Even More Superman Unchained Delays

• 91 results
Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

I wish I didn't have to make another thread to showcase the further delays and poorly handled schedules that Superman Unchained has gone through yet again. But there have been loads of changes since I last checked and there could be more I fear. Superman Unchained 6 had already been pushed back to February 19th from the last set of delays but guess what? Now all 4 issues of Superman Unchained have been pushed back in their release dates:

In total, this means that a 9 issue series has already gone through 4 months worth of delays. In the time it took 5 issues of Superman Unchained to come out, 8 issues of Thor: God of Thunder have been released as well as 9 issues of Indestructible Hulk. No delays and in some cases, 2 issues of these series have come out on the same month. Yet Superman Unchained has only released 5 issues since the series began in June 2013. And if these delays stay the same, it will have taken almost an entire year for Scott Snyder and Jim Lee to have completed this series. Suffice to say, this realisation has sufficiently frustrated me a good deal.

So now you Superman fans of the Vine know the full extent of the Superman Unchained delays. What do you think of all this?

Avatar image for marcosvergara14
MarcosVergara14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

People can say anything about the New 52 but since it started a few books have gone trough delays and not by more of 2 weeks normally.

Unchained is to DC what Hawkeye is to Marvel a book that oddly ships on time but fans still buy it. I guess Snyder is bussy with zero year but Jim Lee hasn't done anything since Justice League 12.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By sinestro_GL
JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By JakeN7

@theacidskull: @lvenger: Yeah, it's going to read great in trade though. I pretty much am indifferent about the 5 issues I own now because of the delays. But I bet it's going to be one of Superman's best graphic novels ever. Nowhere near All Star, but much better than For Tomorrow for sure.

On a somewhat related note. These delays are really annoying. I was really looking forward to Batman/Superman annual #1 which is still being advertised along with all of the January annuals in DC's most recent releases, but it's release date is now March 5th. The Lees (Jim and Jae) need to step up their game! Lol.

On a partially related note to the somewhat related note above, I can't wait for issue 8! KENNETH ROCAFORT!!!

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By Saren

People can say anything about the New 52 but since it started a few books have gone trough delays and not by more of 2 weeks normally.

Unchained is to DC what Hawkeye is to Marvel a book that oddly ships on time but fans still buy it. I guess Snyder is bussy with zero year but Jim Lee hasn't done anything since Justice League 12.

Lee is DC's co-publisher, he's got plenty of executive work unrelated to personally penciling comics. His wife also had a baby a few months back, so understandably he's got a lot of priorities to juggle.

I don't really mind the delays because it's not like there's anything else Superman-related to read. All the other books are mediocre or crap.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SanoHibiki

Nothing unexpected here, really.

Guess I should consider myself lucky – even though I find UC to be a solid limited series, it’s not THAT GOOD for me, so I calm about constant delays. I will buy it when it would be released.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren: That's the justification I gave for the first set of earlier delays. Lee had just had a baby and his other roles must have taken up a lot of time. But these further delays are getting on my nerves slightly. I do really enjoy Unchained as a series and even though I will be willing to wait for the series to finally come out, the delays are annoying. Also no love for Greg Pak's Action Comics? That's supposed to be the new hot series out on the market and particularly pleasing to a lot of Superman fans. I read issue 26 and was most impressed with Pak's work.

@jaken7: Perhaps it will work better as a collected trade where the whole story is finished.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Lvenger
TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

I don't mind the delays since this book is the best thing we get from Superman in the New 52 and when this is your last hope you just wait and wait until it comes out.Also when the book comes out and I see those crazy and amazing interiors from Jim Lee everything is forgiven and forgotten.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jim Lee that is all

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By Bezza

I think its a real shame. I re-read the early issues of Unchained the other day and the art work is really different class IMO to that on Action Comics and there has been a real effort to write a "slow burner" that isn't just packed with brawling and feats....I did lose interest however due to the delays and then switched to Action Comics, which is great, although I am not sure Issue 27 was anything like as good as issues 25 and 26.

It does seem hard to find a Superman title that consistently hits the mark and hits the comic book shops on time!!

PS (@lvenger cover your ears, eyes), I have to say I have really enjoyed every issue so far of Superman/Wonder Woman. There, said it, done it. Time to hide behind the sofa....!

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren said:

I don't really mind the delays because it's not like there's anything else Superman-related to read. All the other books are mediocre or crap.

Batman/Superman, Superman/Wonderwoman, and Action Comics are all excellent. And Superman is going to have Geoff Johns and JRJR. What in the actual f*** are you talking about? Lol :P

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7 said:

@saren said:

Batman/Superman, Superman/Wonderwoman, and Action Comics are all excellent. And Superman is going to have Geoff Johns and JRJR. What in the actual f*** are you talking about? Lol :P

Batman/Superman had one ok arc on Earth-2 and a Mongul arc that was just everything that sucked about the old Superman/Batman series. Superman/Wonder Woman is the go-to series for horrible characterization --- I'm still trying to recover from crazed fangirl Strife. Action Comics is just populated by characters I don't care about and have no reason to care about.

I do have high hopes for Johns' Superman, though.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By JakeN7

@saren said:

@jaken7 said:

@saren said:

Batman/Superman had one ok arc on Earth-2 and a Mongul arc that was just everything that sucked about the old Superman/Batman series. Superman/Wonder Woman is the go-to series for horrible characterization --- I'm still trying to recover from crazed fangirl Strife. Action Comics is just populated by characters I don't care about and have no reason to care about.

What Mongul arc? There was no Toymaster arc. Batman/Superman never turned horizontally. *plugs fingers in ears* Not listening! I honestly haven't read SM/WW *guilty face* I just really love Charles Soule's writing, and Tony S. Daniel is one of my favorite artists. Why am I not reading it you ask? ...Good question. Action Comics is just Supes being Supes though. Also Lana! Yay!

And yeah, me as well.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997 said:

I don't mind the delays since this book is the best thing we get from Superman in the New 52 and when this is your last hope you just wait and wait until it comes out.Also when the book comes out and I see those crazy and amazing interiors from Jim Lee everything is forgiven and forgotten.

Yeah I'll probably be the same in all honesty. But at least Action Comics is consistent and a quality read as well.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By Billy Batson

@saren said:

@marcosvergara14 said:

Lee is DC's co-publisher, he's got plenty of executive work unrelated to personally penciling comics. His wife also had a baby a few months back, so understandably he's got a lot of priorities to juggle.

Meh, Lee has almost always turned work in late or not finishing it.

BB

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@tdk_1997 said:

Yeah I'll probably be the same in all honesty. But at least Action Comics is consistent and a quality read as well.

Action Comics is consistent indeed,at least,but so far except actually seeing the old and loved by everyone Superman,Pak isn't offering anything that interesting for me to put this book as one of the best currently.

Dud317

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm starting to think its Snyder. Let's not forget that he put American Vampire on hold because he didn't want anything more than 3 books. Let's tally ups

1) Batman

2) Superman Unchained

3) American Vampire (returning April I believe)

4) Wytches (starting later this year)

5) Batman Eternal (not entirely his responsibility, but he likely the one in charge)

At this point I don't see them rushing to get Unchained out there. Solicits already say issue 9 is the last. I suppose we should be glad this isn't typical of them, otherwise they'd be Mark Millar.

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looking forward to Action which comes out on time every month and the fact that Geoff Johns is going to be writing superman helps me look past this, plus unchained didn't hit the right cords with me in some places and when it finally does we don't get the next issue for two months + !!.....smh

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I feel bad for you guys :(

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezza said:

I have to say I have really enjoyed every issue so far of Superman/Wonder Woman. There, said it, done it. Time to hide behind the sofa....!

Do you mind if I join you behind sofa? : )

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

@lvenger:

Hopefully they actually finish it and it doesn't get cancelled like Allstar batman. This is ridiculous and to me it looks very unprofessional on DC's part. To this many delays is unacceptable in my opinion. I'm starting tothink DC as a whole is poorly managed

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#25  Edited By SaintWildcard
@saren said:

@jaken7 said:

@saren said:

Nope, not even gonna try. I'll chose my battles.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By JakeN7

@saren said:

@jaken7 said:

@saren said:

I was going to post this:

No Caption Provided

when I thought you were referring to our anticipation of John's Superman. But upon further inspection, it seems I agree with you. However, my gif is too perfect to pass up.

Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

These delays will be the death of me. At least Action will keep me busy.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, Action Comics is fantastic.

AC is pretty mediocre. There's decent characterization but the current villains are bland and utterly generic, and Pak's not exactly treading new waters with the Clark & Lana thing. The problem with Lana is that she's a complete cul-de-sac of a character --- she exists to be a prospective love interest for Superman, but her prospects have never really been significant. No one's ever going to think of Clark Kent and Lana Lang the way they think of Clark & Lois, or even Clark & Diana for that matter. And without the romance angle, there's nothing left to her. In a few years, she'll go back to what she was pre-Flashpoint --- a grown woman moving across the country to follow a married man who's not interested in her that way and who she knows she can never have, which, as Lucy Lane pointed out at the start of the New Krypton arc, is a rather pathetic state of affairs. Sure, sometimes writers will play up the tension of having Lois and Lana together in the same room, but no one's under any illusions that Lana's going to come out on top.

It would be impressive for a writer to come up with something about Lana that's not completely tied in to Superman, but judging from what Pak's written so far, it's safe to say he's not going to be that writer. Unchained is the best Superman book on the market by a long shot.

EnigmaLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It gets to a point where you almost expect it to happen to every issue. Easily THE most poorly handled New 52 title when it was intended to be one of the best.

People keep giving excuses and reasons for all the delays on Lee's part but the truth is, Lee should of taken all this into account before agreeing to join the title as the primary artist. Thankfully his art is currently one of the best depictions of Superman in the new 52, in my opinion. I do really like his art but come on man.

UC issue 9 is set to be released on May 28th (for now), that's almost a full year since the title was released with the first issue in the beginning of June. That's not even funny, one or two delays sure I'll be a bit let down but these many delays? It almost comes across as DC not giving a crap about its customers. I sincerely would of expected DC, or Lee and Snyder, to comission one or two artists more to at least attempt to get the issues released within a one to two week span of the original release date. UC issue 6 was meant to be released on the 29th January and it's been set back over a month.

Alertcircuit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jim Lee can barely do 6 issues of art in 8 months (see Justice League) so this book getting delays makes sense.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

I can't believe a nine issue series dragged on for almost a year! I am pretty sure we will have more delays in the future(especially issue 8).
Jim Lee should really retire as an artist his quality has dropped from his Hush/For tomorrow days and his extra responsibilities just make it harder for him to finish a monthly.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997: I wouldn't say that exactly. Pak is making the series fun, much more lighted and not quite as heavy handed as other titles. There's seriousness in the story where there needs to be but it doesn't make the title too dark at all. Still, guess there are problems even with acclaimed titles like Action Comics currently.

@sog7dc: Obviously they'll finish it, it'd be foolish for them not to. But as you said, this many delays on one of their biggest character's series is highly unprofessional to say the least. It may be the best in quality but that still doesn't excuse lateness suffice to say.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By TDK_1997

@lvenger: The series is indeed fun but nothing more than that.Pak doesn't impress you with big chemistry between the characters because you know that Lana and Clark may be together or there may be something between them but it will never last because the true love interest for Superman is Lois.And the other thing is that the villains seem just too cliched and generic.There is not a big backstory behind them,their designs are lame if I can say and they don't pose such a big threat so far even though Greg Pak is trying really hard to do so.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

That's what you get when you put Lee and his overrated ass on a book also Superman Unchained is pretty bland anyway.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By kidchipotle

Thanks for the tag @lvenger despite this being horrible news :P My stance on this matter differs from time to time. While I do think Lee's work has suffered since the reboot, much like many other writers and artists have, it's still a treat to see his work because it's so defined and complex. So that's what makes the delays seem worth it. Then there's the other end of the spectrum where these delays are so common and so spaced out that I honestly have lost a lot of interest in this story. Seeing his art is something special, especially now with his hectic schedule, but it's because of his schedule that he should not have taken on these duties. It's a nine issue arc that's going to span one year, it's ridiculous. Thankfully, despite what @saren says (I figured since everyone else is giving you a hard time, I'd join in :P), I have books like Action Comics and Superman/Wonder Woman to fill my need for great and compelling Superman stories while this book is on delay.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997 said:

@lvenger: The series is indeed fun but nothing more than that.Pak doesn't impress you with big chemistry between the characters because you know that Lana and Clark may be together or there may be something between them but it will never last because the true love interest for Superman is Lois.And the other thing is that the villains seem just too cliched and generic.There is not a big backstory behind them,their designs are lame if I can say and they don't pose such a big threat so far even though Greg Pak is trying really hard to do so.

That is the problem with new villains, the test of whether you care about them or whether you'll look past them in the long run. Still, I think the main draw for Action Comics is strong characterisation and fun energetic story telling. For Superman fans looking for something a little simpler, this seems to fit the bill. But again, you make very good points mate like Saren has.

@arturocalakayvee I figured you'd want to see the bad news for yourself. And it is getting tedious that Lee has taken so long to complete this series. Since I agree with you on this matter, I'll let the Superman/Wonder Woman praise slide :P

That's what you get when you put Lee and his overrated ass on a book also Superman Unchained is pretty bland anyway.

How come? It's better than most Superman storylines with the exception of Morrison's arc and potentially, though not yet IMO, Greg Pak's Action Comics run.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: One day you will succumb to the awesome writing that is Superman featuring his girlfriend: Wonder Woman! Superman and Diana fighting Zod and Faora, what's to hate? Then sprinkle in Doomsday and …… well this is a conversation for another thread :P Though I will leave you with this totally off topic note so you don't completely hate me lol…while I originally was okay with Supes killing Zod in MoS, I rewatched it this week and thought "OH COME ON! THERE'S ALWAYS A WAY!" (Why not revive a badly beaten horse?) /offtopic

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: I don't know it just doesn't seem to hold my attention but yes it is better than Superman

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arturocalakayvee: At risk of this turning in to a riot my problem is not that Supes killed Zod but why thefilm makers thought they had to do it in the first place when that wasn't even the original ending to the film.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arturocalakayvee: At risk of this turning in to a riot my problem is not that Supes killed Zod but why thefilm makers thought they had to do it in the first place when that wasn't even the original ending to the film.

Lol, I didn't actually know that wasn't the original plan. Damn. But yeah, lets not digress from the main topic at hand, I just had to get back in to Lvengers good graces :P

thanks for tagging me bro.... Oh well :..(

Anyway... While delays do suck. It saves me a little money and its cool that the last issue comes out on my birthday

Don't get your hopes up, chances of their being more delays is more than likely.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By buttersdaman000

Exactly. I don't see the hype over Jim Lee. As for Unchained, I wouldn't call it bland, it's a good book, but it definitely is overrated.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arturocalakayvee: Yea, Zod was to going to be sucked in to the phantom zone at the end but Goyer wanted Supes to kill him, Nolan was against it but was apparently talked in to it but as you say, back on topic lol

toptom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sadly i am not surprised...but that doesn't mean i've taken this news in a good way.

Damn.Of course i won't drop this comic but i'd like DC to give us some reasons (and why not?even apologies) for these constant and huge delays.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Yeah,and this is why I prefer Unchained over Action Comics even though I really don't want to like Unchained but I just can't.

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#48  Edited By 2cool4fun

At first I was like: Is this the old thread lvenger made about the delays?

But then when I found out It was a new thread:

No Caption Provided

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997: Same here though Action Comics is growing on me.

At first I was like: Is this the old thread lvenger made about the delays?

But then when I found out It was a new thread:

No Caption Provided

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I considered bumping the old one but then I found out that there were multiple delays so I decided that warranted a new thread of its own.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Book is pretty meh anyway. Action is better.