Superior Spider-man Sales Figures & Chart

This topic is locked from further discussion.

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By animehunter

After thinking it over, I decided to put together a bar chart showing the sales figures of Superior Spider-man 1-present

http://www.animehunt.com/ssmsales.jpg

http://www.animehunt.com/fp.jpg

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#2  Edited By Teerack

haha yes! This makes me happy. If the sales continue like this I'd love to see Slott's new counter argument "Sales" wont work anymore.

They are higher then what I remember ASM selling at which was usually around 50-65k ish, but there getting close, so soon this whole series will have no purpose. :)

I bet there will be a small spike at issue 9 and then another huge drop.

Impy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Impy

You guys should go and check out the Spider-Man forums over at Marvel.com. Dan Slott actually has an account on there and posts rebuttals to things like this. I won't say that I agree with him, but it's worth reading what he has to say. Great work, thanks for a neat chart!

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

I'v been wondering what the actual sales where like since every time I see Slott talking about it he's usually saying stuff like "Oh My GAWD, the sales are soooo good it might stay like this FOEVAAAAAA"

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By InnerVenom123

@impy said:

You two should go and check out the Spider-Man forums over at Marvel.com. Dan Slott actually has an account on there and posts rebuttals to things like this. I won't say that I agree with him, but it's worth reading what he has to say.

Got a link to a specific post?

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#6  Edited By Lvenger

@impy said:

You guys should go and check out the Spider-Man forums over at Marvel.com. Dan Slott actually has an account on there and posts rebuttals to things like this. I won't say that I agree with him, but it's worth reading what he has to say. Great work, thanks for a neat chart!

Any specific links you know of?

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

@impy said:

You two should go and check out the Spider-Man forums over at Marvel.com. Dan Slott actually has an account on there and posts rebuttals to things like this. I won't say that I agree with him, but it's worth reading what he has to say.

Got a link to a specific post?

Just try googling "Dan Slott on forums" or something there are a ton of post by him where he runs out of things to say and just starts insulting people. It's pretty amazing marvel is okay with that considering he represents them.

Impy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@innervenom123@lvenger:

Here's one of the threads he posts on: http://fans.marvel.com/go/thread/view/108222/29605923/IF_YOU_HATE_THE_ENDING_TO_SPIDERMAN_700_POST_HERE_AND_LETS_GET_PETER_BACK_NOW!

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@impy: Thanks. Ha Slott really is showing his true colours now.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

Yes, he's shown to be f**king hilarious in dealing with angry fans. It's beautiful.

And congratulations on your self-promotion from warrior to Captain. Was there a full dress ceremony involved? If so, sorry I missed it. I'm sure you cut quite the dashing figure in your captain's hat. :)

That sass. UNF.

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Ninjablade09

Cool. Hopefully these sales keep dropping. Then Marvel will hire a new writer. I like variety.

TrueMoonchilde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@impy said:

@innervenom123@lvenger:

Here's one of the threads he posts on: http://fans.marvel.com/go/thread/view/108222/29605923/IF_YOU_HATE_THE_ENDING_TO_SPIDERMAN_700_POST_HERE_AND_LETS_GET_PETER_BACK_NOW!

He comes across as his own ego stroking fanboy.

Avatar image for winterfreakinsoldier
WinterFreakinSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still better than Amazing Spider-Man..

No Caption Provided

Removed are:

ASM#666: 135,568 (Start of Spider-Island)

ASM#700: 200,966 (+67,005)

SSM#1: 188,182

Marvel expects drops from issue 1-5, before it stabilizes. Looks like 6-8 is stabilized.

No Caption Provided

clonesaga2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still better than Amazing Spider-Man..

No Caption Provided

Removed are:

ASM#666: 135,568 (Start of Spider-Island)

ASM#700: 200,966 (+67,005)

SSM#1: 188,182

Marvel expects drops from issue 1-5, before it stabilizes. Looks like 6-8 is stabilized.

No Caption Provided

I think it's a little bit funny that the guy in the black shirt being yelled at looks a little bit like Dan Slott.

camstevens80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By camstevens80

I would expect to see another drop after #9 but it still probably won't drop to below what Amazing was doing

Avatar image for winterfreakinsoldier
WinterFreakinSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@clonesaga2099: It's most likely Dan Slott. It's a panel from one of his She-hulk issues.

Impy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@innervenom123@lvenger@moonchilde:

Sorry peeps. I should have been more clear. My main point was that he actually comments about the sales issues on those forums. As he is an "insider" in the comic book world, I feel that what he has to say deserves some recognition. Basically the gist of what he says is that every single comic book series can expect steady sales drops from issue 1.

@lvenger said:

Yes, he's shown to be f**king hilarious in dealing with angry fans. It's beautiful.

And congratulations on your self-promotion from warrior to Captain. Was there a full dress ceremony involved? If so, sorry I missed it. I'm sure you cut quite the dashing figure in your captain's hat. :)

That sass. UNF.

Yes, he is very funny. The people on those forums probably make it a blast for him to do that. Unlike the "haters" on these forums, who actually make good points, the people on there are often just plain stupid. All they do is whine.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By w0nd

His logical responses are amusing though.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

#21  Edited By PunyParker

Superior #9 sales will be good.Because of the hype and advertising it got.But generally ,yeah, the sales are dropping/dropped throughout time,and eventually it will continue to drop....

Slott is accusing people of bashing the book,without reading it....and he seems irritated from it! it's truly fun to watch him answer every damn quote a guy post about how bad Superior is!!

He is a man with self-confidence problems,and want approval for everything to feel important.That's the feel of the posts....he posts a 3 paragraph reply,to a 7 word post...
Plus,he's writing Superior Spider-Man ALWAYS IN CAPS!!!....that shows confidence in your work.

"Stories are told because writers want to tell them and editorial feels strongly about them. It's all in the service of story. It's a story I've cared enough about to sow its seeds for 100 issues."

Aw f#ck...

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I made an account "Spider-frek"(dont know where that come from) and posted to Dan Slott....i really want to get an answer!! (go to the forum,and you'll see the post!)

Tacos_Kickass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think its surprising at all that the last issue of ASM and the first issue of Superior sold so much. Even though it has gone down a little since #2 sales still look relativity stable.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By w0nd

Superior #9 sales will be good.Because of the hype and advertising it got.But generally ,yeah, the sales are dropping/dropped throughout time,and eventually it will continue to drop....

Slott is accusing people of bashing the book,without reading it....and he seems irritated from it! it's truly fun to watch him answer every damn quote a guy post about how bad Superior is!!

He is a man with self-confidence problems,and want approval for everything to feel important.That's the feel of the posts....he posts a 3 paragraph reply,to a 7 word post...

Plus,he's writing Superior Spider-Man ALWAYS IN CAPS!!!....that shows confidence in your work.

"Stories are told because writers want to tell them and editorial feels strongly about them. It's all in the service of story. It's a story I've cared enough about to sow its seeds for 100 issues."

Aw f#ck...

Should he not answer them? Hell when people on there talk about boycotting and protesting and he or another user has to give them instructions how to properly do this, then he doesn't come off as the stupid one, he doesn't even come off as much of a d!ck as everyone claims, he responds the way anyone would talking to stupid people on the internet, sarcastically.

I noticed these types of Irate fans

1:Boycott marvel by giving up one book that will show them!

2: Boycott marvel by giving up all the books I like for one I don't like that I never even read!"

3: Boycott marvel and fail to realize Disney owns Marvel so technically you would have to give up everything Disney owns, and by logging on a Marvel site to talk about Boycotting defeats the purpose.

"Slott is accusing people of bashing the book,without reading it."

Well yeah because they admitted they didn't bother to read it, that is kind of stupid, and is irritating. If I was debating and had someone on my side who mid way announces they didn't research the topic they are talking about I would be like wtf....

Do you know how I know I don't like the idea of peter being dead? Because I actually read the book.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd: I agree with you on that.....if you dont read the book,dont judge it.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker: I couldn't find your post no the Marvel boards. Hopefully Dan replies to you though.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd: Here!

He replied like a norman human being....i'm glad!
Also i replied too,and told him to respect the source material....(Pete)

See for yourself.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker: OHHH it shows you as Spider-F on my screen that's why i didn't notice. Anyways yeah I have been using that answer as an example of why I think the story is acceptable, it's just another story about peter's crappy luck, things will go back to normal eventually

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By PunyParker

@w0nd: ...and hopefully....if we judge from the answer we got (i say we,because i think i was representing the CV comunnity) we'll get Parker back,sooner or later....there's a movie coming out next year....

And as i said in another thread,PunyParker was taken....

DanSlott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By DanSlott

@animehunter said:

After thinking it over, I decided to put together a bar chart showing the sales figures of Superior Spider-man.

If any find the image unclear let me know.

Hi. I find that the image is a little unclear in context.

Could you please post a chart that also shows an equal amount of issues before ASM #700 as you do of those that came after it?

Are you suggesting the sales of the SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN comic should have maintained the sales of just ASM #700, which was the #1 selling dollar comic of 2012, bringing in more profit than any other single issue of any comic in the entire comic book industry that year?

Are you also suggesting that the sales of the #2 issue of a comic should be the same as the sales for a #1 issue-- and that the kind of drop SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN had from #1 to #2 is something unique to that book alone?

For example lets look at other high profile #1 to #2 sales figures for other books. (These figures are taken from this article: http://comicsbeat.com/marvel-month-to-month-sales-march-2013/ )

Tell me if you see a trend.

All-New X-Men #1 - 181,693
All-New X-Men #2 - 100,983 (-44.4%) 
Uncanny X-Men v3 #1 - 177,463
Uncanny X-Men v3 #2 - 94,615 ( -46.7%) 
Uncanny Avengers #1 - 303,722
Uncanny Avengers #2 - 114,257 (-62.4%) 
Avengers v5 #1 - 186,989
Avengers v5 #2 - 99,028 ( -47.0%) 
New Avengers v3 #1 - 116,280
New Avengers v3 #2 - 79,433 ( -31.7%) 
Deadpool v4 #1 - 127,977
Deadpool v4 #2 - 76,445 ( -40.3%) 
Indestructible Hulk #1 - 118,200
Indestructible Hulk #2 - 63,653 ( -46.1%) 
Thor v5 #1 - 110,443
Thor v5 #2 - 65,533 ( -40.7%) 
Is it possible that what you and Teerack are taking delight in is a standard drop that (outside of one or two outliers) ALL books go through after launch, when retailers order heavy on #1, 50% to 40% less of #2, a less steep cut from #2 and #3, and more of a leveling off (determined from ACTUAL sales and NOT the retailer ordering blind for a few months) by the fourth month?

I believe that (with the exception of a cherry-picked outlier or two) if you plotted out ANY 5 Marvel books that launched with a new #1 side-by-side with SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN'S sales, you would see that SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN'S attrition from issue to issue is one of the BETTER performing titles for the company.

Thanks.
InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By InnerVenom123

This thread just became super-relevant.

Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#32  Edited By Deadcool
DanSlott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd: Here!

He replied like a norman human being....i'm glad!

Also i replied too,and told him to respect the source material....(Pete)

See for yourself.

Amazing, right? How if you ask that guy a question like a normal human being, he replies like one. What a disturbing turn of events. ;-)

Seriously tho, recently on those Marvel.Com boards, I've only been taking the piss out of one guy: A guy who has literally made a 100 angry posts about a book that he himself says he's NEVER read. And NOW his latest thing is that he's bravely launching a boycott and not buying... a book he's NEVER bought. C'mon. How can you NOT have fun winding a guy like that up? :-D

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danslott said:

Hi. I find the image is a little unclear in context.

Could you post a chart that also shows an equal amount of issues before ASM #700 as you do of those that came after it?

Are you suggesting the sales of the SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN comic should have maintained the sales of just ASM #700, which was the #1 selling dollar comic of 2012, bringing in more profit than any other single issue of any comic in the entire comic book industry that year?

Are you also suggesting that the sales of the #2 issue of a comic should be the same as the sales for a #1 issue-- and that the kind of drop SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN had from #1 to #2 is something unique to that book alone?

'Cause that would be a very unrealistic point to make. For example lets look at other high profile #1 to #2 sales figures for other books:

(These figures are taken from this article: http://comicsbeat.com/marvel-month-to-month-sales-march-2013/ )

Tell me if you see a trend.

All-New X-Men #1 - 181,693
All-New X-Men #2 - 100,983 (-44.4%) 
Uncanny X-Men v3 #1 - 177,463
Uncanny X-Men v3 #2 - 94,615 ( -46.7%) 
Uncanny Avengers #1 - 303,722
Uncanny Avengers #2 - 114,257 (-62.4%) 
Avengers v5 #1 - 186,989
Avengers v5 #2 - 99,028 ( -47.0%) 
New Avengers v3 #1 - 116,280
New Avengers v3 #2 - 79,433 ( -31.7%) 
Deadpool v4 #1 - 127,977
Deadpool v4 #2 - 76,445 ( -40.3%) 
Indestructible Hulk #1 - 118,200
Indestructible Hulk #2 - 63,653 ( -46.1%) 
Thor v5 #1 - 110,443
Thor v5 #2 - 65,533 ( -40.7%) 

Hello DanSlott,

Welcome to Comic vine. Now I must say, I may not be the biggest fan of Superior Spider-man I did really enjoy issues 4-5 with the darker and grittier tone. Its also the reason my favorite issue out of your entire run is Amazing Spider-man #665, the very first Spider-man issue drawn by the great Ryan Stegman. So I really have only one question will the series keep changing tone between issues every once and awhile like issues 5-6, or will we get like a solid tone, such as dark with a little bit of goof. I have to say you are one lucky guy to be able to write your favorite super-hero on a bi-monthly basis. And one more question what can we expect from Superior Spider-man #17 with Spider-man 2099?

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By InnerVenom123

oh my god he even types like him

is this really happening i'm so happy

Ahem.

I love it when writers post openly here. It is a favorite thing of mine that CV lacks badly in comparison to other forum sites.

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danslott: All I did was put up the sales figures and let others draw their conclusion from it.

But, to be fair, I'll place a chart showing a few issue of ASM sales before 700

DanSlott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danslott: All I did was put up the sales figures and let others draw their conclusion from it.

But, to be fair, I'll place a chart showing a few issue of ASM sales before 700

Could you also please add to your chart, for the sake of perspective, how it's performing against 3 or 4 other titles in its range? Like the high selling flagship books: Uncanny Avengers, All New X-Men, Avengers, and/or New Avengers?

Looking at one title (like Superior Spider-Man) alone in a vacuum can also give a skewed look and be misleading.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danslott: Yes,this is disturbing.
I can critisize and judge you(as a Spider-Man writer) because i've read every single ASM and SSM comic you have written....Those guys,no.
Everyone were bashing about death of Gwen Stacy,Clone Saga,but if you asked some of them,they hadnt even read it......so,yeah....

I'm "Spider-f" from the Marvel board.

P.S. Welcome to our beautiful community!!
Hope you enjoy the occasional rant/bashing of us,about Superior Spider-Man :P

DanSlott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By DanSlott

Hmm. When you look at those two charts side-by-side...

It almost looks like there was a peak at #700 (like it was a real attention grabbing event-- like something that got nationwide exposure and got people who don't normally buy comics picking it up)...

Then the book stabilizes 4 to 5 months in... at numbers that are on average 25,000+ more than its previous sales on ASM.

How odd. ;-)

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

yeah all it looks like is that the book had a large sales start because of it's marketing and then stabilized at around 85k a month....so I don't know why people who are against the book are excited about this....it's still selling a buttload more than most books

I for one will admit that I don't like what happened to Peter but I don't think that anyone within Marvel really expected that people were going to be thrilled with what happened....that being said....Superior is one of my favorite books coming out right now and I can't wait to see what happens next....I'm love hating Ock but then seeing those moments where he realizes just how much of a huge a$$hole he was

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danhimself: @danslott: Mainly because it's Spider-Man and another reason is that people want to see what happens to Peter

DanSlott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Simply for perspective, I placed a chart showing sales for 4 other titles.

Cool. Thanks for that. Could you please add the Spidey figures to that last chart?

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danslott: For perspective, I placed a chart showing sales for 4 other titles.

Can you also she some light on these

- In ASM 690, we found out that Silver Sable is alive and that her story isn't over, as stated by Julia Carpenter, could you say when she might be returning.

- Did Julia Carpenter Know that this was going to happen to Peter, because the way her dialogue was, it sounded like she did or at least had an idea of it, and definitely knew in ASM 695

- If you can, what does the future hold of Mary Jane & Carlie Cooper.

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danslott said:

@animehunter said:

Simply for perspective, I placed a chart showing sales for 4 other titles.

Cool. Thanks for that. Could you please add the Spidey figures to that last chart?

Done

jcolesamuels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By jcolesamuels

@danslott: Doesn't this kinda diminish Peters prior decisions and beliefs and what about the web of life, i mean i know that you can only fit so much within a few pages. but that all seems to be a big hit especially after reading SSM 9. i mean its kinda like Octavius being in there kinda just corrupted or degraded what peter was. i'll keep reading but right now the way things are progressing doesn't really feel interesting it just seems degrading. not to be hatin or spiteful cause i know you read the good post with the bad but i just can't get into it. i absolutely loved grim hunt and spider island was a nice read. i was even chuckling when you gave him a sidekick but ultimately while i thought ssm would be an interesting change of pace for the wall crawler. after i calmed down a bit from the initial sting of 700 and the avenging titles through its current run it kinda feels that he's gotten the grasp of this too easily. and i don't know it kinda seems boring. i mean ill be a spider fan through thick and thin and i'll continue to support for the other stories you've done and are doing but i guess its just not that interesting to me. good luck with the rest of this story.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@innervenom123 said:

oh my god he even types like him

is this really happening i'm so happy

Ahem.

I love it when writers post openly here. It is a favorite thing of mine that CV lacks badly in comparison to other forum sites.

Deep breaths, deeeeep breaths, slowly mark out in awe...

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 31

Thank you for that second, contextual chart (and thanks to @danslott, real or poser, for the suggestion). It's something I've been thinking about doing for Arena, considering how often those numbers are discussed without any immediate comparison.

I do anticipate this book taking a hit after the events of the last issue. Whether it will be substantial, and whether it will last, is another matter altogether.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danslott: Why are you not answering simple story plot questions,and only responding to posts that include "sales" or "numbers" or any particular anti-Superior stuff.....

@ninjablade09 asked you something above, about the story.....same as i did.....and @jcolesamuels and @animehunter .....

Not spoiler questions,simple questions.