• 62 results
#1 Posted by WIshIWasSuperman (1351 posts) - - Show Bio

SPOILER ALERT******************

If you haven't read Superman Unchained #3 - stop now and leave or continue if you don't care about the story anyway.

So Wraith seems perfectly intelligent and amiable - even friendly towards Superman. It's confirmed his DNA is "similar" to Superman's, suggesting he's kryptonian - however he LOOKS significantly different. The final panel however has a reveal....

He has grown large bony style protrusions over his body as he gets ready to fight alongside Superman, and makes a comment that it's a shame he will have to kill him.

The main Superman title has dropped hints that Superman did in fact die in the new 52 universe (something I thought had been retconned in New 52), which suggests they're going to re-do Doomsday, or at least a Doomsday story line. THIS can't be that though as the time-line is wrong. Unchained is happening in a similar time to Superman as Lex has gotten out of prison. Is it possible he's essentially another, more advanced Doomsday? He looked very similar to how they're drawing him now when he landed - so it's not that he's evolved to look like that after 75 years under our Sun.

I'm just thinking if Doomsday's origin is similar to the original idea, will Wraith be another evolution of Doomsday?

Am I making a random connection that doesn't exist?

Thoughts?

#2 Edited by Squalleon (4834 posts) - - Show Bio

@wishiwassuperman: Doomsday will return in Superman/WonderWoman so no Wraith is just another random forgetable villian at the moment.
I like his personality though.

#3 Posted by consolemaster001 (6076 posts) - - Show Bio

oh boy

#4 Posted by UltimateSMfan (1502 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

#5 Posted by THEOCITYLEGEND (1308 posts) - - Show Bio

No. From the way it looks so far this story is more likely to turn into some boring crap where Superman teams up with Wraith to take down the evil Ascension and Lex Luthor. I pray it does not, but that's just the way it looks to me so far.

#6 Posted by Squalleon (4834 posts) - - Show Bio
#7 Posted by THEOCITYLEGEND (1308 posts) - - Show Bio
#8 Posted by Squalleon (4834 posts) - - Show Bio

@theocitylegend: Well, it says that the team up won't work because they don't have the same objectives. And Wraith looks too good to be true so don't lose hope yet :-)

#9 Posted by stephens2177 (1095 posts) - - Show Bio

I was just over on CBR saying the exact same thing,Wraith is a new 52 version of Doomsday IMO.doomsday was created by zor-el and is the lead world killer,he terrorized krypton to the point of him being a boogie man on the planet.the kryptonians sent him away in a ship,but he is intelligent,he received earths message 75 years ago,and came down,acting like he is a good alien,growing in power because he is under a yellow sun,but now that he is in close contact with superman he can't help himself,he has to kill him,he has to kill anybody kryptonian.

Ok well that's my theory,could be wrong,but fun either way.

#10 Posted by ShadowSwordmaster (16357 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think so.

#11 Edited by Z3RO180 (6703 posts) - - Show Bio

@wishiwassuperman: Dude they are similar in the sense that their powers both come form the sun other than that they are from two separate species

#12 Posted by stephens2177 (1095 posts) - - Show Bio

Doesn't mean he couldn't be doomsday though.

The one thing most ppl who don't like DD say is he is stupid,and he is a one note character,guess what wraith is smart,and can stick around for another 75 years easy.he has the look,even before the ultra DD look of bony protrusions everywhere.idk guys,of wraith at the end of this isn't DD,then it would be a shame,shame because DD will still be that monster ppl complain is to stupid and one note to stick around.

#13 Edited by LaserLambert (636 posts) - - Show Bio

I think he's Wraith.

#14 Edited by stephens2177 (1095 posts) - - Show Bio

Wraith is the nickname the military gives him,doomsday will be the name after he loses his shit,and starts going off on anything and everything.

#15 Posted by Blackdog2009 (1878 posts) - - Show Bio

No. He's not dd. stop.

#16 Posted by stephens2177 (1095 posts) - - Show Bio
#17 Posted by Elm (63 posts) - - Show Bio
#18 Edited by toptom (1260 posts) - - Show Bio

@stephens2177: dd will appear in the Superman/WW title. It doesn't matter that Wraith is strong enough to kill Superman...he still isn't doomsday.

#19 Edited by Squalleon (4834 posts) - - Show Bio

That's new 52 doomsday.

#20 Posted by WIshIWasSuperman (1351 posts) - - Show Bio

I know Doomsday isn't Wraith in the sense of Doomsday who kills Superman. I was wondering if anyone thinks there might be a link between Doomsday and Wraith? As in, is Wraith a more advanced/evolved Doomsday?

#21 Posted by Squalleon (4834 posts) - - Show Bio

I know Doomsday isn't Wraith in the sense of Doomsday who kills Superman. I was wondering if anyone thinks there might be a link between Doomsday and Wraith? As in, is Wraith a more advanced/evolved Doomsday?

Snyder created Wraith just for the sake of his story.
Also Superman Unchained will tell the story of wraith's people.

#22 Edited by UltimateSMfan (1502 posts) - - Show Bio

@squalleon said:

@wishiwassuperman said:

Snyder created Wraith just for the sake of his story.

Exactly, right.....whats really irking me is wraith being used by the government to guide the course of history and all that but where the hell was he when Darkseid invaded,or when superman was getting the Sh!# kicked out of him by Doomsday? he may have been working in 'secret' but something so powerful would've had a bigger impact. the people in charge of 'The Machine' only seem to use wraith to forward their own agenda and possibly leave earth shattering super-villainous threats(which pose a greater threat than terrorists to them and all the civilians they are apparently protecting) to the 'superheroes' and then Sam Lane calls superman a coward because he doesn't 'help' people at a political level.......can anyone justify how that isn't hypocrisy?

#23 Edited by Squalleon (4834 posts) - - Show Bio

@ultimatesmfan:

Wraith said he worked with Superman before but he made sure he didn't noticed him.

Doomsday hasn't killed Superman in the new52 at least not yet...
We know Supes had died but we don't know how since Doomsday hasn't made an appearance yet.

#24 Posted by red720 (4 posts) - - Show Bio

I haven't read the preview as i don't want spoilers, but wraith is the doomsday weapon that was dropped on Nagasaki, and reading between the lines, wraith had another name that general lane didn't want superman to know, so yeah I think wraith will have something to do with dd. Sent from my phone, please excuse my lack of capital letters.

#25 Edited by matchesmalone21 (9177 posts) - - Show Bio

@squalleon: Actually he will comeback in Superman/Batman....ergh Doomsday 1 in Villains Month.

#26 Posted by SanoHibiki (1727 posts) - - Show Bio

Doesn’t look like they one and the same. I saw concept art for New-52 Doomsday. They both big hulking space superpowered dudes, but except this they looks nothing similar to me.

And a little about Unchained issue 3… Oh, the irony.

Pre-52 Superman. “Truth, Justice and American way” all the way. Each time Superman somehow gets involved in other countries politics, his teammates, American government – all immediately have hissy fit ( for example, read For Tomorrow storyline).

New-52 Superman. Social crusader-like Superman. Suddenly he coward, because he actively don’t intervenes in other countries business.

And something else. This Wrath just (like I already said) big superpowered space brute, but military used him for 75-years for covert operations ( which doesn’t look like his modus operandi) and for all this time no-one ever saw him? That ... very doubtful for me.

#27 Posted by matchesmalone21 (9177 posts) - - Show Bio

@sanohibiki: We don't yet how much differently he's from Superman,we only now he's more powerful for spent decades over yellow sunlight. Maybe he had invisibility or is fast enough to compete with Flash. This could be the explanation to why no one knows about him,who knows?

#28 Posted by SanoHibiki (1727 posts) - - Show Bio

@matchesmalone21:

Well, Wraith imitated nuke, destroyed Nagasaki, kicked Supes across half of country and in the end of issue stands with Superman in Tokyo in direct sight. I just can’t see that guy as stealth character. It doesn’t matter if he have invisibility and Flash-level speed, because if in his wake Wrath leaves destruction on such scale, somebody were bound to see if not him personally, then at least ‘results’ of his operations. But somehow through 75 years no-one suspected nothing and didn’t see anything.

#29 Edited by stephens2177 (1095 posts) - - Show Bio

Fellas Wraith when he landed in his space ship looked smaller,less powerful than he does now.he now has energy bursting every.he also can create his own bony protrusions.so his he doomsday? Idk,but if he isn't,he sure is a good new 52 facsimile of him.

Wraith/doomsday is like the hulk,wolverine,and superman rolled up into one

#30 Posted by entropy_aegis (15432 posts) - - Show Bio

Nah Wraith has some personality unlike Doomsday but Doomsday looks cooler.

#31 Edited by matchesmalone21 (9177 posts) - - Show Bio

@sanohibiki: think what you want,but this is comics and I'm glad that is a great story. The only thing that really matters.

#32 Edited by SanoHibiki (1727 posts) - - Show Bio

@matchesmalone21:

I didn’t say anything about Unchained being bad story. On contrary, currently its best ‘pure’ Superman title for me (waiting when Pack would take Action Comics).

It’s just small details that bother me. For example, in the end of second issue Superman got half of his face covered in blood, in beginning of this issue his face suddenly clean. Or how Wrath=walking nuke successfully played secret agent for 75 years.

Plotline itself looks very interesting and promising, Jim Lee’s art = pure win.

#33 Edited by WIshIWasSuperman (1351 posts) - - Show Bio

@matchesmalone21:

I didn’t say anything about Unchained being bad story. On contrary, currently its best ‘pure’ Superman title for me (waiting when Pack would take Action Comics).

It’s just small details that bother me. For example, in the end of second issue Superman got half of his face covered in blood, in beginning of this issue his face suddenly clean. Or how Wrath=walking nuke successfully played secret agent for 75 years.

Plotline itself looks very interesting and promising, Jim Lee’s art = pure win.

I was wondering about some inconsistencies too - such as where was Wraith during the Doomsday invasion in the start of the Justice League series, or if Doomsday HAS indeed attacked already, where was he then? Of course it may be shown he was there - just that Superman didn't see him.

#34 Posted by Nheritor (39 posts) - - Show Bio

@theocitylegend: They team up this issue but they eventually but heads in the later issues

#35 Posted by Deranged Midget (17961 posts) - - Show Bio

The new Doomsday in the same regard that Wraith would smack around Clark? Sounds about right.

#36 Posted by PapiNacho (3224 posts) - - Show Bio

Nah, Wraith has personally, he just happens to be amiable and stronger than Superman. He is like Earth's General Zod after taking multiple anger management classes.

#37 Edited by SilverPool (2224 posts) - - Show Bio

No, Wraith is more powerful, but they're probably connected.

#38 Posted by Saint_Wildcard (11968 posts) - - Show Bio

IDK, this whole Unchained book is kind of meh. Soule's work is more interesting and Pak's is more fun.

#39 Edited by dondave (38882 posts) - - Show Bio

Doomsday has already appeared

#40 Posted by Z3RO180 (6703 posts) - - Show Bio

Wraith is not kryptonian

#41 Posted by BR_Havoc (1339 posts) - - Show Bio

Wraith will never be used again after Unchained wraps so I will go with no.

#42 Posted by EnigmaLantern (763 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

I'm enjoying Unchained, when they decide to release an issue. It's been an almost 2 month wait for each of the last 2 issues (issue 4 released on Nov 6th, issue 5 to release on Dec 31st), it's the only criticism I have for the series.

#43 Posted by Bezza (3855 posts) - - Show Bio

What December 31 for Issue 5?! What are they on?! Seriously starting to lose patience with this series. Have told my comic shop to cancel my order, but apparently I have to keep with it till issue 7. I'm finding Superman/Wonder Woman more enjoyable just now..

But to answer the question, how can Wraith be DD? Wraith is intelligent, articulate, has the exact powers of Superman. DD is more "hulk gone bad". Just a violent raging fighting machine that doesn't seem to stop...

#44 Edited by BRAX (786 posts) - - Show Bio

@wishiwassuperman: I kinda looked at Wraith as some kind of second com coming of Doomsday ; only smarter..Is Wraith stronger than the New-52 Doomsday?

#45 Posted by Jayc1324 (13374 posts) - - Show Bio

Wraith > Doomsday

#46 Posted by Superguy1591 (3906 posts) - - Show Bio
#47 Edited by Jayc1324 (13374 posts) - - Show Bio
#48 Posted by w0nd (4038 posts) - - Show Bio

@brax said:

@wishiwassuperman: I kinda looked at Wraith as some kind of second com coming of Doomsday ; only smarter..Is Wraith stronger than the New-52 Doomsday?

Yes doomsday was ripped in half by superman, he is dead, superman is now "infected" by his spores that he breathed in and turning into doomsday himself

#49 Posted by entropy_aegis (15432 posts) - - Show Bio
#50 Posted by Superguy1591 (3906 posts) - - Show Bio