• 57 results
  • 1
  • 2
Edited 3 months, 14 days ago

Poll: How fast is Superman in combat? (57 votes)

Massively Hyper Sonic 25%
5% to 50% Lightspeed 16%
55% to 85% Lightspeed 9%
85% Lightspeed to Lightspeed 19%
FTL 23%
Much FTL 9%

I am talking about

COMBAT SPEED

Flying speed, especially with build up, or in a straight line doesnt count

Running Does NOT count, that is propelling forward at X speed, Not moving limbs at such speed

Must involve some movement of limbs or action, Not just moving from point A to B, I am looking for combat speed not reaction speed.

Show some feats and argue guys!

#1 Posted by DemonKnights (5394 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends on his morals/ mindset

#2 Posted by never give up (9633 posts) - - Show Bio

Not a battle

#3 Posted by reaverlation (16393 posts) - - Show Bio

Not a battle

Move to Superman board's

@saren or god_spawn or @vance_astro please

#4 Posted by dondave (38488 posts) - - Show Bio

Not a Battle

#5 Posted by Rulerofthevine (454 posts) - - Show Bio

Below light speed according to WW.

Online
#6 Posted by Pizzaman (633 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm going with 5% to 50% light speed.

#7 Posted by MonsterStomp (19246 posts) - - Show Bio

I just said massively hypersonic. They don't really say how fast he's fighting at all the time.

#8 Posted by kniferush123 (4 posts) - - Show Bio

I have to say 5-50% as well simple because a lot of the times he doesn't fight super fast, he just brawls with the other guy

#9 Posted by dccomicsrule2011 (25540 posts) - - Show Bio

Sub-Light.

#10 Posted by New_World_Order (13283 posts) - - Show Bio

Fast enough to steal your girl before you know it.

#11 Posted by SuperTroll (113 posts) - - Show Bio

In combat. he is as fast as he has to be. seriously.

#12 Edited by dondave (38488 posts) - - Show Bio

Although I will say he's definitely faster than light. Being able to walk around in a fraction of a nanosecond like nothing has changed makes him much FTL.

#13 Edited by TheMagicStik (1844 posts) - - Show Bio

He has multiple on panel nanosecond reaction feats pre-52 so that's at minimum light speed if he is trying. So I would say FTL not much FTL but his travel speed is much FTL.

#14 Posted by Wyldsong (5679 posts) - - Show Bio

Fast enough to make any scans of Deathstroke bouncing around him like it was nothing PIS...

#15 Posted by DemonKnights (5394 posts) - - Show Bio

Fast enough to land enough blows in a half a second to end thor.

#16 Posted by GhostRavage (9189 posts) - - Show Bio

Massively Hypersonic.

#17 Posted by Racob7 (5892 posts) - - Show Bio

5% to 50% lightspeed.

#18 Posted by dccomicsrule2011 (25540 posts) - - Show Bio

@dondave said:

Although I will say he's definitely faster than light. Being able to walk around in a fraction of a nanosecond like nothing has changed makes him much FTL.

I'm pretty sure that's an very, very, high showing. Especially given Supreman's power level at that moment in time, and there being several feats that contradict this.

#19 Posted by dondave (38488 posts) - - Show Bio
#20 Posted by dccomicsrule2011 (25540 posts) - - Show Bio

@dondave said:

@dccomicsrule2011 Superman was portrayed as much weaker in the 80's

That is exactly why I have such a hard time accepting that feat.

Superman was getting smacked around by a Mammoth who couldn't even lift 50 tons, whooped by a vampire, wrecked by weather manipulating machine, and hurt by hydrogen torpedoes shot by Gizmo to the back, and I'm supposed to believe he is that fast compared to his later incarnations?

#21 Posted by Superguy1591 (3481 posts) - - Show Bio

lightspeed/below lightspeed (80-99%)

#22 Edited by buttersdaman000 (9962 posts) - - Show Bio

I think his reactions and knee jerk movements are FTL, however, his actual combat speed is light speed at best. The way I see it, combat speed is a combination of thought speed and reaction speed. It can be as fast as the characters thoughts since a voluntary synapse must fire in order to move. But combat speed cannot be as fast as reaction speed since reactions, knee jerk movements are involuntary. The only character with combat speed as fast as his reactions that I can think of would be Noh-Varr. IIRC his white running ability shuts of his consciousness allowing him to run on pure instinct.

#23 Posted by ThanosIsMad (2224 posts) - - Show Bio

As fast as he needs to be. Based on the general showings of speedsters or people with super speed in general, I take them as mentally capping their speed as the need arises, which explains why Superman is fast enough to catch bullets one second but is slow enough to be tagged by someone like Mammoth, who has no real speed. Toss him in a fight with say, Wonder Woman or another Kryptonian and he'll regulate his body accordingly.

This theory of mine was somewhat confirmed during the Grounded storyline where Superman had to consciously speed up his level of perception because Barry-Flash was moving and talking faster than he could register prior to the mental adjustments.

#24 Edited by ScottvsTheWorld (49 posts) - - Show Bio

From what I can tell he only seems to be hypersonic to massively hypersonic in terms of combat speed,although he is able to travel and see/think/talk/perceive at much greater speeds. If this weren't true, then he wouldn't have been beaten all those times when bloodlusted/mind controlled, nor would (any) Flash make comments about how much ridiculously faster he is than him. Not that being massively hypersonic is in any way slow, mind you.

#25 Posted by Lvenger (20720 posts) - - Show Bio

I think his reactions and knee jerk movements are FTL, however, his actual combat speed is light speed at best. The way I see it, combat speed is a combination of thought speed and reaction speed. It can be as fast as the characters thoughts since a voluntary synapse must fire in order to move. But combat speed cannot be as fast as reaction speed since reactions, knee jerk movements are involuntary.

This sums up my view as well.

#26 Edited by ArchiZoom (1124 posts) - - Show Bio

Faster than light, not by any stretch of the imagination. Sam Lane would never be able to hit Superman if he were that swift. He might be as fast as light in outer space where there's little to no friction but not on earth.

#27 Edited by w0nd (3708 posts) - - Show Bio

@thanosismad said:

As fast as he needs to be. Based on the general showings of speedsters or people with super speed in general, I take them as mentally capping their speed as the need arises, which explains why Superman is fast enough to catch bullets one second but is slow enough to be tagged by someone like Mammoth, who has no real speed. Toss him in a fight with say, Wonder Woman or another Kryptonian and he'll regulate his body accordingly.

This theory of mine was somewhat confirmed during the Grounded storyline where Superman had to consciously speed up his level of perception because Barry-Flash was moving and talking faster than he could register prior to the mental adjustments.

Seems logical

#28 Edited by Bezza (3719 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't see that he is FTL or faster than FTL in combat speed. He gets tagged too often by Mongul and other slower characters for this to be the case. Flight speed, sure....FTL.

#29 Posted by Jimishim12 (445 posts) - - Show Bio

Fast as he needs to be, he adjusts and anticipates his opponents based on their power and how much of a threat they are by calculating an estimate on how much he needs to exert, since he doesn't like going all out for anyone with few exception, man is like Goku in a sense except he doesn't enjoy the battle.

#30 Posted by Superguy1591 (3481 posts) - - Show Bio

@bezza: It's called PIS, when they w2nt him to fight at potential, he isn't usually touched.

#31 Posted by buttersdaman000 (9962 posts) - - Show Bio

Fast as he needs to be, he adjusts and anticipates his opponents based on their power and how much of a threat they are by calculating an estimate on how much he needs to exert, since he doesn't like going all out for anyone with few exception, man is like Goku in a sense except he doesn't enjoy the battle.

I like this explanation lol

#32 Edited by Bezza (3719 posts) - - Show Bio

@superguy1591:

So every time Superman gets hit, its PIS? I don't think so! Sure, when he is going all out he's very, very fast, but his combat speed is a tier below the Flash or Zoom.

Edit, my answer could be summarised as follows; Not Lightspeed, but fast enough!"

#33 Posted by Superguy1591 (3481 posts) - - Show Bio

@bezza: Not every time, most times though.

#34 Posted by Jimishim12 (445 posts) - - Show Bio

@bezza said:

@superguy1591:

So every time Superman gets hit, its PIS? I don't think so! Sure, when he is going all out he's very, very fast, but his combat speed is a tier below the Flash or Zoom.

Edit, my answer could be summarised as follows; Not Lightspeed, but fast enough!"

Nah it's as much as he wishes it.

#35 Posted by comicboy25 (9 posts) - - Show Bio

55 - 80 percent Max

#36 Posted by SanoHibiki (1584 posts) - - Show Bio

When flying – massively FTL, but when fighting – sometimes it goes to “I forgot to use superspeed”. Most likely massively hypersonic with going into lightspeed on some occasions imo.

#37 Edited by HeavenlyDarkDragon (152 posts) - - Show Bio

You got to remember that Superman isn't the character trying to surpass his limits, he's the guy willingly limitating himself, because even he doe he doesn't know the full extent of his powers, more than once he has been seen flying way faster than light.

Well if we were to translate that to how fast he would be in combat, he would be faster than the Flash, the problem is that he isn't the Flash. He doesn't have an inercia-dampening field like the Flash has. And not only that, he's way more resiliant than the Flash.

Imagine him throwing a punch at someone at light speed, or even hypersonic speed, if we account Superman's invulnerabilty, the sheer force of the impact level would be atomic, multiple weapon of mass destruction level of destruction.

So Superman never fights at his full speed, he can't.

So, going back to the question at hand, Superman in a combat situation is has fast has he sees he can be.

#38 Posted by Spiderman1997 (646 posts) - - Show Bio
#39 Posted by Spiderman1997 (646 posts) - - Show Bio

I voted 55 to 85 but he is really as fast as the writer wants him to be.

#40 Posted by drgnx (3565 posts) - - Show Bio

I think 5-50. I've always figured He gets tagged because he needs to actively speed up his perception and body to move at fast speeds as he lacks flash ability to do this quickly, or Diana's reflex training.

#41 Edited by DemonKnights (5394 posts) - - Show Bio

@demonknights: What does this have to do with Thor ?

Well, the title asks how fast superman is in combat and i answered by saying how fast he is....sooo...what do you think

#42 Posted by cameron83 (7504 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderman1997 said:

@demonknights: What does this have to do with Thor ?

Well, the title asks how fast superman is in combat and i answered by saying how fast he is....sooo...what do you think

But you didn't have to include Thor since he is not relevant to the discussion...I think that that's the point.

Online
#43 Posted by DemonKnights (5394 posts) - - Show Bio

@demonknights said:

@spiderman1997 said:

@demonknights: What does this have to do with Thor ?

Well, the title asks how fast superman is in combat and i answered by saying how fast he is....sooo...what do you think

But you didn't have to include Thor since he is not relevant to the discussion...I think that that's the point.

I used thor as a measuring point. I can do that with anyone. Problem?

#44 Posted by linsanel_Doctor (1344 posts) - - Show Bio

Perhaps his max combat speed is around light speed..

#45 Posted by cameron83 (7504 posts) - - Show Bio

@cameron83 said:

@demonknights said:

@spiderman1997 said:

@demonknights: What does this have to do with Thor ?

Well, the title asks how fast superman is in combat and i answered by saying how fast he is....sooo...what do you think

But you didn't have to include Thor since he is not relevant to the discussion...I think that that's the point.

I used thor as a measuring point. I can do that with anyone. Problem?

To me it more sounds like you were just trying to piss people off or troll.

Oddly enough you chose to do it to a common rival counterpart that Superman is put up against,not just "anyone",but whatever.

Online
#46 Edited by Dynamo8 (446 posts) - - Show Bio

He can move so fast he made my bowels dropped into flaccid!

#47 Posted by DemonKnights (5394 posts) - - Show Bio

@cameron83: nah. I just used him as a tool to measure supermans speed. I dont care who my facts offend.

#48 Posted by cameron83 (7504 posts) - - Show Bio

@cameron83: nah. I just used him as a tool to measure supermans speed. I dont care who my facts offend.

It certainly didn't offend me,if that's what you are implying.

On a second note,I am not sure I believe that...at all. You know,considering that it still stands as being a bit unnecessary,especially when it sounds like the intent was to instigate an argument or reaction....especially considering word choice ("....end Thor")

Online
#49 Posted by DemonKnights (5394 posts) - - Show Bio
#50 Posted by cameron83 (7504 posts) - - Show Bio
Online