Definitive Superman Run

Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Just wanted to ask all you fellow Superman fans what is the defintive Superman run in your opinions. As long as the writer worked on him for at least 12 issues or more.

Ex: Mark Waid did a "run" since he did the 12 issue maxiseries Birthright.

Writers like Grant Morrison and Mark Millar who did various things for the character count as well.

Ex: Morrison's Action Run, All Star, Beyond and Master Men all together encompass his run on Superman. Millar would be his Adventures run, Red Son, Stints on Action, Superman, Adventures of Supes, Superman Save The Animals, Tangent and Team Superman one shot all come together to form his run as well.

Just clearing things up. So there might be less trouble figuring out a specific run.

My personal favorite is Morrison. His 34 issue body of work on Superman is a gem in my opinion. Perfectly encompasses everything I adore about the character.

Sound off Below.

bakera8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Grant Morrison (All Star, not new 52)

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Squalleon

I guess Elliot S Maggin's (and partly Cary Bates') run.

While it isn't my favorite, or even near, I feel he had a great grasp of the character and he added concepts that are used today. He is a main influence when it comes to Superman comics of most big Superman writers like Morrison,Waid, Millar and Moore. He WAS a definitive Superman writer along with Bates like how Curt Swan was the definitive artist, and in a way he is the Chris Claremont of Superman, he might have become dated but he had a great impact on the next generations and his work is important.

And while I believe the addition, popularization and evolution of ideas makes you a great writer, I don't know if that makes you a definitive one, but when all the greats are influenced and follow your paradigm, that probably accounts for something right.

So yes, Maggin (and Bates) because his work shaped the best works that came after.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Squall pretty much says my answer too, Elliot S Maggins did set the standard for the future of good Superman stories more than some people are aware of. For writers like Waid, Morrison, Johns or Mark Millar, Maggins was one of the Superman writers they would have read before getting into comics. Before the modern writers defined Superman in their own way, Maggins was pretty much the definitive Superman writer alongside Cary Bates, the one who told the best written and arguably best Superman stories during the late Silver Age and Bronze Age. As it's been said, Maggins and Bates are the writers who shaped what Superman would be in years to come so that's as fitting the definition of definitive as can be.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

Squall pretty much says my answer too, Elliot S Maggins did set the standard for the future of good Superman stories more than some people are aware of. For writers like Waid, Morrison, Johns or Mark Millar, Maggins was one of the Superman writers they would have read before getting into comics. Before the modern writers defined Superman in their own way, Maggins was pretty much the definitive Superman writer alongside Cary Bates, the one who told the best written and arguably best Superman stories during the late Silver Age and Bronze Age. As it's been said, Maggins and Bates are the writers who shaped what Superman would be in years to come so that's as fitting the definition of definitive as can be.

I wonder why DC hasn't released a collection of them. It seems silly not too. These stuff, to me are the equivalent of what O'Neil did with Batman, so if you market it correctly and make people aware you will certainly find an audience.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, all of my posts have been deleted because of some glitch.

And not only in this thread.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: You got hit by the banning bug too? CV is really starting to show its glitchiness lately, this is simply absurd that so many users are losing their forum posts and work over this.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: Not necessarily, the mods and bug staff can restore your past posts if you tell them you've lost them. However, there are a lot of users who've lost posts to this stupid bug glitch.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@squalleon: Not necessarily, the mods and bug staff can restore your past posts if you tell them you've lost them. However, there are a lot of users who've lost posts to this stupid bug glitch.

They are back! I am glad, because I felt I had to re-post quite some stuff.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Lvenger

@squalleon: I'm very glad to hear it, the bug staff are putting in the effort going round to restore users' posts, blogs and other stuff they've lost. Still a lot more to go according to the official thread though.