• 111 results
#1 Edited by kgb725 (6021 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman has been immensely powerful throughout the years and has a bunch of random powers he doesn't need so I ask the question does he need a reduction in power ?

#2 Edited by Havenless (1320 posts) - - Show Bio

I've always felt this is the reason his comics are poorly written. Because he's so immensely powerful, there's only drama in either kryptonite, kryptonite, kryptonite, or WIS where he's battling Solomon Grundy to a standstill.

#3 Posted by Z3RO180 (6331 posts) - - Show Bio

@kgb725: No he does not and he uses all his powers none of them are uses less or random.

#4 Posted by comicace3 (3469 posts) - - Show Bio

If we are talking new 52 then no. But if we are talking about other story arcs where he is invulnerable to kryptonite, magic, and has psychic powers then yes. Just look up supes 1 million or all star superman.... Or the supes that was invulnerable to magic...

#5 Posted by Stormbox (2001 posts) - - Show Bio

No

#6 Posted by THEOCITYLEGEND (1170 posts) - - Show Bio

I always thought an appropriate strength level for him would be strong enough to stop a train but stopping it would strain him greatly. If you read the early issues of New 52 Action Comics you will know what I mean. I don't like the whole lifting mountains level of strength because it then feels like most of the time the villain is the under dog and Superman is never in any real trouble. I want Superman to be in trouble because the mark of a hero is someone who puts himself at risk for others. If I feel like he is too strong to take any real damage I have trouble recognizing him as a true hero. Anyway long story short I thing early New 52 Action Comics is a good power level for him.

#7 Edited by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman was based on Hercules/Samson who were not too powerful. In the next reboot, maybe just make Superman an earthling also. For a very powerful Superman, the alien origin is ok since aliens are quite similar to the gods. Just have to give some explanation why gods/aliens would look like humans and why gods/aliens are even able to procreate with humans without any problems in compatibility of the genes. Right now, Wonder Woman is also very powerful and all her villains are now greek gods. With a powerful Superman, the only real challenge comes from evil Kryptonians, daxamites, martians, greek gods, norse gods, new gods, etc.

#8 Posted by RDClip (1117 posts) - - Show Bio

@colonyofcells: while you're at it why not make Bruce Wayne a middle class dude, too. Being an alien is a core part of Superman's mythos one that can never be changed.

To the OP's question, I think he is where he should, strength wise in the N52, but the writers should be leery of making him any stronger. As for writers having a hard time with him, I say they are not very good writers if their only thought is "who is Superman gonna get into a fist fight with next." Threats to Superman need not only be physical, but moral, mental or emotional.

#9 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

No. Like Grant Morrison (practically) said, its the writer's fault if they can't come up with a good story. Superman is about the "man" first, and the "super" later.

#10 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the John Byrne origin of Superman that had Clark being a normal human up to like around high school. This was followed in the Lois and Clark tv show and also Smallville Tv show. In the upcoming movie, we again have a very young Clark learning very early that he has powers altho at least it is not the return of the pre-coie super baby. It is easy to do Superman as a normal human who even with great powers, won't be able to save everyone and won't be able to fix everything since Superman is no god, and even the gods are not doing a good job.

#11 Posted by Captain13 (3280 posts) - - Show Bio

For me

Strength: 100 Tons

Flight Speed: Mach 3

Running Speed: 150 MPH

Durability: Bulletproof but can be hurt by more advanced military weaponry like sonic weapons, electrical weapons, and very powerful explosives. Highly resistant to cold and heat.

Additional Abilities: Heat Vision, X-Ray Vision, Telescopic Vision, Microscopic Vision, Super Hearing, Healing Factor, and Freeze Breath.

#12 Edited by Jpgman (69 posts) - - Show Bio

Of course he should be powerful he's Superman not Lameman! =P

#13 Edited by Perezite (1432 posts) - - Show Bio

If writers weren't so lazy and unimaginative and more lazy and unimaginative, they could have stories focusing on the journeys of a bunch of abstract and reality warping entities and make it good.

Oh wait, they HAVE!

#14 Posted by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

No. Like Grant Morrison (practically) said, its the writer's fault if they can't come up with a good story. Superman is about the "man" first, and the "super" later.

this

#15 Posted by Perezite (1432 posts) - - Show Bio

For me

Strength: 100 Tons

Flight Speed: Mach 3

Running Speed: 150 MPH

Durability: Bulletproof but can be hurt by more advanced military weaponry like sonic weapons, electrical weapons, and very powerful explosives. Highly resistant to cold and heat.

Additional Abilities: Heat Vision, X-Ray Vision, Telescopic Vision, Microscopic Vision, Super Hearing, Healing Factor, and Freeze Breath.

Hey everyone, get a load of this guy!

#16 Posted by Perezite (1432 posts) - - Show Bio

I've always felt this is the reason his comics are poorly written. Because he's so immensely powerful, there's only drama in either kryptonite, kryptonite, kryptonite, or WIS where he's battling Solomon Grundy to a standstill.

If that is indeed the case, then why the heck are their good Silver Surfer, Hulk, Thor, and other Marvel power house storylines and arcs?

#17 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

@knightrise said:

this

Straight up. Its a cop-out if anyone claims that he'd too overpowered to be relatable or challenged in a story.

#18 Posted by toptom (1155 posts) - - Show Bio

no,of course no. superman is always meant to be super even among the other super-heroes. it is part of his character.

then,to the other hand, the menaces he faces require him to be so powerful. you can't be as strong as spiderman to fight with guys like darkseid or helspont.

#19 Posted by ComicStooge (12049 posts) - - Show Bio

No. If anything, make him more powerful.

#20 Edited by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio
reduce batman's competence first then let's talk

#21 Posted by UltimateSMfan (1377 posts) - - Show Bio

@eternal19 said:
@knightrise said:

this

Straight up. Its a cop-out if anyone claims that he'd too overpowered to be relatable or challenged in a story.

This!! He needs a good writer,a Mark waid Grant Morrison type,someone in their caliber, or someone who loves the character.

#22 Edited by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio

@ultimatesmfan: agreed, anyone who wants to give superman power reduction is just as bad as anyone who wants peej to have a breast reduction

I hope comics don't follow that Jolie sh!t

#23 Edited by UltimateSMfan (1377 posts) - - Show Bio

@nerx: Hahahahaha!! yea any writer that has to diminish a character to tell a good stories shouldn't be allowed to write that character. *Cough* James Tynion in batman #19 backup *Cough*

#24 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

Blame the writers. I want Superman to be well....Super. But that whole lifting planets thing is a bit to much. I would like Superman to be on John Byrne power levels.

#25 Posted by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio

@sandman_:

But that whole lifting planets thing is a bit to much.

More consistency, being that strong his fights need to be outside earth to prevent damage

@ultimatesmfan:

They hate tits, they are our enemy >.>

#26 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

@nerx: Yes more consistency, please.

...Tits?

#27 Posted by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio

@sandman_: like I said earlier, those who are trying to reduce superman's powers are just like those who want to reduce peej's bewbz

#28 Posted by UltimateSMfan (1377 posts) - - Show Bio

@nerx said:

@sandman_:

But that whole lifting planets thing is a bit to much.

More consistency, being that strong his fights need to be outside earth to prevent damage

@ultimatesmfan:

They hate tits, they are our enemy >.>

i kno right! and speaking of tits,where the hell is that wonder woman movie??!!

#29 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

@nerx said:

@sandman_: like I said earlier, those who are trying to reduce superman's powers are just like those who want to reduce peej's bewbz

But they didn't accomplish it.

#30 Posted by FlashDamn (947 posts) - - Show Bio

Are you drunk?

#31 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

no. he needs more power. by power i mean feats for his superstrength. in the new52. the old 52 he is just right.

#32 Edited by GunGunW (996 posts) - - Show Bio

No more than Hyperion, Thor, Manhunter, Hulk, etc.

#33 Edited by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio

@thetimestreamer: I agree, applications would be nice

@gungunw:

not sure about the rest of your picks but Manhunter is way stronger than S-man

@sandman_:

They nearly did with Peej's titties in the New52

@ultimatesmfan:

Under a shelf until they can find good actresses, although arterton is nice

#34 Posted by joshmightbe (24691 posts) - - Show Bio

No he needs better writers that can come up with things for him to do. Any actually talented writer should be able to come up with something interesting for any character to do. It is not the characters job to conform to some vague idea of relateablity its the job of a writer to find a way to make them relateable.

I get so sick of fan apologists coming out and passing blame on the character because their favorite writer isn't up to the task of writing them.

#35 Posted by GunGunW (996 posts) - - Show Bio

@nerx: which is why if anyone needs a power downgrade, it would be him.

#36 Posted by Bruxae (12649 posts) - - Show Bio

No, because then it would no longer be the same Superman I know and love, but I do want his strength to be more consistent so that if he gets beat he is beat and no sun dipping-tunethemusic-comesback-to-oneshot.

His power levels are okay aslong as he is put against equally strong villains, and theres plenty of them, only difference is that Superman's strength can increase whenever it is needed which is wrong.

#37 Posted by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio

@gungunw: Disagree, DC is rife with cosmic level threats and batarangs or trick arrows won't bring them down.

#38 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

Why must it always revolve around Superman "requiring" a power reduction. He's not all that powerful once you realize the opponents he's pitted against.

#40 Posted by guttridgeb (4831 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope, Superman's power has become a major part of the character.

#41 Edited by Z3RO180 (6331 posts) - - Show Bio

No he doses not

#42 Edited by joshmightbe (24691 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate hearing that Superman is unrelatable line, its not like Batman is really any more relatable unless you happen to be a handsom super rich, super genius, martial arts master with the world's most awesome car who dates super models. It takes more than the ability to be killed to be relatable.

#43 Posted by kgb725 (6021 posts) - - Show Bio

@perezite: many people dont think their all in the same class as supes

#44 Posted by Havenless (1320 posts) - - Show Bio

@perezite said:

@havenless said:

If that is indeed the case, then why the heck are their good Silver Surfer, Hulk, Thor, and other Marvel power house storylines and arcs?

Silver Surfer is put in situations where his powers are relative. He travels the spaceways interrupting universe-wide plots and battles beings far more powerful than himself. He doesn't walk around downtown New York with a normal man in a leather suit tag-teaming thugs.

Hulk cannot move at light speed, does not have laser eyes or breath that can solely defeat an enemy. It is plausible that Hulk can garner some level of assistance from lesser characters because he cannot travel instantly to other locales and he cannot battle 6 different dilemmas at once. Also, his limited intelligence is always a plot point. He could probably accomplish what Supes does if Banner was in full control. But even when it's Professor Hulk, he's controlled more by his emotion than his humanity.

For Thor, you can make the same case as Superman. It always ends up with some plot device that separates him from his hammer.

#45 Posted by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

@perezite said:

@havenless said:

Silver Surfer is put in situations where his powers are relative. He travels the spaceways interrupting universe-wide plots and battles beings far more powerful than himself. He doesn't walk around downtown New York with a normal man in a leather suit tag-teaming thugs.

Hulk cannot move at light speed, does not have laser eyes or breath that can solely defeat an enemy. It is plausible that Hulk can garner some level of assistance from lesser characters because he cannot travel instantly to other locales and he cannot battle 6 different dilemmas at once. Also, his limited intelligence is always a plot point. He could probably accomplish what Supes does if Banner was in full control. But even when it's Professor Hulk, he's controlled more by his emotion than his humanity.

For Thor, you can make the same case as Superman. It always ends up with some plot device that separates him from his hammer.

There are a bunch of great superman stories that dont use kryptonite.

1.All-Star Superman

2.Superman: Red Son

3. Superman: For Tommorow

4.Superman:Braniac

5. Superman and the Men Of Steel

6. Superman: Last Son of Krypton

7. Kingdom Come( I know this is more of a justice league story, but the focus is really on superman)

All these stories show that you dont need Kryptonite to make a good superman story. You obviously dont know superman

#46 Posted by Dean444ful (2 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe not a power reduction but more weaknesses.

#47 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

I am glad the Superman movie is not using kryptonite so at least we can forget about kryptonite for a while. I wonder about the Superman movie if it will show Faora kicking Superman's balls. Ouch.

#48 Posted by Warpimp (57 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the number and intesnis of powers can get kind of lame. If he was just a flying brick with maybe heat vision then I would be happier. But as things are he does everything better than everyone. He's stronger than strength heroes, faster than speed heroes (except maybe the Flash but even that is sometimes debatable), he's super-intelligent (depending on the writer), he shoots lasers from his eyes as powerful as anyone else's energy projection, he has freeze breath, can see or hear on a level that is closer to cosmic awareness and the classic x-ray vision. In addition to being effectively invincible and immortal. I don't have a problem with him having these powers, but being better than everyone at everything is just not very intriguing.

#49 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

I do prefer Dc just let Flash be the fastest, Batman be the smartest, etc. so Superman does not need to do everything.

#50 Posted by TrueMarvel (195 posts) - - Show Bio

Hope everyone knows that New 52 Superman is in fact STRONGER than pre-flashpoint Superman. In the new 52 superman has been seen bench-pressing the wieght of the earth for 5 days while being Sun-starved..........

Pre-flashpoint Superman couldn't even move a moon sized satillite while buffed up on Sun energy.

YES.

He does need a power reduction. Its at the point where as: Whats the point of fighting superman as a bad guy? Lex is the only bad guy with a irrational but understandable reason to go make a move against superman. Lex is a closet racist. But any and all rational thinking bad-guy shouldn't even try to be a criminal in metropolis.