#1 Posted by ODSTmaster (22 posts) - - Show Bio

People say that when ever Superman fights he holds back but i don't think that's true so does anyone know if he has ever said that and if he did does he say it as a excuse for getting beat up for example Shazam beats him up and superman tried his hardest but lost anyway and after the fight he said i held back because he didn't want to hurt Shazam to much

#2 Posted by Squalleon (4567 posts) - - Show Bio

@odstmaster: Unlike Shazam/Billy. Superman has to concentrate all the time not to grap someone very hard and break their hands and stuff.
He has put psycological barriers so he doesn't hurt anyone by mistake. For Superman to let loose he has to be really angry or really desperate for more power to beat his opponent.
Ex. Young Superman was shown to be able to run up to 600 miles/hour but a moment came where he needed to be faster.
He said that he never needed to go faster before sooo he "break" his current limit and became so fast that the momentum allowed him to jump out of orbit.

I hope i helped

#3 Posted by w0nd (3303 posts) - - Show Bio

People say that when ever Superman fights he holds back but i don't think that's true so does anyone know if he has ever said that and if he did does he say it as a excuse for getting beat up for example Shazam beats him up and superman tried his hardest but lost anyway and after the fight he said i held back because he didn't want to hurt Shazam to much

you are speaking as if these characters have feelings..they don't it's what ever the writers says. and many writers have said more than once he holds back. Superman doesn't know how hard of a punch these people can take...Shazam recently knocked him down, superman got up just fine, he is now aware he is strong enough to hurt him, but strength doesn't mean durability either, imagine if he mistakenly punched someones head off? If you don't think it's true then that's fine but more often then not he feels like a person fighting in a cardboard city with ants all around him.

#4 Posted by WIshIWasSuperman (1351 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, Id have to go hunting to find specific examples, but I can clearly remember seeing it several times where he's suggested to be holding back, even to the point of subconscious barriers flat out stopping him from tapping his maximum power. H'el was probably the closest most recently where OTHERS suggested he wasn't holding back, purely because he was hitting H'el harder than they knew and had measured his hits previously - but again, maybe he had capacity for more but just wasn't doing it out of fear of his own power. It's not really addressed - plus it's still a "young" Superman in New 52 - his powers grow as he ages and is under the yellow sun for longer, so when he's say 33 (as in MoS) he'll be even stronger then than he is now in New 52 (pretty sure he's about 25 in New 52 - someone correct me if I'm wrong). With this constantly getting stronger and more powerful he has to constantly adjust for that. As he said in JLU animated - he lives in a world made of cardboard.

Best. Speech. Ever......

#5 Posted by PowerHerc (83401 posts) - - Show Bio

It's been said that he holds back all the time but considering the heavy hitters he's fought I find that to be PIS. Holding back against the likes of Zod, Ultraman, Doomsday, Captain Marvel, Amazo, etc. could cost him the fight and maybe even his life. Holding back would be a stupid risk. Superman isn't stupid.

#6 Posted by stephens2177 (1034 posts) - - Show Bio

@powerherc: maybe pre flashpoint,but now his growing in power is a actual thing now,he needs to constantly be careful.he knows he can take a shot from someone,so he always lets them get a hit in,to size them up,sometimes it doesn't work for him,but most time he knows he can try figuring out their deal while he is getting hit.

#7 Posted by The Stegman (24053 posts) - - Show Bio

He holds back based on the threat level. For example, he would cut loose more on Darkseid than he would Toyman. Also he holds back a lot in day to day life too.

#8 Posted by WIshIWasSuperman (1351 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm gonna ask - what's the Shazam fight you're referring to? What comic/cartoon did this specifically occur in that you saw?

#9 Posted by drgnx (3563 posts) - - Show Bio

@powerherc:

Lets not forget how some of those fights with heavy hitters start (while he holds back) or how they end when he gets serious! You also have to factor in, any fighter is going to fight conservatively at the start of a fight especially when they know their opponent is in their class range, it is not so PIS, as you might want to wait for guaranteed openings later on in a fight.

I don't exclude there some PIS though, I'm sure there a some cases.

#10 Posted by SOG7dc (7022 posts) - - Show Bio

@powerherc: Doesn't he have psychological barriers that prevent him from truly cutting loose

#11 Posted by WIshIWasSuperman (1351 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc said:

@powerherc: Doesn't he have psychological barriers that prevent him from truly cutting loose

as far as I know he does - or at least did pre-N52. Maybe not anymore....

#12 Edited by Dayvid3 (807 posts) - - Show Bio

Well for one thing he doesn't seem to often use his superspeed in a fight. I guess it would be kind of dull storywise if he did all the time. But if he is relatively evenly matched with a fighter, he should be able to just move at a blur and mess them up. I'm not sure if this is holding back, or just the writing to keep hings interesting

#13 Posted by WIshIWasSuperman (1351 posts) - - Show Bio

@dayvid3 said:

Well for one thing he doesn't seem to often use his superspeed in a fight. I guess it would be kind of dull storywise if he did all the time. But if he is relatively evenly matched with a fighter, he should be able to just move at a blur and mess them up. I'm not sure if this is holding back, or just the writing to keep hings interesting

His super speed is very under utilised IMO. It only ever seems to come up unless it's like involving the flash or something.... just because someone may be as strong as he is - doesn't automatically mean they should be as fast - does it?

#14 Posted by toplel (906 posts) - - Show Bio

His powers make it a challenge to write him consistently using them. An inconsistency I found was in Unchained #2. He's lifted airplanes and aircraft carriers before without having them collapse under their own weight but in Unchained #2 he says he cant life the Burj Dubai cause the steel wont support it.

The writers have to make it appear that he is being challenged to make it interesting so they dont have him go all out all the time.

#15 Edited by WIshIWasSuperman (1351 posts) - - Show Bio

@toplel said:

His powers make it a challenge to write him consistently using them. An inconsistency I found was in Unchained #2. He's lifted airplanes and aircraft carriers before without having them collapse under their own weight but in Unchained #2 he says he cant life the Burj Dubai cause the steel wont support it.

The writers have to make it appear that he is being challenged to make it interesting so they dont have him go all out all the time.

I agree - but it is frustrating..... especially with regard to his speed. His speed and the effects of kryptonite - the two most inconsistent aspects of the character. You'd think by now the writers would have enough respect for science and just general intellect to level it out a bit.

#16 Posted by toplel (906 posts) - - Show Bio

@wishiwassuperman: TBH, his speed makes him most likely to beat someone who is similarly strong. He traveled from beyond Pluto to Earth in seconds or minutes. He should be speed blitzing everyone and everything out there. Too easy so they dont use it. Either make him slower or have him use it more.

As for kryptonite, I like it best when he slowly grows immune to it as he spends more time under a yellow sun until it comes to the point where you have to inject him with it to make it work. It gives writers an easy way out when any average joe who gets his hands on some could technically take him out. Red sun radiation works better.

This is what happens when writers start making characters stronger to make up for their inability to write good stories.

#17 Posted by Lvenger (19428 posts) - - Show Bio

He holds back based on the threat level. For example, he would cut loose more on Darkseid than he would Toyman. Also he holds back a lot in day to day life too.

This sums up my answer. Superman uses the appropriate amount of his power based on whatever it is he's doing. Fighting Darkseid requires a more cut loose approach whereas Toyman doesn't require much of his power.

#18 Posted by ODSTmaster (22 posts) - - Show Bio
#19 Posted by WIshIWasSuperman (1351 posts) - - Show Bio

@odstmaster: so your premise is actually fictitious... I originally asked because

1. To my knowledge Superman usually beats Shazam and

2. I can't recall any time Superman said he was holding back after losing a fight.

#20 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, depending on the threat.

#21 Posted by Zijuun (854 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes. If Superman didn't...Then DC would be out of business.

Zijuun.

#22 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends on who he is fighting.

#23 Posted by TJSH96 (837 posts) - - Show Bio

It depends on who Superman is fighting.

If Superman is fighting Batman, then yes, Superman will be holding back. If Superman is fighting SSJ4 Goku, no Superman will not be holding back.

#24 Edited by StudentOfJorEl (121 posts) - - Show Bio

@tjsh96: Superman would still beat goku in his ssj4 and super saiyan god form while holding back but a bloodlusted Superman would make both Goku his atom liquid. Planet shaking punch and bench pressing the Earth's weight for 5 days straight and can do more.

Sorry to post this alot, I just love this feat.

#25 Posted by Marshall_Long (1970 posts) - - Show Bio

@studentofjorel: Superman wouldn't beat SSJ4 Goku holding back stop being a fanboy.

#26 Posted by DecoyElite (4019 posts) - - Show Bio

@sandman_ said:

Depends on who he is fighting.

Yeah, he obviously can't go all out against gangsters and bank robbers.

But against most of his rogues he's gotta go all out most of the time.

#27 Edited by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

@the_stegman said:

This sums up my answer. Superman uses the appropriate amount of his power based on whatever it is he's doing. Fighting Darkseid requires a more cut loose approach whereas Toyman doesn't require much of his power.

Well said gents, always taking away my purpose of posting here :)

#28 Posted by KaijuKingGojira (1410 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman: The laziest super hero of all time

#29 Posted by consolemaster001 (5351 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends.

#30 Posted by toptom (1158 posts) - - Show Bio

lets say he holds back his strength almost always...unless it is specified otherwise.

#31 Posted by Nathaniel_Christopher (1613 posts) - - Show Bio

I assume that he's always holding back, otherwise when faced with people without any kind of amazing durability he'd kill them just by smacking them. That being said, if he's facing Doomsday, Zod, Black Adam, a God, or someone with physical strength and invulnerability on his level I assume he's not holding back because it then makes no sense for him to hold back in such fights.

#33 Edited by Hazlenaut (1960 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman holds back most of the time. As Unskippable points out in Injustice if he had punched a wall in rage there wouldn't be no building. Superman Returns got it close of how he would work. You should not be using too much effort with Superman you endanger the city if you do. Heck Earth would be endangered if Superman is not careful.

#34 Edited by TJSH96 (837 posts) - - Show Bio

@studentofjorel:

I'm not so sure if New-52 Superman could defeat SSJ4 Goku. New-52 Superman needs better striking feats and durability feats. Post-Crisis Superman could shatter entire planets with his punches and once took an explosion 50 times bigger than Kepler's supernova despite being severely weakened. New-52 Superman lacks that kind of striking power and durability. Although I'm not fully up-to-date with the New-52 Superman so show me Superman's feats that prove New-52 Superman is more powerful than I've stated if he has some yet.

#35 Posted by Blackdog2009 (1821 posts) - - Show Bio
#36 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

When they need him to look cool yes he does. When they need him to struggle, no he never does. I explain it away in my headcanon as it depending on how rested/charged he is at a given moment.

#37 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg said:

When they need him to look cool yes he does. When they need him to struggle, no he never does. I explain it away in my headcanon as it depending on how rested/charged he is at a given moment.

"World made of cardboard" speech is my favorite explanation.

#38 Edited by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg said:

"World made of cardboard" speech is my favorite explanation.

That's not an explanation so much as a "moment of awesome". It falls into the "when they need him to look cool" category. Because if he's really just afraid of breaking things and that's why he's getting his ass handed to him, that's not really a heroic struggle for the narrative. So there needs to be some legitimate struggle or threat beside that.

#39 Edited by twogauge (7 posts) - - Show Bio

Almost always. There have been a few times where he has fought opponents that were his physical match (or higher) where he had to unleash his full power.

#40 Edited by Saint_Wildcard (10300 posts) - - Show Bio

@wishiwassuperman: Good scene, wish the animated series was that good and did more with the character.

#41 Edited by Saint_Wildcard (10300 posts) - - Show Bio

@tjsh96: Superman would still beat goku in his ssj4 and super saiyan god form while holding back but a bloodlusted Superman would make both Goku his atom liquid. Planet shaking punch and bench pressing the Earth's weight for 5 days straight and can do more.

Sorry to post this alot, I just love this feat.

Dont feel sorry, I dont like opening my comics when I already bagged an boarded them so its nice to see this pic.

#42 Edited by prinplup45 (201 posts) - - Show Bio

It's been said that he holds back all the time but considering the heavy hitters he's fought I find that to be PIS. Holding back against the likes of Zod, Ultraman, Doomsday, Captain Marvel, Amazo, etc. could cost him the fight and maybe even his life. Holding back would be a stupid risk. Superman isn't stupid.

#43 Edited by kgb725 (6440 posts) - - Show Bio

He will hold back until he fights at least a planetary threat

#44 Edited by Hazlenaut (1960 posts) - - Show Bio

A simple dodge step could destroy a road if he is not careful. The idea is that he can be too strong. You have to wonder if a villain decides to do the opposite and make amplifies his powers instead. That person would be insane but that would be a good idea. Make him an endangerment and the publicity from the destruction he caused.

Perhaps a story of having tremendous powers is something that needs to be explored better like Planet X. I thought that episode in Batman Brave and the Bold needs to be explored better.

#45 Posted by christianrapper (1014 posts) - - Show Bio

the truth is if he fought to his fullest powers then he would have no enemies.

#46 Edited by consolemaster001 (5351 posts) - - Show Bio

No not always

#47 Edited by 2cool4fun (1365 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, well unless he fights people like darkside who could kill him easy if he was holding back.

#48 Posted by Bezza (3544 posts) - - Show Bio

In Superman/Wonder Woman #2 he said he wasn't holding back when he hit Apollo, Apollo being a god and all that. I am sure he doesn't hold back when fighting Doomsday or Darkseid....

#49 Edited by Superguy1591 (3314 posts) - - Show Bio

He holds back if he has to, not all the time. Beings like Darkseid, Doomsday, Zod, Lobo and other super strong characters are met with a Superman unleashed because they can kill him. Humans are met with a low effort Superman.

Whenever Superman fights Batman, he's holding back.

#50 Posted by ZeroPlus (2284 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends who he's fighting, i don't think he holds back against characters that can beat him or even kill him for example Doomsday, Darkseid, Ultraman, Lobo etc.