Evil Superman, the new norm

batshrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Edited By batshrine

Have you all ever wondered that we keep getting more and more stories of evil Superman? I mean is it just a coincidence that at one point we had

This Guy
This Guy

Injustice Superman subjugating the Injustice universe with a skewed sense of Justice showing us his gripping turn to evil.

This Guy
This Guy

While we have the hero formerly known as Earth 2 Superman, destroying Earth 2 in the name of Darkseid being totally and utterly evil.

This Guy
This Guy

While we have in the main DCnU, in the Forever Evil storyline we get Ultraman from Earth 3, and evil version of the Justice League who managed to take down the Justice League. He's so bad that he snorts Kryptonite.

This Guy
This Guy

And you thought I'd be done once I got to Forever Evil. Well while Forever Evil was being published, in the Superman books we had Zod attacking our paradoxical Last Son of Krypton. Did I mention he was also a son of two scientists and saved by Jor-El...only he wants to destroy earth.

These two Guys?
These two Guys?

At the same time we end up having two Superboys who both had evil in them, and the more evil one ended up being the victor and our current representative Superboy.

This Girl
This Girl

While his female compatriot hulks out with a group that is typically known for its bad streak. You can even ask the Green Lantern Corps..

Ha and I'm not finished.

In order I present to you:

He'l: Created by Jor'El, backward S scar, evil Superman the threat they had before Forever Evil.

Superdoom: Yep, after He'l, Zod, and Forever Evil, even DCnU Earth Superman starts turning evil. Doomsday kinda looks like him.

Xa-Du: Another Kryptonian, who is evil and not the Last Son of Krypton.

Metallo: Anti-Superman, nuff said

Bizarro: I said Anti-Superman, nuff said!

That's not to mention other stuff out there that is also either currently published (Justice League 3000), was published (pre-DCnU depictions), or in other media like movies or shows. We get more evil Kryptonians, morally void Supermen, mind-controlled Supermen, copycat Anti-Supermen, and alternate dimension universe shattering versions of Superman.

So why so many evil Supermen? You'd think we'd get tired of this story.

My answer: It is the only story that makes sense.

When you have a character that is virtually the most powerful creature on the planet, you run into two main problems. First you can't give him many (easy to write) threats. You typically end up with a villain that is way too weak to fight Superman, so for the sake of the story Superman is significantly weakened, or you have world destroying force. What's another thing that can take on Superman? Well, Superman of course!

Fight!
Fight!

Here is another way to put it. We know Superman isn't perfect, but he isn't far, he's one step under perfect. So as far as threats go, you can't send an infinite power against him, cause that's perfect. So you at best can send, one under perfect, someone like Superman.

The next reason why Superman is so commonly depicted with the negative, way more so than other hero's, is because we love seeing what happens when good becomes corrupted, when innocence is no more. NAAUGHT!

That's what we got Shazam for!
That's what we got Shazam for!

The reason why that logic simply doesn't work is because that is the case with almost all our heroes, or at least the non-anti-heroes. But Superman still gets the brunt of it. And we can reason with it saying that he is the most powerful and the ultimate symbol for good, but I just can't by it, and I'll say why in a second.

Before that let me say what the real second reason is. It's because it is the only one that makes sense. We have an alien raised in the United States taught mid-western southern values, who grew up to protect the world. And although there are many positive attributes to southern values, that isn't enough to say Superman turned out the way he did because of that. This guy is the world's strongest guy, doesn't feel physical pain, eats out of habit, gets energy from the Sun, doesn't need a job but has one anyway that pays better than most Americans actually make, let alone the world, has his own fortress, prison, and zoo, and managed to woo Wonder Woman while having Lois Lane benched for when it doesn't work out, is the last of his kind...conveniently with others of his kind. His life was so good that when they rebooted his story, they killed off the Kents because they needed Superman to feel some kind of pain. So, how can this guy really empathize with the struggles of humanity. We are literally ants to him.

Did I mention how he has a
Did I mention how he has a "perfect" body, and a jaw to die for?

So that guy that I just described, now has miraculously decided to protect us. Now under what standards? He can use the morals that his family taught him, but what if they go against the law? I mean, I hardly doubt he has a search warrant for his X-Ray vision, nor is imprisonment or death sentence without trial also legal.

We can have a Superman that follows American law. However if the law doesn't protect the people, is he just idly going to stand down because it is the law? No, we know he doesn't because he dabbles in this stuff all the time and at his own fancy. Plus the law isn't perfect, it's constantly changing to better improve and serve our society (at least I hope...). So you see, the next logical step because of those blurred lines always being crossed, is that Superman goes bad (if he is to continue crime fighting that is). Any other story really asks the reader to temporarily turn off any logical part of their mind to believe it, which we can only do to some degree. If you don't believe me, try reading Ann Nocenti's Catwoman.

It's even more disturbing when you find out they are transformed victims
It's even more disturbing when you find out they are transformed victims

Here is the kicker that should rightfully tick off any Superman fans who think it still somehow possible that an objectively good Superman is possible. There is always a foil to this evil Superman. And let me give you a hint, if Superman is essentially perfection, then what isn't he. He isn't human. However there is a hero out there that is human. One that worked hard to get all his abilities, instead of being born with them. One that really know suffering, instead of being too young to remember it. One that pushes himself every day, instead of tanning in the sun. Remember that ultimate symbol for good that I mentioned earlier?!?! Oh ya, you know where I am going to with this....na na na na na na....

Hope you're ready for some Justice!
Hope you're ready for some Justice!

Batman is the yin to Superman's yang. So while it is easy to see Superman go down a bad path, (and if you can't see that, pick up any comic about Superman, you have a high chance of of witnessing it yourself), you hardly see what if Batman was bad stories. And in a weird twist in fate, in almost all the bad Superman stories, it is Batman is who is fighting to oppose him. Even when we got the Crime Syndicate, Ultraman was pure evil while Owlman had some human in him trying to save Nightwing. You'd think these two best friends wouldn't butt head so often...

Law of Physics: For every bad Superman there is a less bad Batman
Law of Physics: For every bad Superman there is a less bad Batman
This Guy
This Guy

With that said, I am curious to see where Geoff Johns takes us with Ulysses. Will he be a good Superman, or will he follow the trend and be yet another bad version of Superman?

This Guy
This Guy

And let's not forget that Cyborg Superman/Zor-El is probably coming back with a vengeance.

This Guy...with his guy?
This Guy...with his guy?

Remember this movie is also coming out. A sequel to a movie where Pa Kent's values are seemingly off, Superman destroys Metropolis, and kills in his first public outing. No wonder they brought in Batman...and WW and everyone else...

This Guy
This Guy

While this Superman saves the world in a terrorizing way ultimately leading him to work for Brother Eye in the Future's End...dun dun dun!!! Though Lois Lane (his not girlfriend) suspects him to not be Clark.

This guy...with his guy!
This guy...with his guy!

Future's End also promises us a fight between Apollo and Superman...one that Apollo supposedly wins. Though don't worry about him losing control though. We've seen him attack Stormwatch, and yes his Batman-esque boyfriend, Midnighter, was the one to stop him.

This guys...with his guy...
This guys...with his guy...

A thing born of hate attacks Batman, and oh look, Superman is carrying the car. *Robot Voice* Oh my, I am shocked. *End Robot Voice* Ya, I'm betting mind control...

This Guy
This Guy

But if you don't care for the future, why don't you read about Wraith, an alien who was raised by the government in the 30's instead of by the Kents. Coincidence he rivals Superman and his colors are also blue and red?!?!?!

This Girl and This Guy
This Girl and This Guy

Though to leave things on a positive note; yeah sure, it totally makes sense that Superman is easier depicted as bad than good. But there are some good bittersweet depictions! We have the objectified female superman, Power Girl, and the black pacifist superman, Val-Zod, who are currently fighting...evil Superman, on a different Earth...

No Caption Provided

OK how about you read Justice League where Superman is...not defending the world...and Lex Luthor is...

You know what! I think we all get the picture. So here are some more not so good Supermen.

But if you really need your fix, of the rare good Superman. Morrison is sure to make many good versions of Superman in his Multiversity...or will he? ;-P

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Lol

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By SanoHibiki

Well, evil E2 Superman – debunked;

Ultraman – the most awesome so far evil Superman who existed (if I not mistaken) even before COIE (so it’s not like we suddenly got this evil version of Supes just now);

Zod’s stuff – how is it relevant, anyway?

The same about Superboys, Supergirl, Superman’s rogues (including Cyborg Superman and Wraith) and “some more not so good Supermen” (some of them not even real Superman and some turned out to be really good in the end).

I’m going to ignore this jab to Superman’s figure – all comics’ heroes are fit, lean, men are … well, manly and women are beautiful.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

From what little sense I made from this OP … nope, it doesn’t make any sense (but damn, it's funny to read :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It sells. Even new 52 superman is a jerk sometimes. Nothing like his previous version.

Juke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

It sells. Even new 52 superman is a jerk sometimes. Nothing like his previous version.

People like the drama and conflicts a not-so-nice-guy Superman can bring to the table, and it shows because it does sell.

Avatar image for infantfinite128
infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't have the chance to read the whole thing right now, but so far awesome post! I'm going to finish later on!

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batshrine: It's because he is one of the most powerful characters dc has, writing about someone this powerful being evil is fine i guess.Plus humans are annoying ants, Im shocked the actual superman hasn't snapped like Plutonian.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, it's because so many writers are goddamn lazy.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TLDR

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I honestly think that it's just a trend that's going on. After so many years being the big blue boy scout, now writers want to show him being bad. Maybe has a way to explore all the ways he could go bad.

It's actually cool. Let it continue maybe something new and good will come of it all.

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's one stupid trend.

batshrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heavenlydarkdragon: I honestly like how you're just riding this wave and just seeing where it goes. It is interesting how this is solely affecting Superman. I know in the 90's we had almost everyone shaken up from Parallax to Azrael to the 4 Supermen. It maybe just a trend, and we may get an awesome character out of it, we did get Steel and Superboy from the Death of Superman after all.

The odd thing however, is that at the moment, if we had to say what Superman is in all his current depictions, he should be labeled as a villain. And this isn't affecting any of the other Supers even though GL, Flash, MM, WW, and some more are arguably just as strong as him, DC is having a fun time tarnishing their poster boy. Though I do agree with some people who commented like @smashbrawler, in many cases it's an easy way out to make Superman interesting enough to sell.

I mean to put things in perspectives in November 2014, Batman has over 20 comics coming out in his name, and not one of them involve him going rogue, or crossing a line.

Bsaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman fans are some of the most immature and whiny fans. I'd hate to say it, but this list is kinda bunpkus. One of these is a Superman villain from the 90s, and New 52 Superman being "brash" is how he was in the Golden Age and early Post-Crisis.

Night4345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Just goes to show you how good DC is at managing their characters.

Avatar image for blackhawk000111
blackhawk000111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great article man.

Well if we think about it Superman can be a great villian.

Avatar image for grandsymbiote94
GrandSymbiote94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Red Lanters are not evil...

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

You forgot to mention the other Superdoom.

Blade_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry but Man Of Steel Superman was not evil. He wasn't perfect, but he wasn't evil.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Keep Cyborg Superman,Ultraman,Zod(his help as well),Bizarro and Xa-du,kill the others FAST. Write a story where Darkseid kills all these Superman across the multiverse.

batshrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blade_r said:

Sorry but Man Of Steel Superman was not evil. He wasn't perfect, but he wasn't evil.

I'm glad you caught on to that. I put him in on purpose. The problem is unless you have a perfect Superman, where is the line between good and evil drawn?

To put it in perspective, I am willing to bet that Osama bin Laden, Hitler, Lex Luthor, and Ra's Al Ghul all think that what they are doing is just and right. When Superman in Man of Steel helped with the destruction of an entire city easily causing the death of MILLIONS (ya that's more than what Osama even did), he stopped being good. Sure he was stopping Zod, but the Superman we all know and grew up with would have and could have easily moved the fight to somewhere less inhabited. Then he became executioner at the end of the movie...no due process. So sure he wasn't evil, but I can hardly say he is good when people are just a means to an end.

I even put the Black president Superman that morrison made at the very end. He is a good guy, and way less flawed from Man of Steel (as far as I remember). But he is the most powerful man ruling the (arguably) most powerful country. Call me paranoid, but that is too much power for one person to have. Unless we think versions of dictator Superman is good, cause he probably does lower the death rate by A LOT. So that begs the question for us as readers, is freedom worth that sacrifice?

Blade_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Blade_R

@batshrine said:
@blade_r said:

I'm glad you caught on to that. I put him in on purpose. The problem is unless you have a perfect Superman, where is the line between good and evil drawn?

To put it in perspective, I am willing to bet that Osama bin Laden, Hitler, Lex Luthor, and Ra's Al Ghul all think that what they are doing is just and right. When Superman in Man of Steel helped with the destruction of an entire city easily causing the death of MILLIONS (ya that's more than what Osama even did), he stopped being good. Sure he was stopping Zod, but the Superman we all know and grew up with would have and could have easily moved the fight to somewhere less inhabited. Then he became executioner at the end of the movie...no due process. So sure he wasn't evil, but I can hardly say he is good when people are just a means to an end.

I even put the Black president Superman that morrison made at the very end. He is a good guy, and way less flawed from Man of Steel (as far as I remember). But he is the most powerful man ruling the (arguably) most powerful country. Call me paranoid, but that is too much power for one person to have. Unless we think versions of dictator Superman is good, cause he probably does lower the death rate by A LOT. So that begs the question for us as readers, is freedom worth that sacrifice?

I believe his heart was in the right place but he just made mistakes like most people do. I don't know why he didn't try to move the fight to a less populated area but I don't think he was intentionally trying to cause destruction and kill innocent people. I think he was just focused on stopping the bad guy, which obviously caused a lot of unnecessary death and destruction but I think what was intentional and will make him into the Superman people like. He will probably catch flack and get bashed for causing so much destruction, he will probably be haunted by killing Zod with his own hands, and probably will feel really bad about all those innocent people dying, and I think those things will lead to him creating his no kill code and eventually shape him into classic Superman in a way.

batshrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blade_r said:

@batshrine said:
@blade_r said:

I believe his heart was in the right place but he just made mistakes like most people do. I don't know why he didn't try to move the fight to a less populated area but I don't think he was intentionally trying to cause destruction and kill innocent people. I think he was just focused on stopping the bad guy, which obviously caused a lot of unnecessary death and destruction but I think what was intentional and will make him into the Superman people like. He will probably catch flack and get bashed for causing so much destruction, he will probably be haunted by killing Zod with his own hands, and probably will feel really bad about all those innocent people dying, and I think those things will lead to him creating his no kill code and eventually shape him into classic Superman in a way.

a tale of redemption! I like it, like honestly, it could turn out really well if they actually go that route with what you said. I just don't want brooding Superman anymore...lol

Blade_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Blade_R

@blade_r said:

@batshrine said:
@blade_r said:

a tale of redemption! I like it, like honestly, it could turn out really well if they actually go that route with what you said. I just don't want brooding Superman anymore...lol

Lol yeah I know what you mean, a lot of people are not very fond of MOS Superman. (I actually loved Man Of Steel) Anyway yeah, I think a lot of the stuff he gets flack for in real life by fans and critics, he will get flack for in the actual movies, and im thinking (hoping) this will kind of hit Clark hard, he will have some internal conflict, probably beat himself up over it, and eventually promises to himself that he wont let something like that happen again, and this will mold him into the Superman most people know and l love in a way lol

batshrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blade_r said:

@batshrine said:
@blade_r said:

@batshrine said:
@blade_r said:

Lol yeah I know what you mean, a lot of people are not very fond of MOS Superman. (I actually loved Man Of Steel) Anyway yeah, I think a lot of the stuff he gets flack for in real life by fans and critics, he will get flack for in the actual movies, and im thinking (hoping) this will kind of hit Clark hard, he will have some internal conflict, probably beat himself up over it, and eventually promises to himself that he wont let something like that happen again, and this will mold him into the Superman most people know and l love in a way lol

Oh I actually loved MoS. The movie was trying to hard to be epic for me that it forgot what epic was. They will do a great job if they use Lex Luthor as the voice of the critics and what I've been saying, and have Superman grow to prove everyone wrong. But honestly, after MoS..I'm just hoping Cavill just smiles once :-P

Laporik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn, Superman is too powerful again ? He isn't too powerful, he have foes that can take him out, Lex can take him out when he wants and Darkseid is way, way waaaaaay stronger than him. And let's not talk about Zod or Brainiac or Doomsday and the list can goes on.

The thing is that people want to see Superman as the bad guy because he is the ultimate good guy, he is the guy who will always say " No, we don't kill, we find the third option; nobody dies " and that's why he is an interesting character to write as the bad guy.

TakeLuutzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TakeLuutzen
Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@laporik: basically superman is the john cena of the comic world lol

Jeremy1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Jeremy1989
No Caption Provided

Okay, I'm just gonna go right ahead and say it. Why Val-Zod look like Dwyne Wade?

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bsaa said:

Superman fans are some of the most immature and whiny fans. I'd hate to say it, but this list is kinda bunpkus. One of these is a Superman villain from the 90s, and New 52 Superman being "brash" is how he was in the Golden Age and early Post-Crisis.

Eh. We're no more whiny than any other comic book fans. Find any character, and I'm sure you'll see plenty of people complaining about something.

"Billy Batson is too bad!"
"Batman is being made to look like an idiot!"
"Wonder Woman is being made a supporting character!"

@blade_r said:

My teacher in Intel/Security Class asked a similar question. We were talking about a lot of measures we take in America to keep people safe from acts of terrorism, and he said this is the easy way. If a dirty bomb goes off tomorrow in New York, you can kiss the Constitution and Bill of Rights goodbye for the foreseeable future, because the government is going to crackdown like nobodies business.

Personally, I don't know, and I'd rather not have to come up with an answer. On one hand, I enjoy the freedoms I do have, but I also want to be safe. Honestly, I don't think there is a right answer. They say though, the best Villains see themselves as heroes. So in a sense, I suppose all Dictator Superman does is make for an interesting story. I will say this though. Lord Batman wasn't really good until League Batman got in his ear. Before that, he was just as much to blame for what went on as Lord Superman was.

Aside from that though, I think if I had to choose, I'd like to have a planet not being terraformed if I was going to lose one city. You say Superman could have taken the fight somewhere else, but Zod was not stupid. You really think he would follow Kal-El after just threatening to glass his entire home (starting with Metropolis and Lois Lane being right there?) Psychological warfare, man. It's all Zod knows is how to hurt someone, and honestly, what Superman did to Zod as barbaric as it sounds is it any better than how we already treat criminals? We make a huge production out of trials and Death Row, invite people to see the execution...Superman snapped a neck of someone who was (and make no mistake, he was going for the kill,) going to kill a family. He did what, in court, could have taken 10 to 20 years given appeals.

Anyway, the way I see it, you need a monumental challenge for a good book (I think.) Superman provides that. I mean, what would happen if Batman went rogue. I mean, realistically what stops any number of guys from putting down Batman? Luthor, Lantern, Supes,Flash, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Shazam, Martian Manhunter (and I'm just talking A-List.) Minus those guys, I think The Teen Titans (if they can work together,) have a chance, Blue Beetle III, Red Hood II, Supergirl, Power Girl, Zatanna, Constantine, maybe even Mister Miracle.

I suppose, after Superman the only people we could really see doing some real damage in a position of power would be a couple of the Lanterns, (Kyle and Hal come to mind,) Wonder Woman fully embracing her role as the God of War (I'm talking Video Game-Gore nasty God of War,) Morals off Aquaman would be hell, with his subjects.

But, yeah. I suppose Superman is doomed to always be the bad guy with occasional years of good, before he gets back to his roots. Heavy is the head that wears the crown and all.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol that BVS pic is hilarious.