ComicBatReader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ComicBatReader
No Caption Provided

As you can see, right in front of you.. This is the first issue of Marvels Ultimate Spider-Man! Any thoughts, any discussions any reviews? Just plop em down!

I honestly just think when Peter passes out, and the black stuff begins to take cover of the view, like the symbiote was covering everything. That's why this series is so awesome! Just LOOKING at the cover of this story arc makes you smile.

No Caption Provided

Any thoughts about Miles Morales? Plop em down!

I do not own this image, it was from ROBLOX.

Nuff said. .

oldwasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By oldwasher

Read a few issues of both ultimate Peter and miles and the ultimate universe is definitely awesome for teens like myself

ComicBatReader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldwasher:

Read a few issues of both ultimate Peter and miles and the ultimate universe is definitely awesome for teens like myself

I mostly read the issues with Peter, but I'll be reading the issues with Miles soon once I get done with the last one, I also agree that both of them are awesome.

You get to know the personality of Peter's backstory better, I also wish that the writer for the 1610 universe also started other series for characters like Wolverine and such, because I think he could do a good job on those characters too.

oldwasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comicbatreader: totally agree also if nobody has read ultimate Spider-Man volume 1 it's probably my favorite origin comic I have ever read

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By kcomicfan

Ultimate Spider-man was good. IMO the first few story arcs are not really that great. But the book really gets good around the time of peter dating Kitty and the clone saga

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ultimate Spider-man was good. IMO the first few story arcs are not really that great.

They're not great, they're amazing.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zarius said:
@kcomicfan said:

Ultimate Spider-man was good. IMO the first few story arcs are not really that great.

They're not great, they're amazing.

IMO The start of the book is not bad, its just...OK.

amazingfantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By amazingfantasy

I thought this was about the TV version so I stayed away lol.

USM is definitely a masterpiece for me! There's sooo many great things about it that I can't even list it. It's the book that made me fall in love with Spidey in the comics. It's also very well written and fun, and easily Bendis' best work for me. Uhhh... Tho I thought the post-ultimatum issues are pretty bad (Not counting DoSM). Nothing's perfect, right? lol

I also have a soft spot for Miles, he was the first character I "finished" a volume, and that I've been following for a good time now (When I started he was in issue 9/10). His book was great too, he was a unique character, once his book started mixing Peter's supporting cast with his own, it got pretty great! I couldn't wait for more great stories like that. But uh, that's not quite what happened... Honestly, for me Miles' stories REALLY dropped in quality starting after Venom Wars, and it also wasted a lot of potential. Too bad.

But even at his best, for me Miles' first 50 issues are no match for Peter's first 50 issues.

@oldwasher said:

Yeah, reading Ult. Spidey as a teen is an awesome experience. I read it when I was 15.

(I mean, I'm still a teen, but an older one now. :p)

@kcomicfan said:

Ultimate Spider-man was good. IMO the first few story arcs are not really that great. But the book really gets good around the time of peter dating Kitty and the clone saga

Peter and Kitty were really great together. I wish they stayed with each other, being honest they were a better couple than Ult. Peter/MJ for me.

Peter and Gwen had potential too but the execution wasn't that good to be honest.

oldwasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amazingfantasy: I agree with you about Peter and kitty being great together in the ultimate universe I feel like a teenage girl when I say I shipped them

amazingfantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

oldwasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really wish they would do something with ultimate Peter after secret wars since the ultimate universe appears to be ending and only miles and I think some other ultimate characters are moving on to 616

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ComicBatReader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ComicBatReader

@oldwasher said:

I really wish they would do something with ultimate Peter after secret wars since the ultimate universe appears to be ending and only miles and I think some other ultimate characters are moving on to 616

@oldwasher said:

@amazingfantasy said:

@oldwasher: Hahaha same here.

@amazingfantasy said:

I thought this was about the TV version so I stayed away lol.

USM is definitely a masterpiece for me! There's sooo many great things about it that I can't even list it. It's the book that made me fall in love with Spidey in the comics. It's also very well written and fun, and easily Bendis' best work for me. Uhhh... Tho I thought the post-ultimatum issues are pretty bad (Not counting DoSM). Nothing's perfect, right? lol

I also have a soft spot for Miles, he was the first character I "finished" a volume, and that I've been following for a good time now (When I started he was in issue 9/10). His book was great too, he was a unique character, once his book started mixing Peter's supporting cast with his own, it got pretty great! I couldn't wait for more great stories like that. But uh, that's not quite what happened... Honestly, for me Miles' stories REALLY dropped in quality starting after Venom Wars, and it also wasted a lot of potential. Too bad.

But even at his best, for me Miles' first 50 issues are no match for Peter's first 50 issues.

@oldwasher said:

Yeah, reading Ult. Spidey as a teen is an awesome experience. I read it when I was 15.

(I mean, I'm still a teen, but an older one now. :p)

@kcomicfan said:

Peter and Kitty were really great together. I wish they stayed with each other, being honest they were a better couple than Ult. Peter/MJ for me.

Peter and Gwen had potential too but the execution wasn't that good to be honest.

Anyone think that the creator would actually create his own whole series for the characters in the MARVEL Universe in 1610 universe? I think he'd do a good job writing a series based on other Marvel Characters.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Also, I think there needs to be an animated version of the 'Ultimate' series, a better voice for Peter Parker and maybe even a movie that could replace the ultimate Spider-Man 2002 movie AND The Amazing Spider-Man.

Tell me what you think with a reply! Also, does anyone think that the Untitled Reboot needs to be in theaters? I do, I honestly AGREED that The Amazing Spider-Man 2 was pretty awful itself. Even if Andrew Garfield was funny enough to make the movie available to ALL viewers. I mean seriously..

I also think that Miles Morales should have his own movie coming up soon, or a animated TV Series on Disney's Network since it would fit after Ultimate Spider-Man finishes, maybe scrap Disney out because.. That'd ruin the whole series.

Ultimate Spider-Man (Peter Parker) Issue Ultimate Spider-Man #1

Loading Video...

Heh.

Ultimate Spider-Man (Peter Parker) Issue Ultimate Spider-Man #2

Loading Video...

oldwasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think if ultimate peter is going to be in a movie there should be plenty of distinguishment between him and 616 peter parker. and if it does well we can have a Miles Morales sequel

amazingfantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think Miles should have a movie anytime soon, or a TV show.

Actually I'd be fine with a TV show, but too little material to work with. Let the newbie build his story, he still has long ways to go.

ComicBatReader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That'd be awesome! Maybe probably a movie.. But a TV show would be better, I guess.

I think if ultimate peter is going to be in a movie there should be plenty of distinguishment between him and 616 peter parker. and if it does well we can have a Miles Morales sequel

Miles Morales should have a TV show or a movie, well it'd be the Ultimate Spider-Man movie, but.. I think this deserves a big movie.

@amazingfantasy@oldwasher What do you think?

@kcomicfan

amazingfantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By amazingfantasy
oldwasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comicbatreader: actually a TV show would be even better but I think the same type of guidelines I stated should apply

Avatar image for deactivated-5a42ac11a1d9e
deactivated-5a42ac11a1d9e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am going to bump this page

Question: Was peter justified for breaking up with MJ because she was not listening to him?

oldwasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@starman_: honestly I think the breakup was more because Peter didn't want me to be hurt or targeted by any of his villains

Avatar image for deactivated-5a42ac11a1d9e
deactivated-5a42ac11a1d9e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@starman_: honestly I think the breakup was more because Peter didn't want me to be hurt or targeted by any of his villains

That is partly true, however MJ made this worse by not listening to Peter and putting herself in dangerous situations.

oldwasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@starman_: I can agree with that. but harry was friends with both of them and even though he became the hobgoblin she wanted to talk him down even though it was dangerous

Immolation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

??????

I disagree. The early Ultimate Spiderman stories (About up to 2004, the series never became bad though, just stopped being as good) along side Alias and Daredevil are the only three great things Brian Michael Bendis has written.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By kcomicfan

@kcomicfan said:

??????

I disagree. The early Ultimate Spiderman stories (About up to 2004, the series never became bad though, just stopped being as good) along side Alias and Daredevil are the only three great things Brian Michael Bendis has written.

I agree. Ultimate Spider-man, Alias and Daredevil are the best things Bendis has done.

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Zarius

@immolation said:
@kcomicfan said:

??????

I agree. Ultimate Spider-man, Alias and Daredevil are the best things Bendis has done.

In agreement also. I also liked The Pulse.

amazingfantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@immolation said:

@kcomicfan said:

??????

I agree completely mate, nicely said.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After reading the whole Ultimate Spider-man run again I have changed my mind, the first few story arcs of Ultimate Spider-man are good.

Anjales_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#28  Edited By Anjales_II

Whenever Ultimate Spider-Man is brought up, it usually considered to be the prime Spidey story, yet no one goes into detail or even discuss the most notable stories and maybe not everyone can read the entire run. I'll try to list its notable stories and some pros and cons:

Notable Arcs:

- Volume 1: Power & Responsibility (1-7) - For many, this is THE Spidey origin story. It's basically an extension of and a more detailed and modern version of Amazing Fantasy 15. This is the story that has been used for Spidey's film adaptations. It adds depth to Uncle Ben and Peter's relationship with him and when Ben is killed, given Peter's prior actions, and seeing May and Peter's reaction, it really hits you. Peter comes off as someone you genuinely identify with and root for. What Bendis does here is draw you into this new "ultimate" world and fills it with characters that you slowly start to relate to as if you're part of this world. And then you have the Green Goblin... probably more terrifying than his 616 version. It also works how he ties SM to the whole Ultimate-verse, for example, how the spider that bit him is an genetically engineered with a serum that was supposed to be the Super-Soldier serum.

- Volume 2: Learning Curve (8-13) - Basically a continuation of volume 1, Peter continues to learn about his responsibilities, gets a job at the Daily Bugle as a "web designer" and finally hooks up with MJ. He also faces the Kingpin, Electro and the Enforcers. First off, Peter as a character is further developed, and we see how he grows more confident and develop his infamous sense of humor. Seriously, that barrage of "fat" jokes he unleashes on Fisk towards the end is awesome. We also see how Peter gets in over his head when he attempts to punch above his weight, a 15 year old fighting the mafia and how he just doesn't understand how everyone knows Fisk is a bad guy, yet isn't behind bars. We also see how Peter has to rely on more than his abilities to beat certain foes, like Electro, who are stronger than him. And finally, there's his relationship with MJ. If you identify to the guy, it feels like you just "made it" when he finally hooks up with the hot red-head. It's quite a powerful moment.

- Volume 4: Legacy (22-27) - This is where things get truly serious, this is the ultimate (pun intended) face off between Spidey and the Green Goblin. Norman comes off as one of the most sadistic, evil and heinous villains in all of comics. In one issue, he has a truly terrifying monologue that just shows you how bad this guy is and how far he's willing to go to achieve his goals. If you doubt that the Green Goblin is Spidey's arch-nemesis then this story line will change your mind. You genuinely feel sorry for what he puts Peter through, and you will truly be satisfied when Peter gives him the beat down he had coming.

- Volume 6: Venom (28-32) - This arc introduces the Ultimate version of Eddie Brock and Venom. Generally regarded as one of the strongest stories of this run. It's deep, it's personal and adds depth to what we know about Peter's parents. It also adds depth to his relationship with MJ towards the end.

- Volume 10: Hollywood (54-59) - This story humorously addresses the fact that a Spider-Man movie is made directed by Sam Raimi and starring Toby Maguire! And what's worse is that Spider-Man didn't even agree to this, didn't get a dime out of this! However, what this story also adds is more depth to Doctor Octopus. He originally appeared in Volume 2, but I felt like he wasn't as interesting as his 616 counterpart. This story changes that, and it reminds us that Doc Ock is up there with Osborn as Peter's arch-nemesis. The way Ock's return was implemented into the Spider-Man move subplot was very well done.

- Volume 11: Carnage (60-65) - Probably one of the most heart-gripping story in the series. Gwen Stacy features heavily into this, though she is introduced in earlier volumes and had her character deepened in Volume 5. If you read those, this story will hit you harder. I think this is the point where I just started to say "this is enough" when it comes to tormenting Peter. Ill talk about that in a bit.

There are def. others but these are the strongest, other arcs include "The Hobgoblin" (Vol 13) and "Death of a Goblin" (Vol 19) story which further expands Peter's relationship with the Osborns. There's also Vol 16 which introduces Ultimate Deadpool as well as Peter's new girlfriend Kitty Pride of the X-Men! And Spider-Man's story as part of Ultimatum was also really strong, as it shows how much of a hero Peter is. Issue 111 is also one of the strongest issues in the entire run as it expands upon Peter's relationship with Aunt May.

What worked really well with this story is that it felt like one big story, almost every volume is a continuation of the previous one, with very few filler issue. Almost every issue has a payoff. Also, Peter's humor was very well handled, making you laugh out loud at some of his jokes. I also enjoyed Peter's relationship with Nick Fury whom he sees as a father figure, though their relationship is strained. Aunt May was handled very well. Gwen Stacy and Mary Jane were also written very well. Jameson was written well, though not as well as his 616 counterpart, but still not bad at all, but I did like his development towards the end. And while I didn't like the fact that they killed Peter, the story itself was really strong. In terms of villains, Green Goblin takes the cake, but some of the others were strong too. Electro, Kingpin, Venom (initially that is), Doc Ock (later on), Mysterio, Hammerhead were written strongly. I even enjoyed Shocker, who was purposely written as a joke but an enjoyable one that worked well as a recurring villain/joke.

ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN'S CONS:

However, as acclaimed as this run is, nobody really talks about its cons.

Bendis' writing becomes repetitive and stale: This may be expected when a writer has a long run, but Bendis's style of dialog can become a bit repetitive at times. um...it's umm.. You'll see a lot of that. You'll also see characters repeat themselves. A LOT. You may enjoy that at first, making the characters more relatable, but after over 100 issues it becomes a little tiring. and annoying. I'm not saying his dialog is bad, but his formula becomes stale. Not a deal breaker he makes that up with deep characterization but something of note.

Putting Peter through too much turmoil: Also, as mentioned in Vol11, it seemed like Bendis was trying to outdo himself in how much he can make Peter's life worse. It's like he stuck with a formula that revolved around making Peter miserable. Seriously, he puts Peter through stuff that no 15 year old should go through, and yes it's expected since he's Spidey, but i think Bendis overdid it a bit. He makes you root for the character yet constantly puts him through hardships where it feels a little too much at times, it becomes a little depressing. And the tone is all over the place, one minute it's comedy, the other it's heart-wrenching. The transition isn't very well done. More on this later.

Missed Opportunities: And there were several missed opportunities with characters. Kraven the Hunter was a complete joke, Sandman, Lizard, Scorpion and Rhino were barely in there, Silver Sable and her Wild Pack were handled poorly and made to look like fools (in contrast with Sable's very strong portrayal in the Ultimate Spider-Man video game which was also written by Bendis), Harry Osborn was a hit and miss as the character had much more potential, Curt Conners was poorly handled, Peter's relationship with Gwen Stacy could have been handled better. While Kitty Pride as a character was well written she was poorly handled towards the end. Even though early on, the relationship with Pete worked really well, she was basically kicked to the curb so that he can get back together with MJ. I think that was very poorly handled and a disservice for fans of Kitty Pride and the relationship between the two. Also, Black Cat, I think could have been better, If you are a fan of their relationship in 616 you may not like their relationship here, or lack there off, it's even a little gross. Other characters that were introduced were made to look really bad to make Peter look good. . I'm talking about the Marvel Knight/Warriors stories. where Dardavil, Moon Knight, Shang Chi and Iron Fist played a factor, I don't those characters were handled very well.

Filler at the wrong time: Also, while there's very few filler, the few that were there, some of them were at the wrong time. For example, after the serious tone of the Legacy story, we got a humorous tale revolving around Peter changing into Peter, missing class and arriving later at the crime scene after another hero had already solved the issue. It's a nice issue on its own, but Legacy still needed its aftermath explored, which it did in later issues, but this filler issue was at the wrong time. Also, after Carnage we had the infamous "Freaky Friday" story with Wolverine, yet we still haven't recovered from Carnage's emotionally gripping ending. Also, despite having a strong initial story, Venom never really did have any lasting impact. He only appeared twice in the whole run, which is disappointing, and anyone who's played Ultimate Spider-Man the game knows how much potential was wasted.

Kong: Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I honestly didn't like Kong. He just felt so forced. That sort of characterization could have benefitted Flash Thompson, a character who was also a bit one-note, that's actually part of the Spidey mythos. I heard he was based on Bendis himself is that true? Whatever it is I honestly didn't like him.

Everybody knows Peter's ID! : A minor grip but I felt like too many people know Peter's secret. Something that people also criticized in the first ASM movie.

Killing off Peter: quality of Death of Spider-Man and Miles Morales aside, it's still breaks your heart when Peter dies.

amazingfantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@anjales: Wow dude, great post! I don't have the time right now but I'll try and give you a proper answer later

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@anjales: Great post, I mostly agree with you.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@anjales: Excellent breakdown and analysis.

For me though, growing up reading a grown up mature 28 year old Peter Parker in ASM, is why I'll always consider the mainstream 616 Peter Parker, the prime Spidey story.

I did however at the time purchase Vol 1 of Ultimate Spider-Man and did enjoy reading it. The artwork was also very cool.

Maybe I should consider extending those volumes. :-)

Anjales_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

@kcomicfan: @amazingfantasy: Thx, glad to hear it.

@magnetic_eye: It's more than understandable why 616 Peter Parker is "your" Spidey, especially considering that, at the time Ultimate Spider-Man was starting, I believe it was also around that time JMS started his 7 year run. But the thing about this run, while does have certain flaws here and there, is a really thorough expansion of the Spidey mythos. Notice how the movies and the cartoons have always utilized many elements from this run. I do agree though, 616 Pete will always be the "main" Spidey.

And thanks for bringing up the art, I knew I missed something. The art in Ultimate played a huge role in how you view and relate to the characters. And whenever Ultimate Spidey is concerned, the prime artist is Mark Bagley. Though establishing himself as one of the main Spidey artists in the 90's, I think his style worked very well for this series. He has knack for drawing very expressive faces, notably shock, horror and despair. The look on Aunt May's face when she talks about Uncle Ben's is truly heart breaking. I also love the way he drew Spidey, notably the eyes. While personally I prefer the more sharp edged designs, his rounded wide eyes with a stylized black stroke is joy to see and almost looks animated when attempting to convey Spidey's expressions. His use of shadows also compliment the look and feel of the book. That technique worked particularly well with Norman Osborn, giving him a more sinister aura. However, he also has some cons. The girls he draws generally tend to have the same face. If it weren't for the fact that they have different hair colors, and dress differently, MJ and Gwen look the same. Also, "sinister businessmen in suits" tend to look the same as well, as in they all kinda look like Norman Osborn. These are minor gripes compared to Bagley's overall work though. Other artists also worked on the book, after Bagley left the book Stuart Immonen was tasked with filling those huge shoes, and I think he did a very good job, notably in the Death of a Goblin story, his characters are not only expressive but also also have a 3-dimensional feel to the them. David Lafuente would later draw the book in the second run, and while his cartoonish style is a joy to look at, it worked better with the more light hearted stories than the serious ones. However, I did like some of his designs, notably the ones for MJ and Mysterio.

Avatar image for staticdwanyemcduffie
StaticDwanyeMcduffie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ComicBatReader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for staticdwanyemcduffie
StaticDwanyeMcduffie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To answer the question that bumped this page, yes Peter was justified for breaking up with MJ.