Spider-Sense explained?

sgu823

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By sgu823

In ASM #5, Silk explains that the spider-sense is like "a psychic web" that reaches out into the world. I thought she was being needlessly poetic, like superheroes tend to be, but then I started reading Spider-Verse and what I think Slott is going for is that the "psychic web" Silk talks about is actually the "Web of Life and Destiny" introduced in Spider-Verse. Basically, all the spider-totems are psychically attuned to it and whenever they're in danger, they subconsciously connect to it.

I dunno, it's just a theory, but if that's what Slott is actually going for then I think it would be brilliant. It's a much better explanation than "it just works somehow" and it would also explain the whole Madame Web thing which I always thought was just random...

ariesxmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's just another plot device like every other character has.

Avatar image for symbioticspider-man
SymbioticSpider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

It's just another plot device like every other character has.

Pretty much.

Master_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Didn't Ezekiel Say It was From Magic through the spidertotem

Anjales_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

In accordance with the stories, the spider-sense is simply an advanced version of the fight or flight mechanism that heightens Peter's reflexes and awareness. The whole thing with the web mumbojumbo is simply a plot device tied to the spider totem concept introduced by JMS over 10 years ago. This goes back to the whole science vs magic debate that JMS introduced, and Slott's current work ties heavily in that. With that said, the Spider-Sense is always science based once the mystical stuff is out of the way.

chuckwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spider-sense is precognition to danger on an instinctual level. Peter simply knows on a subconscious level exactly when and from what direction he's going to be attacked before it happens and his reflexes allow him to avoid it. It's so fast and accurate that he can even avoid laser and automatic weapons fire, because he reacts before the shot actually happens in most cases.

Friv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The whole 'mystical' aspect of the spider-sense actually makes more sense than the science aspect. It's pointed out many times that spiders don't have a sense that warns them of danger, so why does Spider-Man?

It's easily Peter's most effective and powerful weapon, and his very own ace in the hole. Put it this way, Peter's spider-sense had allowed him to fight most of the greatest and deadliest hand-to-hand combatants in the MU and fare extremely well against them. Before his Way of the Spider training, Peter had solely relied on his spider-sense and even though it was a huge crutch (apparent when he lost it), he was virtually untouchable when not messing around.

Spider-sense trumps most things in comic books, I think the only way it can be overridden is if someone is faster than it. Peter doesn't have the best of luck against speedsters, because they move faster than his spider-sense can react. Still didn't stop him from tagging Speed Demon, a dude that can run as fast as the speed of sound :P

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DeathpooltheT1000

Because... reasons!!

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is explained and it is mystical.
It is ability to sense future hazards trough connection with a treads of great web of life and death. ASM15.

sgu823

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rubear said:

It is explained and it is mystical.

It is ability to sense future hazards trough connection with a treads of great web of life and death. ASM15.

Yeah, I literally just finished reading ASM #15 and was pleasantly surprised to see that my theory was correct. Though from what people have said on this page, I'm guessing it wasn't always intended to be mystical so I guess this is kind of a retcon.

Enrique90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This might be a little off topic but I wanted this part of the spider sense cleared up.

Here's a scenario, spider-mans neighbor has built an atom bomb and sets it to go off in 24 hours. How does Spider-mans spider sense react?

My guess would be that parker is instinctively/ intuitively drawn to his neighbors house, with plenty of time to disarm the bomb. But idk... How about he has a dream of the future and sees his death final destination style lol

someone help me understand

musa56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tho peters spider sense isn't really boredline prerecognitive, he has sensed events that could POSSIBLY happen, not entirely. His spider sense works in many ways, not just one. Even tho he is 28 years old now, his spider sense is still developing. It is I can say instinctual and mystical. Peter was able to dodge light speed attacks and call that cute.