I think the whole Spider-Man line should get a reboot

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

No Amazing Spiderman reboot, I'm talking about a new fresher and modern take on the series like Ultimate Spiderman but within the 616 continuity as a reset like OMD yet it's a new fresh timeline and reborn world for the series, yes I even think Peter Parker should start all over as a kid again and basically elevate to his legacy all over again, because the current storylines too me are too rehashed and predictable as telling a story about a 30 year veteran and long lasting hero who basically performs ground hogs day on each new arc he starts, also he's become to complex and serious for a family friendly title now. He used to be lighthearted and joyful but is slowly turning into batman lite with these darker stories nowadays. So resetting his orgin life with a brand new title called "Epic Spiderman" should be for the best IMO.

Or at least make him more adaptable beyond the New York limits and Everyman status.

Avatar image for symbioticspider-man
SymbioticSpider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

No

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By magnetic_eye

@jimishim12 said:

No Amazing Spiderman reboot, I'm talking about a new fresher and modern take on the series like Ultimate Spiderman but within the 616 continuity as a reset like OMD yet it's a new fresh timeline and reborn world for the series, yes I even think Peter Parker should start all over as a kid again and basically elevate to his legacy all over again, because the current storylines too me are too rehashed and predictable as telling a story about a 30 year veteran and long lasting hero who basically performs ground hogs day on each new arc he starts, also he's become to complex and serious for a family friendly title now. He used to be lighthearted and joyful but is slowly turning into batman lite with these darker stories nowadays. So resetting his orgin life with a brand new title called "Epic Spiderman" should be for the best IMO.

Or at least make him more adaptable beyond the New York limits and Everyman status.

1. like Ultimate Spiderman but within the 616 continuity

There is absolutely no reason why both continuities should merge. They will remain separate. The 616 Universe contains a mature age Peter Parker who learns that with great power comes great responsibility. Too bad the current Marvel powers would rather have a non progressive philandering buffoon, inept at doing anything amazing, swinging through the pages of ASM.

2. I even think Peter Parker should start all over as a kid again

The Ultimate Spider-Man title already did that. The 616 Universe should rebooted back to its' former glory with competent talented writers who understand the character.

3. because the current storylines too me are too rehashed and predictable as telling a story about a 30 year veteran

rehashed and predictable?........not really; just dumbed down with Saturday morning cartoon dialogue. The current story lines don't even compare to the great stories of yesteryear. How much Vol 1 ASM have you actually read?

4. He used to be lighthearted and joyful

He's currently a feeble smart mouthed goofy clown. With skilled writers, he can still be lighthearted and joyful as well as be represented as he originally was for decades as a 28 year old adult fighting crime with a sense of humor.

5. Or at least make him more adaptable beyond the New York limits and Everyman status.

Spider-Man has ventured beyond the confines of NYC many times over the years, but in essence Spidey belongs in NYC. His everyman status is what makes him relatable to so many people.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for blackspidey2099
blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Please no.

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Transformers1024

Nope. I think they should just give it a rest for a few years. I'm still trying to get over Spider-man 3.

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How about a big honking fuck no.

4U2NV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah!

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, that sounds horrible.

angelalfonso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By angelalfonso

no, the only thing that marvel should should do is erase "brand new day" and maybe "Inferior spider man" out of existence

Anjales_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

@jimishim12: What you're suggesting is even much much worse than OMD. You're basically saying that Marvel should remove all of Spidey's vast 50 year+ history all in an attempt to be more "fresh". At least, OMD wasn't really a full on reboot, as it did preserve 99% of Spidey's history, it just tweaked his relationship with MJ, and even that was met with horrible criticism. While they were no longer in the stories married, their relationship still took place. Now, you're saying to not only erase that relationship but erase everything Spidey ever to did, and start over. They did a similar approach called Ultimate Spider-Man back in 2000 and it still holds up today. Also, while that is an alternate take on the character, for many people, Brian Bendis's Ultimate Spider-Man is the definitive Spider-Man, so there's really no need for it at all.

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@anjales said:

@jimishim12: What you're suggesting is even much much worse than OMD. You're basically saying that Marvel should remove all of Spidey's vast 50 year+ history all in an attempt to be more "fresh". At least, OMD wasn't really a full on reboot, as it did preserve 99% of Spidey's history, it just tweaked his relationship with MJ, and even that was met with horrible criticism. While they were no longer in the stories married, their relationship still took place. Now, you're saying to not only erase that relationship but erase everything Spidey ever to did, and start over. They did a similar approach called Ultimate Spider-Man back in 2000 and it still holds up today. Also, while that is an alternate take on the character, for many people, Brian Bendis's Ultimate Spider-Man is the definitive Spider-Man, so there's really no need for it at all.

Speak for yourself.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Joe Quesada get the hell out of Comic Vine!!!

Spiderman idea was he whould grow up and become a man, like normal people, saddly 12 year old mentally fan base cant deal with this.

If the reboot would be to try to make him grow up, i wouldnt have any problem, but the truth its they would keep him that way forever.

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Interesting argument there friend but I have never been a fan of recon.

I will have to disagree.

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No... I LIKE Garfield and I think it wouldn't be fair to him if he got fired...

I think he can be a great Spidey if he gets the right studio working with him...

Anjales_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@anjales said:

Speak for yourself.

No I'm not. Did you even read my comment? I said "many people", not everyone. And it's true, many people consider Ultimate Peter to be the definitive version of the character, because most younger readers had that version of the character, which was contemporary for their time. It's not the case for you so be it, but that's how a lot of people see it. BMB was voted as the top Spidery writer of all time, despite the fact that he never had a run on his main title, and that is very telling.

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

nope

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A lot of people don't realize, Spidey isn't just for die hard vets who value their Spidey from personal growth, but as a timeless icon is for new readership which in context exploits the begining journey of the hero and the correlation towards the audiences. Kinda like Ash from Pokémon.

Avatar image for blackspidey2099
blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A lot of people don't realize, Spidey isn't just for die hard vets who value their Spidey from personal growth, but as a timeless icon is for new readership which in context exploits the begining journey of the hero and the correlation towards the audiences. Kinda like Ash from Pokémon.

Well, Spidey isn't just for the new readership either. I don't understand the point of a reboot. If they want to experience the growth of Peter, they can just get a Marvel Unlimited subscription (for only $10 per month) and get access to the entire run of comics he has been in. I enjoyed binging on the comics (when I first started) far more than I would have if I was forced to wait two weeks for every new chapter in the saga.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By magnetic_eye

When I was a kid I read about an "Amazing Spider-Man" that was well into adulthood and I also began collecting the earlier (high school) issues which I really love too. As a 10 year old kid back then I had no problem relating to an adult Spider-Man. Who would've ever thought they would regress Peter back to a younger not so competent fool in the the current pages of ASM?

When the "Ultimate Spider-Man" title came out in 2000, it filled the gap for those wanting an alternate retelling of a younger Spidey and Brian Michael Bendis has done an amazing job. I really enjoy those stories too.

Therefore, I really don't get why some people want the "Amazing Spider-Man" to stay with a regressive younger immature Peter Parker or completely reboot back to High School. That logic doesn't make sense considering the title started out about a teenager gifted with super powers, learning that with great power came great responsibility, becoming a man and moving forward into adulthood through victories, trials and tribulation.

90% of the "Amazing Spider-Man" title has been about a super hero in adulthood. Could you imagine if DC turned around and regressed "Detective Comics & "Batman" into "Junior Detective" & "Batboy"? Incomprehensible! and yet Spider-Man has become Marvel's rodeo clown.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh. It would be interesting, but I doubt they would make that their mainstream Spider. If they ever did do such a thing, it would be an alternate Earth, but I think it would be kind of cool if they let someone rebuild Spidey from the ground up, (though keeping key elements intact.) Maybe give the project to some young, up and coming artist/artist and writer team.

inkBot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, for the simple reason that we'd have to sit through the damn origin story all over again.

Avatar image for dathomiesilversurfer
DatHomieSilverSurfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@anjales said:

Speak for yourself.

dude, the first hundred issues of ultimate spider-man were incredible, and most definitely a definitive version of Peter (IMO). With those issues, Bendis managed to capture all the personality quirks and motivations that make Peter the superstar character he is while also updating and revamping characters for a modern audience while still capturing their essence.

In my defense, I also consider ASM issues 1-150 as must reads for a spider-man fan, and read in tandem with USM 1-100 really makes me hate how current Peter has turned out (a pathetic, incompetent, sycophantic man-child)

Valkeerie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Has Spider-Man ever had time travel related stories? He could have one similar to Wolverine's in Days of Future Past, by being in the present and the past at the same time, and deciding the course of history until he snaps back to his present time with changed history. I think I read one issue about his future where he died with some Spider-Man trench coat tailored for him. He went through some events in the past and was struggling to decide the course of things.

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope for the day when the JMS or DM Dements version of Spider-Man returns to forms over that crappy version of Slott. As to the Ultimate version I lost all respect when Bendis decided to turn Spider-Man into an immortal and I will still say it again Hell no to a freaking reboot keep that kind of crap in DC.

darklordx123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

If something like this were to happen, I'd prefer it if he wasn't a kid again. That's what the Ultimate comics are for. I'd like it if he were fresh out of college with his PhD starting up Parker Industries.

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Zarius

@anjales said:

@jimishim12: What you're suggesting is even much much worse than OMD. You're basically saying that Marvel should remove all of Spidey's vast 50 year+ history all in an attempt to be more "fresh". At least, OMD wasn't really a full on reboot, as it did preserve 99% of Spidey's history, it just tweaked his relationship with MJ, and even that was met with horrible criticism. While they were no longer in the stories married, their relationship still took place.

99% of Spidey's history was not preserved though. The sliding time scale apparently claims everything started in 2001 (Peter was a guest on Johnny Carson once...and Carson had long retired by 2001 and was dead by 2005) and MJ evidently wasn't pregnant with Mayday in the new reality, so their relationship in the altered reality lacked the consistency and maturity of what had come before. It was not the same, because if it were, the pair would never have seperated after Civil War and would have ended up having the kid Mephisto claimed their relationship would have produced had it not been sacrificed

Fans can deny as much as they want to stay reasonably sane, but eventually you're going to have to admit continuity and consistency-of-character got royally short-changed by OMD and the criticisms were valid. Mephistoverse Peter and MJ, if kept in-character, would not be acting like they are now

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

It looks like your wish will be granted if this Secret Wars turns out to be a reboot.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

#28  Edited By PunyParker

Just change the writer.

Anjales_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zarius said:

@anjales said:

@jimishim12: What you're suggesting is even much much worse than OMD. You're basically saying that Marvel should remove all of Spidey's vast 50 year+ history all in an attempt to be more "fresh". At least, OMD wasn't really a full on reboot, as it did preserve 99% of Spidey's history, it just tweaked his relationship with MJ, and even that was met with horrible criticism. While they were no longer in the stories married, their relationship still took place.

99% of Spidey's history was not preserved though. The sliding time scale apparently claims everything started in 2001 (Peter was a guest on Johnny Carson once...and Carson had long retired by 2001 and was dead by 2005) and MJ evidently wasn't pregnant with Mayday in the new reality, so their relationship in the altered reality lacked the consistency and maturity of what had come before. It was not the same, because if it were, the pair would never have seperated after Civil War and would have ended up having the kid Mephisto claimed their relationship would have produced had it not been sacrificed

Fans can deny as much as they want to stay reasonably sane, but eventually you're going to have to admit continuity and consistency-of-character got royally short-changed by OMD and the criticisms were valid. Mephistoverse Peter and MJ, if kept in-character, would not be acting like they are now

Okay a few things. r

Firstly, almost every meaningful encounter Spidey has ever had in his 50+ existence has been referenced, whether it is the encounter in the elevator with the F4, the boy who collected Spider-Man, stopping Doc Ock from marrying Aunt May, fighting Kraven right after Peter and MJ got married/moved in together, Venom spooking MJ and causing her to be afraid of the Black Suit, among others..all these events have taken place and have been referenced. And while the current stories reference current events, so did stories in the 60's and 70's. In 2008, Spidey was around during President Obama's inauguration, but a few years from now, that'll be date. The appearance on Johnny Carson is simply another instance of something being common at the time, but is currently dated. Continuity does not move in one single scale, certain events simply fit with the time but without aging the character. Spidey will always be in his 20's, and referencing Johnny Carson would make him much older than that.

Also, the events you just listed only form a small fraction of Spidey's vast history, and if you truly think that those truly contribute to the character's overall development, then you are mistaken. As harsh as I may sound, let's not pretend that MJ's pregnancy contributed much to the Spidey mythos. It didn't. Let's go back to that time period for a bit. Marvel was trying to do what OMD did, get a single Spider-Man. But instead of a deal with Mephisto, Ben Reilly was brought back, Mj got pregnant, Peter decides to retire the SM mantle, and at one point he also lost his powers, and they moved out of New York, and Ben Reilly became Marvel's one and only Spider-Man. That is until Marvel decided to bring back Peter, so they killed Ben, they killed May (Peter and MJ's daughter) off panel in unceremonious fashion, and Pete was back as Spidey. And outside of the direct aftermath of that story, May was never mentioned again in the main continuity. So to say MJ's preganancy provided them with character deveopment is mistaken.

As for MJ and Peter giving up on their relationship, this was simply a poor written story where both acted out of character. It was PIS to serve the purpose of having Peter single again. The PIS sucks but it doesn't mean that because of that ill written story the entire continuity is now removed. The only thing that change is they exchanged "we're married" with "we're in a long term relationship". It's dumb but that's what happened. For example, Kraven's Last Hunt took place immediately after Peter and MJ got married in the story. Post-OMD, when Peter was referencing that story, Peter said something along the lines of "I fought Kraven right after MJ and I moved in together" instead of "right after we got married", but that's it. Everything else was kept in tact.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think what people wants to ignore with this Spiderman should always be a teen its the fact, most of Spiderman life has happened outside his teen years.

Spiderman was about growing up and becoming a man, the main problem its the whole fact Spiderman is being play as a teen in everything they have a chance to put him in, this under the idea teens and childrens are the biggest market.

There is a reason why is he called SpiderMan and not SpiderBoy.

Using Ash from Pokemon its a terrible example since Ash isnt Peter Parker and is getting younger, he was taller and older looking in the first seasons, also look at his first friends, now they are older that him.

Marvel made the mistake to think that SpiderMan was the important, then kicked Peter Parker out.

They failed with this SpiderMan that was the SpiderMan they wish, of course people has to blame the fact he was too old and the fact Marvel didnt sold him enough as SpiderMan.

The Terrible truth having Peter Parker DNA doesnt make you Peter Parker, neither having the same villains or having the same costume.

Peter Parker is the important part and his trip into becoming a better man and maybe something more.