Would you reccomend Superior Spider-Man to a new reader?

Jphu8414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

Edited By Jphu8414

Poll Would you reccomend Superior Spider-Man to a new reader? (28 votes)

Yes! It's a great read 46%
Nah, I'd tell 'em to skip it 54%

So I have friend who noticed my Superior Spider-Man collection, he's never read a comic book before and he's only scene the movies, but he's still a big fan of Spider-Man. Should attempt to explain to him what's going on and let him read it or just tell him to skip it?

• 
Avatar image for master_of_suprise
MASTER_OF_SUPRISE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

No.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Skip it. Unless he's a doc ock fan.

porthunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Of course! The best part to start if you don't want to read 700 issues is the end of ASM and the beginning of Superior. If you skip the Superior arc you will be lost. It's a good point to start, really, and it gives a new fresh air for Spidey. There are a lot of haters, but Slott did a good job.

Avatar image for deactivated-5da1bf32237f0
deactivated-5da1bf32237f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

No. I'd say your friend should start with J. Michael Straczynski's run or Brand New Day. I have a friend who's never read a Spider-Man comic, but that's because she doesn't really like the character. I recommended Superior Spider-Man to her because she's not a big fan of Peter Parker, and I told her she might enjoy Superior Spider-Man because it goes against a lot of the usual Spider-Man stuff. So, really, I'd only recommend starting with Superior if your friend's not a huge fan of Peter Parker--if he/she is, though, then start with the JMS run or Brand New Day. Of course, you could also recommend Stan Lee's run, but I have a hard time recommending it because it took me a while to appreciate it.

Avatar image for blackhawk000111
blackhawk000111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am a new reader and i start reading spiderman from superior spiderman and i find it enjoyable

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

What?

To a new reader?......someone who wants to know who Peter Parker is,and what is his character?!......

Seriously?.....
This is a story for someone who knows who Peter is,and just wants to read a story where his bad luck hits levels beyond human comprehension...

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

Yep. I have, in fact.

Lateralus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes. start him on ASM 695 and have him read through the entire arc.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Surprised how close the voting is! Not sure why you'd point a new Spiderman reader to Superior....but then I am an old fashioned grumpy middle aged traditionalist who boycotted the whole exercise in disgust, so probably not giving an objective response!

averywetfrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes. start him on ASM 695 and have him read through the entire arc.

if a new reader wants to keep up with the new series do this. then you can always go back

Pizzaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why would you start a new reader on a story arc where the actual spider-man isn't around? Straczynski's run is a good place to start but not Superior.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. There are better written story-arcs to sink your teeth into starting with the masterpiece "Kraven's Last Stand".

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pizzaman said:

Why would you start a new reader on a story arc where the actual spider-man isn't around?

This^

And you people need to get it.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Amazing Spiderman 1 Marvel Now is the place to start off at.

Pizzaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Pizzaman

@pizzaman said:

Why would you start a new reader on a story arc where the actual spider-man isn't around?

This^

That's all that needs to be said. I'm out!!

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

If your friend already knows about Peter and his history, then having him begin at Superior isn't a terrible idea. I personally would get him started in an earlier run so he can understand the controversy behind what Slott did but if he has access to your books and you're willing to let him read them, then why not? It might better prepare him to remain a new comics fan since it appears this type of story-telling isn't going away anytime soon.

Anjales_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By Anjales_II

I suggest let him start at Ock's final story before Superior, which is Ends of the Earth, and let him go from there. That way he becomes familiar with both Peter and Ock before the switch.

I_NEED_A_HORSE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

Absolutely not. I would never recommend that sh!t to anyone.

TheTrollDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker said:

@pizzaman said:

This^

Second that

I cannot stand people who recommend Superior to new readers, and the thing that bothers me the most are people who say that new readers shouldn't read classic stories because they don't really matter anymore. (that is the most common argument people in my country bring up when I tell new readers who want to get into ASM to read some of the older runs and storylines).

VeganDiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah, I'd probably recommend he start with something that's actually good.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a really really really REALLY stupid thing to say.......in any kind of form....

"You are interested in Rock music?....oh!...don't listen to Beatles,or Rolling Stones,or Led Zeppelin,they're old!!...listen to the new stuff!"
"You are interested in movies?.....oh!....don't watch the classics,watch only the stuff that come out now!!.."

See the pattern?

Pizzaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Pizzaman

@punyparker said:

@pizzaman said:

This^

Second that

I cannot stand people who recommend Superior to new readers, and the thing that bothers me the most are people who say that new readers shouldn't read classic stories because they don't really matter anymore. (that is the most common argument people in my country bring up when I tell new readers who want to get into ASM to read some of the older runs and storylines).

Both of you are awesome.

No Caption Provided

Mrgreenlantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait people are in here telling someone Superior is a good starting point to read Spider-Man? I'll just leave it upto the others who have pointed out better places to start if you want "Spider-man" , If you want A more vicious cold take no prisoner attitude to web slining then Superior is STILL THE WRONG PLACE TO LOOK ...I point you in the direction of yea most of you know where im going with this....Scarlet Spider

Curse you all telling these people to read Superior since its not "Spidey" while at the same time ignoring Scarlet Spider tsk tsk tsk tsk FOR SHAME!!!

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have always been a fan of starting from the beginning. I hate the argument that the stories are dated and that they should be skipped, I am sorry but that is a key moment in the development of the character. Good stories will survive the test of time.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By magnetic_eye