Funny things about kryptonite

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

In the past we've seen multiples times that different types of kryptonite, more specifically red-K, gave powers to normal humans. They've changed it a little over the years, but it always went back to the same at point or another.

I thought that in the New 52, DC had outgrown the mistake of saying that ingesting or using radioactivity (even if from an alien mineral) could simply give powers. I had to endure the excess seen in the TV series Smallville, but now it seems that it has returned to the comics. In this past week of the Teen Titans we get four kids that take red-K pills and BAM! instant powers.

Funny how all types of kryptonite hurt Superman in one way or another but expose humans to it and they get powers. Even blue-K that in the pre-flashpoint overcharged his powers now it somehow kills kryptonian spirits.

What's your toughts in the matter?

Do you agree that such cheap tricks continue to be used?

HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Squalleon

If I tried to explain scientifically every single hole comics have I would run out of time. Its nice to give some excuses to not make it completely random but I think getting lost on the explanations and try to be realistic should not be a priority.

But if you really need an explanation think that the K-men were under the command of a 5th dimensional imp. Pre-52 Mxy was the one that MADE red K, maybe Vnx did the same with the blue K.

Also the red K has an unpredictable effect at least up to this point Red K had a different effect every time. Gold K made Supes lose his powers. While blue K affected only Bizarro if I am correct?

HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know. I'm not after a scientific explanation, seeing that there isn't one. But one thing is when they introduce some extra dimensional energy, or some sort of alien tech, and another is when they use some cheap trick like using red-K, Again! If you've noticed they even changed the effects of red-K at first in the New 52, and now they're changing it yet again. In the pre-flashpoint versions red-K in its mineral state caused kryptonians to loose their inhibitions and only if exposed to an altered form of it or if they simply energized it, it would be enough to cause random changes. But in the New 52 red-K was supposed to cause only hallucinations. Even the red-K woman said it so, that her powers caused severe hallucinations.

Actually they never said what blue-K did to Superman directly in the pre-flashpoint. Only that if Bizarro was exposed to green-K he would get a power boost, a kind of overcharge, and if exposed to blue-K it would have the same effect that green had on Superman. But one could use reverse logic to assume that blue-K did to Superman what green-K did to Bizarro. Its logic because when Kara arrived on that gigantic asteroid made of kryptonite, the Earth got an awesome increase in abundance where any criminal had kryptonite to use against Superman. And when they did that global clean up, and Superman was using that special suit to protect himself, he explained the effects of all colors known of kryptonite except blue. Sure I've read somewhere that blue had no effect on him but the truth is that when he was holding the blue he still had the suit on. So obviously he wasn't immune.

To me this kryptonite gives powers to humans is like saying, that if a human went to Mars and found uranium-235 and was exposed to it, he would gain powers, just because it was from a different planet. Radioactivity is radioactivity.

I'm ok with fictional energies like the Speed Force or the Emotional Spectrum, but kryptonite... No thanks. Already had my share in Smallville.