how would you retcon superman how would you do it?

• 115 results
SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By SOG7dc

im curious. I know id make some drastic changes

Avatar image for the_legendary_supersaiyan_hulk
The_Legendary_SuperSaiyan_Hulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Me being the pure evil person I am would do the most heinous act I can think of that would bring every Superman fan to their knees in disgust...I'd...turn him into Goku!! Mwuahahaha!

stephens2177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By stephens2177

Between the new 52 and the Man of Steel movie DC has everything they need to make a great Superman.

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kill,kill,kill,kill

Durakken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 200

User Lists: 1

More focus on philosophical stances towards how to guide humanity and just how much force to use in dealing with any situation rather than just straight fighting. A focus on relationship between him and those around him. Lois and him might be married, but they'd have problems and deal with quite a number of issues.

Luthor would be given a reason to fear an alien invasion from him, maybe through Zod, where Zod attacks, superman saves the world, and Luthor thinks it's a plan to woo humans rather than out of caring for humanity.

PreCrisisFlea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Current Superman is about to lose to a big threat, along with the rest of DCU. Multiverse will be destroyed. A gas station owner in a small town says, "well, I guess retirement is over." Pre-COIE Earth 1 Superman returns, defeats the threat, doesn't whine, doesn't kill anyone. Current Superman changes his name to Superbman, Superman tells Superbman not to worry, his Lois is too young for him, and resumes his career where he left of in 1986.

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not make superman so f**king over powered

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Not make superman so f**king over powered

How very uncreative.

I say make him more powerful and get a writer who really understands Superman.

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comicstooge: that's not creative at all. Hint silver age superman

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By Nerx
No Caption Provided

• Power level: silver/bronze age
  • Story style: red son
  • World feel: watchmen
  • Kryptonite feels: viltrumite
  • Attitude: homelander
  • Competence: majestic
  • Weakness: k-stone/magic
  • Scale: galactic to high universal
  • Jla Mentality: human corps
  • highlight: redo the SoK feat but with God showing feats
  • political correctness level: golden age
  • writer(s) on board: Ellis, moore
  • Artist: Joe Madureira
  • Imprint: Vertigo

He will repopulate kryptonite with his cousins

he will rock a beard and swing his sword
he will rock a beard and swing his sword

___

• Luthor will be physically disabled in one way or another
  • Jimmy Olsen will take a prominent role
  • Lois leads will be a 'Julian Assange' figure
  • No ma no pa
ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ComicStooge

@russellmania77 said:

I retort you with: All-Star Superman.

And some Silver Age stories were really fun. The comic medium has evolved to the point were a good writer can be perfectly capable of writing a good story about a supremely powerful being.

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By russellmania77

@comicstooge: how long was all star superman again? It's good for short stories (superman prime 1 milk) but it gets very boring very quick if its a continuity

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ComicStooge

@russellmania77: That's subjective opinion. I like some of the Silver Age stories.

Hell, Pre-reboot the Flash was a lot more powerful than Superman but he still had an ongoing series.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@russellmania77: Not to mention I could name at least 10 earth based heroes more powerful then Superman.

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comicstooge: and yet supes is now flicking him around

Only after Flash made a fool of him and later outraced the Omega Beams, something Superman couldn't do.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comicstooge: because flash had to run away from it, unlike superman

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comicstooge: because flash had to run away from it, unlike superman

He didn't tank it at all, he was pretty much half dead. Plus, Darkseid needed him alive to create an army. Did you even read those first few issues of Justice League?

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By russellmania77
ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comicstooge: and how exciting are they're stories?

Awesome.

I loved Pre-New 52 JSA, Martian Manhunter is my 2nd favourite DC character, Flash has had some awesome stories, the Green Lantern books I really enjoyed, Captain Atom's Armageddon mini-series was epic, the Shade's Maxi-series was enjoyable, Firestorm's part in Brightest Day was something I really liked and Swamp Thing (written by Alan Moore) had some of the greatest stories in comicbook history.

These characters are all more powerful then Superman and have some wonderful stories.

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comicstooge: half dead>dead

Darkseid needed him alive. And just because Flash's durability isn't as good as Superman's that makes Flash an ant in comparison?

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ComicStooge

@comicstooge: depends, can flash survive a super nova?

He could just outrun in.

So you're basing Superman's "overpoweredness" on his durability? Superman usually gets KO'd by Supernovas.

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nerx: I hope you're kidding.

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Nerx

@comicstooge: The beard stays, although seeing superman take the role of Zod does seem fun

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@russellmania77 said:

I retort you with: All-Star Superman.

And some Silver Age stories were really fun. The comic medium has evolved to the point were a good writer can be perfectly capable of writing a good story about a supremely powerful being.

I would do this....:

i think they should retconn superman and heres how i think they should do it:

-this is how the red sun thing should work; the red son doesnt give him powers but it doesnt take them away either. so for instance from the time he first arrived in earth he absorbs the yellow sun radiation nd becomes infinitely more powerful. so say he encounters a red sun in outer space. he doesnt gain MORE strength but he doesnt lose it either. and this brings about supermans "holding back" complex too. since he's always holding back while he's always getting stronger. id love to read that!

-there should only be three characters who hve or can get kryptonite reltively easily. Batman, Lex and Metallo. evrybody else should have to go through hell to get it. the way its written now every tom dick and harry has a rock in their backyard.

- remove to ridiculous vulnurability to magic. mke him as invulnurable to magic as he is to any thing else. this is why i hate reading a superman/shazam book because i know at some point shazam is just going to hold him and yell "shazam!" til supes is near death. thats boring nd thts lazy writing. according to this weakness thor, wonderwomn, dr fate, dr strange, black adam, shazam should all curbstomp superman

-i dont have a quote unquote "problem" with the not being able to see through lead...i just dont understand it or see why its at all necessary

-superman should be established firmly as having incalculable strength. ive read a thousand times "superman is as strong as he needs to be." id like to see that in practice. there are alot of inconsistencies in superman. he's a planet buster but needs help with moving earth and strains even with help? that stuff should be cleaned up superman should have perpetually incresing strength based on what i said should happen with his yellow sun absorbtion

-flash should be the only thing in the universe faster, on any level, than superman... PERIOD

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: seem to be favoritism involved with removal of magic and red sun there, also the incalculable strength thing is problematic if most of his enemies display the same level as well.

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc:

Destroying planet with your body has nothing to do with how much you can lift or push.

When you are destroying a planet with a punch, all you need is enough speed and enough durability, it has nothing to do with lifting strength.

You could be unable to lift 1 T, but if you are able to fly FTL and if you have enough durability you should be able to destroy a planet.

he needs help move earth is great feats,raw muscle strength feats,you should be got it

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By SOG7dc

@nerx: I'd agree with that lol he is my favorite character. And the redaun thing and magic are pointless and stupid

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@powerwoman: Superman doesn't need help moving a planet though...

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: Depending on the version,Pre-crisis,no,Pre-52,yes,New 52,no

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: but it is better than DC making about ten, twenty or thirty beings that can kick his ass flat on the pavement because the lack of magic and red son

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nerx: Marvels top tier heroes have no weaknesses so why should dc's?

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By SOG7dc

@powerwoman: Give me one reason new 52 supes shouldn't be powerful

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc said:

@nerx: Marvels top tier heroes have no weaknesses so why should dc's?

It is why he's superman, he's a kryptonian and he's unique that way

both plus and minus

since if you don't have a specific weakness all they have to do is to spam overpowered characters at their faces

a weakness makes him alert and it correlates with his power.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nerx: So why don't Thor WW MM flash or silver surfer have weaknesses

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: Their weakness is their power comes from a provider Galactus/Odin and it can be removed at any time, superman's powers come from himself thus it can be removed when his body is affected. Unless you want a bland hero that gets beat every issue with stronger villains until superman pulls a 'hail mary' and win.

Also surfer operates on a grander scale as he is a cosmic hero, superman is an earther who occasionally drifts to space.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nerx: That is so weak. Ur telling me third weakness is the guy a billion times stringer than him? That's not a weakness. And supes is on surfers level

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc:

• Surfer and Thor are errand boys given allowance by their daddies, superman is an independent
  • It is unique, and it is an integral part of his character.
  • It is everyone's weakness since nobody is the 'strongest' character
  • unless you want superman beating Yahweh/Jehovah with a dusty bible then be my guest
  • Surfer fought cosmics and beat them in annihilation, superman fought high end metas on most occasions minus mxy and in that one he had to use his wits.

he is strong by weak human standards, but in the grand scheme of things he is insignificant

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nerx: Errand boy with no weakness other than the guy that gave him power, and the guy who he'll eventually surpass in power. Superman regularly fights darksied and Orion. He's on surfers level

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@sog7dc: -this is how the red sun thing should work; the red son doesnt give him powers but it doesnt take them away either. so for instance from the time he first arrived in earth he absorbs the yellow sun radiation nd becomes infinitely more powerful. so say he encounters a red sun in outer space. he doesnt gain MORE strength but he doesnt lose it either.

This the Red Son taking away his powers was dumb there was no reason to add that. It was never like that before and there was no indication hit of it before. They used the excuse because they had not powers on Krypton the red son must take powers away when the reason was there just no yellow sun do give them powers.

-there should only be three characters who hve or can get kryptonite reltively easily. Batman, Lex and Metallo. evrybody else should have to go through hell to get it. the way its written now every tom dick and harry has a rock in their backyard.

I would go a step further and go back to the time there were only a few chunks left on Earth period. If you do see a chuck it's usually one thats already been seen and used.

remove to ridiculous vulnurability to magic. mke him as invulnurable to magic as he is to any thing else. this is why i hate reading a superman/shazam book because i know at some point shazam is just going to hold him and yell "shazam!" til supes is near death. thats boring nd thts lazy writing. according to this weakness thor, wonderwomn, dr fate, dr strange, black adam, shazam should all curbstomp superman

I think they handled the magic thing wrong. Superman was originally meant to be effected by magic like everyone else. Magic was suppose to be something different and not just another form of energy. Which to me makes sense but it doesn't make sense that someone like Martian Manhunter isn't treated the same way.

superman should be established firmly as having incalculable strength. ive read a thousand times "superman is as strong as he needs to be." id like to see that in practice. there are alot of inconsistencies in superman. he's a planet buster but needs help with moving earth and strains even with help? that stuff should be cleaned up superman should have perpetually incresing strength based on what i said should happen with his yellow sun absorbtion

I would handle the powers from the yellow sun differently. Instead of it being absorbtion like a battery it would be more like over a life time of yellow rays promoting the body to naturally produce his super condition. Like how normal people who get sun are going to be healthier than someone who doesn't. The battery things I would leave for flight and heat vision.

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc:

Errand boy with no weakness other than the guy that gave him power, and the guy who he'll eventually surpass in power. Superman regularly fights darksied and Orion. He's on surfers level

Fist fighting and darkseid seldom uses his 'omega beams' on supes or go all out, superman is just superman. He stays that way since he cannot solve every problem by himself. He is strong, but he is not a 'mary sue' archetype.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers