How much does Man of Steel have to make worldwide to be a success

Asgardian Hulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Asgardian Hulk

In 2006, Superman Returns made 200 million in the U.S. and 391 milllion worldwide and got positive reviews from critics. Warner Bros. said they were hoping for 500 million worldwide.

In 2013, Man of Steel will need to make at least 400 million to beat Superman Returns disappointing box office. The Avengers grossed 1.5 billion, and the Dark Knight and the Dark Knight Rises grossed over 1 billion a piece.

Warner Bros. is in need of a franchise:

Harry Potter is done. Nolan's Batman is done. The Green Lantern flopped. The Hobbit is being stretched into 3 movies to make it seem like Warner Bros. actually still has a huge franchise left.

Will Man of Steel be a success if it only barely surpasses Superman Returns gross. Incredible Hulk barely passed Hulk's gross and Marvel Studios has no plans to give the character another film anytime soon.

How much does Man of Steel have to make for Warner Bros. to go forward with more DC films that aren't Batman?

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By dernman

Allot of it depends on how much it costs to make.

Asgardian Hulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Asgardian Hulk

@Dernman: A lot.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SandMan_

Hopefully...They will market it well.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By dernman
@Asgardian Hulk:    -__-
Asgardian Hulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Asgardian Hulk

I don't know how many people will want to see Superman fight Zod. It'll probably be cool, but after seeing the Avengers and the Dark Knight Rises, it'll probably look weak in comparison.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SandMan_

Not sure why it would look weak. Done right it could look like a real life DBZ like movie.

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

@SandMan_: A WELL DONE DBZ movie, lest we forget the abomination that was Evolution.

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Eternal19

If the movie is good people will tell other people to go see it. The reason The Avengers and The Dark Knight made so much money is because they were marketed good and because the actual movie was good.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SandMan_
@Smart_Dork_Dude said:

@SandMan_: A WELL DONE DBZ movie, lest we forget the abomination that was Evolution.

Yes....XD
MisterKetch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MisterKetch

How much did the first Iron Man make, add a bit to make up for the larger budget, I'd say around 6-7 hundred million, though getting the movie going public excited about future DC movies could mean billions for WB. But at the end of the day I think Marvel has more recognizable characters so the JL project in general is an uphill battle to get people excited for a Flash movie

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By UltimateSMfan

@Asgardian Hulk: its not just zod he's fighting theres zod's partner as well faora or something,plus with a kryptonian powerset,and zack snyder incharge theres noway(in anycase) a freaking fight between three kryptonians will look weak,plus,theres an all-star cast. that kinda casting helped wit the avengers and DK.

@MisterKetch: no way marvel has more recognizable characters,maybe only spiderman and the x-men...the avenger characters are more recognizable now to non comic book readers cuz of all the movies.ask any non comic reader who antman is before the movie comes out.

and dkr and avengers did so well,being good movies in itself( i loved them the avengers gave me a 2 day long adrenaline rush) plus they were built upto from the previous films. imo dkr was on a larger scale but i still prefer tdk...mainly cuz of joker(Heath ledger)

Mainly as a huge supes fan im hoping its gonna be awesome but seeing what all has gone into the film,i have no doubt it'll be great.Henry cavill wouldn't have done all that work n gotten so buff for nothing.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By sethysquare

@Asgardian Hulk said:

I don't know how many people will want to see Superman fight Zod. It'll probably be cool, but after seeing the Avengers and the Dark Knight Rises, it'll probably look weak in comparison.

I don't think the movie is only about superman fight zod. it'll be a completely new take on Superman. People are excited about that.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By z3ro180

it all has to do with marketing

holaso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By holaso

Being a long time Superman fan, a new take on the character is nice...BUT, the general audiences really need a differentiating villain to make the hero stand out and mean something. Luthor is done. The only other supervillains that are colorful enough to wow an audience would be BRANIAC, DARKSEID, or DOOMSDAY. Zod is too much of a 'superman' to really stand out unless they take the time to build his character. :(

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16  Edited By Pyrogram

@UltimateSMfan said:

@Asgardian Hulk: its not just zod he's fighting theres zod's partner as well faora or something,plus with a kryptonian powerset,and zack snyder incharge theres noway(in anycase) a freaking fight between three kryptonians will look weak,plus,theres an all-star cast. that kinda casting helped wit the avengers and DK.

@MisterKetch: no way marvel has more recognizable characters,maybe only spiderman and the x-men...the avenger characters are more recognizable now to non comic book readers cuz of all the movies.ask any non comic reader who antman is before the movie comes out.

and dkr and avengers did so well,being good movies in itself( i loved them the avengers gave me a 2 day long adrenaline rush) plus they were built upto from the previous films. imo dkr was on a larger scale but i still prefer tdk...mainly cuz of joker(Heath ledger)

Mainly as a huge supes fan im hoping its gonna be awesome but seeing what all has gone into the film,i have no doubt it'll be great.Henry cavill wouldn't have done all that work n gotten so buff for nothing.

No man, just no, who do DC have?

Superman

Batman

Robin

Maybe green lantern, but most of my freinds have no clue

wonder women

about it. No one else comes to mind who is known. Marvel have WAYYY more.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SmashBrawler

@Pyrogram said:

@UltimateSMfan said:

Superman

Batman

Robin

wonder women

Are you really going to devolve this into a DC vs. Marvel thread?

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#18  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@Pyrogram: DC definitely have more recognizable characters than Marvel. Everybody in the world knows Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, The Flash, not to mention all the Bat characters (Robin, Catwoman ect) At Marvel you'v got the Hulk, Spider-Man, the X-Men (but I doubt most could name the actual characters) and maybe the Fantastic Four

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Twentyfive

More than it took to make it. At least 2.5 times more.

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By UltimateSMfan

@SmashBrawler: no intention of that.

@Pyrogram: ya maybe now cuz of the movies,m talkin abt in general wit non comic readers. everybody knows abt he JL cuz of the animated series. plus marvel may have a larger no. of recognizable characters but the no. of people who recognize superman is well everybody.

ps.- Arrow might spark the ppls interest in green arrow. *fingers crossed*

Luster77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Luster77

I believe this movie will hit its mark. I see at least 550mill world wide. The story has to make sense and be Good....Superman is the SHHHH!!! So what he does in this movie has to be the stuff of legend. Superman Returns was a good movie, it was....But it was just another version of a Christopher Reeve Superman....It should have been sum very HIGH TECH stuff going on in that movie....

What will definitely make this movie is the actor who's playing him and most important, how he uses his powers.....All that jazz that Neo did in the final 2 installments of the Matrix Trilogy is what has go down in this film....Neo pretty much showed you what Superman can do as far as flight, speed and power and what it should look like in a movie

Galactic_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Galactic_Man

The story isn't the problem - it's the character himself. I think that even though a lot of people are excited for this film because Christopher Nolan is producing, after Superman Returns and the 10 year run of Smallville, people may be tired of seeing different storylines or the same ones... But since box-office performance only matters to people these days - the film needs to be in 3D... Wait, is it? Can someone confirm if Man of Steel will be in 3D? I actually have no idea XD

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SmashBrawler

@Galactic_Man said:

The story isn't the problem - it's the character himself. I think that even though a lot of people are excited for this film because Christopher Nolan is producing, after Superman Returns and the 10 year run of Smallville, people may be tired of seeing different storylines or the same ones... But since box-office performance only matters to people these days - the film needs to be in 3D... Wait, is it? Can someone confirm if Man of Steel will be in 3D? I actually have no idea XD

Yep, 3D is pretty important. One of the reasons TDKR didn't make as much money as The Avengers was because it wasn't in 3D. Personally, I think this was for the best; Nolan hates post-production 3D, and I have to agree with him because most movies end up looking like crap.

However, I heard months ago that apparently MOS would be getting the post-production 3D treatment. It was long time ago, so I don't remember if it was true or not, but a lot of people were upset, so I'm guessing it was.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By Deranged Midget

People seem to be forgetting what makes Superman who he is. Superman Returns had far less action that a lot of people hoped it would but it get's too much criticism for what it did do right. It was a more down to Earth representation of the Man of Steel, show-casing more of his humanity and his care for the people of Earth and what-not. People seem to adore Superman simply because he can "punch the crap out of things" but honestly, that's one of the last reasons I love the character. Superman is the inspiration to even some of the world's greatest superheroes, he set's the example for everyone even if that's not his intention. His sense of morality, his upbringing, it all ties into what makes him one of the most respected and iconic characters in comics.

Regardless, having Nolan involved with the film will no doubt spark a lot of interest.

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By Bruxae

A good starting point would be to have the movie NOT star Lex Luthor or Zod or any "human-like" character, its been done to much and it didnt work well, it was infact quite boring.

Superman is the ultimate powerhouse, I say give him a proper monster to fight and dont hold back on the budget and im sure it will make more then enough money.

Avatar image for beautifulrevery
beautifulrevery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By beautifulrevery

@Bruxae said:

A good starting point would be to have the movie NOT star Lex Luthor or Zod or any "human-like" character, its been done to much and it didnt work well, it was infact quite boring.

Superman is the ultimate powerhouse, I say give him a proper monster to fight and dont hold back on the budget and im sure it will make more then enough money.

If Man of Steel does well I can see them doing Doomsday for the second or 3rd film. The first one should go to Braniac in my opinion. Iconic Superman villain that's definitely colorful enough to compete with the Marvel cinematic universe

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

#27  Edited By Black_Claw

@Smart_Dork_Dude said:

This. So very much. But back on topic, I think it will have to make $500- $600 million at the box office in order to be a sucess.

jobbernos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By jobbernos

@Pyrogram said:

@UltimateSMfan said:

Superman

Batman

Robin

wonder women

actually dc has all the most known and iconic characters... the question is who do marvel have? spiderman and wolverine thats all really...

jobbernos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By jobbernos

i estimate that MOS will make around 400 million domestically and near 1 billion world wide.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SandMan_

Well...I think it might reach a billion. The marketing has been pretty good.

amutant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

I think it'll do extraordinarily well.

Asiahispanico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I read in one of the articles on comicbookmovies.com that just in advertising alone, Man of Steel has made 170 Million. The budget of the movie is said to be at around 175 million. If these numbers are accurate, then the movie can only make money from this point on. I hope it does because poor Clark needs some limelight.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

#33  Edited By Black_Claw

@bruxae: Lex is the arch enemy, so I think it's inevitable he's gonna show up in a future film (much like how people could tell it was only a matter of time till the Joker showed up in TDK trilogy). When Lex does show up I pray to god they have Mercy by his side instead of those two retarded sidekicks he had in the old movies.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

Economically speaking, profits must be strictly greater than 0.

Anyway, whether a film like this sells a lot is secondary importance.

Green Lantern grossed over $200,000,000 but I doubt that the film is considered a success...so much so that I don't think there's even a sequel in the making.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The budget of MoS is around 225 mils, it needs to make more than 500 mils to be successful. I think it will make 600-800 mils,

Opening Weekend - 80-100 mils.

Domestic Total - 250-300 mils

International Total - 350-500 mils

cesarauny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgardian_hulk:

You said this????:

#1 Posted by Asgardian Hulk (77 posts) - 8 months, 25 days ago - Show Bio

In 2006, Superman Returns made 200 million in the U.S. and 391 million worldwide and got positive reviews from critics. Warner Bros. said they were hoping for 500 million worldwide.

In 2013, Man of Steel will need to make at least 400 million to beat Superman Returns disappointing box office. The Avengers grossed 1.5 billion, and the Dark Knight and the Dark Knight Rises grossed over 1 billion a piece.

Warner Bros. is in need of a franchise:

YOU ARE COMPLETELY WRONG MAN!!!! STOP DECEIVING PEOPLE LIKE THAT!!!

Check the real box office for Superman Returns here!!!

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=superman06.htm

Domestic:$200,081,19251.2% IN THE USA
+ Foreign: $191,000,00048.8% IN THE WORLD
= Worldwide:$391,081,192 TOTAL BOX OFFICE FOR SUPERMAN RETURNS

MAN OF STEEL

Domestic:$248,577,59647.8% IN USA
+ Foreign: $271,700,00052.2% IN THE WORLD
= Worldwide:$520,277,596 TOTAL BOX OFFICE AND we have one or two more weeks left

MAN OF STEEL HAS REACHED ALMOST TWICE the BOX Office of "BAD MOVIE RETURNS"

DON´T PAY ATTENTION TO THIS MARVEL´S FAN!!! WE ARE GOING TO HAVE OUR JUSTICE LEAGUE EPIC MOVIE!!!

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

It's already a success.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By SandMan_

It already passed the half a billion mark.

CODYSF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for consolemaster001
consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

It's already a success.

@sandman_ said:

It already passed the half a billion mark.

Yep