How good is Ultimate Spider-Man (the comic book series)

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

I'm contemplating starting the original Bendis run on Ultimate Spider-Man (2000). I haven't followed Spider-Man comics for years.

Here's basically my Spidey background:

• As a kid, I picked up a couple volumes of Lee & Ditko's Marvel Masterworks. I think I read something like the first 24 issues and a couple annuals and loved it. Absolutely loved it. I still have a warm place in my heart for those early Spider-Man classics.

• After that, I read some random collections from the 70's and 80's. I think I read this long story about him when he had the black suit, before Venom actually shows up.

• In the 90's when I was really getting into comics, the infamous clone war saga was in full swing. Couldn't get into it. I dipped my toe in it briefly, was wildly confused, and didn't bother with Spider-Man again.

• Since then, I haven't read much. I've gravitated more to DC heroes, and I'm just now coming back and exploring Marvel some more. I will say that I did read the first three issues of Avenging Spider-Man for Joe Mad's contribution alone. Thought it was fun for what it was.

I've heard Ultimate returns more to the classic roots, while giving it a modern sheen. What do you guys think? Is it worth reading? It's quite an investment of time, since it's well over 100 issues.

noj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

Ultimate Spider-Man is awesome especially the early arcs. It loses a bit of steam about 3/4 of the way through but really picks up for the final 10 or so issues. After issue 160 however it becomes a completely different book that I personally dislike. Ill refrain from mentioning what happens on the off chance you havent been spoiled yet, but when it relaunched Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man in 2011 I lost all interest.

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

@reignmaker: I think it is well worth your time. It was very good. I had started reading in 2010. I read the first two arcs and I loved them. It was funny, and it was back to the roots of classic Spidey with a modern twist. The book has actually heavily inspired the Amazing Spider-man movie.

TrueMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Best spiderman book currently in comics right now

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

yes you should definitely read Ultimate Spider-man....it's worth reading it twice because once you know what happens and you read it again the book takes on a whole other tone

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It is fantastic. It's basically the best modern retelling of Spider-Man as a teen, with interesting twists to show the differences in the 21st century. You can try purchasing the Ultimate Collections, I believe they're cheaper, and easier to read as well since they collect a good twelve or so issues each.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By PunyParker

The best Spider-Man series ever written.....you wanna know and love web head,check it out.

Avatar image for spidermonkey2099
spidermonkey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 16

Ultimate Spider-Man is one of my favorite Spider-Man runs. Definitely worth checking out.

Xeno_Seeker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Xeno_Seeker

The best Spider-Man series ever written.....you wanna know and love web head,check it out.

agreed.

there's tons of emotion between mj and peter early on in the series that i've never seen done so well. it reminded me of high school crushes etc..

Avatar image for deactivated-60600b79ed2c5
deactivated-60600b79ed2c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

Its pretty good actually, in fact, i like more some Ultimate Spidey stories than some of the Amazing continuity

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

@punyparker said:

agreed.

there's tons of emotion between mj and peter early on in the series that i've never seen done so well. it reminded me of high school crushes etc..

It feels real,and Bendis nails it.....he made his name from it!

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#12  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

It's some of the best Spider-Man stuff out there