#1 Posted by SOG7dc (6713 posts) - - Show Bio

Was his run on Superman the best canonical run? If not who had a better run?

#2 Edited by PapiNacho (2337 posts) - - Show Bio

I dunno about the best but the most well known are Byrne's, Jurgen's and Busiek's.

#3 Posted by gor724 (822 posts) - - Show Bio

Him and Byrne's are probably the best.

#4 Edited by ArturoCalaKayVee (10913 posts) - - Show Bio

He wrote a really good Superman but the best? No.

#5 Posted by SOG7dc (6713 posts) - - Show Bio
#6 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (10913 posts) - - Show Bio
@sog7dc said:

@arturocalakayvee:

Who did better?

PapiNacho gave a good list. I loved Johns Post-Crisis Superman but his portrayal of Superman in the New 52 has seriously hindered credibility as being the best.

#7 Posted by longbowhunter (6621 posts) - - Show Bio

I remember burning through Johns run on Action. Great stuff.

#8 Posted by Superguy1591 (2272 posts) - - Show Bio

He wrote a great Supes, but Greg Pak might overshadow him when he returns to the boy-scout in June. Pak is writing the best Superman since Johns left.

#9 Edited by lightsout (1821 posts) - - Show Bio

His Superman run definitely is overlooked both in terms of Superman-stories & as "classic GJ title" (I think I read them & didn't even realize it was GJ as first. I associated him more with GL, JSA, Teen Titans, & though I hadn't read it at the time - Flash). Too bad he's not writing like this anymore (save some Aquaman). If being a big-wig is detracting from his writing, he should just stick to that & pass the torch.

#10 Posted by The_Tree (7075 posts) - - Show Bio

He was my favorite. Morrison's been pretty good to Superman as well with his Action run and Final Crisis.

#11 Posted by AllStarSuperman (19519 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_tree said:

He was my favorite. Morrison's been pretty good to Superman as well with his Action run and Final Crisis.

#12 Edited by Squalleon (4051 posts) - - Show Bio

He is one of the best but the best is more than debatable. Waid, Morrison,Rucka,Busiek are some names coming to mind.

Also if we go about all time best: Elliot S Maggin,Byrne, Allan Moore where top too.

#13 Posted by Onemoreposter (3867 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc: No, absolutely not.

I dunno about the best but the most well known are Byrne's, Jurgen's and Busiek's.

Fantastic list. All better than Johns. Also, Morrison's reboot in Action comics. Waid's briefly canonical reboot with Birthright. Loeb's run on Superman/Batman. All of Jack Kirby's 4th world stuff including Superman.

Overall, I think my faves though have to be Byrne, Jurgens, and Morrison.

#14 Posted by PapiNacho (2337 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc: No, absolutely not.

@papinacho said:

Fantastic list. All better than Johns. Also, Morrison's reboot in Action comics. Waid's briefly canonical reboot with Birthright. Loeb's run on Superman/Batman. All of Jack Kirby's 4th world stuff including Superman.

Overall, I think my faves though have to be Byrne, Jurgens, and Morrison.

To be honest I've been enjoying Snyder's run on Unchained far more than Morrison's, but then I was a new reader when I read his Action (and I am really pissed at the delays)

#15 Posted by Lvenger (17887 posts) - - Show Bio

Joe Kelly's Superman run is what I consider to be the best canonical run on the Superman series myself. That guy wrote stellar Superman stories like "What's So Funny About Truth, Justice and The American Way" as well as keeping a consistent and freshly vibrant series. He also wrote Superman's voice and character almost perfectly IMO. Morrison is my favourite Superman writer thanks to JLA and All Star Superman but Kelly comes in a close second. For a gritty and dark writer, he knows how to write inspirational and uplifting stories as well.

#16 Edited by Squalleon (4051 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

Joe Kelly's Superman run is what I consider to be the best canonical run on the Superman series myself. That guy wrote stellar Superman stories like "What's So Funny About Truth, Justice and The American Way" as well as keeping a consistent and freshly vibrant series. He also wrote Superman's voice and character almost perfectly IMO. Morrison is my favourite Superman writer thanks to JLA and All Star Superman but Kelly comes in a close second. For a gritty and dark writer, he knows how to write inspirational and uplifting stories as well.

Shame his run was destroyed by constant crossovers... and bad ones at that. He has written some very good single issues!

#17 Posted by Onemoreposter (3867 posts) - - Show Bio

@papinacho: Yeah, Morrison can be kinda polarizing among the fans. He gets a little to heady sometimes, even for me. I checked out the first issue of Superman Unchained and didn't like it well enough to pick up the second. I don't hate Snyder or anything but I'm not really a fan of his writing style or types of stories he likes to tell.

#18 Posted by Lvenger (17887 posts) - - Show Bio

@squalleon: I guess but his Christmas issue was glorious. Even in the crossovers, he kept a good Superman voice. As for the crossovers, although they may not have been as good as they could be, they were efforts to put Superman in the limelight by DC. Something that's mostly neglected nowadays by DC execs.

#19 Posted by Billy Batson (57706 posts) - - Show Bio

Meh, it was just nostalgia.

BB

#20 Posted by Squalleon (4051 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

@squalleon: I guess but his Christmas issue was glorious. Even in the crossovers, he kept a good Superman voice. As for the crossovers, although they may not have been as good as they could be, they were efforts to put Superman in the limelight by DC. Something that's mostly neglected nowadays by DC execs.

True and some of them had good ideas behind but the constant crossover form and the inconsistency between the titles diminished the impact of the stories. I remember some of Kelly's single issues like the "For a thousand years" and "Metropolis Knights". Also Kelly created one of my favorite female Superman villians the Encantadora, so underused...she could be the Catwoman of Superman (but with a one sided crush).

#21 Posted by EnigmaLantern (707 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm definitely looking forward to Johns on Superman from April onwards

#22 Posted by Z3RO180 (6250 posts) - - Show Bio

The only Johns Superman comics I have read are Brainiac and Last Son and they are freaking awesome.