#1 Edited by animehunter (1893 posts) - - Show Bio

Since Amazing Spider-man 698 & Superior Spider-man 1 to Amazing Spider-man 700 & Superior Spider-man 9, SpOck had the use of Peters memories in order to pull off being Peter Parker.

Now that he no longer has them even those stored in the Golden Octobot, what now, what's his next step.

We already know from Superior Spider-man 3, while he still had Peters memories, his actions resulted in Carlie Cooper getting confirmation of who she suspects he really is (since issue 2 I suspect as a result of Amazing Spider-man 700), which resulted in her starting her investigation into proving it (Check Finally, someone knows Doc Ock is Spider-man!(Spoilers) for more on it)

Issue 2
Issue 3-1
Issue 3-2

In Superior Spider-man 10, his actions or I should say lack of, resulted in Mary Jane FINALLY becoming suspicious of him, and which could result in her confiding in Carlie and eventually joining in on the investigation. Lets not also forget what happened in Superior Spider-man 6 which although not to the extent of issue 10, I believe it to be the seed that started her down the road to the suspicion of Peter not being Peter. she even went as far as mentioning "She felt a sense of dread from Peter and not a spark of the guy she used to know & wondered if this is how Peters Spider sense felt like"

Issue 10-1
Issue 10-2
Issue 10-3
Issue 10-4
Issue 10-5
Issue 6

So the question is what might he do now to pull off being Peter, because I doubt it'll be easy.

Now, to the question of how he accessed those memories,

Some might have assumed that he could just access them like we do and would immediately know, but I have a feeling it more like accessing a filling system and could only be accessed if the situation warranted it and once he's access them, that memory would be stored in SpOck own memory, similar to copying a file from one folder to another. An example of that could be found in Superior Spider-man 4, where he had to "access" Peter memories in order to find out qualifications Peter had. and once he did he could was still able to remember to that he had to go to university to get his doctorate in Superior Spider-man 10.

Another example is in Superior Spider-Man #2 I won't say what it is (too disturbing), but it involved the memories of Peter and Mary Jane's Personal moments.

Issue 4
Issue 10
#2 Posted by PunyParker (9869 posts) - - Show Bio

I dont know what they're doing exacly.....cause having Ock as a permanent Spider-Man is plain dum.

#3 Edited by wrthreeh (67 posts) - - Show Bio

I dont know what they're doing exacly.....cause having Ock as a permanent Spider-Man is plain dum.

this.

#4 Posted by animehunter (1893 posts) - - Show Bio

As we know by now Superior Spider-man 20 is when Felicia aka Black Cat enter the picture, unfortunately the cover they showed is a a little unsettling.

But right now we need to think what this might mean in regards to the fact that he no longer has Peter's memories and as I mentioned above, I suspected that they were only accessible when the situation warranted it. In short, as he never met Felicia before he erased Peter's memories he also erased those memories which included everything Peter knew about her and what happened the last time they met.

In which case SpOck, I suspect would only be able to rely on he knew about her and his experience with her when he was Dr. Octopus. I'm not sure about her history with him before he STOLE Peters life, but I gather it wasn't good.

One way he might be able to work around what he doesn't know is if he spoke with Mary Jane. but this would be, I expect, dangerous for him as he would have to risk her being more suspicious of him and wandering why he is asking such questions, and he would also have to answer as to why he was there at the fire of her club rescuing her and others. when he said he will always be there for her. Even though he broke thing off with her.

#5 Posted by saiyan_earthling (5441 posts) - - Show Bio

I wonder if he's gonna get as much laid as Peter Parker was lol

Ok, onto the serious part. IIRC, Doc Ock kidnapped Black Cat one time in an old Spectacular Spider-Man issue, prompting Spider-Man to go save her and stop Ock. And Doc Ock almost got her killed.

So I still wonder if he bears a grudge against her for what happenend in the past, or if he's gonna play along since he's in Parker's body.

Last, but not least, I wonder who'll figure out that the Spider-Man is not Peter Parker besides Carlie Cooper.

#6 Edited by animehunter (1893 posts) - - Show Bio

@saiyan_earthling: Thanks, I found the issues where it happened - Spectacular Spider-man v1 75-79

As for who might be the next person to realise, I'm hoping Mary Jane, considering what she went through in issue 10, but the way Slott is writing her, not sure.

Black Cat could be a possibility, depending on how her interaction with SpOCk goes, but as she never knew the man under the mask might be more of a what going with you than who are you really.

#7 Edited by saiyan_earthling (5441 posts) - - Show Bio

@animehunter said:

@saiyan_earthling: Thanks, I found the issues where tit happened Spectacular Spider-man v1 75-79

As for who might be the next person to realise, I'm hoping Mary Jane, considering what she went through in issue 10, but the way Slott is writing her, not sure.

Black Cat could be a possibility, depending on how her interaction with SpOCk goes, but as she never knew the man under the mask might be more of a what going with you than who are you really.

You think Silver Sable may find out that it's not the Spider-Man she knew once she comes back?

I also wonder if it's gonna happen like in the What If series: Spider-Man doesn't marry MJ, but Black Cat. Black Cat dies (which I hope wouldn't happen in the main storyline), and starts a relationship with Sable.

#9 Edited by animehunter (1893 posts) - - Show Bio

@saiyan_earthling said:

@animehunter said:

@saiyan_earthling: Thanks, I found the issues where tit happened Spectacular Spider-man v1 75-79

You think Silver Sable may find out that it's not the Spider-Man she knew once she comes back?

I also wonder if it's gonna happen like in the What If series: Spider-Man doesn't marry MJ, but Black Cat. Black Cat dies (which I hope wouldn't happen in the main storyline), and starts a relationship with Sable.

That's what I'm hoping. but it won't be for while I'd say another year before we see her return. I have this idea that she is watching what's going on with him from behind the scenes, but not being able to do anything about it, as she has no proof or hasn't yet realised what's really going on.

As for her marrying Spider-man I don't think that would be in the cards. Even though honestly I always felt she is the perfect partner for him - Spider-man/Peter Parker

#10 Edited by captain_oblivious (102 posts) - - Show Bio

@animehunter: I don't see how the writers can say SpOck erased Parker's memories and still have SpOck be a hero. The whole point of him receiving Parker's memories was to understand what the great power/great responsibility schtick was. With the memories gone and Ock relying on his memories of what he received will be distorted, kind of like when oral communication gets repeated to others parts of it get changed. Though he's met a bunch of people in his brief time with Parker's memories, there's plenty of people he hasn't met who will know there's something wrong immediately. Flash Thompson- I doubt Ock would care to know about Spidey's fan clubs. Kraven? I'm sure if they were to fight he would know this isn't the same person and I don't think Ock knows about being "killed" by him. And then there's Green Goblin and the rest of the Osbornes and if they ever get their old memories back.

#12 Posted by animehunter (1893 posts) - - Show Bio

@captain_oblivious: That's why I hypothesised that Peters memories were only accessible depending on the situation he was in, like how he found out that Peter never got his Doctorate. Which led to my hypothesis that he never had immediate access to those memories, he had to consciously look for the information in order to make use of it and now that he no longer has that ability, as he also erased the memories from the Golden Bot as well, he can only work what what he previously experience during that time.

To explain he still has those memories concerning the people he met, to an extent, because I don't think he had everything Peter knew about them unless he needed the information. and example of this is Mary Jane, he kept thinking about her, which allowed him to know a lot of what Peter knew about Mary Jane and therefore allowed him to answer a lot of questions she asked, but now that he not longer has those, he is severing all ties with her to lessen the risk of him being discovered. Like he did in Superior Spider-Man #2 & #10

in short, he still has what he accessed about the people he met, but lost all other information regarding them as well as of people he has yet to meet from Peters life.

#13 Posted by PunyParker (9869 posts) - - Show Bio

MJ is out of character,with Slott's writing....she really is "forcing" herself not to understand the person she is most close to...that he took a 180 turn......and that's irritating,at least.

#14 Posted by Baron_BJ (120 posts) - - Show Bio

What you've mentioned seems to be how Slott wants it to be going forward, but it directly contradicts what happened in #700, where Otto directly experienced all of Peter's memories and that's what made him a new man, after that issue Otto had his new demeanor that came about from experiencing the memories but somehow had to access them through the filing system that you've outlined.

The problem is that it makes no real sense when any thought is put into it at all. Even discounting that this sort of story has inherent problems due to the fact that it doesn't mesh with already existing scientific knowledge. This might work if the old concept of the Tabula Rasa ("blank slate", the idea that everybody is born entirely blank, basically that there is no nature over nurture, only nurture), but this concept simply isn't true when we've proven that a person's basic personality is essentially hard coded, it's inherent to their mind and merely shaped by their experiences. Short of a literal brain transplant all that could happen if we applied the "science" of this concept to the real world would be that Otto's experiences were added atop Peter's with the idea that he is truly Otto (except it actually wouldn't be, since it's Peter's mind with a layer of Otto draped over it, this would ultimately leave Peter as the "dominant personality"), being Peter's mind, with Peter's thoughts he would most likely have simply rejected the idea that he was Otto and sought out help, not embraced them and gone completely insane. Some will say to me "Suspend your disbelief", but I'll tell your to kiss my ****, Suspension of disbelief allows me to ignore minor scientific intricacies that have yet to be discovered (like in Star Trek Next Gen, whenever they need to explain something 9/10 they'll say/use "Multi-modal Reflection Sorting" to help solve the problem), they allow me to ignore the completely skewed timeline caused by writing over 50 years of stories (According to Marvel Pete's been Spider-Man for only 10 years, yes I'm aware that makes no sense whatsoever, but going by that logic the stories written in the 70's/80's should have people using mobile phones and the like, but my suspension of disbelief allows for me to live with that due to the circumstances), it does NOT allow me to buy into things that we already know wouldn't work that way simply because the writer didn't think to do at least a google search beforehand (and when you've made the principle characters scientists it only draws attention to the problem).

Having said all that I'll still say that I'm having a good time reading Superior Spider-Man but this still irritates me to no end

PS. I hope that made at least some sense, when I rant I find that I ramble incoherently.

#15 Posted by PunyParker (9869 posts) - - Show Bio
#16 Edited by Ninjablade09 (3148 posts) - - Show Bio
#17 Posted by spider11211 (1141 posts) - - Show Bio

Slott can brag about writing it all he wants, until he is gone I am not buying it!

#18 Posted by PunyParker (9869 posts) - - Show Bio

@ninjablade09: He is constantly trying to bring down Peter's reputation....i really dont know why(he is Spider-Man's biggest fan,after all.....)
Even the way he wrote Ghost Pete.....noone liked him,he was a whinny kid who wanted back his toy(body) and that was annoying.

#19 Posted by Ninjablade09 (3148 posts) - - Show Bio
#20 Posted by animehunter (1893 posts) - - Show Bio

There was a question asked at the SDCC: Superior Spider-man Panel that sheds some light on the how the memory thing worked

The next fan wanted to know how Doc Ock will now act minus Parker’s memories. Gage explained that while Octavius remembers the memories he investigated, like Aunt May, “Anything he didn’t actively look at he no longer can,” Gage said.

#21 Posted by captain_oblivious (102 posts) - - Show Bio

@animehunter: Well that puts a damper on the brainwashed parker theory. I don't recall Doc Ock having much interactions with Green Goblin. With Osborn wearing the costume and no longer the corporate outfit, I wonder if it's possible he remembers parker is spidey.

#22 Posted by Baron_BJ (120 posts) - - Show Bio

There was a question asked at the SDCC: Superior Spider-man Panel that sheds some light on the how the memory thing worked

The next fan wanted to know how Doc Ock will now act minus Parker’s memories. Gage explained that while Octavius remembers the memories he investigated, like Aunt May, “Anything he didn’t actively look at he no longer can,” Gage said.

Which directly contradicts what happened in #700 where Ock "lived all of Peter's experiences", the very thing that stopped him from being "evil", it was after seeing them he said "I'll be a superior Spider-Man".

I actually like Superior Spider-Man, so the tweet shown earlier hardly applies. I'm lapping this **** up happily and even if I wasn't, that doesn't change that this is a glaring plot hole.

I PRESUME that this is because Slott had to add Ghost Peter into the story (stories vary heavily, some say that other writers that he works with and respects told him that altering the story to include Ghost Peter would make it an easier and more enjoyable transition for the audience, whereas others report that Slott was forced by editorial to add ghost Peter for the aforementioned easier and more enjoyable transition, either way, all sources say that Slott did NOT want Peter to be involved at all) when he had no plans for him and was forced to make some serious alterations to accommodate him. You could remove EVERYTHING having to do with Ghost Peter and you would have lost nothing, in fact, you'd have a stronger story for it.

#23 Posted by PunyParker (9869 posts) - - Show Bio

I like how Slott said,back in January,that "How could we do a Spider-Man comic without Peter Parker??...here he(ghost Pete) is!!".....now nothing....