For truth, justice....and then what?

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

Edited By Squalleon

Everyone who has read comics, has at least once heard of the (in)famous phrase "For truth, justice and the American Way".

No Caption Provided

A phrase first heard during the early stages of Superman's life, to be more specific it was first heard in the Adventures of Superman radio show in 1942 to raise moral during World War II. Before that Superman was content with his self to fight just for "truth and Justice". After the war ended, the phrase was forgotten and Superman returned to fighting for more...simple concepts, like "tolerance". But during the Cold War the phrase returned again in the "Adventures of Superman" Tv series, this time to become a staple of the character.

And now that we have finished with the historical recursion its time to ask the question, what now?

Superman isn't an "American" thing now, its target audience isn't just americans, so what do you do with the phrase? Do you change it back? Or let it stay, as it is?

The thing is many readers don't read Superman because of their belief that Superman is TOO patriotic. Personally I see the American Way as more of the ideal that it was, meaning: the pursuit of happiness, a life that adheres to principles like liberty and tolerance. Principles that are actually very good at describing Superman. So I ask again what would you do?

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Boobs.

Beata

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

Boobs.

Beata

Funny thing is that everyone would get behind that :P

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Truth, justice and a better tomorrow.

Jeremy1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Truth, justice, and hope.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The thing is many readers don't read Superman because of their belief that Superman is TOO patriotic. Personally I see the American Way as more of the ideal that it was, meaning: the pursuit of happiness, a life that adheres to principles like liberty and tolerance. Principles that are actually very good at describing Superman. So I ask again what would you do?

This. Still, I don't think many people can wrap their heads around that, in the general audience.

I personally think, "Truth, Justice, and The American Way," is a fine tagline, but if it NEEDS to change, I think "Truth, Justice, and the betterment of mankind/humanity," works too.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By dernman

It's not an issue for me either way. Though to be honest I find the need for it to be changed rather dumb. Should I be put off from a character because it said Something, something, the British way, the Canadian way, the Russian way? The only way I would see it being a problem is if you had a biased against a certain country.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By dernman
  • For Truth, Justice, and a better way
  • For Truth, Justice, and the Kryptonian way
  • For Truth, Justice, and a humane way
  • For Truth, Justice, and the peaceful way.
  • For Truth, Justice, and a brighter day

?

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In a way the American Way is one of Superman major problems.

With all his powers, all his potential, he could do pratically anything if he really was has Super has he should be. But he isn't.

In a lot of ways he's all too true to the american way. He doesn't solve humanity problems by finding cures to diseases or fixing the world energy problems. No! He's the fist, the soldier, many times solving problems that he shoudn't even interfere. And in the end he's blind to the truth of the same country he defends, and is really surprised when he sees, that same country, spending billions of dollars in ways to try to kill him if he ever goes against them.

In that way, Batman is way smarter, because he sees and knows where the root of the problems lies and acts upon them. Superman is way to trusting, like a soldier blindly following orders, because he believes in the honesty and loyalty of a system that's actually rotten. And he has a jornalist should know better. He should question everything and everyone.

So truth, justice and order. That's what he should stand for. And not something has ambiguous has the American Way.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By MakkyD

@dernman said:

It's not an issue for me either way. Though to be honest I find the need for it to be changed rather dumb. Should I be put off from a character because it said Something, something, the British way, the Canadian way, the Russian way? The only way I would see it being a problem is if you had a biased against a certain country.

I don't think it's just biasism against a certain country, it's more so that it's against Superman's character. In contrast, Captain America's national ties make sense as he's meant to be the soldier and the patriot, whose stories tend to revolve around themes such as loyalty to a country.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

Truth, Justice, and Hope for Tomorrow

Truth, Justice,and a better tomorrow

Truth, justice, and the betterment of mankind

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By dernman

@maccyd said:

@dernman said:

I don't think it's just biasism against a certain country, it's more so that it's against Superman's character. In contrast, Captain America's national ties make sense as he's meant to be the soldier and the patriot, whose stories tend to revolve around themes such as loyalty to a country.

You don't have to be a soldier to be patriotic or have ties to a country. It isn't against his character really because he's also suppose to represent the person who immigrates to Earth and America. Not to mention the good the American way should ideally have for the others of the world. Why would he be less patriotic? Let's not forget that he is Clark Kent who got his values from. Down home farm parents usually thought of as being people with love for country, god, and apple pie. I recognize he would act different with the Superman guise but he wouldn't abandon is core ideals or lie about them.

Don't get me wrong. I get the whole citizen of the world thing, I'm not against it.In some ways I favor it. I just also feel it's not more relevant to him as a character and it shouldn't matter if you're a fan. That's not to say you can't have a personal preference.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For truth and justice.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With all his powers, all his potential, he could do pratically anything if he really was has Super has he should be. But he isn't.

In a lot of ways he's all too true to the american way. He doesn't solve humanity problems by finding cures to diseases or fixing the world energy problems. No! He's the fist, the soldier, many times solving problems that he shoudn't even interfere. And in the end he's blind to the truth of the same country he defends, and is really surprised when he sees, that same country, spending billions of dollars in ways to try to kill him if he ever goes against them.

In that way, Batman is way smarter, because he sees and knows where the root of the problems lies and acts upon them. Superman is way to trusting, like a soldier blindly following orders, because he believes in the honesty and loyalty of a system that's actually rotten. And he has a jornalist should know better. He should question everything and everyone.

So truth, justice and order. That's what he should stand for. And not something has ambiguous has the American Way.

To be fair, Superman has tried, in some stories, to create cures for disease. He doesn't solve humanity's problems, because he's a protector. He's not a babysitter for humanity. He may be more powerful than us, but I think Superman should know that humanity isn't weak and it isn't helpless.

We can stand and we can walk forward on our own two feet. Even if we stumble and fall. We get up and we keep moving forward. Lex Luthor, Bruce Wayne, Amanda Waller, Ray Palmer, Barry Allen, Lady Shiva, and a number of men and women are capable and brilliant in various fields.

Clark is trusting because he wants to see the best in people. That's how he was brought up. Bruce, not so much, because of what he went through at a young age, and in a sense, he is more a realist where as Superman lives in a fantasy, but it's a fantasy that's worth holding on to. I wouldn't say that makes Batman smarter. He's just different.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

Peace

Loading Video...

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think you're generalizing Superman way too much. First and foremost, his ideals don't imply a lack of intelligence, his trust and hope in mankind is supposed to inspire the same feelings in everyone else. Maybe Superman can't create cures for cancer and other diseases (using Batman as an example of someone better is pretty hypocritical since he doesn't either, but I digress) but his ability to inspire a nation or planet of people to all do their best and be good to one another sounds pretty fine in it's own right.

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Obama.

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By UltimateSMfan

I've never had a problem with the American way part because to me it essentially means as the op stated the right to liberty, equality and the pursuit of happiness things that makes sense for the character and what he fights for. People argue the American way is a reflection of the country but I believe it's a constant no matter what state America is in. It is basically an ideal and Superman is a pretty big part of Americana as well. I wouldn't like to see the American way go, it's an integral part of superman.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amazingwebhead said:

Peace

Loading Video...

As always the Super Friends provide guidance when most needed.

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It can be the American way, but it has to be understood that that doesn't only apply to Americans. Take the American ideal (courage, acceptance, freedom from tyranny, the melting pot ideology) and apply it to every situation.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv:

True! But Superman can't really help humanity moving forward, towards a better future, if he doesn't really solves the real issues.

Yes, he's powerful. More powerful than even he knows, but when I look at his potential, what he can and should do, I'm left with the feeling that he's failing somehow.

If Bruce Wayne with his billion dollar enterprises tries the best he can, then why do we see Kal/Clark worry about making enough money to pay the rent. He's Superman. He can create diamonds with his bear hands, with his powers he could extract gold either from the planet or asteroids, enough for him so he wouldn't have to worry about money anymore. I'm not saying he should live like a billionaire playboy, but he could create secret accounts and stash enough money so he could not only finance big or small research enterprises that deal with next gen, energy sources and medical advancements. He himself could create has Superman his own foundations that dealt with everyday problems.

In the end, when I look at Superman and see myself in his place I know that in his place I'd be doing much, much more than he does. To me, to be a super-man having power alone isn't enough, its the full extent of how one uses his gifts that makes it worthy of the title.

It's a little like in Star Wars. To me that light and dark side stuff is for the most part excuses. Power alone doesn't make a person good or bad, but rather how one uses that power.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ScouterV

@heavenlydarkdragon: You make it sound like we can't do for ourselves. We don't need Superman to cure disease. We can do it ourselves. Hell, Luthor does in most cases.

And in all honesty, even Bruce falls short. He does the best he can because he can't help himself. Superman has himself mentally blocked, because he wants humanity to reach for the stars and learn that they can do for themselves. I take it that Superman believes that just because he CAN do something, doesn't mean he SHOULD.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

@dernman said:

• For Truth, Justice, and a brighter day

Oh YUS

Avatar image for timelordscience
TimeLordScience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

Avatar image for timelordscience
TimeLordScience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591: @dernman: Id combine your two ideas and go with a Brighter Tomorrow. Would be a great way to go in the films, with the follow you in the sun speech. Also references the Man of Tomorrow alias.

Ding! Ding! Ding! I think we have a winner, folks!

For Truth, Justice and a Brighter Tomorrow.

Perfect.

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MetalJimmor

The American Way doesn't apply to JUST Americans. It's an ideal that anyone from any country can relate to.

I've spoken to friends from other countries who still enjoy Captain America. Not because they are super patriotic Americans but because they see him as representing what America COULD be. He represents the founding principles of America which is freedom, liberty, and equality for all.

Superman is much the same. While his tagline cites "The American Way" it's really just shorthand for everything this country was meant to stand for, not necessarily what it is now.

toptom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For truth and justice should be enough. "The American way" isn't considered an exceptional thing around the world.

Self-DCeit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When America believed in itself and wasn't the bipartisan nation it is today, Superman could say he fought for the American way, and the world took his word for it and followed suit. And even if the rest of the world didn't, millions of Americans enjoyed and bought Superman comics, and that was more than enough.

Nowadays, not so much. If America doesn't believe in itself and is torn apart by polar opposite extremes of self-loathing or 'murica chauvinism, saying one fights for the "American way" is to harken back to a 200 years-old ideal that has been weighed down by cultural decay and imperial decadence, and hijacked by self-interest groups. If Americans themselves are unsure about the American way, they can't expect one of their cultural icons to spout that phrase and the rest of the world to buy it. So yeah, truth and justice sounds just about right for the time being.