Is Superman's build a result of Earths Yellow Sun?

• 52 results
xScorchedx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By xScorchedx

I was watching the animated All Star Superman film, and when Lex Luthor was comparing his earned muscle and build to Superman's given strength, certain questions came to my mind: "Is Superman's build a result of the yellow sun?" "Does Superman's muscles matter? Would a slim and shorter kryptonian have the same strength as Superman on Earth?"

I was wondering if anyone on here knew something that could address my questions?

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Back Silver age,yes,any kryptonian was equal to superman on the earth(superman not more experience than them,and,female kryptonian also equal to male krytonian in strength,speed,etc)

Bronze Age,not too clear,but a Male kryptonian stronger than Female kryptonian,and superman more experience than other kryptonian

Pre-52,different kryptonians has differnet power level,but roughly are in the the the level of range of the Superman

New 52,unknow

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And,silver age,any kryptonian was true Invulnerability,they are cant hurt each other,that was different for bronze age,in the bronze age,superman can knock out other krytonian even they are has invulnerability

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

anyway

Superman's feats apply to other Kryptonians

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I don't agree with the statement above at all. Just cause superman pushed a planet doesn't mean Ursa could. Superman is above other kryptonians because he's been under the sun longer and has more experience with his powers. New 52 superman worked out to get stronger (Superman 13). I think the best way for superman to get stronger would be to shoot himself with red sun or blue kryptonite. Then work out with no powers. With more muscles and solar cells he would indeed get stronger.

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@allstarsuperman: your point just apply Pre-52 superman,just all,not apply Pre-crisis,and New 52 supergirl has more solar energy,is that mean supergirl>superman?

also,even pre-52,other kryptonians fight with superman,like zod,I dont see how superman beat him with easily,even superman could be more experience and more solar energy,they are still toe with toe in fight

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By PowerWoman

P.S,where pre-52 superman pushed a planet?he need wonder woman help him

xScorchedx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Superman is generally described as being 6'4" and 235lbs. Is that a result of the earths yellow sun, or is he just naturally that big?

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xscorchedx: That point just apply post-crisis,and I dont think Superman to be significantly stronger than other empowered Kryptonians unless Kal-El himself is a mutant which doubles his power level.also,superman could be has more"solar energy"so that mean he more powerful,That's a post crisis concept. My understanding is before John Byrne came up with the solar battery concept, Kryptonians were as powerful as they were ever going to get the moment they were exposed to yellow sun rays.not Pre-crisis

Back Silver age,yes,any kryptonian was equal to superman on the earth(superman not more experience than them,and,female kryptonian also equal to male krytonian in strength,speed,etc),silver age,any kryptonian was true Invulnerability,they are cant hurt each other,that was different for bronze age,in the bronze age,superman can knock out other krytonian even they are has invulnerability

Bronze Age,not too clear,but a Male kryptonian stronger than Female kryptonian,and superman more experience than other kryptonian

Pre-52,different kryptonians has differnet power level,but roughly are in the the the level of range of the Superman

Again,if superman really has 20 years ago solar system,he could be beat ZOD with easily,sorry.that never happed in the comics,they are toe to toe in fight

AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman vs Zod: superman has less training and holds back. Zod never holds back he's ruthless.

Superman sun dipped for 15 minutes and pushed a moon sized ship moving at light speed IIRC. I was just saying if superman pushed a planet.

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@allstarsuperman: eh...superman hold back..well, According to my comic knowledge,superman no hold back fight with wonder woman,and she even can toe to toe fight with him,even she not bloodthirsty like superman,any kryptonians can sun dipped,I dont think only superman can sun dipped,unless Kal-El himself is a mutant his power level

AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've seen scans of superman slapping WW around like nothing

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By KnightRise

I've seen scans of superman slapping WW around like nothing

To be fair, yes, Supes was bloodlusted but Wonder Woman also bounced back quickly from each hit.

AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@powerwoman how? Anyway in Supergirl 16 it says WW is as strong as Supergirl.

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@allstarsuperman: Seriously,man,did you really read supergirl comics?!

yes,superman>supergirl,but supergirl already more and more stronger than before,that why she as strong as wonder woman

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

supergirl has at least Twice grow up her power level,that why she can as strong as wonder woman,we dont know superman how much stronger than wonder woman,but at least,Based on common sense,wonder woman always close to superman in strength,even superman no hold back,and supergirl stronger than wonder woman now(she grow up again)

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@knightrise: Seriously,wonder woman even not bloodlusted

AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@powerwoman yes I read Supergirl 1-12,0,14-16

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@allstarsuperman: supergirl already grow up her muscle strength

One:

No Caption Provided

how strong is she?as strong as wonder woman

No Caption Provided

Two:

No Caption Provided

supergirl stronger than wonder woman now,unless wonder woman no Bracelets,i belive no Bracelets wonder woman would be as strong as superman

robot superman not stronger than supergirl anymore,But how strong is she now, is the lack of evidence,I think supergirl should be more and more close to superman in strength

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@knightrise: Seriously,wonder woman even not bloodlusted

But I'm not saying that she didn't struggle.

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@knightrise: Of course,I know,I want to see bloodlusted of superman vs bloodlusted of wonder woman,that would be fair,because we only know bloodlusted of superman vs normal wonder woman

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman is generally described as being 6'4" and 235lbs. Is that a result of the earths yellow sun, or is he just naturally that big?

It is at least partially due to the yellow sun, as we are shown in Flashpoints Project Superman (Cool story BTW). Also, elseworlds, such as the Dark Knight Strikes Again shows Superman literally withering from the Green K sapping the suns energy from his cells.

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deaditegonzo: agree,WTF,if a big muscle and strong kryptonian could be more stronger than superman?

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think growing up On a farm n doing hard labour coupled with his perfect bodily processes fueled by absorption of yellow sun rays gave him that phisique, plus he works out in the new 52 apparently (superman 13) although I think that was just for tests.

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ultimatesmfan: In fact, No matter how it was,superman power level is story need,write want to superman beat other kryptonians,he will.but write want to superman fail by the fight,even a street charater can match him

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xscorchedx said:

It is at least partially due to the yellow sun, as we are shown in Flashpoints Project Superman (Cool story BTW). Also, elseworlds, such as the Dark Knight Strikes Again shows Superman literally withering from the Green K sapping the suns energy from his cells.

Cannonically, I think his vigor, vitality, and ease at which he maintains that perfect build is due to his enhanced solar metabolism. I don't think he could build fat/lose muscle if he tried. If he were hit with gold kryptonite and lost his powers, he'd still be a 6 foot, 200+ lbs big a$$ dude. He'd likely just have the physiology of a normal Kryptonian/human that size and need to start working out and eating healthy. His strength on the otherhand, is much more dependent on his solar reserves. He's more efficent at maintaing them and has deeper reserves than other Kryptonians (making him "stronger" if you will) due to longer exposure from infancy through adolecense and adulthood. I believe that his strength is tied directly to solar energy, while his physique is an coherent trait accompanying said energy.

Avatar image for consolemaster001
consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

anyway

Superman's feats apply to other Kryptonians

No, supes has been under the sun his whole life

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He bench pressed the earth's weight for 5 days, he never actually moved a planet

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@allstarsuperman: eh...superman hold back..well, According to my comic knowledge,superman no hold back fight with wonder woman,and she even can toe to toe fight with him,even she not bloodthirsty like superman,any kryptonians can sun dipped,I dont think only superman can sun dipped,unless Kal-El himself is a mutant his power level

Superman himself says he is always holding back. When kara first arrived they thought she was stronger, she was orbiting the sun and closer to it just as long as he was, but in an adult body, while he had to grow from child to adult. She seemed physically stronger, out ran him and seemed superior in every way,

No Caption Provided

Also someone mentioned he gets beat up by street level characters. pictures down below

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@knightrise: Good point. And since he generally is shown not to need food or water (or air), there actually isnt anything else that could cause his physique. His system is made to completely run on Solar Energy.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@knightrise: Good point. And since he generally is shown not to need food or water (or air), there actually isnt anything else that could cause his physique. His system is made to completely run on Solar Energy.

pretty much lol. Like someone said in flash point when he was locked underground his whole life he was scrawny and frail.

but when he saw the sun for the first time he got heat vision, super strength and flight.

On a side note though depowered kryptonians can work out I assume, and stay fit like humans can...otherwise it would be a planet full of frail people since they never had a yellow sun

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd said:

@powerwoman said:

He bench pressed the earth's weight for 5 days, he never actually moved a planet

Thats not accurate. Pre-New 52, he, Wonder Woman, and Martian Manhunter moved the planet Earth. He also moved a large moon alone after 15 minutes of sundipping from empty reserves. More extremely, he and WW lifted/tripped the Spectre whose mass approached infinity. In the New 52 he benched press the mass of the Earth for five days.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@knightrise: OOPS i was wrong, was doing this on my phone and misread. Thought it said 52 superman not pre. My appologies

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By z3ro180

@PowerWoman I'm sorry but no. You can not apply Superman's feats to other kryptonians Supermans feats are his and his alone

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By PowerWoman

@consolemaster001: And he toe with toe fight zod,eh,sorry.unless you can scan superman one shotted ZOD,if cant,superman maybe more powerful than other kryptonians,but it's lack of evidence

also,your point just apply pre-52,not apply pre-crisis,read my point or go to read pre-crisis superman comics,

Back Silver age,yes,any kryptonian was equal to superman on the earth(superman not more experience than them,and,female kryptonian also equal to male krytonian in strength,speed,etc),silver age,any kryptonian was true Invulnerability,they are cant hurt each other,that was different for bronze age,in the bronze age,superman can knock out other krytonian even they are has invulnerability,In the Sixties, both Superman and Supergirl had pretty much infinite power ,and Kryptonians could whale away on each other for days with no harm, they were still invulnerable to such a degree that neither could damage the other.Pre-COIE Earth 1 kryptonians are infinitely strong ,This assumes that Maggins was following your idea of physics 20 years ago 'My idea of physics' is known as physics, ie the correct physics of the actual world In the first King Kosmos story, the DCCP annual not the Superman annual, Maggins tells us Superman goes faster than light, which takes infinite energy, by shear muscle and sinew,so,that mean any kryptonians was infinite strength,powerful,if you dont belive just go to read DCCP annual 02

Bronze Age,not too clear,but a Male kryptonian stronger than Female kryptonian,and superman more experience than other kryptonian,BA superman also survives the Big Bang at point blank range, gets to light speed (or faster) by strength alone - a feat requiring infinite strength, btw - survives inside black holes, closes black holes, flies fast enough to break out of the multiverse into Heaven, and KO's Mxyptlyk's more powerful cousin with a casual backhand smack.

I forgot he once yelled at several billion decibels. If you figure out how much energy that would require you'll see it's a lot more than is contained in a single universe.

Pre-52,different kryptonians has differnet power level,but roughly are in the the the level of range of the Superman,like ZOD,and other kryptonians,I dont see how superman can easily beat a kryptonians,any kryptonians was superman level,maybe just low a bit than superman,but 100% not superman far far far far far far far more powerful than them

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd: Of course,only superman lift earth weight,but this is new 52 superman,I'm talking about pre-52 superman,why your says this?why?

And,even so,doomsday never move a planet,DD never move a planet,orion never move a planet,lobo never move a planet,superman and wonder woman done it,is that mean wonder woman more powerful than doomsday?

feats isnt everything,your need consider the background,yes,superman lift earth weight,but wonder woman always close to his strength,Based on common sense I think we can be safe to say that she can,even we are hypothesis superman was 10x times stronger than wonder woman,earth weight =650,000,000,000,000,000,000 tons,superman 10x times stronger than wonder woman,that mean wonder woman can lift:650,000,000,000,000.000.00 tons,that still very Impressive,and superman 10x times stronger than wonder woman?lol,unless this is SA superman

@z3ro180: I dont see how a kryptonians not superman power level,if even wonder woman can help superman move the earth,why ZOD cant?is mean zod weaker than wonder woman?!

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd: Of course,only superman lift earth weight,but this is new 52 superman,I'm talking about pre-52 superman,why your says this?why?

And,even so,doomsday never move a planet,DD never move a planet,orion never move a planet,lobo never move a planet,superman and wonder woman done it,is that mean wonder woman more powerful than doomsday?

feats isnt everything,your need consider the background,yes,superman lift earth weight,but wonder woman always close to his strength,Based on common sense I think we can be safe to say that she can,even we are hypothesis superman was 10x times stronger than wonder woman,earth weight =650,000,000,000,000,000,000 tons,superman 10x times stronger than wonder woman,that mean wonder woman can lift:650,000,000,000,000.000.00 tons,that still very Impressive,and superman 10x times stronger than wonder woman?lol,unless this is SA superman

@z3ro180: I dont see how a kryptonians not superman power level,if even wonder woman can help superman move the earth,why ZOD cant?is mean zod weaker than wonder woman?!

because i misread, i already apologized above for that.

"And,even so,doomsday never move a planet,DD never move a planet,orion never move a planet,lobo never move a planet,superman and wonder woman done it,is that mean wonder woman more powerful than doomsday?"

No it means characters are written inconsistently...as they always are, but i wasn't the one who was talking about feats so i don't know why you aimed this at me lol the only thing I did was show you that superman admitted to holding back...your reply must be for someone else? Or I am confused

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd: your not apologized for me

so,superman hold back,eh,is that mean when he fight with doomsday he still hold back?

lol,do you know i want to say what?I'm a big superman fans,but ,"superman hold back,so if he not hold back he would be mean..."

Looks like a plot device

street level characters,I'm not talk the post-crisis,did you really read pre-crisis superman comics?????

a lot of street level characters can match SA superman,like PC mon-el,PC Validus,PC mongul,PC Ultra-boy and PC DS PC orion?

they are best feats just a planet-level,even not close to BA superman,that my sense,DC creater a lot of shit charater to match PC superman(who faster than infinity,lift entire universe weight,take the big bang)and DC says PC Validus was dozen times more powerful than SA superman,but he use all his power just can destroy city,you not feel that so funny?

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd: your not apologized for me

so,superman hold back,eh,is that mean when he fight with doomsday he still hold back?

lol,do you know i want to say what?I'm a big superman fans,but ,"superman hold back,so if he not hold back he would be mean..."

Looks like a plot device

street level characters,I'm not talk the post-crisis,did you really read pre-crisis superman comics?????

a lot of street level characters can match SA superman,like PC mon-el,PC Validus,PC mongul,PC Ultra-boy and PC DS PC orion?

they are best feats just a planet-level,even not close to BA superman,that my sense,DC creater a lot of shit charater to match PC superman(who faster than infinity,lift entire universe weight,take the big bang)and DC says PC Validus was dozen times more powerful than SA superman,but he use all his power just can destroy city,you not feel that so funny?

#34 Posted by w0nd (245 posts) - 6 hours, 8 minutes ago - Show Bio

" OOPS i was wrong, was doing this on my phone and misread. Thought it said 52 superman not pre. My appologies"

I apologized for it like 6 hours ago lol......

you consider all those people you listed as street level?

anyways like i said people wanted to see scans of him admitting he is always holding back, i provided that you can ignore it if it suits your needs but those aren't the only ones. Idk why people ask questions if when they are provided with answers it doesn't count.

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd: your not apologized for me,but I dont care,people just too proud

yes,unless you can scan them feats,I read all of them comics,they are feats isnt match SA superman/SA supergirl,even marvel family would be better than them,you can read my thread

http://www.comicvine.com/superman/4005-1807/forums/pc-superman-even-can-survival-big-bang-1456568/#23

I'm not say i'm a expert for SA superman,but at least I know a lot of them,I qualified to evaluate them ,welcome you read them too, PC mon-el,PC Validus,PC mongul,PC Ultra-boy and PC DS PC orion was serious mismatch to SA superman/SA supergirl

that why I call them " street level"

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd: superman hold back,just a plot device,I dont think when superman fight with doomsday he still hold back

also,this just post-crisis plot device,not Pre-crisis,well,in the Bronze Age or silver age later period,DC creater a new idea,a superman would be stronger than superwoman just like man stronger than woman,and superman more experience than other kryptonians,but before,any kryptonians was 100 % equal to superman in strength,speed,even a superwoman would be equal to superman in strength,speed

this was different

PRE-52,I think even superman more powerful than other kryptonians,but they are still was superman level,i dont know why

Superman's feats cant apply to other Kryptonians

unless superman can one shotted a kryptonians with easily,but I never see superman can one shotted a kryptonians

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

Is his build influenced by the solar radiation? Not at all, it's just the artist's depiction, nothing more and nothing less. Look at Jae Lee's art as opposed to Jim Lee's. Jae draws relatively lean and skinnier characters while Jim draws them to be massively muscular and toned to the brim.

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deranged_midget: ,superman could be has more"solar energy"so that mean he more powerful,That's a post crisis concept.,more muscle maybe more powerful,too,but the DC writer never seriously it

Silver age super Female Kryptonians

in the silver age,there no more solar energy concept.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

9dragons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By 9dragons

All you need is kryptonian DNA to become like superman. Superman may have trouble against 10 average kryptonians, but Batman may fare better against 10 average humans. Superman fighting skills is good, but not good enough to be the leading hand to hand combat among his people. Thus he loses his uniqueness among people with the same power set, like race of kryptonians. Thus writers have created more powered up versions of superman like superboy prime, golden superman etc to restore that uniqueness and as a side effect breaks the story. A hero is only as great as his obstacle. Sorry for the side track. Given the origin of superman powers no the muscle tone does not drastically* matter in terms of kryptonian powers neither does prolong sun exposure, except sun dip. However, fans try to use sun exposure to make superman stand out from other kryptonians because he becomes a man among his own people and no longer superman.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this is superman with no sun.... he was still strong enough to drop the jaws of amazons and atlateans mid war though and that says something.
this is superman with no sun.... he was still strong enough to drop the jaws of amazons and atlateans mid war though and that says something.

@9dragons:

Avatar image for consolemaster001
consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#50  Edited By consolemaster001

@w0nd said:

@9dragons:

But he flew to the sun and THEN attacked the amazonians and atlanteans