gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

This series continues to build on the notion of what happens after an Earth hero saves an alien world from an evil tyrant. Duke McQueen lived a normal life for decades and has now been called back due to another threat against the planet he once saved. Seen as a hero and legend, he’s not so sure if he’s still up to the task and has found himself in a bad situation. Duke has been incarcerated and the demand is he reveal information about the resistance, which he has no information.

Part of the fun is seeing how some of the other aliens see him. These are aliens but Mark Millar is fleshing them out and bringing them to life. But it’s not all talking and character development as the action kicks in big time. Goran Parlov’s art fits the story and characters perfectly. Seeing the pages, you immediately get a sense of the visuals created for this comic book universe. Some scenes have tiny details and facial expressions in the background that shouldn’t be overlooked. Ive Svorcina’s colors make the art pop and adds to the warmth and feel of all the characters.

Millar moves the story forward in ways you don’t expect right away. We get to see some other parts of this planet and new characters plus we get a beauty of a cliffhanger.

The Bad

This comic is a joy to read. My only complaint is I can't get enough. I want to see more of this world and all the characters.

The Verdict

STARLIGHT is the kind of space action adventure story we can all enjoy. Mark Millar takes the space hero from Earth story to a new level that hasn’t been played out before. There’s a great amount of charm and bits of innocence as we see our hero jump back into the saddle of trying to stop an evil space tyrant. Goran Parlov’s art and Ive Svorcina’s colors make the characters stand out from other comics and you can’t help but want more. I’m usually very hard on sci-fi comic books but this one has easily won my heart.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I have been loving this series, I can't wait to read this.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

Issue 4....Usually on these types of books (non big two) I like to start at the beginning. Sounds interesting though.

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I swore I'd never read a Mark Millar book again but I've had to break my promise because I love Starlight so damn much, it's a) reminiscent of Le Petit Prince b) so quaint and cute at once, I love it

AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I swore I'd never read a Mark Millar book again but I've had to break my promise because I love Starlight so damn much, it's a) reminiscent of Le Petit Prince b) so quaint and cute at once, I love it

Why? Cause of the over the top stuff like Wanted and Nemesis?

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By AllStarSuperman

@archizoom: why? What was its unforgivable si n? Other then being boring of cause.

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@allstarsuperman: He made a mockery of both Wonder Woman and Lois Lane which many have done before but in Superman Red Son you get the sense that Millar did it for shits and giggles which didn't go down well with me at all

AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@archizoom: I don't remember Red Son that well, what specifically was bad?

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ArchiZoom

@allstarsuperman: Wonder Woman's portrayal. First she threw herself at Superman but he didn't respond to her booty calls. Then she was somehow captured by Batman and used as a human bait for Superman. She dropped a bomb in the baltic sea seriously injuring herself, her indestructible bracelets were destroyed and as was her soul. She blamed Superman for what had happened although it wasn't his fault and allowed Lex Luthor to use her as a weapon. However, Superman just casually swatted her aside like he had bigger fish to fry and that was the last we saw of Wonder Woman. In a nutshell, superman red son was a resounding f**k you to everyone in the world that cares about Wonder Woman.

AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@archizoom: Ouch, that sucks. But I warn you to edit out the cuss words in your post cause thats breaking rules.

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SavageDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

This was awesome. Best start to a Millar series in years. I really like it a lot.

brianwmckay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Enjoying the ride. First 2 issues figured it was all ages. But the 3rd issue, I was wrong. You have to look in the background to see the sex scenes. But well done.