How powerful is MoS Superman?

Avatar image for hocko1999_virus
Hocko1999_VIRUS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Like many movie superheroes, Superman in Man of Steel has been considerably powered down. However, he is still considerably powerful in this movie, he's much stronger than, say, most heroes in MCU (who are all basically high-end street levelers besides the Hulk). Him holding up that oil platform while in his less powerful state is far more impressive than anything the Avengers did (besides Hulk pushing that giant alien ship thing).

But how powerful is he? Who in the comics could he compare to? What's potentially his biggest feat, or who's the toughest guy he could beat?

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Withstanding and then pushing against a gravitational force that was holding back the ocean much like the parting of the Red Sea, all while in a weakened state. That's an immense feat even by comic standards. Don't know who he could compare too, maybe Byrne's Superman.

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Well he can effortlessly snap a kryptonians neck, so pretty damn strong.

Assman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well he can effortlessly snap a kryptonians neck, so pretty damn strong.

A Kryptonian snapping another Kryptonian's neck, I'd say that would be standard.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty powerful. That was kind of crazy how the terraforming machine basically made the area around him similar to Krypton, yet despite this weakening him he was still capable of destroying it.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

About the same as the animated series

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I believe that MOS Superman mostly is on Byrne’s level of power, but with increased flight speed (he crossed all that distance from destroyed World’s Engine to Metropolis pretty fast – faster than post-CoIE Superman possibly could have imo) and with vastly upped stamina and durability (final fight with Zod was pretty brutal – and yet no wounds on both sides plus tanking gravitational beam of World’s Engine while weakened for prolonged time – extremely impressive).

Avatar image for christianrapper
christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like many movie superheroes, Superman in Man of Steel has been considerably powered down. However, he is still considerably powerful in this movie, he's much stronger than, say, most heroes in MCU (who are all basically high-end street levelers besides the Hulk). Him holding up that oil platform while in his less powerful state is far more impressive than anything the Avengers did (besides Hulk pushing that giant alien ship thing).

But how powerful is he? Who in the comics could he compare to? What's potentially his biggest feat, or who's the toughest guy he could beat?

he is powerful enough to survive in space. that's pretty powerful.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#12  Edited By amazing_webhead
SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

Duzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

@duzz:

The action. Those action scenes were amazing

Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@sog7dc: Yes. Yes they were. When he lifted the Island I was fangasming.

Avatar image for hocko1999_virus
Hocko1999_VIRUS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Hocko1999_VIRUS

Who's the toughest character from the comics he could beat? Who's the weakest character who could beat him?

ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd say he's on par with DCAU Superman, maybe even Superman/Batman: Apocalypse Superman. He just needs more experience

SuperAdam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Being able to withstand the gravitational forces that were reshaping the Earth is pretty darn strong, IMO.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By rogueshadow  Moderator

Pretty powerful, it's doubtful we have seen close to his upper limits yet.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty much. He needs to get those speed feats up though. I don't think he even had "faster than a speeding bullet" reflexes.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By rogueshadow  Moderator

@saint_wildcard: I think one of the early scenes will establish what a fully in control Superman can do, showcasing his speed. One thingI hope they don't do is play him up as super intelligent, that's a characteristic I don't like when I read Superman, it dehumanises him, plus it just makes plots stupid.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_wildcard: I think one of the early scenes will establish what a fully in control Superman can do, showcasing his speed.

Oh I'm sure too. If not speed, at least more experienced with his powers. I'm sure he'll also save a kitty cat to please some people.

One thingI hope they don't do is play him up as super intelligent, that's a characteristic I don't like when I read Superman, it dehumanises him, plus it just makes plots stupid.

A man after my own heart. Yeah, I'm very indifferent towards Super Intelligence. It creates more plot holes than it....well it only creates plot holes.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 rogueshadow  Moderator

@saint_wildcard: I'd like a scene similar to the one in Superman Returns where he outpaces and blocks a bullet, it was a cool scene. I think the whole ordeal in Metropolis will be a major point of contention in BvS, it will be about Superman proving to humanity that he's one of them and he's on their side, so saving kittens from trees is a must, lol.

ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rogueshadow said:

Pretty much. He needs to get those speed feats up though. I don't think he even had "faster than a speeding bullet" reflexes.

He dodged fire from an A-18 Hornet's auto cannon

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ganon15 said:

@saint_wildcard said:

@rogueshadow said:

I don't recall that. I remember him tanking a head shot from one though, which is not dodging

I think the whole ordeal in Metropolis will be a major point of contention in BvS, it will be about Superman proving to humanity that he's one of them and he's on their side, so saving kittens from trees is a must, lol.

I've always stated and hold hope that this will be the case. The story arc of Superman growing into the hero he is in the comics, interests me a lot.

ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ganon15 said:

@saint_wildcard said:

@rogueshadow said:

I don't recall that. I remember him tanking a head shot from one though, which is not dodging

Loading Video...

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In terms of strength, speed, and durability, he's one of the most powerful heroes we've ever seen.

zaied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By zaied

TBD. He should be pretty solid once DoJ, Justice League, and MoS2 are out.

JJ_Was_Here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@assman: Until your avatar is changed, I am going to agree with everything you say.

W3BST3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, I thought about this a while ago after watching the movie for the 300th time. They boxed Supes in because they took away his tactile TK. He won't be stopping any plane crashes. The oil rig girder folded around him. SMR Supes or even in the comics, he would've held the entire thing without it crumbling under its own weight.