Interview: Greg Pak & Aaron Kuder Talk ACTION COMICS, "Truth" Story Arc, and Superman's Changing Powers

• 109 results
gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Earlier today we took a look at Superman losing his powers and somehow changing, as seen in the ACTION COMICS Sneak Peek from last week. You can read that HERE and read the 8-page story HERE. While some are excited and others concerned, it's clear we're going to see a change in Superman's status quo on some different levels.

We had the chance to talk to both Greg Pak and Aaron Kuder about what they're doing in ACTION COMICS along with the Truth storyline beginning in ACTION COMICS #41 and continuing in SUPERMAN, SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN, BATMAN/SUPERMAN.

No Caption Provided

COMIC VINE: What was your first reaction to the changes coming for Superman?

AARON KUDER: Hmm, “Reaction” might not be the best word here. We developed the changes together. It’s not like we were presented with the idea/project, and told to make it happen. We logged more than a few hours on the phone, flying to various time zones, and scratching our noggins over this one…

GREG PAK: All of the Superman book writers and editors met over a several months to hammer out the big plan here, so these changes come out of many, many hours of working and talking and pacing and thinking -- and we're thrilled with how it's all coming together.

In our last big get-together, Aaron was drawing while we were talking, so as we came up with the big ideas for the huge changes in Clark's life, the character was literally coming to life on Aaron's tablet. It was a kind of surreal experience, and I think everyone in the room felt it when we saw it -- this was something new and at the same time something that felt absolutely true to the character and a perfect next step. This is a Superman we've all been dying to write. The story's real and visceral and emotional and thrilling and we hope you'll come along for the ride.

KUDER: Drawing is just how I think out a story.. so it was a bit surreal for me too. Half way into a doodle, and realizing the conversation stopped because everyone is looking over your shoulder. Kind of reminded me of my school days.

CV: What can you tell us about the Truth storyline and how closely are you working with Gene Luen Yang?

PAK: As has been revealed thus far in the "Superman" and "Action" sneak preview stories, Clark's getting walloped with two massive changes. First, his secret identity will become public. Not an imaginary story; not a gimmick, y'all. This is for real and it'll affect everything moving forward. Second, he's going to lose a big chunk of his powers and lose access to the Fortress of Solitude. In short, everything that makes Clark's life easy and comfortable is going to be stripped away; we're going to see Superman pushed to his limits and tested on every level in the best kind of ways.

KUDER: Yeah that about sums up everything I think we can say. Though, as for working with Gene, like Greg mentioned above, the entire Superman team is really pulling together on this. For the first time in my career in comics, I’m getting to see what everyone else is doing, as it happens. Scripts, art, final proofs. It’s really amazing the sense of teamwork that’s happening.

CV: Will you be dealing with Lois Lane at all? Will she be able to tell her side of the story in her decision?

PAK: Absolutely and of course -- in Gene's "SUPERMAN" book, you'll get the entire story leading up to Lois's decision. Lois will also show up in BATMAN/SUPERMAN briefly. I've said it many times -- Lois is a straight-up hero, just like Superman. But that doesn't mean she and Superman will always agree on everything. Gene's got a great story to tell here for both Superman and Lois -- don't miss that book!

CV: Now that even the Fortress of Solitude has rejected him, where can he go?

PAK: That's the big question, isn't it? I'll just tease a bit of it... in "Action" #41, you'll see him in a small town in Alaska... and then he'll head right into the belly of the beast -- straight back to Metropolis, where his worst enemies await him with the full knowledge that he's really Clark Kent and his loss of powers makes him more physically vulnerable than ever.

KUDER: Spoilers man! Greg is doing an excellent job of saying everything we possible could say.

No Caption Provided

CV: How would you describe the change in the visual tone of the series?

PAK: Aaron's always drawn an incredibly accessible, human Superman. But maybe what distinguishes the new storyline is how visceral everything is. Superman's lost a lot of his power. He's still tough as hell -- particularly inside, where it counts. But every punch takes a real toll, and Aaron's art makes you feel it.

KUDER: Well thanks! Thou I think if you look back at just the stuff that we’ve done in ACTION, changing the visual tone is par for the course. In our first arc together we delve into the land of Subterrania, then Clark finds himself battling Doomsday and Brainiac (all over the place), his haunted homecoming followed that, and of course he just recently bounced around Bizarro World… each of these stories required there own personal “vibe”. The challenge with the stories coming up is getting you to feel the internal struggle Clark goes through.

ACTION COMICS #42
ACTION COMICS #42

CV: Does jean and t-shirt look inspire a different vibe in the storytelling?

PAK: You bet! I think there's also something beautiful about seeing jeans and T-shirt Superman among everyday folks in Metropolis -- in particular, the folks who live on Clark Kent's block back home who are going to play a huge role in this storyline. Check out Aaron's incredible cover for issue #42 to get a sense of what I'm talking about. Superman's always been one of us, a man of the people. The jeans and T-shirt look combined with his actions in this arc make that crystal clear.

KUDER: Ha.. well thanks again. Thou, from my point of view, the jeans and t-shirt was inspired by the story. Thou I guess that since the story and the designs came together hand in hand this is really a question of which came first the chicken or the egg.

CV: We know Superman could easily go to friends like Batman or Wonder Woman for help. Will there be a reason he decides not to?

PAK: You'll see how Diana fits into the story in Pete Tomasi's SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN book. And the Batman side of the story will take place in the BATMAN/SUPERMAN story that begins with issue #21 in June.

CV: Will we see familiar enemies or new threats and locations?

PAK: Both! Lex Luthor will play a role in BATMAN/SUPERMAN -- as will a huge Superman enemy we originally introduced in ACTION. At the same time, we're introducing entirely new threats in all of the books. Keep an eye out for the Shadow ninjas we first introduced in the ACTION eight page sneak. They'll show up in more than one book. There's a big, big plan coming which will be revealed bit by bit with some massive payoffs down the line.

Also, we're introducing brand new friends and rivals as well. Keep your eye out for a firefighter named Lee Lambert in ACTION #41 in particular -- she's going to play a big role.

KUDER: Yeah, agreed! The road the Superman books are on is going to be incredible, especially in the since of who and what he’ll be up against. This story line will allow us to create an entirely cast of friend and foes!

Truth begins in ACTION COMICS #41, on sale June 3.

Here's some more sketches from Aaron Kuder.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

I'm pumped for Paktion Comics to come back and some of the designs look really good, especially the one with the cape on his knuckles.... but him on the motorcycle is baffling

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

Hope its good. It would be nice for Superman to have consistently good stories for a change.

But the premise isn't enough to sell it to me, I will try it though.

Essenemg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

...If hs powers weaken and he's not able to enter the Foretress of Solitude anymore...maybe it means Kryptonite won't affect him ether ? It would bring balance to the story.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Biker daddy Superman is hot.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kuder's art is what Chiang's was for Wonder WOman. A great fit and really fun to look at.

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By tensor

I am really curious to see how a depowered Superman fight in battle.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7 the_stegman  Moderator

Isn't Supergirl losing her powers too??

Anyway, I'm pumped for this.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's 6 more months of Wonder Woman on a glorified cameo only this time with the aggravating factor that her eponymous book is bad in ways that challenge description and I know "God killer" will awake the Hulk within me so I've nothing to look forward to. Thanks a lot Superman

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Archizooom

@tensor said:

Probably with all the skill of a jiu jitsu grandmaster and the strength of an icelandic strongman

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tensor said:

Probably will all the skill of a jiu jitsu grandmaster and the strength of an icelandic strongman

Lol.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

I'm pumped for Paktion Comics to come back and some of the designs look really good, especially the one with the cape on his knuckles.... but him on the motorcycle is baffling

Not that baffling, I mean he can't fly and he's going to need to get around.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

THis looks interesting. Imma read it

~MiB

RexWing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pak is killing it on Action Comics, I have a feeling this will be a strong arc

LOL Paktion Comics, that is good!

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rexwing said:

Pak is killing it on Action Comics, I have a feeling this will be a strong arc

LOL Paktion Comics, that is good!

Paktion Comics? more like Action Pak-ed Comics

Avatar image for starscream_vs_you
Starscream_Vs_You

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great! This means an even storyline in every book. Consistency, what I love mostly in storylines.

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By saoakden

I'm excited for this arc.

saucygiraffe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman, hero for hire. At least it's different.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#18  Edited By Lvenger

If this is the kind of Superman story Pak's been wanting to tell then that just makes me lose more respect for him as a credible Superman writer. Just because this story hasn't been told before doesn't mean it's a good story worth telling. Not when it invalidates important themes of Superman's world, turns him into a thuggish and mean looking brawler that's almost a parody of his GA self which is frankly ruining Superman into something almost unrecognisable now. It's sad that this is what DC and the Superman writers think is best for Superman and his future status quo, changing it and ruining it even more than it needs to be.

I don't want to read about DC does a Wolverine losing his healing factor type story, I want a Superman story. And it's clear I'm not finding one here.

_ANDY_CAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

awesome the story would be great

PScully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok...here's a big question regarding this storyline...

WHY???

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By Squalleon

@pscully said:

Ok...here's a big question regarding this storyline...

WHY???

Heh, funny.

@lvenger said:

I don't want to read about DC does a Wolverine losing his healing factor type story, I want a Superman story. And it's clear I'm not finding one here.

I never made that parallel. It actually fits. It is ironic considering Pak is known for writing all powerful characters :P

bladewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll give it a chance, if only because I love the creative team.

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I for one is excited. I'm ready for a new direction for Superman. A fresh and interesting one shakeup.

Gotham331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think this story is going to be very good

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@lvenger: I've had enough. It just keeps getting worse. Call me when it's over.

omarthmainman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By omarthmainman

Superman should have the torn cape wrapped around part of his arm and hands l feel, in order to give it that boxing effect.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@lvenger: Dude, come on. I know cynicism about New 52 Supes is your thing, but would it hurt to lighten up a little?

Pak is a great comic book writer, and it's just plain unfair to sh!t all over something before it's even out.

Darling_Luna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#28  Edited By Darling_Luna
@jaken7 said:

Pak is a great comic book writer, and it's just plain unfair to sh!t all over something before it's even out.

First day on the internet ?

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A depowered Superman?

Fufuffffufufuffufufu.

Beata

bloggerboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First time I've been interested in Superman since Morrison's Action Comics run. Should I check out Pak's Doomed?

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First time I've been interested in Superman since Morrison's Action Comics run. Should I check out Pak's Doomed?

No. His story arc pre and post Doomed are a must though. I enjoyed Doomed and it had a lot of good ideas, but it was pretty hit and miss

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7 said:

@lvenger: Dude, come on. I know cynicism about New 52 Supes is your thing, but would it hurt to lighten up a little?

In his defense, he tried getting into his series but didn't like it.

He loves the Icon, we're more interested in the man.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saintwildcard: Don't lump me in with you!!! Argh!!!

I prefer the icon as well, because that's what Superman is. But Pak is a great goddamn comic book writer and his previous arcs have done a pretty excellent job at balancing the New 52 "man" with the Pre-52 "Super".

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7 said:

@saintwildcard: Don't lump me in with you!!! Argh!!!

Next you'll be saying you also you hate MoS, pfft. We both know you love it more than me when we talk about it in the PM's

I prefer the icon as well, because that's what Superman is. But Pak is a great goddamn comic book writer and his previous arcs have done a pretty excellent job at balancing the New 52 "man" with the Pre-52 "Super".

leonardo dicaprio animated GIF

Jbreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not overly keen on the idea but I love the creative team so i am willing to give it a shot.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I trust these guys.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brunnhilde: I thought this is what you wanted: a man that plays Robin to Diana's Batman.

ManEl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 268

I think this is a cheap gimmick, just as the "Death of Superman" was, in order to sell comics while putting the character through shit they would normally only do to Batman.

I will be very clear, I don't like it and believe it is a huge mistake.

Will this turn me away from DC? No, it won't. But I will try and make my displeasure heard. This whole direction DC is taking is more akin to something Marvel (Eew) would do than what we've come to expect from DC Comics.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9535a734784
deactivated-5c9535a734784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saintwildcard said:

Not that baffling, I mean he can't fly and he's going to need to get around.

I'm pretty sure he can run faster than he can ride. Even if he only goes 150mph (or 241kph), that's still faster than what a Harley can go at. But I guess his should would burn out at that speed

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@brunnhilde: Well Batman/Superman & Superman/Wonder Woman are Superman books first, tho so far every issue has had a great balance between the two, even during the Doomed arc.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman's always been one of us, a man of the people. The jeans and T-shirt look combined with his actions in this arc make that crystal clear.

So much right. This and the line from BvS

Maybe he's just a guy trying to do the right thing

are what Superman are to me.

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd have to say that to me the only interesting part about all this will be to see how this will affect the relationships he has with both Bruce and Diana, and also Jimmy, Perry and Lois.

Other than that this kind of story telling to me it's nothing new. Everytime writers want to use Superman has a punching bag for villains, they find a way to depower him.

I'm even gonna bet, that even though his powers are fading, the vulnerability to kryptonite will not fade. That way they want to show a Superman that will be forced to use intelligence and strategy instead of plain old raw power.

But that doesn't make it a good story. Not at all. It's just telling the same old story and add a few tweaks and turns to it, and calling it new.

And always. Always. It's Superman taking the extreme pressure and pain express to whatever it will lead. Why don't we see Bruce Wayne loose all of his fortune. All of it. Have his secrets spilled for the whole world to know, and still try to be Batman. And the same for Diana, Barry and Arthur. To have them become the most vulnerable way possible while having to face all manner of threats with no one to come to their rescue.

This gimmick used on Superman is getting old, and honestly it serves little purpose in terms of character development. I know it should be the other way around. Kal should come out of this trials stronger and better than ever before, but he never does.

I'll wait, read and judge the results for myself. Always hoping that something really good will come out of all of this. But I'm also prepared for what DC Comics has taught me in the past. That most likely this will lead nowhere. Just another bump in the road for Superman.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Archizooom

@superguy1591 said:

@brunnhilde: I thought this is what you wanted: a man that plays Robin to Diana's Batman.

What I want is a woman who's not the Robin to Superman's Batman, or any man, not necessarily a situation where Superman plays second fiddle to Wonder Woman which he will not. The desire to be the clan's dominant unit is distinctly masculine. Did you know, in many primate species, when the alpha-male dies and a matriarch takes control, the females as well as the lower-caste males live in peace until a new alpha-male emerges to make life horribly unfair again.

giorgis101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still better than the lame overpowered Superman

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Lvenger

@dernman said:

@lvenger: I've had enough. It just keeps getting worse. Call me when it's over.

Yeah same, I've been on a Superman back issue hunt finding Superman stories I can actually enjoy for a change.

@squalleon said:

I never made that parallel. It actually fits. It is ironic considering Pak is known for writing all powerful characters :P

That is what he's known for writing in the Big Two, especially in Marvel for Hercules and Hulk runs. Though he

@jaken7 said:

Believe me I'd rather not be complaining about my favourite character's stories being this bad, I really would. But considering that Truth is almost a step by step recipie for everything I hate reading in Superman comics, I simply cannot help but be ticked off by the terrible state of Superman's comics currently. Truth is taking away everything I love about Superman so I'm not going to withhold my annoyance with these changes just because of your post.

Pak's a decent comic writer and I enjoy his Hulk run but just because he's good at writing Marvel characters doesn't make him any good at writing DC characters. And his Action Comics run is proof of that point for me. It's absolutely not unfair to criticise something this early when all information and solicits for Truth paint a picture of yet another story of breakdown and deconstructive regression for Superman . Of course maybe Wildcard will like it, that guy is easily pleased by someone dangling keys above him but some of us want more evolved and sophisticated Superman comics.

Moreover, Wildcard's wrong again (what a surprise) on why I love Superman. Yes I love the icon but that's because of his humanity and his upbringing. You can't have one without the other and today's Superman writers are simply failing at writing a Super-Man currently.

Also that's sort of a hypocritical comment from you given your reputation for starting heated discussions based on what you don't like either.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591 said:

What I want is a woman who's not the Robin to Superman's Batman, or any man, not necessarily a situation where Superman plays second fiddle to Wonder Woman which he will not. The desire to be the clan's dominant unit is distinctly masculine. Did you know that in many primate species, when the alpha-male dies and and a matriarch takes control, the females as well as the lower-caste males live in peace until a new alpha-male emerges to make life horribly unfair again. Likewise, I suspect that with Superman and Batman out of the picture, the dcu would be a better place for the rest of us

What was the point of changing your name if you're just going to act the same?

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@lvenger: I knew you weren't going to like this lol

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: Either I'm getting too predictable or you know how I like my Superman lol. I suppose it would be a given I wouldn't like Truth given what it entails. And it lasting a year doesn't excite me either. I'm guessing you like the sound of this crossover?

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By JakeN7

@lvenger: How does chastising you for being a cynic make me a hypocrite because I engage in heated discussions?

Pak has struck a great balance between the icon and the humanity. But you see what you want to see, just like Saint who thinks all Pak has to his run is a Man of Necksnap allegory about "a guy trying to do the right thing". Fact is, he has both. He has the Super, and he has the Man. But you guys can cherry pick what you want, I'll just enjoy a comic that I personally love.