k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
No Caption Provided

No matter how you feel about Man of Steel, it's tough not to get at least a little curious about seeing Batman, Wonder Woman, and Superman finally sharing a live-action movie in 2016. Whether Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justicewill be an epic experience or a major disappointment has yet to be revealed. Obviously, we won't know for sure until we see it in a theater, but many of us are wondering how the next DC movie will turn out.

While Zack Snyder'sMan of Steel was technically the beginning of DC's cinematic universe, it didn't feel like it was doing too much worldbuilding and it mostly focused on its titular character. Sure, there were some exciting Easter Eggs here and there, but it's looking like Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice will give Warner Bros. the chance to really expand its new movieverse. Again, only time will tell whether it'll be added to the list of great comic book movies, but there's a few reasons to feel at least a little excited about the upcoming movie.

*Contains Man of Steel spoilers*

Kal-El is now Superman

No Caption Provided

Man of Steel was mostly about Kal-El discovering who he is and trying to find his place in the world. He's stepped into the costume and overcome his first big challenge -- an obstacle which forced him to choose between his people or the planet he's grown to call home. Now, he's in the role many expected to see in Man of Steel: he's working for the Daily Planet, has a handle on his powers, and, for the most part, is confident in where he stands in the world. We all saw that actor Henry Cavill has the physical presence down, but his dialogue was limited and many scenes consisted of him reflecting -- he was mostly the strong and silent type. Seeing as this movie will have the Man of Steel interacting with the brilliant and scheming Lex Luthor, the tactical and clever Bruce Wayne, and many more, it feels safe to assume we'll see Cavill have more lines as he has debates with these characters. With opinions divided after what went down in Metropolis and characters like Lex taking advantage of that, Superman will need to speak up, and seeing as Argo's writer assisted with the script, it seems fair to assume both Superman and Clark will have more verbal interactions instead of just reflecting and eventually speaking up.

Snyder's handling of action

No Caption Provided

Sure, people still argue over how the characters acted in the fights, but the way it was all presented was quite awesome. The meshing of practical and CGI worked well in most of the fights and they reeled us into all of the high speed combat and chaos without making it a nauseating experience. If Snyder turned Faora -- a character many moviegoers haven't heard of -- into a standout villain in brawls, we can only imagine what he'll do to prove how formidable the most iconic female hero in comic book history truly is. It doesn't seem likely Wonder Woman will have a significant role or we'll see much of her origin story just yet, but after giving us a look at Gal Gadot in the armor, it's tough to believe they won't give us a sample of how badass the Amazon can be in combat. And considering Snyder called a radio station to talk about how powerful Aquaman is, it seems more than likely the King of Atlantis won't be a pushover, either.

Many Batman fans want to see the Dark Knight humiliate the Man of Steel. Many Superman fans want to see Bruce Wayne hopelessly outclassed in physical combat. Based on the swift teaser at this year's San Diego Comic-Con, it looks like we'll get a melee inspired by Frank Miller'sTHE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS, and we're thinking it'll give love to both of these characters. After showing off Kal-El's might in Man of Steel, it's clear Bruce will need to rely on some heavy technology and tactics to stand a chance. Meanwhile, knowing Bruce is a human, Superman likely won't go all out and will hold back a good deal. He'll get his hits in and the implication will be there that he could dominate if he wanted to, but odds are they'll both get some time to shine (Bruce's intellect is sure to keep Clark on his toes) and, since Justice League is next, we all know it'll conclude with them as allies -- or at least that's how it seems. Oh, and that brings us to our next point...

Establishing the Justice League and the Bigger Universe

No Caption Provided

While Marvel Studios spent years establishing each of the characters on the Avengers roster (except for poor ol' Clint Barton), Warner Bros. wants to come out of the gate swinging with its biggest team. Now, it's totally understandable to be concerned about this approach. How can they work in a satisfying plot with Lex Luthor and take steps to form the Justice League? It's a lot to handle, after all. However, it looks like all of these plot points will stem from the tragedy in Metropolis. Humans are not alone and they now know this. A powerful being claims he wants to be their protector and who knows what other kind of threats could travel to Earth? This could cause core characters to step up and react to what occurred in Man of Steel. They may not form the Justice League before the credits begin to role, but if they swiftly introduce who many of these characters are and what makes them unique, that should build enough interest in seeing them grow in the follow-up.

We don't need to see the details about Diana's origin just yet -- just who she is and why she deserves to be in the spotlight. Give us just enough to swat away popular misconceptions and make audiences leave thinking the character is actually quite cool and has potential. Given the fact an Oscar-winner worked on the screenplay (don't worry, that's our next point), it doesn't seem too far-fetched the film could work in a few details about two additional heroes (Wonder Woman, Aquaman) and tease a few others (Cyborg, maybe Flash). Additionally, Luthor's sure to have an extended role in this franchise and there should be plenty of room for this movie to reveal what makes him a challenge for Superman and how he could prove to be a thorn in the Justice League's side down the road... unless Superman snaps his neck after the big battle, of course. Joking, obviously, but in the right hands, doing the basics to introduce two heroes and tease a bigger future for them shouldn't get in the way of a satisfactory plot thread with Luthor. If anything, the emergence of more non-humans should boost his motivation. Fortunately, Batman's origin doesn't need to be retold (although, it wouldn't surprise us if they work it in during some quick exposition) and the film will probably instead focus on what makes this incarnation unique (he's older, more experienced, and, based on SDCC, has more technology).

Argo's writer

No Caption Provided

Chris Terrio, an Oscar-winning writer, worked on David S. Goyer's screenplay. Considering his previous work, Argo, thrived on dialogue and tension, this gives us some hope about the various character dynamics this movie will introduce. Like we said above, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice has a fair amount on its plate (Batman/Superman relationship, Luthor, introducing new heroes), but Terrio's work on Argo really speaks for itself. Yes, Ben Affleck's Argo is a different genre and far more grounded, but the ability to craft organic, intelligent conversations is something this franchise will need to thrive. Spectacle is good and all, but it needs substance, too. Terrio seems to have what it takes to make sure there's heart and compelling material thrown in there. We have a character who needs to be the symbol of hope, two brilliant humans, and a standalone narrative which needs to open the door to a bigger picture. It won't be easy, but having Terrio onboard to rework Goyer's script means it's more than possible that some of the gripes people have with Man of Steel could be addressed and resolved in this follow-up. Even if you liked Man of Steel, this should still be a promising development.

Follow-up to the Metropolis battle

No Caption Provided

When aliens invade and devastate part of a major city, there should be some profound ramifications. Set photos imply there's a strong emphasis on this and it's a more than fitting way to push Lex Luthor forward and enhance his conflict with the Kryptonian. Not only that, but remaining technology from the battle could lead to Luthor developing new tech and even discovering Superman's weaknesses. Assuming it's handled well enough, this will also give us insight into Superman's actions in the last movie. How has killing Zod impacted him? What does it mean for him as he moves forward as a hero? How do Batman, Wonder Woman, and other heroes feel about how he resolved the conflict with General Zod and his forces? What happened in Metropolis is a big deal and it's good to see they aren't simply moving forward and forgetting about it.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#1 frozen  Moderator

I'm slightly excited by Batfleck because he's taking influence from The Dark Knight Returns (one of the best Batman stories of all time) - but how can I be sure if he's good after his trainwreck performance in Daredevil.

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm excited and nothing has told me that I shouldn't be. I have faith in the direction that they're going.

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@frozen: DD was a bad film overall. No need to just blame Ben Affleck

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

I'm excited and nothing has told me that I shouldn't be. I have faith in the direction that they're going.

QFT

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

I am excited for the movie for two reasons. One, I really want to see how Snyder will continue telling us the story of Superman after Man of Steel, all of the destruction and how will he handle the death of Zod. And second, I really want to see what will Affleck do with Batman, will his performance be good or I will still hate him as an actor as always.

Thorverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I absolutely loved Miller's Batman, it's my favorite comic ever. I'd prefer origin movies, heck even in Smallville Flash, Ollie, Aquaman and Cyborg got their own episodes before a team up. I just can't help but thinking they are rushing things to catch up to the Avengers train, but there are risks either way.

After Avengers 2 and with Cap 3 on the horizon, it might just be too much to set up a bunch of slower origin stories for the DC heroes. On the other hand, without stand alone movies, the audience won't have the buy in that they did in Avengers. The author makes a good point in that there's been enough of Batman's origin to go around, although I'm still not in favor of a re-boot, that's just my opinion and I don't think it will hurt sales unless BvS is weak.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

@frozen said:

I'm slightly excited by Batfleck because he's taking influence from The Dark Knight Returns (one of the best Batman stories of all time) - but how can I be sure if he's good after his trainwreck performance in Daredevil.

That was 11 years ago.

I would hate if someone was still judging me for something I did 11 years ago. People do improve.

Affleck may not be a world class actor like Bale was, but he's still good. If you have to go back 11 years to cite a bad performance for an actor, I'd say they're doing pretty good imo.

also....

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen: Affleck was a less experienced actor in Daredevil. It's like comparing Adam Sandler's Waterboy to Going Overboard.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm more excited to Snyder's take on Batman than anything else.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MAZAHS117

I'm probably more excited and interested in this film more than Episode VII. I'm really curious as to exactly how much of Wondy we'll see in the film and how Affleck's Bruce Wayne/Batman will differ from past actors. I haven't seen any movies with Gadot, so she's the wildcard for me and really my only concern for the film. I think Affleck will be good as Batman, I thought his performance as Murdock/DareDevil was really good. Should be really cool to FINALLY see DC's "Big Three" on screen in a live action feature film!

No Caption Provided

dimitridkatsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope sorry, they ruined Superman and gonna do the same to Batman. Good article though, you could sell ice to an Eskimo.

laabitres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

im hip about this movie

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Really only excited about Batman.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 the_stegman  Moderator

How can you NOT be excited?!

Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#15  Edited By The Impersonator

I'm excited about how Superman and Batman are going to take on each other.

EdBlank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

BvS can work but they really have to stop being so gloomy. Why can't they wear red, blue, or green instead of the darkest red blue or green possible without actually being black? Oh, realism. Realism in a CBM is like putting low calorie dressing on deep fried veggies from the local county fair.

Semi off topic. Just watched the "neck snap heard round the cinematic U" again and.... SUPERMAN TURNS ZOD'S HEAD TOWARD THE FAMILY. This would have hastened their vaporization, not prevented it. W... T... F...

Avatar image for BappyRonChantin
BappyRonChantin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Oh people are excited alright!

Avatar image for FeedOnATreeFrog
feedonatreefrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That comic-con teaser seems like a pretty big reason

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 frozen  Moderator

@laflux said:

@frozen: DD was a bad film overall. No need to just blame Ben Affleck

Affleck was awful.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@sesquipedalophobe: @fallschirmjager: It was 11 years ago but he was very good around that period - 5 years prior to that, he was a very capable and convincing actor in Good Will Hunting.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

@frozen: you've never had a bad day at work?

Bsaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@edblank: none of them even wear green, so.....

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 frozen  Moderator

@fallschirmjager: I'll give Affleck a chance - I hope he blows it out of the water; but based on past experience in superhero films, there's a good reason to be weary of him. Still, he's openly admitted that Daredevil wasn't good so I think he's learned since then.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 frozen  Moderator
@rustyroy said:

Agreed. I'm also curious on how the Bat-voice will sound like.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

I'm excited for this movie. I enjoyed Man of Steel as someone who has never been a Superman fan, so including Batman has me excited. I hope DC does take a few pages from Marvel, as Marvel has really been killing the films and mixing drama, action, and humor.

I really hope this is as good as I think it'll be.

K_Thor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy said:

What you think about Gal Gadot as WW?

I don't think it was the right cast but i don't hate this casting so much like some youtubers!!!

darksuper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman v superman will bring the house down because how good will be.

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Posted by GraniteSoldier (7593 posts) - 8 minutes, 32 seconds ago - Show Bio

I'm excited for this movie. I enjoyed Man of Steel as someone who has never been a Superman fan, so including Batman has me excited. I hope DC does take a few pages from Marvel, as Marvel has really been killing the films and mixing drama, action, and humor.

Pretty much this, although I will go out on record as saying I think The Dark Knight is the G.O.A.T , so a more sombre mood could very well work out well too.

jlglidden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By jlglidden

@frozen: Gone Baby Gone, The Town,Argo

cdw101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't see why everyone is hatting on DD movie, batflek wasn't that bad in it, the only poop part of the film is when he fought his now wife Garner in a bloomin park!!! N that was just bad righting!!!

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@laflux said:

Posted by GraniteSoldier (7593 posts) - 8 minutes, 32 seconds ago - Show Bio

Pretty much this, although I will go out on record as saying I think The Dark Knight is the G.O.A.T , so a more sombre mood could very well work out well too.

I agree The Dark Knight is the G.O.A.T but it benefited from Heath Ledger's amazing performance and Christopher Nolan's directing. I don't think Batman vs Superman is going down that route: it won't be geared towards Drama (but it can be good in it's own way).

It'll be interesting to see how Superman will be in this film considering it's set two years after Man of Steel (Superman will thus be 35; so it'll be interesting to see how he's portrayed).

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

#32  Edited By amazing_webhead

You're preaching to the choir, man! :D

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Terrio is the most interesting factor for me, as much as people blame Snyder,he just generally just copies/relies on what's on the script and only really takes a unique stance when it comes to action scenes. Hopefully this new combination will allow both action and story to shine through.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k_thor said:

@rustyroy said:

What you think about Gal Gadot as WW?

I don't think it was the right cast but i don't hate this casting so much like some youtubers!!!

Don't like it(least favorite casting of BvS) but don't hate it either, I hope she's good in the role.

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I agree completely. Can't wait for this film.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

#37  Edited By SaintWildcard
Loading Video...

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By RustyRoy

@frozen said:
@rustyroy said:

I think many fans are curious about that, I hope he doesn't have an accent.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reason not to be excited: It's a WB/DC movie

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 frozen  Moderator

@rustyroy said:

@frozen said:
@rustyroy said:

I think the version used in The Dark Knight Returns animated film was perfect for the Dark Knight Returns version, and considering Affleck is based on that version (though in his mid-40's instead) I hope it'd be similar to that, but I don't think Affleck could pull that voice off.

What do you mean by accent?

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen said:

@rustyroy said:

@frozen said:
@rustyroy said:

I think the version used in The Dark Knight Returns animated film was perfect for the Dark Knight Returns version, and considering Affleck is based on that version (though in his mid-40's instead) I hope it'd be similar to that, but I don't think Affleck could pull that voice off.

What do you mean by accent?

Yeah Peter Weller did a good job as Batman and I meant Affleck's accent.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope sorry, they ruined Superman and gonna do the same to Batman. Good article though, you could sell ice to an Eskimo.

That's just an assumption. You can't be 100% sure that they would ruin Batman even if they did ruin Superman, which in my opinion didn't happen.

dimitridkatsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997 said:

@dimitridkatsis said:

That's just an assumption. You can't be 100% sure that they would ruin Batman even if they did ruin Superman, which in my opinion didn't happen.

Well my opinion is that they did and I have been going to movies hoping they'd be good before, Terminator Salvation, Revenge of the Sith, X-Men origins Wolverine, and missed out on movies that were actually good, Children of men, District 9, Hellboy, from now on I'm going with mu gut and it's already payed off, Guardians of the Galaxy was awesome and I don't mind missing movies like Amazing Spider-man 2. I wanna see good movies from now on and I've seen enough to know when something's gonna be good, when there are articles that tell me I should be excited and promo pics like 2 years prior of a sequel whose 1st part was meh yeah I don't need it.

Avatar image for teddy_the_god_killer
teddy_the_god_killer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am not really too interested in this film from a fan point of view and don't really care either way. But my reason for commenting is that DC are making a big ask to get the general public to assimilate a lot of heroes with no previous modern introduction. I thought the Marvel business model was better (if a bit slow in the build up, way too many films in each phase). Also DC have left a lot of time between films which leaves a lot of dead space. It seems like they caught onto the franchise idea a bit late and seem in a bit of a muddle. The uncertainty about characters and storyline is ok to keep comic fans entertained, we are a simple fickle bunch, but for the wider populace I think it would need a bit more structure to get the public on board. Even the X-men model of using a central character (Wolverine) to bind characters and act as a recognisable face to take the cinema goers on a journey throughout most of the modern films (even as a cameo in DOFP) was decent enough.

GoG worked very well but sacrificed a lot by under-powering, misrepresenting or underutilising almost all the characters, which is ok when you consider the timbre of the film. But the characters in this film are powerhouses through and through so cannot be understated. Also the dark flavour of the previous DC films will present a big challenge as well without the element of levity to ease things e.g. humour.

Just my thoughts and I am probably way off.

p.s. The article was good but had a strong marketing vibe. Reminds me of Total Biscuit's recent video.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 rogueshadow  Moderator

Ignoring the quality of the film, I don't think Ben Affleck was bad in DD...plus he's one of the best directors active in Hollywood, I hope he directs the Batman films and think he probably will.

He's a good actor who is six ft. three and ripped to sh*t, what more do people want from Batman? Seriously?

Basically:

Loading Video...

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#46  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@rogueshadow said:

Ignoring the quality of the film, I don't think Ben Affleck was bad in DD...plus he's one of the best directors active in Hollywood, I hope he directs the Batman films and think he probably will.

He's a good actor who is six ft. three and ripped to sh*t, what more do people want from Batman? Seriously?

Basically:

@saint_wildcard said:
Loading Video...

Yeah, Affleck has a good relationship with WB so I'm also hoping he can direct the next Batman movie.

Dman1366

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just think that it is going to be another Spider-Man 3 or X-Men: TLS on our hands. Way to much story crammed into 2-3 hours. I know DC wants to catch up to Marvel, but if they bomb like those movies it will just do nothing save ruin the possibility to get any GOOD DC characters to the big screen....

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen said:

@sesquipedalophobe: @fallschirmjager: It was 11 years ago but he was very good around that period - 5 years prior to that, he was a very capable and convincing actor in Good Will Hunting.

He played a very minor role in a movie he helped write: nothing noteworthy. My point was that Daredevil was a superhero movie that was garbage and that's all any comic fan cries about, rather than pick him apart for anything he's done with Kevin Smith. Oh, and Gigli and Paycheck. Hey, I know: how about you don't think he can pull off Bruce Wayne/Batman because Reindeer Games made you die inside?

jwrose5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen: Should be good, and Daredevil was 10 years ago. The fact that Affleck is still acting after that is a good sign

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997 said:

@dimitridkatsis said:

Well my opinion is that they did and I have been going to movies hoping they'd be good before, Terminator Salvation, Revenge of the Sith, X-Men origins Wolverine, and missed out on movies that were actually good, Children of men, District 9, Hellboy, from now on I'm going with mu gut and it's already payed off, Guardians of the Galaxy was awesome and I don't mind missing movies like Amazing Spider-man 2. I wanna see good movies from now on and I've seen enough to know when something's gonna be good, when there are articles that tell me I should be excited and promo pics like 2 years prior of a sequel whose 1st part was meh yeah I don't need it.

Everybody has their own taste, I can't judge that. I really know what you are talking about because I have done the same thing more than once through the years and I have felt really bad about it. I just don't agree with you on a certain state because I loved Man of Steel and I really can't wait for Dawn of Justice, but as I already said, everyone has their own opinion and taste on things so I can't judge you at all.

I am just curious, why didn't you like Man of Steel?