why I hope peter DOESN'T return and SUPERIOR stays!

• 62 results
RonSiconolfi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

what is this Blaspemly you say? heres my reasons why:

1. ock actually is a BETTER spider-man (nice to see spidey kick butt and take names)

2. the gadgets and high tech gear are alot of fun

3. peter parker holding his head up high instead of down low

4. its different! amazing spidey its the same old, same old, same old stuff- superior is a new refereshing take on spidey leading to new material

5. an UPDATED costume that works...finally!

the only thing i miss is peters wise cracking- its still funny though to see otto talking through pete using his intellectual dialogue - thats comical

but in comics nothing is rarely ever final- so though i prefer otto(eventhough i was %100 against it a first) i like every1 else knows pete will come back- i jsut happen to enjoy superior and don't wanna see it go so soon

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 137

#2  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

3 doesn't really work. how can Peter Parker hold his head high if its not even Peter Parker?

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By PunyParker

But he will.Superior is selling well though,so you may get a spin off book or something.

3 doesn't really work. how can Peter Parker hold his head high if its not even Peter Parker?

Point

RonSiconolfi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

thats true- i mean not peter but peters body- otto is confident and cocky which hence makes peter look confident as well...yes i know though its not really peter

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'd rather read a Superior Spiderman spinoff than more Peter Parker tbh.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By JonSmith

1. No, Ock is not a better Spider-Man. Spider-Man is more than a name, a costume, or emblem, or powers. It's a set of ideals WITHIN that costume. Those ideals are what the costume stands for, what they represent, what people expect upon seeing it. Has Ock gotten stuff done in his brief tenure using the name Spider-Man? Sure. Has he used tech to overcome some of Peter's shortcomings? Definitely. Is he a better Spider-Man? Not a chance in hell.

2. Agreed, I'm hoping Pete realizes what he can do with a more liberal use of tech when he comes back.

3. Already been taken care of above.

4. A character getting repetitive is not a failure of the character, it's a failure of the writers.

5. Agreed. The Alex Ross design is awesome.

sentryman555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay I like Superior Spider-man but from a hero stand point, as crazy as this sounds, I think people are forgetting who Doc Ock really is. As much as I like Superior Spider-man it's a horrible message to send out if Doc Ock got to stay spidey indefinitely. It would mean after Peter's long career as Spider-man he loses to one of his arch-villains at the end and is killed off forever. It also means a villain would actually win with no bad ramifications to them. This is not Spidey with a new attitude this is a villain getting away with killing Peter.

Avatar image for master_of_suprise
MASTER_OF_SUPRISE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

1. ock actually is a BETTER spider-man (nice to see spidey kick butt and take names)

4. its different! amazing spidey its the same old, same old, same old stuff- superior is a new refereshing take on spidey leading to new material

the only thing i miss is peters wise cracking- its still funny though to see otto talking through pete using his intellectual dialogue - thats comical

but in comics nothing is rarely ever final- so though i prefer otto(eventhough i was %100 against it a first) i like every1 else knows pete will come back- i jsut happen to enjoy superior and don't wanna see it go so soon

1.No he wasn't. I'm sorry but IMO Spider-OCK was really no different from the villains he fights. Otto was a lot of things but a hero isn't one of them.

2. There's no reason to say Peter couldn't have made those gadgets if he were still there. Keep in mind when he first started out as Spider-Man he didn't have half the amount of resources Otto was given.

3. While I do agree Peter should be a bit more confident. Doc Ocks arrogance is one of the reasons I hated the book and gave up.

4. Not really It's been done before.

5. The costume is kind of cool but I like the classic one better. I honestly find extra Legs kind of stupid ever since they were on the Iron-Spider costume.

Jphu8414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By Jphu8414

I actually agree with all of your points

But....

Superior was a good run but its not something that can last forever, Peter needed to come back. If Superior lasted more more than say 40 issues it would have started dragging, end it before this happens and while its still good

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By PunyParker

And just to clarify.

1. You are probably young and don't know Spider-Man as a badass.I get it.
  2. Everyone ignore the fact that Parker made all sorts of gadget-sh!t when he was in Horizon-thus having the resourses he can do it too.
  3. Ock is on Peter's body.This isn't Peter.There is a mini-series back from 2003 starring Doc Ock.Read this.
  4. It's different now.They run out of the "shock value" and the character becomes plain irrational and dislikable.
  5. Many updated costumes have worked,but everyone tend to go back to the original,cause it's the BEST.
tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

......... Go back to reading a DC book ignorance is not allowed.

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ock can be his own hero, but goddammit get him out of Parker's body.

RonSiconolfi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ronsiconolfi said:

1.No he wasn't. I'm sorry but IMO Spider-OCK was really no different from the villains he fights. Otto was a lot of things but a hero isn't one of them.

2. There's no reason to say Peter couldn't have made those gadgets if he were still there. Keep in mind when he first started out as Spider-Man he didn't have half the amount of resources Otto was given.

3. While I do agree Peter should be a bit more confident. Doc Ocks arrogance is one of the reasons I hated the book and gave up.

4. Not really It's been done before.

5. The costume is kind of cool but I like the classic one better. I honestly find extra Legs kind of stupid ever since they were on the Iron-Spider costume.

well he started out as spidey in the 60's -so hes had plenty of time to create tech to help him- otto used his resources from horizon labs that peter could have use all this time but never thought to. peter is jsut as intelligent as otto but when it comes to fighting peter uses just his first while otto uses strategy and tech and fists.

Edward_Kenway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

News flash. Parkers coming back

comedy_brosUSA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

seriously. u care about a psychotic killer and not Peter? at least Peter did good stuff with his life without having to take someone's to prove it( don't bring up Uncle ben, god don't bring him up) the high tech gear is cool, but I think peter could create it if he really wanted to. who knows, when he comes back, maybe he will. most likely he will want to leave Otto's experiences behind. and btw, otto almost killed a driving texter!!!!!!! propaganda at it's finest Mr.Slott. and he also pretty much advertises like pop culture stuff too. so liking Superior just doesn't make sense

Edward_Kenway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ronsiconolfi said:

seriously. u care about a psychotic killer and not Peter? at least Peter did good stuff with his life without having to take someone's to prove it( don't bring up Uncle ben, god don't bring him up) the high tech gear is cool, but I think peter could create it if he really wanted to. who knows, when he comes back, maybe he will. most likely he will want to leave Otto's experiences behind. and btw, otto almost killed a driving texter!!!!!!! propaganda at it's finest Mr.Slott. and he also pretty much advertises like pop culture stuff too. so liking Superior just doesn't make sense

True dat

MASTER_OF_SUPRISE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ronsiconolfi: Except he didn't always have Horizon labs as a resource. He only got the job recently. Otto was basically given a lot more resources to start out with. Especially if you take in his hidden bank account which Peter didn't have. That tech is expensive. It's not like ordering a meal from McDonalds. Plus Peter has used strategy before.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By kidchipotle

The whole point of this series is to prove Ock is NOT a better Spider-Man than Peter.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#19  Edited By GraniteSoldier
  1. Well, the most glaring point is #1, so I'll deal with that one. Ock is not a better hero. Ock is a better deterrent, and more efficient, but his actions are illegal (yes I'm aware vigilantism is illegal). The only reason they work, is because there is no one to stop him and people don't really want to. Ock takes advantage of the trust the people of NYC had in Spider-Man, to get away with heinous acts which people have been writing off as "Spidey is going through some tough times". Ock also has the benefit of having worked with most of the villains he has taken down, innately knowing things about them Peter never did. If you think Ock is a better Spider-Man, you must think it is perfectly acceptable to brutally beat a jaywalker within an inch of his life because, damn it, they won't do that again!
  2. I would love to see Peter flex his mental muscles more, and if you read from Spider-Island on, you see that he was! But the thing about Peter he's always been a bit of a "starving genius" (borrowing from the starving artist saying). He doesn't have a hidden bank account of stolen money like Ock. So, again, he's using funds of villainy to fund acts of "heroism". That essentially boils to "the ends justify the means", which if you've followed Ock villain career to now you know isn't true. Part of Peter's charm has also been someone on par with Reed Richards but putting others before himself. You know, like a hero does.
  3. Peter actually always holds his head high. A man who doesn't could not overcome the death, loss, and tragedy he has. He is very hard on himself, and blames himself for everything, but it pushes him to be a better hero. He tries even harder. You'd be surprised how many soldiers hold their head high in combat, then hold it in their hands when bullets stop flying and trumpets fade.
  4. I have liked Superior, I will admit that. But I like it because it frustrates me. Ock is the wolf in sheep's clothing, who honestly has himself convinced he's a sheep! Now I love Peter and his journey, but to an extent you are correct. 50+ years of the same character the stories can get repetitive at times. Ignoring Brand New Day and One More Day, however, we have been treated to some good stories such as Ends of the Earth, Big Time, and Spider Island that also changed the status quo of Peter Parker.
  5. That works? The old one worked just fine. In fact, it's iconic. As iconic as Batman's or Superman's. Unless you think they need costume changes too. I agree it is nice to see something new at times, but there's a reason he didn't stick with the Future Foundation suit or his stealth suit (besides Kaine taking it): it is a symbol to the people of NYC and the world over.

Now I am not saying these points to say yours are wrong, you're entitled to your own. I have found humor and enjoyment in Superior. And truthfully, I wish it would continue on. I don't like how everyone has jobbed to him hardcore to make him look good, but that is topic for another conversation. Your perspective on Ock and how he goes about things are your own, I'm simply rebutting with my own.

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. ock actually is a BETTER spider-man

Edward Norton closing laptop

Pack it up folks, this kid doesn't know what spider-man is.

Avatar image for christianrapper
christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ronsiconolfi: peter did hold his head up high in the later comics. he was married to a super model and had all those new powers. that was the reason they retconned him. the editor didn't want a married parker. i also think that he thought peter was better when he had to figure things out or some crap like that.

Mrgreenlantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Quick someone post the paste pot pete image of spidey laughin at him, proves once and for all who the superior spiderman is

where ock would brutally beat him senseless spidey just laughs in his face =p

angelalfonso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frogdog said:

@ronsiconolfi said:

you took the words out of my mouth

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frogdog said:

@ronsiconolfi said:

you took the words out of my mouth

Agreed

angelalfonso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By angelalfonso

Quick someone post the paste pot pete image of spidey laughin at him, proves once and for all who the superior spiderman is

i don't have a pic of Peter laughing, but i have a Nelson one

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for youmessinwithme
youmessinwithme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

peters confidence and arrogance and light heartedness fits the spider-man series better imo. also it is very debatable that ock is a better Spider-man, they both have flaws and gains.

westy206

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I like superior better at the moment. It came at a good time and could probably go for at least another two years and then in decades to come it won't just be that blip of peters past it'll still be a talking point.

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It will remain a talking point...a stain on the underwear of Spider-man.

Experio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

MASTER_OF_SUPRISE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is that a reference or Paraphrase? Cause it sounds familiar.

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spider11211 said:

Is that a reference or Paraphrase? Cause it sounds familiar.

It is a take on a statement but I cannot remember the original source material.

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Phaedrusgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33  Edited By Phaedrusgr
Mrgreenlantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frogdog: Soon! I'ts so close I can taste the paste

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Since Miguel O'Hara is no longer in the year 2099 and is staying in the present under the name Michael O'Mara, I would love for him to take up the mantle of Superior Spider-Man once Peter gains back control of his body. He's also supposed to be in one of the last issues of Superior Spider-Man if I'm remembering things right. I could imagine Peter talking to Miguel and saying, "I've got to admit, Dock Ock had some great ideas, he just went about them the wrong way. You can't argue with his results. I've got a lot of work to do rebuilding my friendly neighborhood Spider-Man reputation back up, but if there's anyone I could trust to utilize some of Ock's less questionable methods of vigilantism while showing the restraint and resolve of a true hero, it's you Miguel." That would be awesome!

But yeah, I've been loving Superior. Wish it and Amazing could coexist somehow.

MASTER_OF_SUPRISE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7: Except Peter Can't remember Miguel since he lost his memory.

angelalfonso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tigerkaya:

Yea… sadly he doesn’t remember Miguel…

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frogdog said:

@ronsiconolfi said:

@experio said:
@ronsiconolfi said:

@ronsiconolfi what the dudes said.

Just a little reminder.

1. Secret Wars #3 = He beat up the X-Men.Everyone.With ease.
  2. Amazing Spider-man Annual 3 = He beat up the Avengers.With ease.In Avengers Tower.
  3. Amazing SPider-Man #269-270 = He beat up Firelord.Let me try this again.FIRELORD!!...A Galaxy Villian!!....he beat him up,and the avengers just stood and watched!!...

Slide show.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7: Except Peter Can't remember Miguel since he lost his memory.

@tigerkaya:

Yea… sadly he doesn’t remember Miguel…

Don't you think once Peter's soul/ghost thingy takes back over, he'll regain all the memories Ock erased? That ghost thing seems to have retained all of the memories.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7 said:

Don't you think once Peter's soul/ghost thingy takes back over, he'll regain all the memories Ock erased? That ghost thing seems to have retained all of the memories.

They want Peter back to basics,so no.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7 said:

Really? Do you have a source or something like an interview?

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By PunyParker

@jaken7 said:

@punyparker said:

@jaken7 said:

No no no,it's a prediction...my thing.
I just guess the whole idea was to reboot Spider-Man once again.....no job,no Avengers spot,nobody trusts him etc......back to ,freaking,basics.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7 said:

@punyparker said:

@jaken7 said:

I just guess the whole idea was to reboot Spider-Man once again.....no job,no Avengers spot,nobody trusts him etc......back to ,freaking,basics.

Hmm... I guess it does seem to be playing out that way. So basically how he was pre-2004? Before New Avengers? Is he going to be freelancing for the Bugle again? I don't think I like this. Way too much retreading. I loved Superior so much because it was a really fresh take and a mostly new, original story. I would hate to have Peter back to being somewhat whiny and self-deprecating because life sucks. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's always logical reasons to support a change but we need peter back. It doesn't feel right any other way. I actually thought superior was cool at first but only for a short time. It has lasted way to long. Peter Parker is spiderman and it will be good to have him back

Webhead_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Webhead_99

@jayc1324 said:

There's always logical reasons to support a change but we need peter back. It doesn't feel right any other way. I actually thought superior was cool at first but only for a short time. It has lasted way to long. Peter Parker is spiderman and it will be good to have him back

Not exactly a solace but having Peter back after a year of Ocknanigans will be fresh in my eyes. For a time at least...

(Yeah I made a terrible pun right there. Sue me)

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7 said:

@punyparker said:

@jaken7 said:

@punyparker said:

@jaken7 said:

Hmm... I guess it does seem to be playing out that way. So basically how he was pre-2004? Before New Avengers? Is he going to be freelancing for the Bugle again? I don't think I like this. Way too much retreading. I loved Superior so much because it was a really fresh take and a mostly new, original story. I would hate to have Peter back to being somewhat whiny and self-deprecating because life sucks. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

They got that shock tactics get people to buy the book.A shock tactic to a Spider-Man book that sells ,in it's worst day,very good,is a guaranteed success.....so i doubt it will be the whinny Peter.....but they tend to go back to the first 38 issues of Amazing Spider-Man all the time,so........let's just say we hope this will be different......
Just think with how much mess he has to deal with when he comes back......we already know that Ock lost from the Goblin and it will require Peter to save NYC in SSM #31.....and Ock made a mess of his life,you can't deny that....

AdwePL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By AdwePL

Come on! I respect everyone opinion and I liked superior but Peter is MY and most of people spidey! He is the icon of subculture not only Spider-Man.
I cant wait till Peter comes back! And for those who say that ASM was boring and SSM is always suprising etc. Yeah, you are right! But this was the point of superior to make Amazing spider-man interesting again when it comes back. I believe Dan will do really fresh run with new Amazing Spider-Man and I cant wait to see it :)

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adwepl said:

Come on! I respect everyone opinion and I liked superior but Peter is MY and most of people spidey! He is the icon of subculture not only Spider-Man.

I cant wait till Peter comes back! And for those who say that ASM was boring and SSM is always suprising etc. Yeah, you are right! But this was the point of superior to make Amazing spider-man interesting again when it comes back. I believe Dan will do really fresh run with new Amazing Spider-Man and I cant wait to see it :)

If you call mind wiping new just so Slott can write his take on a modern Spider and his personal problems. You are sorely to be disappointed.