Is New 52 Supermae such a jerk?

amami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

People often says so.

But, for me, He is no different from his pre-flash point era. good hearted,kind,benevolent,sacrifice himself for everyone.

Only difference is that he is lonley and far from humankind rather than pre-flashpoint.

What do you think about this?

Is Supermae now such a jerk?

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

Lobdell is the reason people bash and the first arc of JL.

But yes they are pretty much the same.

amami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By amami

@squalleon:

I think if some writer's writing for or against character make character perfect jerk, every character can be jerk because every character can have bad writer.

I don't think that Lobdel run makes Superman jerk.

amami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ecstaticgrace:

Maybe.

But Isn't it because of that he is lonley person as human and isolated?

I think that he will become Superman we know after Truth.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Squalleon

@amami said:

@squalleon:

I think if some writer's writing for or against character make character perfect jerk, every character can be jerk because every character can have bad writer.

I don't think that Lobdel run makes Superman jerk.

Υeah...I will disagree.

amami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By amami

@squalleon:

Oh, sorry.

I think too that Lobdel era is not good.

But It doesn't make Superman by other writers jerk. doesn't it?

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amami said:

@squalleon:

Oh, sorry.

I think too that Lobdel era is not good.

But It doesn't make Superman by other writers jerk. doesn't it?

No. Its just Lobdell was the main writer for the Superman franchise for TWO years. He effectively destroyed two characters and made Superman a jerk under his pen and that's why when people are thinking N52 Superman they think him.

Avatar image for rocketraccoonthingy
rocketraccoonthingy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 8

What? Why?

~RRT

amami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By amami

@squalleon:

But Superman had better writer.

Morrison,Geoff,Pak,etc.

Aren't they sufficient to rewrite what Lobdel did to Superman?

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: why did you have to bring up the dark times

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amami said:

@squalleon:

But Superman had better writer.

Morrison,Geoff,Pak,etc.

Aren't they sufficient to rewrite what Lobdel did to Superman?

You can rewrite all you want,but we aren't talking about continuity here but parts of the fans memories , moments of dialogue in the hard-drive, and it is difficult to change that. The point is that some stories that existed gave new52 Supes a bad name. And as you know first appearances matter.
Superman was still fresh then, so the fans gave more gravitas to the early stories to see what Supes will be about.

@z3ro180 said:

@squalleon: why did you have to bring up the dark times

And they were dark indeed. The darkest of times.

Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I think he's just more aggressive I wouldn't call him a jerk though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9535a734784
deactivated-5c9535a734784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Like others have said, he's a lit bit more aggressive and not as trusting but who can blame him. Other than that he's just as benevolent and kind as Pre 52 Supes.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@squalleon: It was Morrison's Superman, not Lobdell's.

Lobdell's Superman was boring, but not a jerk. Morrison's Superman had attitude, but Pak wrote in an explanation.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Squalleon

@superguy1591 said:

Lobdell's Superman was boring, but not a jerk. Morrison's Superman had attitude, but Pak wrote in an explanation.

Νο he was. If you read you will see.

Pak's Superman didn't add anything Morrison hadn't shown. Morrison showed Superman lacked the guidance of the Kents and his despair led him to be more aggressive.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's more of a person than the usual icon imo.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591 said:

Νο he was. If you read you will see.

Pak's Superman didn't add anything Morrison hadn't shown. Morrison showed Superman lacked the guidance of the Kents and his despair led him to be more aggressive.

Morrison also showed this was just him transitioning from a young Superman to the one we know throughout his run.

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amami:

Not at all.

He's a little more distant from humanity. But that's more to do with the death of both his adopted parents before he ever got the chance to become Superman.

The Kents were always the most ground force on his life. More than anyone else. And the New 52, doesn't have that.

And unlike what some people might believe, Lobdell run was awesome. Both he and Morrison did a great job.

Lobdell job was harder because he had to write a Superman from 5 years into the future. And of course his Superman came more hard, adult and mature. He couldn't show a inexperienced Superman like in Action Comics.

But each reader will think what they want to.

And I agree. He's not that different from before the pre-N52. Especially since Johns run. He's made all in his power, to bring back the old Superman. The pre-Flashpoint Superman. Which in my personal opinion hasn't been that good. But other people fell it differently.

What I feel were the greatest losses, were Superman independence, and the Kents. Besides that, there weren't that many changes.

kenshima15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Normally when I ask why people they think he's a jerk they refer to the JL issue were he manhandled Batman, Flash and Green Lantern lol

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Normally when I ask why people they think he's a jerk they refer to the JL issue were he manhandled Batman, Flash and Green Lantern lol

Really?! Just because he made them sweat for their lives. That's not being a jerk. That's him showing he's not someone to have as an enemy.

Him spying on Lois text messages, after he already started a relationship with Diana. That kinda makes him a jerk...

No Caption Provided

Jeremy1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't don't whom this "Supermae" you're describing. But back then was a jerk but I'm starting to warm up to him.

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By arthurkerr

When ever other media form has said it is not against the law to lie in the news. I would think print would be awesome because it would stand its ground and prove that paper is still worthy of being read and looked at and mounted on your wall for stories that are still out to protect the people. Wait on another topic.

Superman is one of the hardest characters to write because he is so much more then powers he is powers that retain humanity and doing the best to see the light in others that so few people see. Even the soul itself he is fighting to wake up or save.

You better bring your A game to the table if your writing Superman because you have to be able to dream of flying and at the same time enjoy walking on the ground.

To see the boy scout view and the warrior spirit and know when it is ok to use one or the other.

Pure of spirit can learn anything by seeing it once and knows when to let others shine.

The perfect leader because he knows when to follow as well.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When the Doomsday infection switched his filters off and truths came pouring out of his mouth, he was a jerk there. And while Superman's technically never cheated on Wonder Woman, the Superman franchise is unfaithful to her unfortunately and I think that reflects badly on him

amami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By amami

@ecstaticgrace:

In the first place,I don't see big difference between pre flashpoint and New52.

New52 Superman is bit more agressive than former himself.

But It doesn't change that Superman is still kind,good hearted, merciful,benevolent,sacrifice himself for everyone.

Some writer's era doesn't change that, doesn't it?

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amami said:

People often says so.

But, for me, He is no different from his pre-flash point era. good hearted,kind,benevolent,sacrifice himself for everyone.

Only difference is that he is lonley and far from humankind rather than pre-flashpoint.

What do you think about this?

Is Supermae now such a jerk?

there is a running gag of people calling him a jerk or a D*ck. but it's because he doesn't put up with people. He is less tolerant. He knows he can crack a planet in half and doesn't take kindly to being bullied. Like when he punched lobo off the planet lol