Is Superman truly the most powerful being on Earth?

• 91 results
opis34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

The comics say he is but some fans seem to have a different opinion. What do you think?

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

no, the comics dont say that. and no, hes not.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat said:

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

It's usually just grandstanding, like when they say Wonder Woman is the most powerful woman.

Superman is up there, but not number 1. He's is the most dangerous though.

Avatar image for deactivated-64b01667a4f83
deactivated-64b01667a4f83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Currently, it's difficult to really judge (and I haven't completely caught up). That's the problem with a universe shared by multiple writers and creatives. Technically I would say he's been given the nod by Helspont, who called him the most powerful being on earth, but even money will get you that won't stop him getting his butt kicked.

But, in any case and personally; I know that he definitely was previously, and that he should be. It's what gives him unique responsibility as Space Dad of Earth (at least, if he was still being written that way). Weight of the world on his shoulders in a outside-the-gym kind of way.

With the possible exception of Dr. Fate, and other visiting cosmics visiting from other planes, if they count. From what I can tell, Dr. Fate use to be Superman's magical equivalent in terms of power, but I saw when he fought the Spectre (got torn to bits, but still), so it's probably safe to assume he's generally higher tier currently, but presumably have some kind of Genie Rules restraint. (Someone else will have to tell me.)

Or else 'ohno, Superman's gone evil!' doesn't have much point to it.

Or maybe that should be 'most powerful superhero' instead of 'being'.

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae841330527
deactivated-60ae841330527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both Captain Atom and Martian Manhunter have been portrayed as league busters, but than Zod owned MMH in a rush. Okay MMH gaurd was down. But, Atrocious took on Manhunter and Appollo and Midnighter, only to later lose to Guy, of course there was some history erasing involved in between. And something happened to Atom, so the future where he takes out the Legue never happens. But man hunter did still take on the legue, Zod took him out, wonder women held off Zod and his girl for a while, so superman could stop crying, so she is the most powerful! Except Aquaman knocked them around as did his brother (who Aquaman also beat) so he is the most powerful, except MMH took on the whole Le- .... Err wait!

I'm just going with Jimmy Olsen! How he managers to never get a good picture of superman and still keep his job? Completely over powered! Though I could see a case for Batcow!

opis34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By opis34

@sodamyat: Put it has been mentioned multiple times that Superman is the most powerful being on the planet. Just because you don't agree with it does not mean that some writers have said this.

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Long answer, short. He has the potential the become the most powerful being not only on Earth, but the entire universe. But that doesn't make him so, at least not now. He's still too wet behind the ears.

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's not the most powerful being on Earth but he's certainly the most powerful Superhero. Some characters like Martian Manhunter may seem more powerful than Superman on paper but ultimately it's Superman's landing on Earth and Superman's mood swings that detonate world changing events.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

No. Batman is.

Avatar image for unbreakable_fs4
unbreakable_fs4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope.

While in an illusion, Despero reveals that MMH is more powerful than Superman in Justice League of America #9.

No Caption Provided

username12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By username12345

It's usually just grandstanding, like when they say Wonder Woman is the most powerful woman.

Superman is up there, but not number 1. He's is the most dangerous though.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol, Batman. I grew up with my dad's (Silver Age?) comics. I loved Batman (badass cartoon), but I was always bemused by his appearance in World' Finest comic. Literally the only thing he could contribute was specifically things like 'Clark Kent is plotting to kill Superman!', utterly specific and wacky detective things.

The problem with Superman currently, is that he's not the underdog. He's classic alpha. And this isn't as gratifying as Batman trolling gods. So Supe's get written in the spirit of the villains. It doesn't matter how powerful he is; the more powerful he is, the more incompetent he is with them, which is why he's now the least masculine character on the board.

Batman is the underdog of underdog's, so him punching out a god-like Superman is not only possible, it's a really good idea. And it's why he's now the alpha male of the DC league, because his hyper-competency exceeds all the gifts God gave him.

Superguy raised an interesting point. I would actually be interested in seeing Superman, say, losing 50% of his power for an entire run, but being attacked by all the same god-like villains. Just so we can see him get back to old-style punching up ultra-competency, without having to kowtow to the cosmic insecurity that infects his story-lines. Superman's the guy who's supposed to be trolling arrogant god beings and making an ass of them, not being trolled.

That's essentially what Superman's character is meant to be, probably more than 'the most powerful'. He's meant to be the classic ultimate hyper-competent hyper-masculine alpha superhero, with a fortress full of super-science gadgets and a world to save. There's nothing he can't do, (even if he didn't have limitless powers). He can problem-solve anything. He's basically Kryptonian Batman without the cultivated mystique.

The only reason Supes doesn't get shown doing this much is because of his now limitless powers making it pretty redundant. He hits harder than anything in the universe, infinite speed, his brain's a super-computer, he can calculate on sight, etc, etc, so that eliminates a lot of things he'd need a gadget for.

So if he gets his butt kicked by people with 0.000000000001%- of his powers, he looks like an incompetent pussy. You've basically reversed his defining characteristic. It's like if James Bond gets turned into Johnny Bravo; it's inexplicable and depressing.

(MMH vs Superman doesn't make much sense to me either, but I've already established I think Superman should be the Excalibur of superheroes, so it's all the same.)

SuperAdam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The problem with Superman currently, is that he's not the underdog. He's classic alpha. And this isn't as gratifying as Batman trolling gods. So Supe's get written in the spirit of the villains. It doesn't matter how powerful he is; the more powerful he is, the more incompetent he is with them, which is why he's now the least masculine character on the board.

Batman is the underdog of underdog's, so him punching out a god-like Superman is not only possible, it's a really good idea. And it's why he's now the alpha male of the DC league, because his hyper-competency exceeds all the gifts God gave him.

This is what makes Batman a Gary-Stu. It doesn't make any sense for him to be able to do half the things he does without superpowers. He can outsmart all of Gotham. He can defeat literally anyone. He's the best of the best. But he doesn't have any superpowers, so it doesn't make any sense at all for him to be able to do half the stuff he does. Batman will enter a room full of gangsters, dodge all their bullets, disarm them all with one batarang, and then beat them all up. This is completely impossible. Nobody can dodge bullets or disarm a room fulled of armed criminals. No matter how good you are, no matter how many martial arts you no, this is completely impossible.

With Superman, Flash, Wonder Woman, etc, it makes sense because they are meta-humans. How do you know that a space alien wouldn't have all of Superman's powers? Or how do you know that an Amazonian couldn't fly and dodge bullets with superhuman reflexes. Sure, its unlikely, and would probably never happen in a million years. But my willing suspension of disbelief is kept in tact.

Batman, we KNOW that a human can't dodge bullets. We know that a master of martial arts is no match for a gun. We know one person can't outsmart an entire police force or criminal gangs. So whenever Batman shows up, my willing suspension of disbelief is shattered to pieces. And Batman comes off as a major Gary-Stu.

Back on topic, Superman is the strongest non-supernatural being on the planet. And now he has the Super flare to help cement him as the strongest. I think really only the Spectre is more powerful.

And Superman creamed Dr Fate in Earth-2.

ariesxmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superadam:

I should note that I tend to be ironic without warning. By 'good idea' I meant 'comic logic'.

Superheroes are meant to be gratuitous fantasies. But I agree that Batman has been extraordinarily obnoxious in the modern incarnation. BvS will always be completely baffling to me on multiple levels.

The implication is that Superman is actually exactly what Luthor says he is. An outsider pretending at being one of us. And Batman has to prove that we humans are just as good as he is. And for the sake of our pride, we have to win.

When did Superman become the enemy in DC? No wonder he's never allowed to have any fun.

(I mean, I know he's Kryptonian and Superman and all that. But shouldn't he be our Superman?)

SuperAdam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superadam:

I should note that I tend to be ironic without warning. By 'good idea' I meant 'comic logic'.

Superheroes are meant to be gratuitous fantasies. But I agree that Batman has been extraordinarily obnoxious in the modern incarnation. BvS will always be completely baffling to me on multiple levels.

The implication is that Superman is actually exactly what Luthor says he is. An outsider pretending at being one of us. And Batman has to prove that we humans are just as good as he is. And for the sake of our pride, we have to win.

When did Superman become the enemy in DC? No wonder he's never allowed to have any fun.

(I mean, I know he's Kryptonian and Superman and all that. But shouldn't he be our Superman?)

Superman is meant to be a god. Even though, in canon, he's not divine, he clearly plays off of the same tropes and ideals as a god. So having a human who is his equal sort of messes up his character.

HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@username12345:

Batman... Please! Why am I not surprised.

Besides the fact that he's to human to be Batman, and that writers create plot twists out of their asses, just so Batman can win a fight, carries no weight, right?!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superadam:

I agree. I basically figured it went without saying that Batman should no way in heaven or earth be defeating Superman, and that his feats have long since gone from 'implausible but imaginable' street level hyperbolism to a cosmic cheat. I'm just curious as to why BvSeven became a thing. (I wasn't even aware of it, until relatively recently.)

The only reason I can imagine DC decided to something as innately screwy as pitting a street hero against Superman, is because they don't think of Superman as a hero. Or at least not their hero. They think he needs to be humiliated like he's Lex Luthor.

username12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heavenlydarkdragon: Because it came out of Superman's own mouth and there battle record is currently slightly in Batman's favor

What did Batman do to you? He didn't take your lunch money or bully you as a child.

Just because some people like Batman better than others doesn't mean you should hate.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@opis34: Depends on the day of the week. But no

HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@username12345:

Please!....

Your answer affects me has much has your reaction. Which by the way I was already expecting.

Did you even read what I wrote?! Because if you had you'd know I wasn't hating on Batman, but the simple in everyone's face fact, that DC writers in more than one occasion did a pull rabbit out of the hat move, so Batman could win a fight, that otherwise he would be doomed.

Sure it's comic's and they're made to entertain, but we got to draw a line between, a well done plot/story and a sucker-punch/rigged joke for a comic. And this isn't just a Superman vs Batman thing, I read Batman comics, they're amongst the best DC Comics has to offer. But if someone asked me "What character you think is strongest in the DCU?" and I answered Batman, if that person said "Are you being serious?" I'd answer "Yeah. I'm just messing with you." because I have the common sense to know what's real and what's an illusion.

You're also a Batman fan. That's good. Shows good taste. But seeing what the question placed in this post was and your answer, do you blame me for your answer.

If anything I was hating your answer (which I wasn't), because it showed how seriously you take things. And joke our not. It was a poor answer has well has your comeback.

Take this has you will.

username12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heavenlydarkdragon: I like you, you're a cool dude

Batman isn't the strongest in terms of lifting obviously, I think he is the "strongest" because of prep and skill.

I like both and my favorites are when they team up.

HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@username12345:

True.

I always said that they're the best team I've ever seen, and had the pleasure to read. Each one has the strengths that balance out their weaknesses.

They're the gold team.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@username12345:

The thing is, in a sensible continuum, these would be arguments against Batman.

Skills and prep aren’t super-powers, they’re crutches for severely disadvantaged people. You won’t see Dr. Manhattan learning any martial arts.

The other issue is that prep and skill are meaningless against someone who has either super-speed and super-intelligence, let alone both. Batman is basically impotent against Superman. He's a grass-hopper with a feather duster, it doesn't matter how skilled he is.

If Superman needed any skills, he would have them; if he needed to prepare, he would; he can learn anything he needs at super-speed, he can equal five months of Batman prep, in 5 seconds of Superman prep; the fact that he doesn’t bother learning or utilising those skills is why the conceit of Batman fighting Superman is insane.

It’s like saying I could beat Muhammad Ali in his prime with my superior chopstickmanship.

The only plausible way for Batman to actually beat Superman, is if Superman has prepped himself with a fail-safe (like he used to do), and gives Batman the trigger. Even then, historically, it’s not a guarantee.

This isn't to crap on Batman. He's my second favourite guy. But making them cop-buddies, in my opinion, is a terrible idea. They (should) occupy entirely different planes. It's why Batman has leeched Superman's powers and roles.

(EDIT: Well, I am being a little unfair. There are some logical and believable ways for Bats to drop Superman. But none of them involves fist-fights.)

opis34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why did this thread have to turn into Batman vs Superman?

ShaoKahn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope ! Batman is omnipotent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@opis34 said:

Why did this thread have to turn into Batman vs Superman?

Because why not, that's why!

o.o

(EDIT: I do feel bad now though, for giving the impression Batman doesn't have his props. I can see him being a master strategist (because Batman is a psychological warrior), whereas Superman's more of the on-the-spot practical problem-solver (if he sees a problem he can fix it, but he can't anticipate every problem); just being super-intelligent doesn't make Supes psychologically suited for everything. He's more of a 'do it myself' guy. But in the name of everything sane and beautiful, they should never fight.)

Batman1130

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a huge batman fan but anyone who argues that batman is the most powerful is kidding themselves. He's just a regular human! Granted he is peak human and is one of the universe's best martial artists, and has gadgets but he is still just human. I say superman and martian manhunter are in a tight race for most powerful heroes but overall I'm not sure

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

The most powerful being on earth is without a doubt the incredible Batcow ^_^

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol, Batman. I grew up with my dad's (Silver Age?) comics. I loved Batman (badass cartoon), but I was always bemused by his appearance in World' Finest comic. Literally the only thing he could contribute was specifically things like 'Clark Kent is plotting to kill Superman!', utterly specific and wacky detective things.

Superguy raised an interesting point. I would actually be interested in seeing Superman, say, losing 50% of his power for an entire run, but being attacked by all the same god-like villains. Just so we can see him get back to old-style punching up ultra-competency, without having to kowtow to the cosmic insecurity that infects his story-lines. Superman's the guy who's supposed to be trolling arrogant god beings and making an ass of them, not being trolled.

That's essentially what Superman's character is meant to be, probably more than 'the most powerful'. He's meant to be the classic ultimate hyper-competent hyper-masculine alpha superhero, with a fortress full of super-science gadgets and a world to save. There's nothing he can't do, (even if he didn't have limitless powers). He can problem-solve anything. He's basically Kryptonian Batman without the cultivated mystique.

The only reason Supes doesn't get shown doing this much is because of his now limitless powers making it pretty redundant. He hits harder than anything in the universe, infinite speed, his brain's a super-computer, he can calculate on sight, etc, etc, so that eliminates a lot of things he'd need a gadget for.

So if he gets his butt kicked by people with 0.000000000001%- of his powers, he looks like an incompetent pussy. You've basically reversed his defining characteristic. It's like if James Bond gets turned into Johnny Bravo; it's inexplicable and depressing.

(MMH vs Superman doesn't make much sense to me either, but I've already established I think Superman should be the Excalibur of superheroes, so it's all the same.)

Oh man, where have you been all my life?(no homo)

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By SodamYat

any comic fan with basic knowledge of the DC universe knows he's not the most powerful being on Earth.

opis34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat: Normally I would agree however some writers have stated he is and I was wondering if any of the fans believed he is.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@opis34 said:

@sodamyat: Normally I would agree however some writers have stated he is and I was wondering if any of the fans believed he is.

writers dont say that. characters in comics say that. just roll your eyes and take it with a grain of salt. phantom stranger and like 30 other characters on earth are more powerful. This is not even a questions. Its silliness.

Avatar image for deactivated-64332b810a025
deactivated-64332b810a025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat said:

opis34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat: Well who are making the characters say that? Well the writers of course. Also at least one writer did state that in Superman #17. Furthermore when talking about the most powerful beings on Earth I think characters like Phantom Stranger are not counted.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@opis34 said:

@sodamyat: Well who are making the characters say that? Well the writers of course. Also at least one writer did state that in Superman #17. Furthermore when talking about the most powerful beings on Earth I think characters like Phantom Stranger are not counted.

The writers make characters say lots of things. None of which should be taken as the actual writer saying them.

What writer said what in superman #17? link or scan?

Of course they count. Phantom Stranger has been on Earth for almost every issue of his book.

Look, Im not trying to argue with you, its just that this question is silly.

xDOOMGUYx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman may not be the absolute most powerful being on Earth but he definitely deserves to be.

opis34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat: Sorry I don't have a link or scan but it is on the first page of that issue. What I mean by they don't count is that characters like Phantom Stranger are almost divine and thus should not be compared to mere mortals.

opis34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@opis34 said:

@sodamyat: Sorry I don't have a link or scan but it is on the first page of that issue. What I mean by they don't count is that characters like Phantom Stranger are almost divine and thus should not be compared to mere mortals.

Phantom Stranger is not divine. He's just a man who is cursed.

Theres also Swamp Thing.

Conastantine

Zatanna.

Martian Manhunter

so and so on.

opis34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By opis34

@sodamyat: Look I'm not saying Superman is the most powerful being on the planet. In fact I don't believe he is. The whole reason I created this thread is because some characters in the books seem to believe so and I wanted to know what other people think.

KingOfKings1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#43  Edited By KingOfKings1

Constantine

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@opis34 said:

@sodamyat: Look I'm not saying Superman is the most powerful being on the planet. In fact I don't believe he is. The whole reason I created this thread is because some characters in the books seem to believe so and I wanted to know what other people think.

He's the most recognizable hero in the world. So writers have characters pay homage and say stuff like that. And then they go right back to writing other characters doing things Superman cant do. He's not the most powerful person on earth and I'd be very surprised if anyone with basic knowledge of DC comics thought so. Only noobs novices would think that he's the most powerful person on Earth.

xDOOMGUYx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@opis34: I guess it's just because of how classic he is, being one of the first super heroes ever made. Also his name is Super Man. It just seems right to make him Superior.

opis34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat: So basically what we have concluded is that writers are stupid well that is nothing new. I just would like to know what others think since it tends to create interesting discussions. Also a question what is basic knowledge of DC comics to you since you keep saying that.

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

i don't even think he'd break the top 20

opis34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xdoomguyx: Well he can be the strongest in physical strength but DC would have to pull back on a lot of characters to make him the most powerful.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@opis34 said:

@sodamyat: So basically what we have concluded is that writers are stupid well that is nothing new. I just would like to know what others think since it tends to create interesting discussions. Also a question what is basic knowledge of DC comics to you since you keep saying that.

basic knowledge means knowing whos who and what they can do. The basics. Anyway, Im out of here. This discussion is silly. See you later.

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Yes. And his partner in crime Diana aka Wonder Woman is the world's most powerful female. After all both of them are like the two most strongest beings in the universe. Didn't Spectre say so himself?

I kid.