Could Superman bust a planet?

• 117 results
DeathandGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Alot of people would say no because he's never done it or attempted to in the past. But that's kind of the thing HE DOESN'T WANT TO. Superman won't break a planet because of the number of lives it would end which goes against literally everything he stands for but if Superman truly let loose and gave it his all do you think he could be planet buster status?

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

He has lifted the wait of the planet and moved it and his punches where heard in space but I don't think he could destroy a planet....he can how ever burn it from space with his heat vision.

Avatar image for youmessinwithme
youmessinwithme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it would depend on the planet. He claims he's strong enough (pre-flashpoint) but he also K.O.'s himself while busting a moon which is the largest thing i've seen him bust and he does it with an infinite mass body slam. and it was a copy of our moon. But that being said planets range in size to the point that they are even smaller than the moon. Pluto (technically no longer a planet) is smaller than the moon or Russia. mars's moon's are small enough that you could literally run all the way around the equator in a day. So mars's moons he would still shatter with one punch even if he does get K.O.ed smashing our many many times larger moon.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By MakkyD

If Scott Lobdell was writing it, yes.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

@maccyd said:

And that is why I love Scott Lobdell's work.

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By UltimateSMfan

Planet buster in the sense destroy a planet in one blow or tear it apart? He can easily do the latter, the former may require an infinite mass punch.

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superboy Prime in his Superman Prime version destroyed some Earth.

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

yes.

DeathandGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mitran said:

Yes, he could. Shockwaves from his punching H'el were actually felt in the core of the earth. Not just as minor activity either. Turn that force onto a planet and I see no reason he shouldn't be able to pound it to pieces.

That was my theory too. H'El has some insane durability and his body softened the blows and yet it shook the planet out to the watchtower.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#11 SC  Moderator

Sure why not? Its Superman, he has deus ex machine level strength, speed and durability. You fly fast enough at something and you break it. Then you just need to survive hitting it/puncturing through it. We know Superman can fly really fast and we know he has pretty good durability.

That also being said, small pet peeve time, the smallest planet we know is around the size of our moon, then there are planets twice as big as Jupiter, and thats before talking about density and composition etc the uniformity of referring to something as a planet can have a lot more to do than with its ability for a humanoid figure to break though it… can be a bit like comparing a bicycle and a truck and trailer (can Batman lift up things with wheels?) but that being said… fiction, so yeah small fluffy planet or big dense planet depends on the writer.

DarkDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He did this, so my answer is probably.
He did this, so my answer is probably.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

I actually think DC planets are more durable than Marvel planets.

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By PeppeyHare

Probably

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By Bruxae

Yes, he could.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Yes he can and so can World Breaker Hulk!!

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By AllStarSuperman

@sog7dc said:

this honestly

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SOG7dc

@sog7dc said:

this honestly

The main difference, i think, is that most DC characters don't want to destroy a planet. Darkseid doesn't even want to destroy them he just wants to dominate them. For goodness sakes when Superman and doomsday fought to the death little more happened than windows shattering.

SheenLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc said:

this honestly

They're both freaking adamantium compared to DBZ planets.

DeathandGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By DeathandGrim

@allstarsuperman said:

@sog7dc said:

this honestly

They're both freaking adamantium compared to DBZ planets.

Dat Vegeta tho lol

Destroys a planet by pointing at it. Gets beat by the low levels.

DeathandGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezza said:

And that's why I made this thread. In the battles forum Superman can never be considered a planet buster because well he doesn't bust them. So when it comes to matching him up with powerhouses the term "planet buster" comes up and Superman defenders have to go... "Well damn."

SPM1M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathandgrim: Pre 52 Superman sure can

1. He busted a darkmoon with an infinite body slam although he knocked himself out.

2. He has claimed he could destroy planets with his bare hands.

3. When fighting Konvict stated that he was hitting Konvict with blows that could shatter small planets.

4. And finally he actually busted earth 2 as a side effect of his fight with earth two superman during infinite crisis.

5. He also has shown to encompass the whole earth in this heat vision but to wat heat it is unknown.

As for New 52 superman its hard to say the best he has shown was blows that could level mountains with his fight with Hel but he could reach planet busting strength shortly the way Lobdell is writing him.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezza said:

And that's why I made this thread. In the battles forum Superman can never be considered a planet buster because well he doesn't bust them. So when it comes to matching him up with powerhouses the term "planet buster" comes up and Superman defenders have to go... "Well damn."

that is really annoying

Avatar image for deactivated-64332b810a025
deactivated-64332b810a025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd said:

And that is why I love Scott Lobdell's work.

Scott Lobdell thinks that he is writing for the silver age. Next thing you know Superman will be juggling galaxies again.

SPM1M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc said:

@deathandgrim said:

@bezza said:

that is really annoying

idk why ppl would bring this up in a debate. "Feat" wise WBH is yet to be a planet buster, he didnt do it alone it was a combined effort along with she rulk. that being said i do believe hulk is a planet buster, hulk like superman has plenty of supporting feats. its annoying how ppl bring up this feat but yet deny superman is anywhere near that strength, that is wat u call bias and it seems to be apparent in most hulk fans.

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spm1m: Only WWH is planet buster,he and red she hulk energy+force put together destroy a planet,normal hulk can destroy a planet is because his durability not strength

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spm1m: Superman fight E2 superman destroy a planet?really?I really dont belive Pre-52 superman can destroy a planet with his fist,Destroying planet with your body has nothing to do with how much you can lift or push.

When you are destroying a planet with a punch, all you need is enough speed and enough durability, it has nothing to do with lifting strength.

You could be unable to lift 1 T, but if you are able to fly FTL and if you have enough durability you should be able to destroy a planet

That was superman did

No Caption Provided

same thing like hulk destroy Asteroid

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SOG7dc
PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: Dont know,but superman FTL go to destroy a planet,he will have infinite mass,so,destroy a planet is really weak feats

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ya mon

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for consolemaster001
consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#32  Edited By consolemaster001

Yup

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As mentioned above, Kal-El and Kal-L's fight destroys Earth-2, KNOCKS them into different "dimensions", and finally destroys all of reality. I will say it before anyone jumps up and says it themselves, reality was weakened before the fight, but still THEY SHATTERED REALITY, weakened or otherwise, that is insane.

As far as current Supes, he could easily throw a planet into a star or black hole at least, does that count?

And yes, I love Lobdell for making Supes powerful again.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@saint_wildcard: I really do like Lobdell's work. He makes everything a fun and exciting read. He's doing a great job on Superman!

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#36  Edited By Lvenger

As I've said before, currently Superman doesn't have the feats to lead us to that conclusion so for now it should be abstained from making that judgement. But I wouldn't object to any on panel feats of Superman busting up a planet.

GoldenOozaru22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: @deathandgrim:

From what I've seen froms scans here on comicvine, superman cannot "bust" a planet the size of earth. If he nearly dies from "busting" a moon, how would he be able to survive busting an earth size planet? I believe from the evidence ive seen so far that superman does not have the technique for "busting" a planet.

However I do believe he could destroy a planet over an unknown period of time.... I say this because I read a scan a while back that superman stated something along the lines of "anything will shatter if pounded enough". And with Supermans stamina and strength I see it being possible but only over an unknown period of time....and depending on the size of the planet, it could take anywhere from a few hours to a couple months to accomplish. Which brings up a question of mine,

What does everyone count as a planet "bust"? A single attack? A few attacks within a certain amoun of time? Or as long as the planet is destroyed before the "character" has to recover his energy/stamina/strength....

DeathandGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@goldenoozaru22: nearly dies? When?

And I believe he could easily break a planet. He has no defined upper limit as has been stated numerous times. But I think it hasn't been written like that because DC doesn't just destroy planets all willy nilly.

GoldenOozaru22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathandgrim: on the last scan above where he was knocked unconious from busting the moon.

An yes you can "believe", but he has not shown any feats to be able to bust a planet.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Lvenger

@goldenoozaru22 said:

@lvenger: @deathandgrim:

From what I've seen froms scans here on comicvine, superman cannot "bust" a planet the size of earth. If he nearly dies from "busting" a moon, how would he be able to survive busting an earth size planet? I believe from the evidence ive seen so far that superman does not have the technique for "busting" a planet.

However I do believe he could destroy a planet over an unknown period of time.... I say this because I read a scan a while back that superman stated something along the lines of "anything will shatter if pounded enough". And with Supermans stamina and strength I see it being possible but only over an unknown period of time....and depending on the size of the planet, it could take anywhere from a few hours to a couple months to accomplish. Which brings up a question of mine,

What does everyone count as a planet "bust"? A single attack? A few attacks within a certain amoun of time? Or as long as the planet is destroyed before the "character" has to recover his energy/stamina/strength....

There's enough to reasonably speculate he can though not enough to properly assert without evidence. And scans have been shown of him moon busting on two other separate occasions. It was clearly the act of Superman travelling at light speed which ended up KOing him, not the act of moon busting itself for which there are two reliable feats for that feat. I can safely and strongly assert that Superman doesn't KO himself from moon busting.

I think a single attack does tend to count as planet busting though people put Gladiator's striking power above Superman's based on his planet busting feat and that took several punches to do.

GoldenOozaru22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: what you just literally stated was : superman traveling at light speed = ko

Superman flying into a moon= no ko?

For some reason I do not accept that lol.

That last scan proves that his technique for moon busting causes him to be knocked out...

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@goldenoozaru22: It was the speed at which he was travelling that caused the KO on point of impact. So it was both factors that KOed Superman. There are two concrete feats which dispute the basis of your argument

And this one where he flies through another moon and is perfectly fine

No Caption Provided

Thus, your argument really doesn't have much weight behind it when actual feats are shown on the table.

GoldenOozaru22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By GoldenOozaru22

@lvenger: my argument is that he cannot bust an earth size planet because he does not have the technique capable of doing so... His technique for destroying a moon caused him to be knocked out...

And that last scan you posted says nothing about him destroying it or flying through it. In your perspective , you say he flew through it. However, From my perspective I can see he is tearing up the surface of the moon as he flies near it. And in "my perspective", going through a moon like that should not cause a diagonal split... If anything, if he went through the moon, it should either have been destroyed like the other one did, or have multiple fissures all over the moon, or even just a cylindrical hole where he "flew though it". That's why it appears to me he never went through the moon... Do you have another scan showing that he successfully busted a moon without getting knocked out? Cause the last scan does not prove he busted it

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#44  Edited By Fallschirmjager

Just because something is labeled a "moon" does not means its smaller than a planet.

Planets and moons vary in size. Either can be bigger or larger.

Also. Technically there is only 1 Moon - that is Earth's. Everything else is a satellite.

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Sure he can

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Lvenger

@lvenger: my argument is that he cannot bust an earth size planet because he does not have the technique capable of doing so... His technique for destroying a moon caused him to be knocked out...

And that last scan you posted says nothing about him destroying it or flying through it. In your perspective , you say he flew through it. However, From my perspective I can see he is tearing up the surface of the moon as he flies near it. And in "my perspective", going through a moon like that should not cause a diagonal split... If anything, if he went through the moon, it should either have been destroyed like the other one did, or have multiple fissures all over the moon, or even just a cylindrical hole where he "flew though it". That's why it appears to me he never went through the moon... Do you have another scan showing that he successfully busted a moon without getting knocked out? Cause the last scan does not prove he busted it

He was flying at light speed, that's what KOed him. His other techniques worked just fine.

Superman clearly caved through the moon in that scan, that's what makes it a fine piece of evidence being able to counter your flawed assertion. You can see how deep the hole is and the fact it's a dead moon means he doesn't hold back in his strike on it. Your perspective is clearly mistaken in trying to discount this feat when it blatantly shows Superman caving the moon in half. I don't have any other scans but the two I have are all I need with the right interpretation behind the feat. Unless you can soundly discredit these two showings, it's reasonable to conclude that it was the light speed motion that KOed Superman when he hit the shadow moon. So far, that has been proven by me to be the case.

GoldenOozaru22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By GoldenOozaru22

@lvenger: @fallschirmjager:

Sort of, read the scan......

It says a small dead moon off Saturn.

Anyways even if he went through this moon, which was claimed as a small moon, that still does not prove he can use that technique to "planet bust". Does anyone know how big the shadow moon was that caused him to be knocked out? And lvenger, why exactly do you keep saying its the light speed that knocked him out? Does it claim that anywhere? Or is it just your opinion?(educated guess) And since he was knocked out doing that to a moon, how would that technique even be plausible for something even 5 times larger or more.....

Since so far there is no evidence of superman showing capabilities of busting a planet, the answer is no he is not a planet buster, he is only a moon buster.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@goldenoozaru22: Saturn has a satelittle larger than Mercury.

Jupiter has one that's almost the size of Mars.

Also stop tagging me. I wasn't even replying to you directly with my earlier comment.

GoldenOozaru22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By GoldenOozaru22

@fallschirmjager:

First of all what is your point behind your first two sentences??

and I tagged you because i wanted to talk to you!! wht is your deal?? If anyone tags you are you going to complain? you were complaining about us calling the shadow moon and the Saturn moon a moon instead of a satellite. Sorry i did not know we were in class teacher. besides, Read the scan , we are in the right for calling it a moon!!!! I was aiming my first two lines at you only, I'm on an iPhone, I cannot separate tags.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@goldenoozaru22: My point is, just because its a satellite or a moon means nothing to its size. Satellites can be bigger than planets. Our Moon is bigger than Pluto and nearly the same size as Mercury. So just because you call something a planet and not a satellite or moon, doesn't mean its a greater destruction feat unless you know exactly how the two compare in size.

Furthermore - there is only 1 Moon. That is Earth's. Its name is Moon. I don't care if the writer says it a moon, he's still technically incorrect.

Everything else is a satellite. I was being facetious over the proper term in my original post.

And no, I don't complain about anyone tagging me. I just don't care for you to tag me because you are a long-proven DBZ fanboy and I don't care to argue with you.