Why Toby Maguire should return as Spider-man in the MCU

• 60 results
Enrique90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I would love to see Maguire come back and take the role of Spidey again. Not because I'm a big Toby Maguire fan but because of the opportunities it can create for Spider-man.

A continuation of Sam Raimis' Spider-man will avoid another origin story movie, we don't need to see uncle Ben die again or Peter learning to use his powers. Instead we will get an experienced crime fighter with confidence, we get someone accomplished and ready to join the avengers.

And what we get is something we never get to see. An older peter parker, Toby McGuire is pushing 40 and marvel studios can do plenty with that. In the 10 year gap between Spider-man 3 and this new movie peter could have been fighting street level crime, finished his degree, and even started a family maybe introduce a new born May Parker.

It would be fun to see Spidey talk about the many times he saved new York without the city even knowing it was in danger, he could brag about fighting lizards in the sewers or stopping a black hole created by the spot or something lol

Also would be cool to see him a little teched out, something similar to the superior spider-man.

Thoughts?

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At this point they can reboot without an origin story. Like the hulk film. An older spider-man wouldn't be so bad, just not a fan of Toby's . not sure how i feel about the tech and the family but it is the cinematic universe I guess.

Avatar image for quinnofthestoneage
QuinnoftheStoneAge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They don't really need to do another origin story, nearly everyone knows it already, not really a fan of Toby's though

Enrique90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Enrique90

haha i completely understand why most ppl would not want toby back but he can redeem himself and bring the spider-man role some justice... really ill be happy so long as they dont introduce another origin story and a clumsy 14 year old peter parker. the hulk is a good example of how to revamp a character without starting over i guess, i like mark ruffalo

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

haha i completely understand why most ppl would not want toby back but he can redeem himself and bring the spider-man role some justice... really ill be happy so long as they dont introduce another origin story and a clumsy 14 year old peter parker. the hulk is a good example of how to revamp a character without starting over i guess, i like mark ruffalo

Mark Ruffalo didn't come along until The Avengers.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NO. Tobey Mcguire should never be seen again.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That would be awesome.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@sodamyat said:

NO. Tobey Mcguire should never be seen again.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Nah. I rather they go in a different direction than to try and bring back Tobey.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I'd be fine with it

Tattacus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like that idea and wouldn't have a problem if they went ahead with it. Only thing is, his Spider-Man needs a bit of work.

Avatar image for theheaven_guardian10
TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for symbioticspider-man
SymbioticSpider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I would love this, honestly.

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By kfabz-23

Tobey sucks

KingOfKings1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AG and TM both suck

Batman1130

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Batman1130

I think they should get a new actor. A younger one too. Early twenties probably. A young spiderman is probably the best for the cinematic universe because it gives them more story lines in the future. I also think audiences will prefer the young and comedic peter Parker over an older, more mature one

Enrique90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batman1130:

I gotta disagree with you. Audiences don't want a young spider-man. Of course comic enthusiast would like a young spidey because we know what he's all about and like the relatability, but movie goers want guns, explosions, blood and all that bad-assery. Audiences would respond better to a mature actor, with muscle tone, and tech. Guardians of the galaxy beat ASM2 in the box office and they didn't have half the name recognition but it did have all that action everyone wants. I'm not trying to throw shade on gotg lol I liked the movie and it just proves that spider-man needs to step up his game. and he doesnt have to be 20 years old to be a comedian, he can still be a smart ass at 29 or 39

I would like to see a young spider-man in animated movies. Give Miles an animated movie or even better give spiderman 2099 an animated movie (even though he's not young lol)

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By magnetic_eye

@batman1130 said:

I think they should get a new actor. A younger one too. Early twenties probably. A young spiderman is probably the best for the cinematic universe because it gives them more story lines in the future. I also think audiences will prefer the young and comedic peter Parker over an older, more mature one

IMO, now that Marvel Studios has more creative control over Phony Sony's interpretation of Spider-Man, I agree that they should start with a younger actor. Logan Lerman is my preferred choice. Marvel Studios will totally reboot with a new cast, new director and better screenwriters.

Initially, Marvel Studios will want to bring movie goers the sort of stories they want to rightfully tell with a younger Peter Parker, but eventually Marvel will no doubt bring to screen the older, mature and responsible 28 year Peter Parker / Spider-Man. The notion that Spidey is perpetually stuck in High School is such a fallacy and will eventually wear thin. In due course even Harry Potter had to grow up.

The whole original essence of Spider-Man was about a teenager suddenly imbued with great power and responsibility and over the course of time learning and maturing into adulthood which was how the ASM title had progressed for decades. This was the definitive Peter Parker / Spider-Man: an older, mature, formidable and responsible crime-fighter who effectively used humor. This Spider-Man, IMO would appeal to a much wider cinematic audience than just focusing once again on a younger demographic.

MarvelMan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batman1130:

I gotta disagree with you. Audiences don't want a young spider-man. Of course comic enthusiast would like a young spidey because we know what he's all about and like the relatability, but movie goers want guns, explosions, blood and all that bad-assery. Audiences would respond better to a mature actor, with muscle tone, and tech. Guardians of the galaxy beat ASM2 in the box office and they didn't have half the name recognition but it did have all that action everyone wants. I'm not trying to throw shade on gotg lol I liked the movie and it just proves that spider-man needs to step up his game. and he doesnt have to be 20 years old to be a comedian, he can still be a smart ass at 29 or 39

I would like to see a young spider-man in animated movies. Give Miles an animated movie or even better give spiderman 2099 an animated movie (even though he's not young lol)

but we don't need maguire. not only is he way too old but he's also a terrible actor and a bad peter parker. never emotes right

Batman1130

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@magnetic_eye: I agree. When I said younger, I meant one that is in his twenties. Eventually they should have a late twenties spiderman but I always felt they should avoid a 35+ spiderman

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really don't want a highschool Spider-Man

MarvelMan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batman1130: andrew looked 24 and jake gyllenhaal still looks like he's 28 so they could pass up as a young spiderman.

Batman1130

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marvelman92: I agree. Either one would be a nice fit for the role I think

Darling_Luna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

No thanks

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh...I liked Tobey as Parker/Spidey and all at the time, but they need to cast someone new

AZTERIX_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I loved maguire, but for the sake of variety want someone new. What if they cast a teenager, then let him grow up in more than 3 films. I would love a Harry Potter Spiderman kinda thing. Thats what spideys all about, right? Him growing up and realising responsibility.

MarvelMan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

tobey was terrible. emotionless and wooden

Avatar image for saiyan_earthling
saiyan_earthling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. He's too old, and he didn't do Spider-Man much justice compared to Andy Garfield.

Pizzaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tobey sucked so hard as Spider-Man and Peter Parker.

Avatar image for theheaven_guardian10
TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-59c716930b8a6
deactivated-59c716930b8a6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

That would be awesome.

I'd be fine with it

@tattacus said:

I like that idea and wouldn't have a problem if they went ahead with it. Only thing is, his Spider-Man needs a bit of work.

I would love this, honestly.

All these. I would love for Tobey to come back as Spider-Man. Perhaps not a direct continuation of the old trilogy, but I would be fine with him coming back as Spidey. Him, and J.K Simmons as J Jonah Jameson.

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It would be great to see J.K Simmons as J Jonah Jameson again, but forget about Tobey Maguire. He's done his dash and and it's over. Tobey admitted on live TV that he had never even read a Spider-Man comic book growing up, so in essence he was just acting to a script without any real knowledge of the Peter Parker / Spider-Man character. And it shows in his very lacklustre and wooden performance.

He did not research the role at all which is what actors are meant to do and part of the responsibility to inspire actors also falls upon the Director. Sam Raimi could have passed on a few comic books for Tobey to read but didn't.

ArkhamWrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They can reboot... but it don't must mean that they go to make uncle Ben die again or Peter learning to use his powers. It simply can be explained later in second or third movie... !!! I will go with Will Poulter as Peter/Spider-Man.

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Im sure RDjr would approve

Loading Video...

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tobey who, why not Adam West?
Tobey who, why not Adam West?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

Because Nostalgia.

Leesagirlsname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't much like his portrayal. I would like to note, however, I blame a lot of what went wrong with the movies on Raimi. But at the same time, Toby just wasn't the right fit. He can't quip. How can you be Spiderman if you can't quip? Here's the short answer: ya cain't, boi.

MarvelMan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By MarvelMan92

From a fanboy from Superherohype named Human Torch:

Yeah,I think it's pretty clear Tobey is the Chris Reeve of Spider-Man actors. The first and best remembered when the films were made with a director's vision.

Garfield is the Brandon Routh. Appreciated by many, but still, a dull performance in a film/films no one really asked for.

The new guy will probably be received as Superman's Cavill. He'll look like he stepped straight from the pages and will please people with a more "modern" take on the character.

thoughts?

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

emotionless? Really?

No Caption Provided

Enrique90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Enrique90

Ok let's not blame Tobey for crying and being extra sensitive in the movies. Blame Sam raimi. Tobey is a fine actor and Spider-man kicked off the the comic book movie trend, so those guys were trail blazing

people seem to like the fact that along with Tobey we get J.K. Simmons as JJJ but why stop there.

How about Willem Dafoe as goblin? yeah I know he died but he didn't die to the point of no return lol it would be cool if they introduce Dr. Smythe as a character. They can show him collecting Norman osbourns body because he needed norman to some how save his sick father (I don't think im reaching here, this could work nicely)

in the process he preserved the goblin's stolen body giving it time to heal and return as a villain. He can even look goblinesque, with elongated ears and nose because hes basically a zombie lol he no longer needs that goblin helmet he can just be freaky looking

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

and smythe and the spider slayers could be the antagonist in spideys next movie

theres just so much you can do if we bring back tobey... and kick sam raimi to the curb

@marvelman92

MarvelMan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, there isn't. Tobey will never evolve as a person if we continue to keep raimi. All the villains are dead and there are characters we don't like in the movies so the Webb films have a better chance it they continued.

Enrique90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

im saying bring back the raimi universe and leave raimi behind. and im all for an amazing spiderman 3,even though it would never happen i dont think theres anything wrong with finishing the mark web movies and doing something different in the MCU at the same time. comic fans can handle following 2 different spider-verses lol

i understand your argument of a fresh start for spidey but its too late and too confusing... my gf still thinks the webb movies are sequels to the raimi movies. spidey can be redone right in 2025 when they are done with the movies in this storyline

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezza said:

@marvelman92 said:

emotionless? Really?

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Telenovela Acting YAY!!!

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for mitchellronald13
mitchellronald13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree completely let's be honest everything you said was right this allows the marvel universe to continue the story of tobeys spiderman a mean come on its spot on if it did happen coz tobey already has a story and now that he is older which is even better coz in the civil war comics he is an older character and that's what he can be just like the story and a can imagine people would love to see Jonah j Jamesons reaction to the unmask and this can allow tobey continue to do spiderman 4 5 6 maybe ? And can face new villains like the original Electro mysterio hobgoblin vulture and carnage but a don't see it happening

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

but civil war sucked as a group of books why the push on that story arc when it was so bad. Spiderman would never reveal whom he is and endanger his friends. He would is not the kind to just whoop off the mask and sit in the lime light.

One character very badly done in civil war as were allot of them.

modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

amazingfantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Please, no. Never. Don't even joke with that, man!

ComicBatReader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They should add Tobey back in a Spider-Girl movie as the father, Peter Parker. That'd be a good posture for Tobey Maigure to stand in for a while when a new Spider-Girl could be on the way, I thought of that when I saw one of the recent Spider-Girl news. That's just my thought...