• 67 results
Posted by ST3ALTHSE7EN (58 posts) 10 months, 3 days ago

Poll: Do you like Superman Unchained? (103 votes)

Yes 88%
No 12%

I have been hearing good and bad about Superman Unchained, so I thought to pick it up for myself. I actually like it. The art is fantastic as well. What are your thoughts? Have you read it? Do you like it? Why or why not?

#1 Posted by Quintus_Knightfall (84513 posts) - - Show Bio

I like it but for some reason I'm thinking once Lee hands the art off to someone else I wont find it as appealing.

#2 Posted by Lvenger (18256 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes I do like it. Both for Lee's gorgeously detailed artwork and for Snyder actually telling a good story this time around. He's doing much better on this series than he is on Batman rehashing old storylines as at least this story is somewhat fresh and new. Plus it has strong characterisation and nice themes being played off in this story. And this belongs in the Superman forum by the way.

#3 Posted by Extremis (3334 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope. Dropped it after the first issue.

#4 Posted by TheAcidSkull (17260 posts) - - Show Bio

first 2 issues were good. 3 was meh.

still excited.

#5 Edited by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

still excited.

#6 Posted by Lvenger (18256 posts) - - Show Bio

But yeah, the third issue was disappointing.

#7 Posted by THEOCITYLEGEND (1158 posts) - - Show Bio

Its aight

#8 Posted by ScarletTanager (30 posts) - - Show Bio

#9 Posted by Reactor (2369 posts) - - Show Bio

Yep, loving it.

#10 Posted by lightsout (1822 posts) - - Show Bio

Definitely like it. Good writer & artist pairing.

#11 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (5866 posts) - - Show Bio

Ya

#12 Posted by The Stegman (23024 posts) - - Show Bio

It's okay.

#13 Posted by tikhunt (676 posts) - - Show Bio

It's early days yet but so far I have thoroughly enjoyed it.

#14 Posted by AllStarSuperman (19924 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull said:

still excited.

@lvenger said:

But yeah, the third issue was disappointing.

those^

i find some of the way superman talks stupid very very annoying: Like "get your hands off me!" and "i deserve some answers!" the last issue was all him acting like a baby. also i dont like Lee's art that much here, he was good in Justice League 1-6 but here hes pretty meh. like he isnt trying his best.

#15 Posted by MrShway88 (655 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, pick it up.

#16 Posted by lifeofvibe (3419 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes so far its great!

#17 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (11076 posts) - - Show Bio

It's better than what Superman and Action Comics have been publishing the past 3 months. So far, in my opinion, it's the best Superman book right now.

#18 Posted by LaserLambert (635 posts) - - Show Bio

So far it's been good, but it hasn't really gotten that far yet, really hard to give it a full pass, because I've no clue what it's building too, but yeah so far so good.

#19 Edited by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

I do

#20 Edited by TheFirstLantern (1477 posts) - - Show Bio

still excited.

#21 Posted by Lvenger (18256 posts) - - Show Bio

@allstarsuperman: Um no offense but I found his appearence in Justice League 1-6 to be one of the worst depictions of Superman in the New 52. At least Snyder hasn't written Superman acting in full arrogant jerk mode nor has he made it seem like Superman's a quiet brute who hits first and asks questions later. Just my take on Johns' depiction of Superman in the New 52 which is unlike his Pre Flashpoint writing of him.

#22 Posted by longbowhunter (6731 posts) - - Show Bio

Like, not love. I like Jim Lee and all but I don't feel he's a proper fit on this book. And Wraith's design is god awful.

#23 Posted by longbowhunter (6731 posts) - - Show Bio

I still say Adventures of Superman is the best Superman book out there currently.

#24 Edited by Dernman (14720 posts) - - Show Bio

@longbowhunter said:

I still say Adventures of Superman is the best Superman book out there currently.

Followed by Smallville IMO.

#25 Posted by longbowhunter (6731 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman: Yeah I've heard great things.

#26 Posted by TDK_1997 (14456 posts) - - Show Bio

It's pretty decent.Not a big fan of Snyder but this is the best Superman series right now so it deserves some respect.

#27 Posted by Z3RO180 (6298 posts) - - Show Bio

It's good. Though right now it will be one of thoses book that people get really critical about in the beginning then after it comes out in trade people will praise it. Sort of what happend with For tomorrow.

#28 Posted by Tamal_Kundu (35 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh definitely. It's the best book with Superman starring at present, or as one of the stars, outside of digital comics. Snyder is blending the right amount of New 52 into the classic Superman. Plus a strong presence of Lois, and a cool antagonist, what more can you ask for in a Superman story.

#29 Edited by toplel (795 posts) - - Show Bio

It probably won't be remembered some years later, but it's the best Superman story in the new 52, so yeah, can't complain. Seems like Snyder's the only person left who gets Superman.

#30 Edited by batmannflash (6187 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes

#31 Edited by MeloDet (48 posts) - - Show Bio

I like it, my only issue is that it isn't really New 52 Superman. N52 Supes is supposed to be confident as both Clark and Superman(bordering on arrogance when he's younger), and far more active in his mission to save the world. We see this when he takes down corrupt corporations, when he and Wonder Woman intervene in Kahndaq, and when he mentions his desire to more in AC10. Yet despite this he lets General Lane walk all over him in issue 3. He's also supposed to be the second most intelligent person on the planet, yet he goes to Bruce to ask whether or not it's theoretically possible for someone to hide from his vision, which coming from the guy who found the Universal Field Equation is pretty ridiculous. It's still enjoyable since pre-flashpoint Superman is still enjoyable, but while Snyder may have incorporated New 52 Supes life status, he hasn't incorporated N52's personality. Unchained seems a lot like a better written version of the Superman from Superman 1-12, when he had yet to be fully defined by Morrison.

Realistically, we should have seen it coming. Snyder told us in every single interview that this was the one Superman story he would tell if he got the chance. Well seeing as N52 Supes has only been around for two years, and that Snyder has been dreaming up this story for a while longer, it seems likely that this story was originally written/based around pre-flashpoint Superman and simply adapted to the New 52. Which might work, if it wasn't for the fact that New 52 Superman's personality makes this story less relevant. Having this be Superman's big moral crisis, that he should do more, when he actually does want to and has done more, doesn't really work. These signs are all over; the ones I've mentioned, and also the heavy involvement of Lois to the point where she's integral to the plot, possibly indicating that the story was originally conceived with them as a couple. (Not that she can't be integral to the plot otherwise, it just seems uncharacteristic of Lois' rather minimal relationship with New 52 Superman).

So yeah, I'm enjoying it. I'm just a little worried that if this version becomes too influential we'll lose the potential N52 Supes that Morrison was going for. Though I am hopeful that Pak's or Soule's Superman might get adult Clark right(i.e. the adult version of AC Clark). And sorry for the long post lol

#32 Posted by AllStarSuperman (19924 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger: oh yeah I concur totally. Superman Acted dumb and quite and just all around idiotic, but Jim Lee drew him great anyway in Justice League 1-6. Jim Lee feels like his not trying that hard in Unchained. The best "Feel" or superman I. The new 52 was action comics 19-21. Andy Diggle and Tony Danials 3 issue arc was awesome.

#33 Posted by Lvenger (18256 posts) - - Show Bio

@allstarsuperman: Oh so that's what you mean in regards to Justice League? I don't know, I can see where you're coming from, particularly in the first issue but for me, Lee's getting the feel of Superman right again in the latter two issues.

And I have to disagree on Diggle and Daniels' arc being awesome. Granted, the first issue was brilliant but the next two were so horribly written with poor scripting and a hashed out story that it's not even funny. But that was because Daniels took over the writing after Diggle left DC prior to his AC 18 even being published. Daniels may be able to do beautiful artwork but as a writer, he's disgraceful. His Batman and Detective Comics runs are really bad and these last two issues were no exception to that rule for me.

#34 Posted by AllStarSuperman (19924 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger: I thought that was the best Lex Luther we have seen in a long time. He was a genuine Supervillian. He had a awesome jacket with a collar. That awesome exo suit, it showed him training in martial arts. And the fight with superman looked beautiful.

#35 Posted by Lvenger (18256 posts) - - Show Bio

@allstarsuperman: Yeah it looked pretty but after the first issue, Lex's plot and personality took a turn for the worse for me. All Daniels' fault though, not Diggle's.

#36 Posted by QueenCorp15 (1021 posts) - - Show Bio

I like it but its not as good as i think it should be but were only like 3issues in so cant really judge untill after like the 2nd story arc

#37 Posted by Squalleon (4143 posts) - - Show Bio

The only thing i see in this title is wasted potential...

#38 Posted by Z3RO180 (6298 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger: you can't put all the blame on Daniels and leave diggle blameless. True he did do the script but he was working of something that was to the best of my know how half finished. IMO Diggle should have finished writeing the story arc then should have left, but Insted he writes one issue and leaves because of reasons

#39 Posted by longbowhunter (6731 posts) - - Show Bio

@squalleon: Potential for what? Another subpar Superman series? What do you want out of Adventures of Superman?

#40 Posted by Squalleon (4143 posts) - - Show Bio

@longbowhunter said:

@squalleon: Potential for what? Another subpar Superman series? What do you want out of Adventures of Superman?

I follow this series since issue 1.And i can say the creators have great ideas but the format doesn't allow these stories to bloom

• The stories are cut so short that aren't allowing the reader for emotional involvement.The format of 10 pages per issue or the one issue per story (most times) just doesn't work
  • The art is average at best!
  • The misconception that digital comics mean fast and of average quality

My favorite issue was 15 and even this was average for a comic.http://www.comicvine.com/adventures-of-superman-15-the-way-these-things-beg/4000-420598/user-reviews/2200-38232 here my review to see what i mean.

#41 Posted by longbowhunter (6731 posts) - - Show Bio

@squalleon: I agree with your first point. I'd like to see some of the stories stretch out a bit longer. But to say they lack emotional involvement isn't true from where I'm standing. Issues #2, 11, and 12 standout in my mind the most. Seeing Superman through the eyes of children, average citizens and Ma Kent I thought was profoundly emotional. And the art is average? Did you see Chris Weston on issue #12?!? My god I was in awe! This series has had some of my favorite artists working in comics today. Samnee, Lemire, Oeming, and exposed me to Stephen Segovia. Who I thought did a bang up job on the Matt Kindt stuff.

#42 Posted by InkInk (172 posts) - - Show Bio

Its the best Superman comic of the new 52 which is not saying much. If it was not for that sad fact it would be an average book.

#43 Posted by InkInk (172 posts) - - Show Bio

@melodet: Losing parts of the new 52 Superman can only be a good thing. I hope by the end of this DC sees the mistakes they have made with Superman these past 2 years and writes him as an adult not as a man child that is trying to hard to be like a Spider-Man book from the 70's

#44 Edited by Squalleon (4143 posts) - - Show Bio

@squalleon: I agree with your first point. I'd like to see some of the stories stretch out a bit longer. But to say they lack emotional involvement isn't true from where I'm standing. Issues #2, 11, and 12 standout in my mind the most. Seeing Superman through the eyes of children, average citizens and Ma Kent I thought was profoundly emotional. And the art is average? Did you see Chris Weston on issue #12?!? My god I was in awe! This series has had some of my favorite artists working in comics today. Samnee, Lemire, Oeming, and exposed me to Stephen Segovia. Who I thought did a bang up job on the Matt Kindt stuff.

That's what i meant with not enough time to develop the story. Personally i thought these stories were so fast paced that they lost me when they expected a deep emotional reaction from me.
Having a good artist doesn't mean he will do a good job. Most issues have generic layouts and panels that lack imagination even the ones made by great artists like the ones you metioned. For one issue with good art there are 3 with mediocre art.

#45 Posted by longbowhunter (6731 posts) - - Show Bio

@squalleon: We're gonna have to agree to disagree my man.

#46 Edited by Lvenger (18256 posts) - - Show Bio

@z3ro180 said:

@lvenger: you can't put all the blame on Daniels and leave diggle blameless. True he did do the script but he was working of something that was to the best of my know how half finished. IMO Diggle should have finished writeing the story arc then should have left, but Insted he writes one issue and leaves because of reasons

It's rumoured there were creative differences in that department. Note how originally Diggle was supposed to be dealing with fallout to Lobdell's H'El on Earth crossover then move onto a cosmic vampire storyline. But instead, editorial differences, as has been the case with Fialkov and most recently Williams and Blackman on Batgirl have forced creators away from DC because they can't tell the stories how they want to. At least Diggle had the chance to tell one good issue before Daniels had to write his sub par script to finish the plot.

#47 Posted by MeloDet (48 posts) - - Show Bio

@inkink: When you say that though, which Superman are you thinking about? I agree that Lobdell's Superman is too immature, but what I'm lamenting is the loss of the potential Superman that would have been an extension of Morrison's Action Comics Superman. To be more specific, what I want from a New 52 Superman is: Confidence both as Clark and Superman, him to be a social crusader who stands up for those who cannot defend themselves(once again both as Clark and Superman), more aggressive than he was prior to the N52 but less than in AC(he should have calmed with age), I don't care whether he's at the Daily Planet or not as long as he is writing "important" stories(taking down corrupt corporations, writing about social issues etc), and so on. What Morrison seemed to be going for was a mixture of Golden Age Superman with Bronze Age Superman, and I was looking forward to seeing what that might be. Most of all, even though he may be more aggressive with villains, he shouldn't be an asshole. His primary motivation should be a deep compassion for humanity and a desire to help make the world a better place. We definitely need more scenes like the one in the picture.

#48 Posted by Z3RO180 (6298 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger: exactly Daniels did the best he could with what ever was left to him. The fault I think lies with Diggle and DC

#49 Posted by Lvenger (18256 posts) - - Show Bio
#50 Edited by Z3RO180 (6298 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger: or the ducks...the ducks are to blame