Posted by lilben42 (2487 posts) 1 year, 3 months ago

Poll: Is smallville worth the watch? (59 votes)

Yes 44%
No 22%
Kind of 34%
#1 Posted by Onemoreposter (3870 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh

#2 Posted by Mr_Holmes (49 posts) - - Show Bio

It really depends on your tastes. Just sample some episodes and see for yourself. I enjoyed bits of the show, but I would never be able to defend the quality of the writing, etc.

#3 Edited by Bruxae (12271 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, I loved it.

If nothing else watch a few episodes, if it seems worth it a whole season and decide then.

#4 Edited by guttridgeb (4831 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not a fan but I know some are so I recommend you at least give it a try :)

#5 Posted by Veshark (9057 posts) - - Show Bio

Here's my recommendation: Watch the first two seasons. These two seasons, why formulaic and somewhat generic, did manage to showcase a growing yet happy Superman who had a healthy relationship with family and friends, and spent his days coping with teenage life in Smallville. Tom Welling plays a relatively likeable Clark, and Michael Rosenbaum as Luthor is the show's highlight.

Starting with Season 3 however, the show started to lose its momentum. Seeds for storylines would be planted and never followed up, loose ends were not tied up. And the show started to run out of interesting episodes, resorting to some of the most long-winded plots, batsh!t nuts ideas, and boring characters. After S2, you should only watch the few Justice League eps that are worth watching (Justice, Absolute Justice, Legion) and then leave it at that. Even the finale with Welling as Superman was a cop-out...

#6 Posted by ComicStooge (11836 posts) - - Show Bio

I really liked it, for whatever reason.

#7 Posted by consolemaster001 (4904 posts) - - Show Bio

It was alright

#8 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11264 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked it. There are some seasons that are average at best however they have some good episodes. Everyone has their preference to what they like and don't like. I can imagine people saying this is "alright" and "it's not that good" to be people that like Twilight. My opinion is I think you should try it out for yourself. Then you can tell us if it is good.

#9 Posted by AllStarSuperman (19546 posts) - - Show Bio

I love it! But seasons 4 and 10 weren't that great...

#10 Posted by lilben42 (2487 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks everyone, for your opinions

#11 Posted by TeamUnitedNerds (402 posts) - - Show Bio

I've seen the episodes, it's not that great. It has some good episodes, but overall, it just doesn't do anything for me.

#12 Posted by coolguyr99 (3019 posts) - - Show Bio

No, it is very boring.

#13 Posted by The_Tree (7079 posts) - - Show Bio

I heavily enjoyed it. The Luthors, Green Arrow, and Pa Kent were my favorite things about it. It does have several moments that can come off as just downright terrible, but even in those times, I was still having fun.

#14 Edited by Ellie_Knightfall (4818 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes.

#15 Posted by Z3RO180 (6250 posts) - - Show Bio

When its good it really good when its bad it hell freezing over horrible. There is no middle middle ground it either good or bad. Green arrow is just boring all the way through it and the end of the show is just plain awful.

#16 Posted by TDK_1997 (14451 posts) - - Show Bio

I still haven't finished the show but from what I have watched I enjoyed it.

#17 Posted by Squalleon (4059 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not a fan but I know some are so I recommend you at least give it a try :)

#18 Edited by ALFMutant (144 posts) - - Show Bio

You can't resume ten years of a show in one word. With more than 200 episodes, there is surely some you will love and some you will hate. I remember preferring the third and fourth seasons and the worst being seasons 8 and 10.

#19 Posted by lightsout (1821 posts) - - Show Bio

Not a fan personally. Some people think it's odd since I love Supes so much, but IMO it's a classic CW/WB teen-drama, not a show about Superman.

#20 Edited by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

First seasons? Yes. Latter seasons? Hells naw!!!! It should not have gone to Metropolis and given us that stupid *ss "blur"... Ughh!

#21 Edited by Suprman (442 posts) - - Show Bio

Smallville, to me at least, is one of those shows that when's it's bad, it's REALLY bad, but when it's good, it is REALLY good. My favorite seasons are 1, 2, 5 and 9.

#22 Posted by NaffyDuck (15 posts) - - Show Bio

I would probably be with the majority in this thread. First 3 seasons are good (1 and 2 are great). Sooner or later Lana becomes annoying, Kristen Kreuk is a horrible actress and the character really holds back Clark in a huge way. Seasons 6 and 7 are probably the worst of the whole series, but there are a few episodes that will still make you smile.

#23 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

I would say so if you don't mind the lore being tossed around every now and then. It's enjoyable to say the least.

#24 Posted by Manhunter_Prime (64 posts) - - Show Bio

There are some inexplicable writing hiccups and lackluster sequences, but there are some good parts. It's a nice interpretation, and it has some pretty cool moments. Worth watching, but don't get discouraged when something retarded happens... it will get better again. Finale was a letdown though.

#25 Posted by Press Oblivion (1643 posts) - - Show Bio

I enjoyed a lot of things about Smallville, especially Erica Durance. It explored a lot of different things and was a great venue to introduce new characters. The unseemly friendship between Clark and Oliver Queen was really well done. I think the good things that came from the show out weigh anything else.

#26 Posted by lilben42 (2487 posts) - - Show Bio
#27 Edited by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@lilben42: Hey mate, everyone has their own opinion! Some might enjoy the show, some might not. It's entirely up to that individual :)

#28 Posted by FlashKnight (448 posts) - - Show Bio

So I have never really been a fan of Superman. I thought he was incredibly lame because he was super-powered with everything, and seeing him look stupid sometimes next to Batman just pushed me away even furthur. I was like, how lame. But, since my favorite show airing is CW's Arrow, I decided to give Smallville a shot last week. I am glad I did, cause I am now off the Superman hater bandwagon :D

I think Clark and his parents, as well as Lex, are done incredibly well. I am currently heading to the end of Season 1 (should have more time over summer, in college right now), and I must say I am extremely enjoying the show. Not as good as Arrow, but if you are a fan of comic book characters, it is a must watch. I actually enjoy the character of Superman now (never thought I'd say that).

Hope that helped :D

#29 Edited by JShiv (15 posts) - - Show Bio

It's enjoyable, it's worth watching.

#30 Edited by drgnx (3547 posts) - - Show Bio

Clark was Likeable, but a bit full of himself towards the end when he was trying to get he friends in check.

@veshark said:

Here's my recommendation: Watch the first two seasons. These two seasons, why formulaic and somewhat generic, did manage to showcase a growing yet happy Superman who had a healthy relationship with family and friends, and spent his days coping with teenage life in Smallville. Tom Welling plays a relatively likeable Clark, and Michael Rosenbaum as Luthor is the show's highlight.

Starting with Season 3 however, the show started to lose its momentum. Seeds for storylines would be planted and never followed up, loose ends were not tied up. And the show started to run out of interesting episodes, resorting to some of the most long-winded plots, batsh!t nuts ideas, and boring characters. After S2, you should only watch the few Justice League eps that are worth watching (Justice, Absolute Justice, Legion) and then leave it at that. Even the finale with Welling as Superman was a cop-out...

There was a lot of build-ups to nothing, like the Doomsday fight, the Zod fights, Darksied fight, all anticlimactic.... Clark learning to flight for 10 seasons and resorting to a CGI rending of Superman in the suit was an insult to fans everywhere. The No Batman/Wonder Women/Green Lantern restriction didn't help either.

#31 Posted by mpierce2690 (316 posts) - - Show Bio

I am a huge fan of Smallville, own the DVD set and have seen the whole series at least twice and about half the episodes many times.

The truth is, if you sliced and diced the series, you'd have five excellent seasons. And an extremely good Superman Origin story. Lois Lane was absolutely perfect, and the Lex/Clark dynamic was fantastic. It also introduced a ton of DC characters, which made it worth watching all on it's own. Seasons 4, 8, 9, and 10 are excellent. Seasons 1, 5, and 7 were pretty solid, while 2, 3, and 6 drag on a little too much.

Personally, I'd definitely watch it. It's not a perfect Superman story, and you'll have to treat it as it's own continuity, but it's definitely worth watching in my opinion.

#32 Posted by FlashKnight (448 posts) - - Show Bio

One thing I will never get is why they had Clark wanting to make out with every girl he met. Clark Kent is supposed to be a nerd not some woman attractor.

#33 Posted by Typ33 (1 posts) - - Show Bio

I used to watch it in the start but with time it felt like every single season and episode was the same.

#34 Posted by Perezite (1432 posts) - - Show Bio

The first five seasons are good. After that...well...