Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#201  Edited By Ninjablade09

@nicksmi56 said:
@ninjablade09 said:

@punyparker: The only thing I can add to your argument is that Captain Stacy didn't inspire him to become a hero. That's a common misconstruction that people have because they don't pay attention to the movie, and the things people say.

See what really happened is Captain Stacy made Peter realize that he isn't being a hero he thinks he is, and he isn't understanding what Uncle Ben said.

He believed that if you could do good things for other people you had a moral obligation to do those things.That's what's at stake here,not choice, responsibility.

Peter took this as it was his responsibility to avenge Uncle Ben, it's his responsibility to make up for what he did. He thought by doing this he was protecting people, and making everything safe. This why he was confused when Stacy said he is assaulting people.

He's hunting down a bunch of criminals that all look the same, like he's got some sort of personal vendetta. But he's not protecting innocent people, Mr. Parker.

This is my favorite line in the movie because its what makes him realize that he is think of it all wrong. That's why he goes to the bridge, to prove he is a hero that is protecting people. Now my favorite scene follows when he reunites the little boy with his father. This is the moment when he becomes Spider-Man, he now understands that he has to protect people. The father and son are a symbol to Peter because he has been able to help continue a father son relationship, that he not only lost with his own father, but Uncle Ben as well.

You and I see that scene WAAAYYY differently. Peter isn't trying to be a hero when he goes to catch the killer. He just wants to catch the killer. Though that was kind of obvious, especially since he doesn't even bother to bring a number of the people he catches to the police but rather just leaves them at large. You can pick them out if you rewatch the scenes. So no, it's not out of some misguided sense of heroism. It's petty revenge. The dude killed his uncle and he wants to make him pay. That's it. As for the Stacy scene, he's making excuses. It's like when your parents catch you doing something wrong and you go "But...." and make up some excuse. That's exactly what's happening here. He's not confused that Stacy thinks he's assaulting people. He KNOWS he's assaulting people, but he doesn't want to admit he's wrong. That's why he's so adamant about being right. Like your pal PunyParker said, he's a kid. Stacy chews him out and he starts thinking about how he should stop thinking about only himself and start thinking of others. Then he chooses to save the kid over stopping Lizard in the bridge scene, one of the few scenes I like wholeheartedly. But the fact that Stacy's speech is the one that makes him choose to save people while Ben's death just made him go on a rampage means that it is in fact Stacy that convinces him to be a hero. And that's all wrong.

I agree in some areas and others I don't.

Peter isn't trying to be a hero when he goes to catch the killer. He just wants to catch the killer. Though that was kind of obvious, especially since he doesn't even bother to bring a number of the people he catches to the police but rather just leaves them at large. You can pick them out if you re-watch the scenes. So no, it's not out of some misguided sense of heroism. It's petty revenge.

You are completely right with most of this, it's not him trying to be hero, it's him wanting revenge.

That's it. As for the Stacy scene, he's making excuses. It's like when your parents catch you doing something wrong and you go "But...." and make up some excuse. That's exactly what's happening here. He's not confused that Stacy thinks he's assaulting people. He KNOWS he's assaulting people, but he doesn't want to admit he's wrong. That's why he's so adamant about being right.

Edit: My original argument was different. I went back to re-watch the scene, and realized the conversation is strictly on the car thief scene. So I still stand by him being confused and not thinking of it as assaulting people, I sure wouldn't not sure if you would. Now in both heads they think they're right. But in reality we know Peter is wrong so we have to side with Stacy on the argument. So I guess, me and you look at it from Peter's side differently, which is okay, as we all do. To me, I look at it as Peter thinks he is doing the right thing by taking him down.

Then he chooses to save the kid over stopping Lizard in the bridge scene, one of the few scenes I like wholeheartedly. But the fact that Stacy's speech is the one that makes him choose to save people while Ben's death just made him go on a rampage means that it is in fact Stacy that convinces him to be a hero. And that's all wrong.

I look at that as the saving as what inspires him to be a hero. He didn't have to save the kid, he was leaving the rest of them dangling. Though I do agree, the bridge scene is one of the best in the movie.

I do agree wholeheartedly with you on the subject of responsibility and and Gwen's death. They should have had Captain Stacy tell him the protect Gwen.

Anyway, if you would like to continue this discussion, feel free PM me, I would be interested to hear your thoughts on the rest of the movie(as long as we can keep it civil) I don't want to derail this tread.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

What do you think we do all day? Sit around eating donuts with are thumbs planted firmly up our asses.

It would have been cool for Peter to say something like

Apparently it seems that way since my the guy who killed my Uncle is still on the loose.

Would be weak by from Peter's side.

But still, the line about vendettas is easily one of my favorite lines from the Spider-Man franchise.

Well,concidered that the other 2 have had mediocre writing. (I'll get bashed for that,but it is true.)

And SM:3 had horendous writing,but we don't put it in the mix,anyway.

I both agree and disagree with you. I disagree with the notion that the character of Peter Parker is all about screwing up and paying the price. Oh he pays the price alright. A heck of a lot of prices too. That I agree with. But we aren't supposed to feel he deserves it all the time. Most of the time, it's just that dang Parker Luck. Jameson beating on him, his not catching a break, him being poor, etc. It's all Parker Luck (something that I didn't really see in the newest film. I think the closest they got was the scene with the flowers get messed up in his bookbag.) If he got everything that came to him because he deserved it, he would be the world's most successful serial killer to heap that much bad karma. Not that he never screws up, but he always learns from it and comes out a better person for it. Plus Peter Parker is a ridiculously nice guy. He's one of the most moral superheroes ever. It's pretty much his defining characteristic. He's the guy that takes a kid swinging around just because they dropped their ice cream. He's the guy who takes time out of his frankly miserable at the time life to visit a cancer patient. He's the guy that goes and saves a guy he hates just because it's the right thing to do. Garfield wasn't that. In truth, I really wanted to punch him in the face for most of the film, especially when it came to Aunt May (ugh, let's not get into how misused she was). I can honestly say I've never disliked a Peter Parker more. He just seemed like a total douche who didn't care about anyone except for when the plot required him to be nice.

As for him learning in the sequel, too late. Honestly. First off, it's not the sequel's job to teach him to be a hero. It's pretty much a fact at this point that after Uncle Ben dies and he catches the killer, Peter takes a hard look at himself and starts trying to help people. Heck, in the Ultimate universe, he went out to fight crime and save people directly after he caught the killer, on the same night in fact! Uncle Ben is the catalyst for him becoming a hero and learning about responsibility. Plain and simple. Also, the sequel doesn't seem to be focusing on that at all. By the time we re-enter Peter's life, he's already a hero, as evidenced by the trailers. Anyway, the one overriding thing that they CAN NOT change that they did is that he learns to be a better person from Uncle Ben. That's the entire point of his death! What's more is it really reinforces the loving relationship they had, and the guilt he feels over how he acted. We didn't get that here. Peter doesn't seem to realize Ben's death was his fault. We never get that crucial moment where he reflects and realizes that if he had just thought of someone other than himself, Ben would be alive. Not that I need him to turn and say it to the camera, but give me something. A flashback or whatever, SOMETHING! Unless you want to make the case that he realizes his uncle died because he was selfish and then.....decides to be selfish again? In that case, he's even worse than I thought.

Someone watching the film with no prior knowledge wouldn't get the reason why he becomes a hero. Heck, I don't even get it.

1. I dissagree with the absense of Parker luck,you mention.Parker luck isn't plain screwing up.Parker luck is doing something good,and no matter what this "good" will somehow turn up on you.He created the Lizard formula.A formula big scientists couldn't come up with.And it backfired,with the Lizard.Saved the city,lost the father of his girlfriend.These are major Parker luck examples.
  2. Parker IS a nice guy indeed.....but dude,i am certain you have read Ultimate Spider-Man.Peter is a kid there....an irresponsible kid,at the beggining.They made the films based on that.He will learn further.He's still a kid.The more realistic version of Spider-Man.When you are 16(i don't know how are you) and you get superpowers,you presumably, act like a total douchebag,and you know you act like a total douchebag,until your fvcking father figure is getting killed,and a guy YOU created nearly destroys the city....then you may be act a tad more responsible.You know what i'm trying to say!?
  3. I can't argue with you on the second paragraph,because it's valid......but they will have a flashback and a guilt trip as seen from the trailers and the casting which includes Martin Sheen who portrayed Uncle Ben.......don't forget a big detail.....the movie was horribly written.

Back to @punyparker:

Like I said, I don't get why Peter becomes a hero. Why does he give a crap what Stacy says in the first place? He certainly didn't give a crap when Gwen begged him not to get her in trouble in OsCorp. He just went off and snuck around anyway with no thought of how she might lose her job. Same with Aunt May when he was supposed to pick her up. He just ignored Ben's call cause he couldn't be bothered to put off the experiment for a day so he could pick up his elderly aunt instead of making her walk like 20 blocks in the middle of the night on her own. And that's just two instances of him not caring about other people. So we have a character that couldn't care less about the people that like him, but gives so much importance to someone that hates him, when a family member just died and he's even MORE likely to brush people off? What? It just rings false.

On to the whole Gwen dying thing somehow justifying the first film, no. First off, Gwen's death in the comics was a tragic affair because Peter was NOT the cause of it. To him, the Goblin was out of his life and didn't remember his identity. So he was in the clear. Plus he knew Gwen for quite a while and he had fallen in love with her. Why not be together? Here, this is a girl he doesn't know and certainly doesn't love. They're physically attracted to each other but that's it. They never actually TALK to each other besides awkward mumbling when they're not together and when they do get together, all they talk about is Spider-Man. They don't know what the other person likes, dislikes, their dreams and ambitions, what the other's favorite activity is, nothing. All because the film would rather have them make doe eyes at each other than actually talk and build a relationship like real people. Admittedly, this is a problem for most film romances, but it still counts here. By the end of the film, all Peter knows about Gwen is her dad is dead, she works at OsCorp, she's smart and she's hot. All Gwen knows is Peter has an uncle who's dead, he's smart, he's Spider-Man, and he looks like Andrew Garfield. Sorry, but if you don't know the other person, that's not love. That's lust. You may make the argument that he thinks he's in love, which is fine. After all, he's a teenager.....except for the fact that a TEENAGE Peter Parker made this exact choice in the comics (Betty Brant) and made the EXACT OPPOSITE choice than Garfield. Because that choice is hideously out of character for Peter Parker, plain and simple.

So is the death still tragic? Not for me, because it's Peter's fault. Seriously, they had Captain Stacy literally TELL HIM TO HIS FACE that she would die if he didn't give her up ("People you love are going to get hurt. Leave Gwen out of it."), but apparently sex > everything in Peter's eyes. Even if he was really in love with her (which he's not), you'd think someone as supposedly smart as him would say "Hmmm the first time I was selfish, someone I cared about died. Then someone else I cared about died because of another time I was selfish. Maybe I shouldn't be selfish this time so Gwen can live." Why does Peter need THREE people to DIE before he learns to not be selfish? Ugh.

Even thematically, the choice is just wrong. We have the entire film be about him learning that he is not the only one that matters and that he should do the right thing and when the moment finally comes to prove to the audience that he has learned he......turns around and starts doing the exact same crap he would've done if none of this had happened? UGH.

I can go on but I think I made my point. The sequel looks better and much more in character (save the fact that he's still with Gwen and apparently not feeling any guilt about it), but this film really made me wary of the franchise as a whole. Definitely waiting for reviews before I even think of spending money on it. But even if it's the best Spidey film ever (which I desperately hope it will be), it can't save this turd.

The ignoring Gwen,the conversations with Gwen,the death EVERYTHING you mention.........Bad.Writing.
Seriously,the movie is horendously written......the biggest gripe,and the fact that probably ruined the movie for some amount of people.
I like the movie,but i can't LIKE like it.....Avengers-like it.....Dark Knight-like it.
Some parts felt off,some parts were left out for no reason.....terrible writing.....this isn't Garfield's or Webb's fault.....this is Vanderbild's(or however this fvcker is called) fault.
That's why i have my hopes high for the sequel......the writers have done good work(in other films).And it seems well written so far.

I like you.You're a good conversationalist.You've earned a follow.

Anyway, if you would like to continue this discussion, please PM me, I would love to hear your thoughts on the rest of the movie(as long as we can keep it civil) I don't want to derail this tread.

You're not compeletelly off topic,you know.....

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#203  Edited By Ninjablade09

@punyparker: I asked what he thought about the rest of the movie, so it would be a little off topic.

Avatar image for deactivated-5967bf6197d40
deactivated-5967bf6197d40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@ninjablade09 said:

What do you think we do all day? Sit around eating donuts with are thumbs planted firmly up our asses.

It would have been cool for Peter to say something like

Apparently it seems that way since my the guy who killed my Uncle is still on the loose.

Would be weak by from Peter's side.

@ninjablade09 said:

But still, the line about vendettas is easily one of my favorite lines from the Spider-Man franchise.

Well,concidered that the other 2 have had mediocre writing. (I'll get bashed for that,but it is true.)

And SM:3 had horendous writing,but we don't put it in the mix,anyway.

@nicksmi56 said:

I both agree and disagree with you. I disagree with the notion that the character of Peter Parker is all about screwing up and paying the price. Oh he pays the price alright. A heck of a lot of prices too. That I agree with. But we aren't supposed to feel he deserves it all the time. Most of the time, it's just that dang Parker Luck. Jameson beating on him, his not catching a break, him being poor, etc. It's all Parker Luck (something that I didn't really see in the newest film. I think the closest they got was the scene with the flowers get messed up in his bookbag.) If he got everything that came to him because he deserved it, he would be the world's most successful serial killer to heap that much bad karma. Not that he never screws up, but he always learns from it and comes out a better person for it. Plus Peter Parker is a ridiculously nice guy. He's one of the most moral superheroes ever. It's pretty much his defining characteristic. He's the guy that takes a kid swinging around just because they dropped their ice cream. He's the guy who takes time out of his frankly miserable at the time life to visit a cancer patient. He's the guy that goes and saves a guy he hates just because it's the right thing to do. Garfield wasn't that. In truth, I really wanted to punch him in the face for most of the film, especially when it came to Aunt May (ugh, let's not get into how misused she was). I can honestly say I've never disliked a Peter Parker more. He just seemed like a total douche who didn't care about anyone except for when the plot required him to be nice.

As for him learning in the sequel, too late. Honestly. First off, it's not the sequel's job to teach him to be a hero. It's pretty much a fact at this point that after Uncle Ben dies and he catches the killer, Peter takes a hard look at himself and starts trying to help people. Heck, in the Ultimate universe, he went out to fight crime and save people directly after he caught the killer, on the same night in fact! Uncle Ben is the catalyst for him becoming a hero and learning about responsibility. Plain and simple. Also, the sequel doesn't seem to be focusing on that at all. By the time we re-enter Peter's life, he's already a hero, as evidenced by the trailers. Anyway, the one overriding thing that they CAN NOT change that they did is that he learns to be a better person from Uncle Ben. That's the entire point of his death! What's more is it really reinforces the loving relationship they had, and the guilt he feels over how he acted. We didn't get that here. Peter doesn't seem to realize Ben's death was his fault. We never get that crucial moment where he reflects and realizes that if he had just thought of someone other than himself, Ben would be alive. Not that I need him to turn and say it to the camera, but give me something. A flashback or whatever, SOMETHING! Unless you want to make the case that he realizes his uncle died because he was selfish and then.....decides to be selfish again? In that case, he's even worse than I thought.

Someone watching the film with no prior knowledge wouldn't get the reason why he becomes a hero. Heck, I don't even get it.

1. I dissagree with the absense of Parker luck,you mention.Parker luck isn't plain screwing up.Parker luck is doing something good,and no matter what this "good" will somehow turn up on you.He created the Lizard formula.A formula big scientists couldn't come up with.And it backfired,with the Lizard.Saved the city,lost the father of his girlfriend.These are major Parker luck examples.
  2. Parker IS a nice guy indeed.....but dude,i am certain you have read Ultimate Spider-Man.Peter is a kid there....an irresponsible kid,at the beggining.They made the films based on that.He will learn further.He's still a kid.The more realistic version of Spider-Man.When you are 16(i don't know how are you) and you get superpowers,you presumably, act like a total douchebag,and you know you act like a total douchebag,until your fvcking father figure is getting killed,and a guy YOU created nearly destroys the city....then you may be act a tad more responsible.You know what i'm trying to say!?
  3. I can't argue with you on the second paragraph,because it's valid......but they will have a flashback and a guilt trip as seen from the trailers and the casting which includes Martin Sheen who portrayed Uncle Ben.......don't forget a big detail.....the movie was horribly written.
@nicksmi56 said:

Back to @punyparker:

Like I said, I don't get why Peter becomes a hero. Why does he give a crap what Stacy says in the first place? He certainly didn't give a crap when Gwen begged him not to get her in trouble in OsCorp. He just went off and snuck around anyway with no thought of how she might lose her job. Same with Aunt May when he was supposed to pick her up. He just ignored Ben's call cause he couldn't be bothered to put off the experiment for a day so he could pick up his elderly aunt instead of making her walk like 20 blocks in the middle of the night on her own. And that's just two instances of him not caring about other people. So we have a character that couldn't care less about the people that like him, but gives so much importance to someone that hates him, when a family member just died and he's even MORE likely to brush people off? What? It just rings false.

On to the whole Gwen dying thing somehow justifying the first film, no. First off, Gwen's death in the comics was a tragic affair because Peter was NOT the cause of it. To him, the Goblin was out of his life and didn't remember his identity. So he was in the clear. Plus he knew Gwen for quite a while and he had fallen in love with her. Why not be together? Here, this is a girl he doesn't know and certainly doesn't love. They're physically attracted to each other but that's it. They never actually TALK to each other besides awkward mumbling when they're not together and when they do get together, all they talk about is Spider-Man. They don't know what the other person likes, dislikes, their dreams and ambitions, what the other's favorite activity is, nothing. All because the film would rather have them make doe eyes at each other than actually talk and build a relationship like real people. Admittedly, this is a problem for most film romances, but it still counts here. By the end of the film, all Peter knows about Gwen is her dad is dead, she works at OsCorp, she's smart and she's hot. All Gwen knows is Peter has an uncle who's dead, he's smart, he's Spider-Man, and he looks like Andrew Garfield. Sorry, but if you don't know the other person, that's not love. That's lust. You may make the argument that he thinks he's in love, which is fine. After all, he's a teenager.....except for the fact that a TEENAGE Peter Parker made this exact choice in the comics (Betty Brant) and made the EXACT OPPOSITE choice than Garfield. Because that choice is hideously out of character for Peter Parker, plain and simple.

So is the death still tragic? Not for me, because it's Peter's fault. Seriously, they had Captain Stacy literally TELL HIM TO HIS FACE that she would die if he didn't give her up ("People you love are going to get hurt. Leave Gwen out of it."), but apparently sex > everything in Peter's eyes. Even if he was really in love with her (which he's not), you'd think someone as supposedly smart as him would say "Hmmm the first time I was selfish, someone I cared about died. Then someone else I cared about died because of another time I was selfish. Maybe I shouldn't be selfish this time so Gwen can live." Why does Peter need THREE people to DIE before he learns to not be selfish? Ugh.

Even thematically, the choice is just wrong. We have the entire film be about him learning that he is not the only one that matters and that he should do the right thing and when the moment finally comes to prove to the audience that he has learned he......turns around and starts doing the exact same crap he would've done if none of this had happened? UGH.

I can go on but I think I made my point. The sequel looks better and much more in character (save the fact that he's still with Gwen and apparently not feeling any guilt about it), but this film really made me wary of the franchise as a whole. Definitely waiting for reviews before I even think of spending money on it. But even if it's the best Spidey film ever (which I desperately hope it will be), it can't save this turd.

The ignoring Gwen,the conversations with Gwen,the death EVERYTHING you mention.........Bad.Writing.

Seriously,the movie is horendously written......the biggest gripe,and the fact that probably ruined the movie for some amount of people.

I like the movie,but i can't LIKE like it.....Avengers-like it.....Dark Knight-like it.

Some parts felt off,some parts were left out for no reason.....terrible writing.....this isn't Garfield's or Webb's fault.....this is Vanderbild's(or however this fvcker is called) fault.

That's why i have my hopes high for the sequel......the writers have done good work(in other films).And it seems well written so far.

I like you.You're a good conversationalist.You've earned a follow.

@ninjablade09 said:

Anyway, if you would like to continue this discussion, please PM me, I would love to hear your thoughts on the rest of the movie(as long as we can keep it civil) I don't want to derail this tread.

You're not compeletelly off topic,you know.....

1. Well, yes and no. It's not necessarily him doing good and being punished for it as it is just things going bad whenever they seem about to go right. Things like him missing a date to go be Spidey, him having a cold and having to fight Gobby, the laundry turning red and blue (props to Spidey 2 for that joke, that always makes me chuckle). It can be huge, but more and more it's becoming so it's not usually.

2. Ugh, sorry but I hate that reasoning. To be honest, it was offensive to me when I first saw it. Are younger people as responsible as older people? Maybe not (although considering the idiotic older people I've seen, I'd say they're the same) but the assumption that younger people will automatically do the absolute worst things they can possibly do in any given situation just because they're younger is baseless and ignorant. No, I don't agree that just because a teenager has powers, he/she'll automatically become a douchebag. Ultimate Peter is a perfect example of that. He didn't automatically turn into an ass when he first got powers. In fact most of the times when he freaks out at Aunt May and Uncle Ben are because he is suffering from things that weren't his fault. First time he yells at them? He had accidentally ripped out parts of the wall and was freaking out. Second time? He had accidentally broken Flash's hand in a fight that he didn't want to take part in (and really felt bad about it. Dude was crying) and was lectured like he had done it on purpose. And even then he immediately apologizes the next morning. He even only takes part in the wrestling to help pay the hospital bills, and even then he does itanonymously.The only times he's really a jerk is when he runs away from home and when he runs from Ben. And immediately after those, he acknowledges that they didn't deserve that and he's being a whiny douche, something that the newest movie's Peter never does. TASM Peter never sincerely apologizes or acknowledges that he's doing anything wrong, and that's where him being Peter really starts coming apart for me. People love to make Peter Parker just like them, in the interest of being relatable. However, when you erode his morals to make him just like you, and then call it "realistic", you've screwed up. Peter Parker IS his morals. He wouldn't be the character we know and love without them. So they can keep their "realistic" take.

3 and the rest. YES. This is exactly my problem, and like you said, it killed the film for me. Please don't misunderstand, I have nothing but respect for Andrew. Dude's a real fan and I loved him in Social Network. Truth be told, when the film first came out, I was hoping it would bomb after I saw it so I could see Garfield in better films. I think he's a genuinely great actor and it's obvious he was trying as hard as he could. I don't really dislike any of the cast, and I don't hate Webb. It's that dang writer. Vanderbilt. It's my main problem with the film. Every problem I have, from Peter, to the Spider-Sense and how horribly inconsistent it was, to the terrible romance, is all due to the writing.

As for you liking and following me, why thank you :) It's funny how I get two followers right as I'm about to take a hiatus from the site (school workload (I'm in college btw) is getting to be WAY too big for me to sit and debate. I'll be back when I have more free time.), but the gesture is appreciated.

@ninjablade09

I'll probably PM you when I get back to continue the discussion

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#205 the_stegman  Moderator

My answer is the same, Garfield is the superior Spider-Man and a much better Peter Parker.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206  Edited By PunyParker

@punyparker: I asked what he thought about the rest of the movie, so it would be a little off topic.

Okay.

1. Well, yes and no. It's not necessarily him doing good and being punished for it as it is just things going bad whenever they seem about to go right.

That's what i meant.

2. Ugh, sorry but I hate that reasoning. To be honest, it was offensive to me when I first saw it. Are younger people as responsible as older people? Maybe not (although considering the idiotic older people I've seen, I'd say they're the same) but the assumption that younger people will automatically do the absolute worst things they can possibly do in any given situation just because they're younger is baseless and ignorant. No, I don't agree that just because a teenager has powers, he/she'll automatically become a douchebag. Ultimate Peter is a perfect example of that. He didn't automatically turn into an ass when he first got powers. In fact most of the times when he freaks out at Aunt May and Uncle Ben are because he is suffering from things that weren't his fault. First time he yells at them? He had accidentally ripped out parts of the wall and was freaking out. Second time? He had accidentally broken Flash's hand in a fight that he didn't want to take part in (and really felt bad about it. Dude was crying) and was lectured like he had done it on purpose. And even then he immediately apologizes the next morning. He even only takes part in the wrestling to help pay the hospital bills, and even then he does itanonymously.The only times he's really a jerk is when he runs away from home and when he runs from Ben. And immediately after those, he acknowledges that they didn't deserve that and he's being a whiny douche, something that the newest movie's Peter never does. TASM Peter never sincerely apologizes or acknowledges that he's doing anything wrong, and that's where him being Peter really starts coming apart for me. People love to make Peter Parker just like them, in the interest of being relatable. However, when you erode his morals to make him just like you, and then call it "realistic", you've screwed up. Peter Parker IS his morals. He wouldn't be the character we know and love without them. So they can keep their "realistic" take.

3 and the rest. YES. This is exactly my problem, and like you said, it killed the film for me. Please don't misunderstand, I have nothing but respect for Andrew. Dude's a real fan and I loved him in Social Network. Truth be told, when the film first came out, I was hoping it would bomb after I saw it so I could see Garfield in better films. I think he's a genuinely great actor and it's obvious he was trying as hard as he could. I don't really dislike any of the cast, and I don't hate Webb. It's that dang writer. Vanderbilt. It's my main problem with the film. Every problem I have, from Peter, to the Spider-Sense and how horribly inconsistent it was, to the terrible romance, is all due to the writing.

As for you liking and following me, why thank you :) It's funny how I get two followers right as I'm about to take a hiatus from the site (school workload (I'm in college btw) is getting to be WAY too big for me to sit and debate. I'll be back when I have more free time.), but the gesture is appreciated.

2. He was a douche to Ben one time.And that night he died.So you can't tell the guy "you were a douche,apologise to this dead man".......he already felt bad.As for May,yeah he was talking bad to her,but the reason why is cause he didn't know how to tell her what he's doing....he comes home beaten up,face all fvcked up,the dude doesn't know what to say.....and yeah,that resaults in him acting not nice.And as seen at the end he kinda sorta asks for an apology with the eggs and the hug. (I like the chimney joke more,in the second one :P)
Also,yeah,they made him kinda like he would be if he was in real life......Bendis,Remender,Stern,all of them said that if Ben wouldn't have died,Parker was likely to end up using his powers for evil purposes.....The raimi films were an homage to the Lee/Ditko stuff....a love letter......this trilogy seems to be a more Ultimate/real approach.The first movie was mediocre,but i really think that the second will be trully decent.

3. DUDE YES!!....Spider-sense was SO innapropriatelly used!!...i mean,the scene with the toothbrush,in his room.....what the fvck was that?!!....And when the SWAT guy shot him?!....Spider-sense for Christ's sake....use it!!!! :)
I was the opposite on the casting.....thought he won't be so good.....though,when i saw he was a fan,i thought "Well,it's a step up from Tobey,who said he has never read any Spider-Man comicbook,and he soen't wanna do so...." ....even Robert Downey Jr is a bigger Spider-Man fan than Tobey.He wore a Spider-Man shirt once,in a convention.

You're welcome,you seem to know what're you talking about,and i always like this,no matter if we agree or not.Fprums are for conversating.Not saying "Tobey's better cuz f$#% you,that's why" :P

And we're in the same age group,apparently.I'm a college student too.

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tupiaz said:

Not saying bigger I'm not that big anymore because of OMD so there is that.

REALLY?!....

Those kind of people exist?!.....you like LESS the character because of a STORY a WRITER decided to do?!.....and especially a story that an editor FORCED the writer to do?!....

I am trully dissapointed.......

I didn't like the Superior direction....so what,now Peter sucks?!....NO!!....

That's called wrong mentallity.

As for the actors,read carefully.

Tobey was the 616 version of Peter Parker

Andrew is the 1610 version of Peter Parker.

The differences between the 2 in the comics are the differences between the two in the films.

Stop debating and deal with it.

Especially since it was forced by an editor. I don't like the old story less because of the new stories I'm just not interested in stories where PP have done a deal with the devil.

Experio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tie if I haven't said it before.

Black_Robin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Garfield

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Andrew Garfield all the way

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

They're not MY Spider-Man. I didn't vote for 'em!

Avatar image for The_Deathstroker
The_Deathstroker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why cant we have both?

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213  Edited By PunyParker

@jaken7 said:

They're not MY Spider-Man. I didn't vote for 'em!

We can agree on Josh Keaton,and be done with it already?! ;)

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker: I was joking. It's a reference to curmudgeony old people who go "he's not MY president, I didn't vote for him."

I like both actors actually. Although, Toby Maguire always seemed too old to be in high school.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215  Edited By PunyParker

@jaken7 said:

@punyparker: Although, Toby Maguire always seemed too old to be in high school.

Yes.And weirdly,Garfield was older when he shot Amazing Spider-Man,and in Amazing Spider-Man 2 he's 30,and he seems more of a highschooler.
Tobey was 27 when he shot "Spider-Man".

But anyway,they're doing a smart move,graduating him in the second....

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker: Yeah, Garfield's a real typecast actor that's always cast in roles where the character is around high-school/college age. He looks very young, whereas Tobey Maguire's always had an older looking face.

zrhatch99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Christopher Daniel Barnes from the 1994 animated series

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Garfield is the best Peter. Tobey is the best Spiderman.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219  Edited By PunyParker

@farkam said:

HOW!?!?!....
The most time he's not even in the suit!!.......
Maybe you meant the opposite?....then i can understand.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@farkam said:

HOW!?!?!....

The most time he's not even in the suit!!.......

Maybe you meant the opposite?....then i can understand.

No, I didn't mean it the other way around. Tobey sucks at Peter Parker, and makes him look like a self-absorbed jerk. Meanwhile Garfield's Spiderman reminds me of Deadpool with his jerky jokes and doesn't feel as classically heroic as Tobey's Spidey. I also like Tobey's suit better.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker: But it's how they are delivered, imo. Also yes, the suit is a BIG improvement.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@farkam said:

@punyparker: But it's how they are delivered, imo

Maybe maybe....
But it's better than nothing.

@farkam said:

Also yes, the suit is a BIG improvement.

It freaking is,i hated the 1st suit.

AdamAnouer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Toby Maguire. Andrew Garfield is sickeningly obnoxious and I don't mean that in the "he tells lame jokes" kinda way which Spider-Man is known for I mean that Peter Parker is a person who struggles to balance his life and this One Direction reject shows absolutely none of the depth or the emotion that Spidey or PP shows. To be fair though that's 100% completely Sony's fault for not knowing how to make a movie.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like Tobey more but Garfield is also very good.

Ascended

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226  Edited By Ascended

I'm going with Tobey for both Peter and Spider. I think Tobey slightly has the upper hand than Andrew in the role and also in audience votes.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ad9d72d64170
deactivated-5ad9d72d64170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Tobey Maguire

Andrew Garfield is an unsympathetic Peter Parker. He acts conceited and partly uncouth. There is nothing nerdy about him; he is more of a solitary hipster. For me, a total miscast.

opelfl9201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228  Edited By opelfl9201

Tobey Maguire by far.

He felt more organic to me. He was also much more emotional and sympathetic. In the first 2 Raimi movies, he felt more real and alive as Spider-Man.

I just couldn't get invested in Andrew Garfield's Peter Parker/Spider-Man. He felt nothing like Peter Parker to me. He also just looked so pretentious and lifeless in the role. I just can't feel sorry for this guy.

nintendork666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely Tobey. I've grown to appreciate ASM (mostly because of Emma Stone), but to me it's easily the worst of the 4 movies. I'm hoping ASM 2 is a stronger film.

leonkarlen123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@tupiaz said:

Andrew Garfield as Spidey. Tobey Maguire as PP. Overall Tobey Maguire. Mostly because of the script making PP stand on a skateboard. Most idiotic movie.

Tobey by far, Andrew was good but just not that good and i can't believe people actually says that Garfield is better.. He lacks of drama and he just shows an selfish Peter Parker..

Which movie was better? Original trilogy. It had my favorite villains and the music was very amusing

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tupiaz said:

Andrew Garfield as Spidey. Tobey Maguire as PP. Overall Tobey Maguire. Mostly because of the script making PP stand on a skateboard. Most idiotic movie.

Tobey by far, Andrew was good but just not that good and i can't believe people actually says that Garfield is better.. He lacks of drama and he just shows an selfish Peter Parker..

Which movie was better? Original trilogy. It had my favorite villains and the music was very amusing

I guess you need to read my post again.

TehStranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tobey made a better Peter, Garfield made a better Spider-Man.

leonkarlen123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233  Edited By leonkarlen123

@tupiaz said:

@leonkarlen123 said:

@tupiaz said:

Well i disagree with that Andrew is a better Spider man, what amazing scene did he show? That fight Spider man versus Venom was pretty epic

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@sunhawk said:

Toby - Andrew's Peter Parker was too cool, attractive, and popular to be a Peter Parker. Plus that scene where he throws the football after the no look catch and he bends the uprights. No one bats an eye at that. I'll put up with Toby's emo hipster jazz dancing Peter any day of the week over Andrew.

z3n_spyder616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235  Edited By z3n_spyder616

f*ck these clowns

josh keatons the real spiderman

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236  Edited By w0nd

After listening to Webb's interview, he thought the reboot was stupid, but he couldn't turn it down, you don't just turn down a spider-man movie, so like some people said, some bits seem off, but I blame that on the script and I can't imagine how worse it would have been without webb.

I will look at the amazing spider-man 2 since he had more control and see if this one is any better.

Peter did come off as a jerk and hostile in the amazing spider-man , but wasn't that the point? Look out for number one, and then regret his poor choices?

Someone made a picture containing a bunch of scans of ultimate peter parker acting the exact same way, (a jerk) I wish I saved it

I prefer watching garfield more than toby, when toby was out of costume I wanted him back in it and was bored otherwise. Andrew didn't give me that same issue, only a few super hero movies have done that in the past. I can watch RDJ as just plain old stark and not be bored.

**** EDIT ****

reviews are up already interesting.

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tupiaz said:

@leonkarlen123 said:

@tupiaz said:

Well i disagree with that Andrew is a better Spider man, what amazing scene did he show? That fight Spider man versus Venom was pretty epic

Spider-man's joke about small knifes being his only weakness showcases the essences of Spider-man that any of the 3 old movies did. I'm not comparing which movies had the best action scenes.

Ren_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Andrew Garfield, no question

leonkarlen123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ren_ said:

Yep, you clearly says that because you are a girl...

Ren_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240  Edited By Ren_

@ren_ said:

What is that even supposed to mean?

Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

Andrew Garfield. Having said that, he really needs to stop taking his mask off in public so often..

leonkarlen123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ren_ said:

@leonkarlen123 said:

@ren_ said:

What is that even supposed to mean?

Many girls out there find Andrew Garfield ''hot''

I asked my friend yesterday which was better then she said Andrew because he is hot..

I just don't think their looks does anything with there acting.

Peter has some kind of nerdy/geeky style while Andrew looked like a regular dude which is not the real story of Spider man/Peter Parker

But u might be different tho.

Ren_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@leonkarlen123: Right, so I'm gonna be frank.

It's condescending and also slightly sexist to assume (not even assume, but outright place the words in my mouth) that the reason I said Andrew Garfield was my choice is because I'm a female and attracted to him. Or to assume that just because many females hold an opinion, all, or even most of them do.

First of all, I could be a lesbian (I'm not, but still). And why aren't you assuming that the reason male users here chose him is because they're gay and therefore attracted to him?

Don't hold female users or people to a different standard of assumption than you do male ones.

That being said. Andrew Garfield has the physicality and the mannerisms of Peter down pat. He pulls off the lithe agility of Spider-Man, while still managing the awkwardness that Peter Parker has. He's got the quirky sarcasm and the wry and self-deprecating sense of humor. Somebody mentioned the knife scene earlier and that's the one that immediately comes to mind.

I thought that Tobey was wooden in the role, and didn't really enjoy any of his Spider-Man movies (except for maybe the first) as much as I did ASM.

leonkarlen123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244  Edited By leonkarlen123

@ren_: To be honest i am not a sexist i was just assuming that you were following the majority since i seen many threads were girl says Andrew because he is sexy.

If im a sexist i would not have a Girlfriend or a Girl-friend i am sorry if i was offending you but i often take people by the majority. Tobey was better because he is the classic and he did a better job as Pete and Spidy ( He had an awesome scene in Spider man 3 )

Avatar image for spideyivydaredevilfan26
SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 41

Tobey Maguire by FAR. More emotional, more authentic, more sympathetic and FAR deeper.

Frozezone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Andrew Garfield's Peter wasn't nerdy enough but his Spider-Man seemed perfect to me. He seemed like a teenager inside a suit unlike Tobey Maguire. I also think Andrew Garfield has a better body type for Spider-Man. However, unlike Tobey, Andrew Garfield just can't seem to play a nerd. He seems like more of a smart, cool guy. Overall, I prefer Andrew as I thought he nailed the concept of a teenage superhero.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#247  Edited By Fallschirmjager

Andrew is better in every single way. Tobey is a terrible as Peter and Spider-Man. And aside from JJJ and Ock, the first 3 are horribad in comparison. The CGI is outdated, the scripts are laughably predictable and the overall acting (aside from the two mentioned ) is terrible.

They were fine at the time because I had nothing else to compare it to, now its like night and day.

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#248  Edited By silent_bomber

The more I think about, the more I think Raimi's Spider-Man movies were very influenced by Donner's Superman films, Maguire's portrayal has more in common with Reeve's bumbling martyr Clark Kent than he does to any Pete from comics.

The Raimi movies themselves? Spider-Man 2 is league's ahead of the other two Raimi movies in my opinion, people complain about the Lizard being underdeveloped in AS1 but Green Goblin in S1 is far worse, a pantomime villain who postures and pulls faces.

S2 has some surprisingly good action sequences, and the humour is better written than it was in S1 (I'm sorry, but that "go web go" scene in Spider-Man 1 I just don't find remotely funny, nor the overplayed slapstick gags that I've seen countless times before).

The plot is also reminiscent of Stan Lee era comics in Spider-Man 2, which is cool, though the characters (Pete, MJ, Doc Ock) are still not really remotely recognisable to their comic book counterparts, May & Jonah are fine, though I hate the table scene with May.

I think Spider-Man 2 still hangs with the Amazing movies, its just very different, but the other two, no.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249  Edited By Black_Arrow
No Caption Provided

This one is the best Spidey.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Andrew actually seemed like a cool smart guy lol, but being a nerd in this modern day is acceptable. I like his spider-man better