Did anyone else feel MoS inspired a lot of hope?

• 102 results
Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

A lot of people seem to criticize Men of Steel for not inspiring hope because that's what Superman is meant to do. I have a hard time imagining I was watching the same movie as those people because to me that's exactly what the movie did do. Sure he was a rookie who made some mistakes in the film, but he was always striving to be the best hero he could be. The whole theme of the movie was basically "Hope for the future" so I really don't see where the criticisms come from.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

Film is subjective.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

In respose to the title, hahahahahahahaha no.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

It seems more like the kind of movie that inspires PTSD, but to each their own.

Superboy101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman saved the world from Zod and the world engine. So for me yes.

Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Film is subjective.

What he said. I didn't get ANY hope from it. Very Dark bleak movie. Waiting for him to put

Which would make a lot more sense with that movie.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Wolverine008

The soundtrack is inspiring, but not the movie itself.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@manchine: I personally haven't been inspired to be a hero by any movie, cbm or not. I'm too much of a selfish bastard / realist.

But to each his own :p

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To tell the truth, none of superhero movies ever inspired hope in me (I find them generally to be too detached from real life to do something like that to anyone, so this particular complain about MOS never made any sense to me). But gotta give it MOS – it was “wake up and start applying some real efforts to achieve your purpose, don’t be afraid of hardships and mistakes on your way”-kind of movie.

Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@manchine: I personally haven't been inspired to be a hero by any movie, cbm or not. I'm too much of a selfish bastard / realist.

But to each his own :p

Same here no movie has inspired me to be a hero. That wasn't the question. As for hope, certain movies/tv shows sometimes can inspire that.

Avatar image for manofstealitall
ManofStealitall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If by "inspired" you mean if I was inspired to never do anything until someone told me to and to be as reckless as possible while doing it, then yes.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hope is not the same for everyone.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13  Edited By SaintWildcard

@manchine said:

@fallschirmjager said:

Film is subjective.

What he said. I didn't get ANY hope from it. Very Dark bleak movie. Waiting for him to put

I know Ultraman, I love Ultraman. MoS was no Ultraman. So stop making this dumb joke cus you're only making me want an Ultraman film

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All the movie did was preach it, it didn't show much of it though and i'm being nice.

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If by "inspired" you mean if I was inspired to never do anything until someone told me to and to be as reckless as possible while doing it, then yes.

Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Manchine

@manchine said:

@fallschirmjager said:

Film is subjective.

I know Ultraman, I love Ultraman. MoS was no Ultraman. So stop making this dumb joke cus you're only making me want an Ultraman film

Well it was a lot closer to Ultraman then it was to Superman. Lots of other people think this way way also. Just because you don't like doesn't make it not going to happen.

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@manchine said:

@fallschirmjager said:

Film is subjective.

Hardly.

Avatar image for pperspectiveandreality
Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I....nevermind. I'm tired of arguing about how this was a good movie.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By buttersdaman000

If you're looking for inspiration in a hollywood blockbuster you're dumb af

Like really, are you waiting for a Superman film to inspire you to save a cat from a tree?? lol

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@manchine said:

@saint_wildcard said:

@manchine said:

@fallschirmjager said:

Film is subjective.

Well it was a lot closer to Ultraman then it was to Superman. Lots of other people think this way way also. Just because you don't like doesn't make it not going to happen.

He wasn't cocky he wasn't snorting Kryptonite, he saved earth, he didn't enjoy killing, he loved his parents, he wasn't arrogant. How was he closer to Ultraman exactly?

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In reality you can't debate quality, only the nit picks.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

To be honest I never feeled hopeful during this movie.

Why? Because for a movie that preached hope every two scenes or so, it was too dark. For a "hopeful" movie, it was depressing and dark. And what do we get in the end, the embodiment of hope (who only laughed once during the movie, who also was happy only once during the movie) to kill another person.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like really, are you waiting for a Superman film to inspire you to save a cat from a tree?? lol

Considering that the comic book character from which the movie adapted itself from is based around hope and inspiring, I don't really see the problem with expecting the same from the movie adaptation.

Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pperspectiveandreality said:

In reality you can't debate quality, only the nit picks.

People love nitpicking MOS.

Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@manchine said:

@saint_wildcard said:

@manchine said:

@fallschirmjager said:

Film is subjective.

He wasn't cocky he wasn't snorting Kryptonite, he saved earth, he didn't enjoy killing, he loved his parents, he wasn't arrogant. How was he closer to Ultraman exactly?

Superman doesn't kill. Superman also doesn't let his dad die in front of him no matter what. Superman doesn't let hundreds of thousand of people die. This was a very DARK movie. I personally don't like movies which is the reason why I dislike Batman Trilogy. Them making Superman Darker/edgier is just pushing away the long time fans. I will take Superman Returns and Green Lantern (two great movies) over what they are pushing now.

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@manchine said:

@saint_wildcard said:

@manchine said:

@saint_wildcard said:

@manchine said:

@fallschirmjager said:

Film is subjective.

Superman doesn't kill. Superman also doesn't let his dad die in front of him no matter what. Superman doesn't let hundreds of thousand of people die. This was a very DARK movie. I personally don't like movies which is the reason why I dislike Batman Trilogy. Them making Superman Darker/edgier is just pushing away the long time fans. I will take Superman Returns and Green Lantern (two great movies) over what they are pushing now.

What was he suppposed to do against Zod in that MOMENT? Okay the dad part was dumb as heck. Theres no proof that thousand of people diead and even if it did happen it wasn't Superman's fault.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@manchine said:

@saint_wildcard said:

@manchine said:

@saint_wildcard said:

@manchine said:

@fallschirmjager said:

Film is subjective.

Superman doesn't kill in my mind.

Fixed for accuracy, cus he has..... GET USED TO IT!!!!

Superman also doesn't let his dad die in front of him no matter what.

I'll agree that was the one moment that took me out of the movie but realistically would you want your son to be hunted forever or put in a lab, if that were to happen there would be no Superman. I think almost any father would take the bullet for their son like that, he simply honored his wishes. That being said, Ultraman killed his parents because the became of no use to him, not the same.

Superman doesn't let hundreds of thousand of people die.

1000 or 8 Billion? You decide. And he could have tried to stop the Zod's ship in Metropolis but the real World Engine was on the other side, so any attempts to save people in Metropolis would have been in vain cus the machine would have kept going and destroying while Superman saved a few dozen people. More people would have died if he stopped Zod's ship first.

People love nitpicking MOS.

I blame All-Star, it set the bar to high and that's what the casual ocmic reader expect from him. Just ask JakeN7

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. Destorying the entire city doesn't really inspire hope. Nothing in that movie inspired hope. Except hope that this random alien gets off of our planet. I'm not nit picking and I actually liked the movie a lot, but he did NOT inspire hope at all.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

stop with the mass quotes >_>

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

H8ers!

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

stop with the mass quotes >_>

HA!! I just realized a while ago that you were being quoted.

Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_wildcard:

Funny enough, All Star actually has a lot of flaws. I'm currently writing a detailed critique of it that I plan to post here in the next few weeks once I've finished it.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_wildcard:

Funny enough, All Star actually has a lot of flaws. I'm currently writing a detailed critique of it that I plan to post here in the next few weeks once I've finished it.

You are gonna be so popular after that :P

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buttersdaman000 said:

Considering that the comic book character from which the movie adapted itself from is based around hope and inspiring, I don't really see the problem with expecting the same from the movie adaptation.

I do.

The Superman story/character is one of hope and inspiration, but that doesn't mean it's inspiring in itself. I've been reading the comics for years now and not once have I flipped the last page, looked up from the book, and said "damn, I gotta save some cats." I've only ever been inspired by real life events and people. The only people I know of who have actually directly been inspired by superheroes are the ones who run around cities in costumes trying to stop muggers i.e weirdos. But yeah, I have read stories that I felt were inspirational and full of hope. IMO, MoS is just as good as them in that regard.

Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_wildcard:

Yeah I expect a lot of anger, but it just isn't as perfect as some peoplemake it out to be. Isit a step in the direction of where comic storytelling should go? Absolutely. Is it without it's share of flaws and plotholes? Not at all. As I said, it will be a critique, not simply snark. As Mark Waid said, anyone can write internet snark. Writing actual criticism is more difficult.

Avatar image for batsymyplaything
batsymyplaything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By batsymyplaything
@manchine said:

I will take Superman Returns and Green Lantern (two great movies) over what they are pushing now.

Are you talking about Ryan Reynold's Green Lantern???? I wouldn't mark it as a "great" movie by any standards, but that's just me.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SaintWildcard

@erik said:

H8ers!

No Caption Provided
This is what Supes does to haters
This is what Supes does to haters

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_wildcard:

Yeah I expect a lot of anger, but it just isn't as perfect as some peoplemake it out to be. Isit a step in the direction of where comic storytelling should go? Absolutely. Is it without it's share of flaws and plotholes? Not at all. As I said, it will be a critique, not simply snark. As Mark Waid said, anyone can write internet snark. Writing actual criticism is more difficult.

Out of curiosity which are the main flaws for you?

DwightSpitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By DwightSpitz

I dont know about inspiring but I really liked the movie. The only thing that felt weird was Superman killing Zod.

Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon:

I really don't want to spoil it here. I'd rather it was read in totality upon it's completion. I'll tag you in it though.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Wolverine008

@wolverine08 said:

@buttersdaman000 said:

I do.

The Superman story/character is one of hope and inspiration, but that doesn't mean it's inspiring in itself. I've been reading the comics for years now and not once have I flipped the last page, looked up from the book, and said "damn, I gotta save some cats." I've only ever been inspired by real life events and people. The only people I know of who have actually directly been inspired by superheroes are the ones who run around cities in costumes trying to stop muggers i.e weirdos. But yeah, I have read stories that I felt were inspirational and full of hope. IMO, MoS is just as good as them in that regard.

Of course a comic book story/character can be inspiring within itself, especially if that's what the central theme of the character is supposed to be. Being inspired by that particular fictional character doesn't equate to acting crazy. I could just end up being inspired by certain qualities that character had through their journies and try emulate them here and there in my life. What I'm starting to gather from this thread is that the people whom liked Man of Steel(Not saying this is you just in case) seem to know the movie swung and missed with its attempts at being inspirational and are know responding to easy to see through bluffs like:"Comic books aren't inspirational!" "Well, I was never inspired by movies anyway!"

legacy6364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By legacy6364

Though the movie was great I don't think it inspired a lot of hope. Superman has killed before. No one had a problem with it when he killed ZOD in superman 2. I think the soldiers inspired me more than anything. So many of them died trying to take out the kryptonians.

And for those of you complaining about the city destruction, Please explain to me how you could protect the city while getting chocked and stomped out by 2 KRYPTONIANS. How about while getting thrown through buildings. Cut the guy in blue some slack. It's kind of hard to protect people while trying not to DIE!

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By w0nd

@manchine said:

@saint_wildcard said:

@manchine said:

@fallschirmjager said:

Film is subjective.

Ultraman showed off his power, flaunted it, never shut up, murdered and enjoyed murdering, was pretty much a tyrant. I am in no way being rude or a smart ass but I would your point of view as to why he was closer to ultraman? Different outlook. I did read your post. I think there is a difference between collateral damage, and going out of your way to murder someone because you enjoy it. And the instance we saw superman kill he was traumatized by it, where as ultraman wouldn't care what so ever.

Letting his dad die was also stupid, VERY stupid, but once again he was sad. In the comics ultramans parents didnt care about him, they just wanted their name to live on, and i doubt he would care about them at all. The only similiar things i can find is the damage that was caused. One felt bad about it clearly, the other wouldn't care.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Squalleon

@squalleon:

I really don't want to spoil it here. I'd rather it was read in totality upon it's completion. I'll tag you in it though.

I definetely want to see the complete product. Anxiously awaiting.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd said:

Ultraman showed off his power, flaunted it, never shut up, murdered and enjoyed murdering, was pretty much a tyrant. I am in no way being rude or a smart ass but I would your point of view as to why he was closer to ultraman? Different outlook. I did read your post. I think there is a difference between collateral damage, and going out of your way to murder someone because you enjoy it. And the instance we saw superman kill he was traumatized by it, where as ultraman wouldn't care what so ever

It was just a bad joke. He/She has no ground to say that.

Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@manchine said:

I will take Superman Returns and Green Lantern (two great movies) over what they are pushing now.

Are you talking about Ryan Reynold's Green Lantern???? I wouldn't mark it as a "great" movie by any standards, but that's just me.

Yes I am talking about that one, but that's also just me. =)

Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd said:

Just like the Origin can change for any character ... heck if you see this as a Superman movie you just changed it. I see this as a Ultraman, like other people have. Origin just changed. One kill can lead to another and another making it easier and easier. Since its obvious they are going for the darker tone with the next movie. Hopefully DC will realize superhero movies don't have to be dark like batman.

Bsaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@manofstealitall: you mean like when he was saving people at the oil rig, and was known as a sort of guardian angel with no face type? Which, btw, is how he was in THE EFFING BYRNE RUN!!!!! Oh wait, I forgot, people like Mark Waid and Geoff Johns hate the Byrne run because it eliminated the stupidity that is their precious Silver Age.

Avatar image for SuperStar_sketcher
SuperStar_sketcher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

man of steel>>>>any other superman movie...and yes to the op.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Will there ever be an MoS topic that doesn't end in a debate?