awesome that is. JOHN ROMITA SR. DOING SUPERMAN. YES!!!!! I think my excitement shows XD

That cover is awesome! Is it me or JRSR is the only one who makes the New 52 Superman costume look good?

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@squalleon said:

Is it me or JRSR is the only one who makes the New 52 Superman costume look good?

It probably helps that he gave Superman actual boots instead of those dumb armor things.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon said:

Is it me or JRSR is the only one who makes the New 52 Superman costume look good?

It probably helps that he gave Superman actual boots instead of those dumb armor things.

Agreed. It was one of the first things I noticed. And that he reduced the number of lines helped also.

DianaXKal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

YES YES YES YES YES YESYES YES YES YES YES YESYES YES YES YES YES YESYES YES YES YES YES YESYES YES YES YES YES YESYES YES YES YES YES YESYES YES YES YES YES YESYES YES YES YES YES YESYES YES YES YES YES YESYES YES YES YES YES YESYES YES YES YES YES YESYES YES YES YES YES YESYES YES YES YES YES YESYES YES YES YES YES YESYES YES YES YES YES YESYES YES YES YES YES YESYES YES YES YES YES YESYES YES YES YES YES YESYES YES YES YES YES YESYES YES YES YES YES YESYES YES YES YES YES YES

lol :)

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Squalleon

@dianaxkal: I think it is the first variant I am gonna buy(or at least try to buy) :D

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

The art is ruining this otherwise good story for me. To be honest though, I'd rather have Johns writing Shazam with either Ivan Reis or Gary Frank and have Jeff Lemire writing and Cafu drawing this. I wonder how long Johns plans on staying on this book?

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By redwingx

@sog7dc said:

The art is ruining this otherwise good story for me. To be honest though, I'd rather have Johns writing Shazam with either Ivan Reis or Gary Frank and have Jeff Lemire writing and Cafu drawing this. I wonder how long Johns plans on staying on this book?

Why would wish for something like that? John's Shazam sucks.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

@redwingx said:

@sog7dc said:

Why would wish for something like that? John's Shazam sucks.

I really liked it. Lots of people did.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I wasn't even sure he was still alive.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

@xwraith said:

I wasn't even sure he was still alive.

He is 84 years old .

Sovereign91001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

It's a good cover, a little minimalist for my taste though. It is nice to see a legendary artist return even if it's just for a cover.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a good cover, a little minimalist for my taste though. It is nice to see a legendary artist return even if it's just for a cover.

He is 84 years old. He asked to be simple because he can't draw complicated things anymore.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

Nice cover

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Good for the Boy Scout, he doesn't usually get nice things like this.

Jphu8414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

That looks awesome, guy's still got it

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

That is a helluva good looking variant cover. Between that and Ivan Reis' Unchained #8 variant and Superman's covers are looking good thus far. To think this is the one issue of Superman I'm missing for the moment :(

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

The cover is amazing! I saw it earlier today and I was pretty nicely surprised by it.

Mightus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He makes the suit look so classic just by the simple touches he did to it. Wish the other artists can follow this idea!

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Romita gets too much crap.his art is decent imo and can be very good, Machinist looks cool as well.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Romita gets too much crap.his art is decent imo and can be very good, Machinist looks cool as well.

You don't know how much I agree with that. And his work on Superman is very good, better than the majority of the works he did at Marvel lately.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He gets too much crap justifiably for his Marvel work. His Superman work is decent and easy enough on the eye but it's hardly anything special compared to other New 52 Superman artists like Rags Morales, Tony Daniels and Jim Lee. Compared to those guys, Romita's scrawny pencils look bad. Even his 80+ year old father draws a better Superman than his son as that variant cover demonstrates.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@entropy_aegis said:

He gets too much crap justifiably for his Marvel work. His Superman work is decent and easy enough on the eye but it's hardly anything special compared to other New 52 Superman artists like Rags Morales, Tony Daniels and Jim Lee. Compared to those guys, Romita's scrawny pencils look bad. Even his 80+ year old father draws a better Superman than his son as that variant cover demonstrates.

What Romita lacks in beauty, he makes up in storytelling thats the good part. His panels are very creative(well Johns script helps too) but you see he can tell a story perfectly. Daniels' art and especially the action scenes are awkward and some times you feel like there are missing some panels (at least in SM/WW). I can't comment on JRJR's action scenes yet because we haven't seen enough of them but issue 32 had an awesome very cinematic fight, leagues ahead of what Daniels has done in SM/WW.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@entropy_aegis said:

I didn't hate his work on AvX or Cap though.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

@lvenger said:

@entropy_aegis said:

What Romita lacks in beauty, he makes up in storytelling thats the good part. His panels are very creative(well Johns script helps too) but you see he can tell a story perfectly. Daniels' art and especially the action scenes are awkward and some times you feel like there are missing some panels (at least in SM/WW). I can't comment on JRJR's action scenes yet because we haven't seen enough of them but issue 32 had an awesome very cinematic fight, leagues ahead of what Daniels has done in SM/WW.

I was thinking the same thing. Romita Jr. may not be the best penciler ever but he can tell you the story in a perfect way for your eyes to understand it and love it. Tony Daniel's work is nothing special for me because only his action scenes look that well as people say. Everything else, like just people standing and talking or just having other moments it seems a bit of awkward and stiff.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@entropy_aegis said:

I didn't hate his work on AvX or Cap though.

Really? I hated his artwork for those two stories and I thought that was where most of Romita Jr's criticism came from in the first place.

@lvenger said:

@entropy_aegis said:

Some of his panels are creative e.g the window blur effect in issue 32. Distance panels/crowd panels are not Romita's speciality and even the talking scenes suffer at times. Especially his female faces. As for Daniels, I'd recommend Action Comics #19 - Hybrid, Part 1 to see how well laid out he can make both his action scenes and his quiet scenes. The talk with Lois in the bar is not stiffly drawn at all and the robot fight scene is full of kinetic energy. That arc had some excellent artwork from Daniels.

Nonetheless, despite my on the fence leanings towards Romita Jr's artwork, I prioritise story over artwork and Johns' story is more than good enough to make me overlook the flaws of Romita's artwork.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Shrug,it was cinematic,dynamic,detailed and conveyed the writers intentions very clearly,those are the things I look for in my art,it's why I never gave a crap about Jim Lee,he's lacking in all those areas.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Shrug,it was cinematic,dynamic,detailed and conveyed the writers intentions very clearly,those are the things I look for in my art,it's why I never gave a crap about Jim Lee,he's lacking in all those areas.

Yeah gonna have to agree to disagree with you there. I'd hardly call Romita Jr's art detailed or cinematic in many ways, especially when compared to the layouts and geometry of Jim Lee's artwork. He's kinda my favourite comic book artist so it's safe to say I like his artwork, as do many others.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@entropy_aegis said:

Yeah gonna have to agree to disagree with you there. I'd hardly call Romita Jr's art detailed or cinematic in many ways, especially when compared to the layouts and geometry of Jim Lee's artwork. He's kinda my favourite comic book artist so it's safe to say I like his artwork, as do many others.

I always think of Lee as the same face,same body, same background guy.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly, besides been drawn by apparently “living legend” artist, I hardly see anything exceptional in this cover. Then again, this is just one page – and guy already drawn better Superman than his son managed in two whole issues.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly, besides been drawn by apparently “living legend” artist, I hardly see anything exceptional in this cover.

He makes the ugly New 52 costume look good so that is an accomplishment on its own.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Squalleon
@lvenger said:

Some of his panels are creative e.g the window blur effect in issue 32. Distance panels/crowd panels are not Romita's speciality and even the talking scenes suffer at times. Especially his female faces. As for Daniels, I'd recommend Action Comics #19 - Hybrid, Part 1 to see how well laid out he can make both his action scenes and his quiet scenes. The talk with Lois in the bar is not stiffly drawn at all and the robot fight scene is full of kinetic energy. That arc had some excellent artwork from Daniels.

I just checked Daniels art for issue 19 and I still think his art is like there are missing panels here and there. His storytelling isn't fluid. His style is more mainstream and his Superman does look better than Romita's but I can't say I prefer him as a storyteller. In his dialogue scenes there are some panels that could have been handled better and there are TOO MUCH close-ups, even when there isn't any need for them. Anyway I guess it depends on the style you prefer and art is even more subjective than the story so it is difficult to say what is good and what is bad.

@lvenger said:

@entropy_aegis said:

It takes him three months though :P Give Romita the same time and I am sure his art will improve a lot too.

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well this is awesome, but I hoped it would be more then just a cover.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon said:

@sanohibiki said:

Honestly, besides been drawn by apparently “living legend” artist, I hardly see anything exceptional in this cover.

He makes the ugly New 52 costume look good so that is an accomplishment on its own.

Not really, but hey, agree to disagree.

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By redwingx

Don't understand the hate for Romita's art. It's suit's this book perfectly and is nice for the eyes. :)

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And it just keeps getting worse and worse.

Back to past! When they should move forward.

DC makes the decisions, but that doesn't mean I've to like them.

Well... One less comic for me to read.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its a variant cover...Overreacting much?

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heavenlydarkdragon said:

What do you mean by that?

HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sanohibiki:

I mean, that I was expecting more from this new team. I knew the artwork would not be within the one I really like. But this Ulysses story, come on! It's just ridiculous. It's the same story has Superman but instead of the baby being send to a different planet, he was send to a different dimension, and of course from going there he gained superhuman abilities. Where's the creativity?! Where's the main goal, making Superman comic stories better and more appealing?!

The artwork was no shock to me, I simply never liked John Romita Jr artwork. But Geoff Johns... I really hope things get better real fast.

HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon:

I couldn't care less about the cover. It's a simple try to turn New 52 superman into pre-52 superman. It's okay by me. But what's not okay, is how the stories are going.

Other people may like it, but I don't. Simple has that.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@entropy_aegis said:

I've been reading his and Morrison's AC run(thanks again for the recommendation) and he's characters' eyes look uneven. He's art is good but not great.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy said:

@lvenger said:

@entropy_aegis said:

I've been reading his and Morrison's AC run(thanks again for the recommendation) and he's characters' eyes look uneven. He's art is good but not great.

Yeah I do agree with you to an extent on some of his artistic work. Particularly towards the end of Morrison's run. DC had to get Brad Walker to come in to do some fill in art and that looked really nice actually. Quite complementary to Morrison's writing tbh. Wouldn't have minded Walker to take over from Morales completely though I enjoyed both artists myself.

And no problem mate, I'm glad you enjoyed something I recommended, if only for the story :P