k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

"You didn't knock, so what makes you think you need an invite?"

Star Wars Rebels is back from a brief break and it returns with an episode that is dedicated to the Padawan-Jedi Master dynamic between Ezra Bridger and Kanan Jarrus. Now, I know what some of you are thinking. "Another episode about these two?" Yes, this is Ezra's story and his path is critical, but yeesh, the rest of the crew isn't getting a whole lot of love, are they? It's a little disappointing they're once again limited to smaller roles, but you know what? It's okay in this case because "Path of the Jedi" is a terrific episode. The twists won't shock you (unless you haven't seen The Empire Strikes Back, I guess, but not seeing that movie is blasphemy), but it's still handled superbly and you won't mind knowing what'll happen because you're just having so much fun. It's an episode that'll pull you right into the Star Wars universe. The action is energetic and gripping, the voice acting is convincing, and the story is very well paced; it never hits a weak point.

Even though I've already seen the clip of Yoda (yes, it's Frank Oz!) talking to Kanan, the Jedi Master's role still gave me goosebumps. In context, it's such a good feeling hearing Yoda again, offering wisdom and really making someone question what they know and want. This simply feels like Star Wars. I know that's a bit of a silly and pretty vague statement, but if you're a fan and you watch the episode, I'm confident you'll agree. Everything from the narrative to the audio to the environments are familiar and it's amazing. It delivers just the right tone. It's character-driven with bits of horror, a few laughs, and plenty of awe.

No Caption Provided

A nice surprise was the handling of the lightsaber duel. It's important to remember how swift these characters are and that's something this episode does especially well. Their movements are a blur before they momentarily stop because their lightsabers clash against each other. There's a much appreciated extended wide shot, as well as several effective close ups which show just how frenetic the battle is while also giving us a good look at their expressions. Inquisitor's sinister and twisted close-ups were a great touch.

This one's all about getting a good look at Ezra's psyche. He's forced (so not a pun, I swear) to face his fears and, while the themes and twists are certainly obviously, they're not heavy-handed. You may know what'll happen, but it's still presented in a way that'll keep you immensely entertained and wanting to root for the kid. After seeing his display in the last episode, this is an excellent and appropriate way to follow-up. And the final scene? You can't help but get excited thinking about what'll come next. Kanan also receives just a wee bit of insight. It of course isn't nearly as much as Ezra receives, but it's just enough to make us more interested in his history and appreciate the challenge he faces as Ezra's teacher. Meanwhile, we're given a proper reminder of just how frightening and intimidating Inquistior can be. Just like with Kanan's small role, I'm left wanting to see more of the foe, and that's saying a lot considering just how many memorable villains populate the Star Wars universe.

Does this episode have some predictable beats? Yes. Is it a bummer the rest of the crew is still getting pushed aside? Sure. But those criticisms are so small when compared to what this episode does well. It's technically yet another training sequence with plenty of familiar elements but it's handled in such an exciting way and embraces what this universe has to offer. "Path of the Jedi" just oozes nostalgia as it pulls you into its world and gives you the same kind of feeling you had while watching the original trilogy. The twists may not blow your mind, but this adventure will absolutely give you goosebumps and make you smile.

Lurkero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I dunno about 5 stars, but I think Star Wars Rebels is headed for some interesting narrative territory. I hope they don't become too Jedi focused though because I would like to see the other characters contribute.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Ezra's lightsaber looked kinda strange if I'm honest.

Cave_Duck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lurkero said:

I dunno about 5 stars, but I think Star Wars Rebels is headed for some interesting narrative territory. I hope they don't become too Jedi focusedthough because I would like to see the other characters contribute.

Same here, it'd be good to see how the other non-force using characters take centre stage for a while every now and again. (More Mandalorians!!!)

Avatar image for bh6shouldhavehadsilversamurai
BH6ShouldHavehadSilverSamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

This episode could have been awesome, but I feel the short run time held it back. The story just seems to move too fast and Ezra just seems to go from hopeless to completely on top of it in the blink of an eye. I also liked the new design for his sabre ( the one with a hilt that actually looks like a sabre) and I like the direction the show is taking

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@lvenger said:

I think we've yet to see everything it's capable of. It looks like the front can function as a blaster :O

This episode could have been awesome, but I feel the short run time held it back. The story just seems to move too fast and Ezra just seems to go from hopeless to completely on top of it in the blink of an eye. I also liked the new design for his sabre ( the one with a hilt that actually looks like a sabre) and I like the direction the show is taking

There are a few episodes in which the limited runtime was felt for me, but for this, I think they did a satisfying job going through the motions and having Ezra reach an epiphany. But hey, to each their own!

Novafett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't seen this yet, have it DVR'd and will watch tonight, but i appreciate the spoiler free review. More excited to watch now than before!

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@k4tzm4n: That's what I thought it could function as too.

Avatar image for bh6shouldhavehadsilversamurai
BH6ShouldHavehadSilverSamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n: True. It could just be that I'm spoiled by the movies I've re-watched recently. I also havent watched clone wars so it might just be that my brain is adapting to seeing star wars in this format

WarDishy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Okay, the lightsaber design is pretty sweet.

Also @k4tzm4n did you read the novel A New Dawn? It did a pretty good job filling us in on what Kanan's life has been like since Order 66. I assume you'll be the one calling dibs on the Kanan comic out in April?

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 owie  Moderator

@k4tzm4n said:

@lvenger said:

I think we've yet to see everything it's capable of. It looks like the front can function as a blaster :O

I thought the lightsaber looked like a staplegun--so much so that I wonder if it was on purpose, a reference to how many of the original props were repurposed hardware. I was wondering if the front circle was another mini-blade/crossguard, like on the new trailer. I liked it.

I thought it was a pretty solid episode. I liked that the wisdom they both received wasn't watered down and made too simple/kid-oriented. In some ways Kanan's realization (through Yoda) about his fears was even more powerful than what Ezra understood about himself.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 107

I've been enjoying this show so far, and I can't wait for more episodes with Kanan, Ezra, and all the other characters of the Rebels crew. Makes me more excited for the future of the Star Wars saga.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#15  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

@owie said:

@k4tzm4n said:

@lvenger said:

I thought the lightsaber looked like a staplegun--so much so that I wonder if it was on purpose, a reference to how many of the original props were repurposed hardware. I was wondering if the front circle was another mini-blade/crossguard, like on the new trailer. I liked it.

It is a blaster, I saw the toy of it at Target and it shows that it has a blaster function. Personally I think it's a awesome looking lightsaber. Because Jedi never tend to use blasters, as in Obi-Wan's words they were "so uncivilized," I'm excited to see that even though Kanan is one of the last remaining Jedi of the old Order he's not bound by that Order's rules. So seeing Ezra embrace a new way of being a Jedi, similar to how Kanan himself uses a blaster as a side-weapon, is exciting and something I love about this series.

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

After this episode I remember "when gone am I, the last of the Jedi will you be" and wonder what happens to Cane and Ezra given that Yoda knew they existed when he said that.