Does Superman need to eat?

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So Superman is powered by the yellow sun, so that would mean that he could get everything he needs for energy just by a few hours of sunlight a day (and why isn't being a beach bum part of Clark Kent's character?) So, it would stand to reason that he doesn't need food as human's do because unlike humans he doesn't get his energy from food.

Also does Superman need to sleep to or do any human bodily function at all?

HeWhoSees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, when you can fly above the cloud layer where the most direct sunlight imaginable is...

For eating, I'm not sure about the mainstream comics, but I do know that in the DCAU he didn't HAVE to eat, but, being someone who likes food, it was a habit that "died hard" for him, as he put it.

For that other question, I dunno.

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Press Oblivion

Those are some interesting questions, I'm not sure about the later questions but as post above states, he doesn't need to eat.

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By PowerWoman

Pre-crisis superman once eating a moon

Avatar image for consolemaster001
consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

No, he can live on solar energy alone

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@consolemaster001 said:

No, he can live on solar energy alone

I don't think that's been said in the comics, has it? At least not since the New 52, I don't think. I do know that in Lois and Clark (TV show) he said that he doesn't have to eat, but that he likes to. That's not exactly canon though. In Superman: The Movie, he said that he eats "when he's hungry," which means that his body has an urge and a response to a lack of food, although that could be a vestigial function from before yellow sunlight, and it could mean that he does not NEED to eat, but feels hunger when he doesn't. Again, not canon, though.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

I think he's capable of surviving on just solar energy alone. It's just imprinted in his upbringing to eat and sleep even though he doesn't need to do such things.

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

I think he's capable of surviving on just solar energy alone. It's just imprinted in his upbringing to eat and sleep even though he doesn't need to do such things.

That's what I figure, too. It just hasn't been said :/

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

In some incarnations he needs to eat in others he doesn't.

Personally I would prefer it he does need to. I also prefer it if he needs to breath and other normal functions or his body goes dormant.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 the_stegman  Moderator

I don't think he needs to do anything, eat, breathe, nothin'.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

It seems like the most logical one. I'm trying to think of instances where Superman has gone without food or sleep for some time but I can't think of any.

HeWhoSees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:

In some incarnations he needs to eat in others he doesn't.

Personally I would prefer it he does need to. I also prefer it if he needs to breath and other normal functions or his body goes dormant.

Hippie!

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@kal_smahboi said:

@lvenger said:

It seems like the most logical one. I'm trying to think of instances where Superman has gone without food or sleep for some time but I can't think of any.

I mean, any of the many times in which he went on a prolonged trip into space would probably count. It just goes unsaid because it would be ridiculous to mention that a person as strong and resilient as Superman "went days without food or sleep" or something to that effect.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@kal_smahboi said:

@lvenger said:

I mean, any of the many times in which he went on a prolonged trip into space would probably count. It just goes unsaid because it would be ridiculous to mention that a person as strong and resilient as Superman "went days without food or sleep" or something to that effect.

Agreed. It's just something that's never really focused on I guess.

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Of course he has to eat. If Superman doesn't eat he'll starve to death.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

No, Superman has no need to sleep, eat or drink anything by human standards. He only does so to fit in.