inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
No Caption Provided

Greg Berlanti's Supergirl recently found a home on CBS and now, a time slot has been announced for the show. Supergirl, starring Melissa Benoist, will be taking "The Big Bang Theory" timeslot, Mondays at 8PM. This means Supergirl will actually be a competitor to another DC show, Gotham.

In addition to the announcement, a few photos were released from the show, featuring some classic DC characters, in all their live action glory.

No Caption Provided

Here's Calista Flockhart as Cat Grant, sitting at her desk at CatCo.

No Caption Provided

Melissa Benoist, who plays Kara Zor-El AKA Supergirl, stands next to Mehcad Brooks, who plays Jimmy Olsen.

Here's the official synopsis for the show

SUPERGIRL is an action-adventure drama based on the DC Comics character Kara Zor-El (Melissa Benoist), Superman’s (Kal-El) cousin who, after 12 years of keeping her powers a secret on Earth, decides to finally embrace her superhuman abilities and be the hero she was always meant to be. Twelve-year-old Kara escaped the doomed planet Krypton with her parents’ help at the same time as the infant Kal-El. Protected and raised on Earth by her foster family, the Danvers, Kara grew up in the shadow of her foster sister, Alex (Chyler Leigh), and learned to conceal the phenomenal powers she shares with her famous cousin in order to keep her identity a secret. Years later at 24, Kara lives in National City assisting media mogul and fierce taskmaster Cat Grant (Golden Globe Award winner Calista Flockhart), who just hired the Daily Planet’s former photographer, James Olsen (Mehcad Brooks), as her new art director. However, Kara’s days of keeping her talents a secret are over when Hank Henshaw (David Harewood), head of a super-secret agency where her sister also works, enlists her to help them protect the citizens of National City from sinister threats. Though Kara will need to find a way to manage her newfound empowerment with her very human relationships, her heart soars as she takes to the skies as Supergirl to fight crime.

Supergirl is coming to CBS Mondays starting in November.

CaptainCyke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Congrats Jimmy Olson, you went from geeky ginger to hot black guy. If only we all could be so lucky. :P

SirNeko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still can't get over Jimmy being black, call me a racist all you want, doesn't work with me.

Avatar image for captain_batman_ftw
captain_batman_FTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Jimmy is black?

@sirneko said:

I still can't get over Jimmy being black, call me a racist all you want, doesn't work with me.

manuelb132

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its not racist. He is an established character so it will feel weird seeing him completely different.

Bl00dwerK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Are ya'll sure that girl isn't suppossed to be Jimmy Olsen?

SirNeko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jimmy is black?

@sirneko said:

The guy in the picture, it's pretty old news. He was casted months ago.

viin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

...still no interest.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

Supergirl is blonde.

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds like the complete opposite of Gotham and some pure adventure might be a break from the grim despair and mystery of that town. On the other hand two superhero shows against each other? Not really a great idea? As to Jimmy being black? This is television, be glad they're calling it Supergirl and not Strong Blonde. If they spell the names correctly I'm surprised.

Mars8254

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still watched Gotham until the end, but if they are the same time slot i might watch this over Gotham if its better. There are so many comic book shows out now you cant watch them all. That's not bad though.

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Holy cow, Jimmy Olsen looks huge

Shadowstare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know how they're going to explain that Supergirl exists, but Superman doesn't, But it already looks better than Man of Steel. I'm down

Icarusflies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 14

#13 Icarusflies  Moderator

Oh geez, it might be hard for this show to gain footing since many of its viewers would overlap with the people who watch Gotham

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@manuelb132 said:

Its not racist. He is an established character so it will feel weird seeing him completely different.

If you dislike someone because of their race, then that's basically the textbook definition of racist.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So Supergirl becomes a hero before Superman?

manuelb132

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: Am going by changing a well established character change so much that he seems to be a new character not race.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 the_stegman  Moderator

I can get over Jimmy being black, but not hot.

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What happened to ginger, nerdy, skinny and not hot Jimmy Olsen???

JewishDork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Once again the magic of glasses to completely cover up a secret identity.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

stupid

GeeWhiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@manuelb132 said:

If you dislike someone because of their race, then that's basically the textbook definition of racist.

He never mentioned "disliking" him. There are so many people who seem to be very quick to shout out racism.

tx12100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now This Will have to wait along with Preacher, Lucifer, Legends Of Tomorrow. And More Marvel, DaredeviL Season 2, Iron Fist, Luke Cage And Defenders.

Avatar image for captain_batman_ftw
captain_batman_FTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sirneko said:
@captain_batman_ftw said:

Jimmy is black?

@sirneko said:

The guy in the picture, it's pretty old news. He was casted months ago.

I just got to know about it now.

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't imagine Gotham will be a big hurdle. I still can't believe I watched the entire season. I'd love to have those hours back.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm looking forward to this.

hyperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@sirneko: same happens to me, and i think it would be the same if cyborg were blonde

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@mars8254 said:

There are so many comic book shows out now you cant watch them all. That's not bad though.

DVR? (/Online)

Though personally, I don't have interest in enough of them to get back-logged. I'll give this one a shot though, in spite of the liberties taken.

Mutant God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First its Wally West and now Jimmy Olsen theres propaganda going aroud here, propaganda against nerdy male red heads!

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@manuelb132: How does changing his race change his character? if he acts completely the same as he does in the comics (which granted there is a chance he won't) then why does his race matter?

StarBrand1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cant wait, she looks great as kara and supergirl.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geewhiz said:

@captainmarvel4ever said:

@manuelb132 said:

He never mentioned "disliking" him. There are so many people who seem to be very quick to shout out racism.

The original post that started this conversation came from someone saying they disliked the race change.

bdelve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Prediction: Lame

manuelb132

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: It wont then. Sorry, I always have hard time trying to convey the exact message am trying to say.

Avatar image for themantisshrimp
TheMantisShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jimmy Olsen's skin color should not matter to viewers. I've never thought skin and or hair color make actresses or actors look the part, clothing and other attire is much more key. I don't think he is dressed the way Jimmy would dress and that's why it missed the mark for me. But I'll probably check out a few episodes.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@manuelb132: That's fine, we all have that problem online.

Xframe29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll watch it

Sovereign91001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm very excited, I expect good things from this and I guess I'll be DVR'ing Gotham next season. That said, I'm a bit nervous that going up against Gotham will hurt the show 's ratings, I was hoping that it'd be on Wednesday at 9, so it'd get a lead from Arrow and would face no competition. Looks like it's not to be though.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

Another bad superhero TV show filled with hot guys and gals that are perfect....*sigh*

bloggerboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pst, someone should tell them to just have Brooks play Ron Troupe, then cast a ginger to play Olsen. Also, maybe it's just me but I picture Cat Grant being played by a bombshell.

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

Did they brighten up Supergirl's costume? I like it a lot better here than in the previous images I've seen.

Also, Superman exists in this universe? How are they going to address that?

I don't give a crap that Jimmy Olsen is black, but it does bug me that he went from awkward up and comer to suave important guy. It's just...weird. It's so far removed from the comics as to be a whole new character.

Of course, I'm basing this off very little official information. Maybe I'm wrong.

Avatar image for timelordscience
TimeLordScience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By TimeLordScience

Jimmy is way too sexy, lol.

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a really bad feeling about this show. I'll give it a watch.

Leave1942

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The issue seems to have less to do with the race change and more to do with the character change. I think most people would have the same issue if he was played by an attractive white guy who was large, in great shape, and wearing a stylish open Henley shirt.

Numbuh1Nerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Numbuh1Nerd

Not a big fan of what I've heard (especially Jimmy. How does Superman's pal get that hot?!) but I'll give it a shot if it takes up my Monday slot. It seems like it could be fun (and the suit looks much brighter in these pictures) and if it actually exists within the Arrowverse that'll be worth watching for. I kinda hope it isn't involved with Arrow, Flash, and Legends, strictly for the continuity errors that Superman would cause. Would be nice if the Arrowverse had aliens involved, though, because Martian Manhunter would make an excellent addition with his private eye roots and interesting power set.

Avatar image for currentthor2015
CurrentThor2015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: If Billy Batson was cast as Indian or any other race, and was not true to his comic counterpart at all, and you called people out on it, you would too be called racist when its not your intention.

Herx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

How dare they do this to Jimmy! how dare they deviate from the source materials so much >: (
I mean what is it with television and film trying to make everything PC now!!!
that guy's not jimmy olsen! no sir! because the jimmy olsen i know and love would never, ever, EVER be portrayed as not wearing a bow tie!!!!!!!
:P
got you guys there didn't I :P
Who cares about Jimmy. I mean I love the character but in the comics the guys been a giant turtle man, a stretching whatsitnot, a variety of other weird super-powered forms/shapes (and lets not forget the subject of many a "superdickery" posts). In the man of steel universe he is apparently now a she. plus jimmy has had other television appearances where he's not been a direct cut-out from the pages, so yes let us have black jimmy now (and then we will assemble a team. a team of multiverse jimmy olsens who band together and raid clark kents batchalor pad and mooch on his generosity and absence :P). So long as the characters core is intact im fine. Also loving the brighter coloured supergirl costume. But i am kinda sad that this is showing on CBS and not CW. Oh alas, my dreams of a super-<insert sex/animal/object word here> title being intigrated into the arrow/flash-verse is not yet a truth :'(
But i don't know how this is going to compete with Gotham (or why DC would allow the networks to put them on at the same time? its just detramental to them) as although i am not the biggest fan of gotham (imho it sort of lost the plot and didn't feel like the pre-batman city i would have imagined) but the show does appear to have a grasp of the casual batman viewership not to mention the criminal proceedual viewership (which i think is the only viewership left on television now... if it all fails, mix it up and make them solve/fight crime :P) so Supergirl is going to have to have something SUPER to add to the table or else lose out to a show that it should not be competing with.

GeeWhiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By GeeWhiz

@manuelb132: How does changing his race change his character? if he acts completely the same as he does in the comics (which granted there is a chance he won't) then why does his race matter?

Using this logic, why bother with trying to cast actors who look remotely like the character they are playing? Why even try to draw them the same? We could have one issue of Superman featuring a short, fat bald guy. And the next issue the artist would draw him as a skinny asian guy. As long as he acts the same, it really doesn't matter.