How does Ben Reilly differ from Peter Parker?

Anjales_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

Personality and character wise, outside of the blonde hair, spider-sense immunity to symbiotes and Impact Webbing, what does truly make Ben that different from Peter? We know they have the same wit and sense of responsibility but what makes Ben different? I'm asking because Ben is set to star in Scarlet Spiders, where he teams up with Kaine and Ultimate Jessica Drew, and I was thinking about the dynamic between the three. Will it be the same if it was Peter in Ben's place, or besides the complex Ben/Kaine relationship, will Ben bring something different to the table?

Avatar image for symbioticspider-man
SymbioticSpider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

A different costume.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#3  Edited By Strider1992

Ben is what Peter was before the weight of being Spider-man became a burden. Peter currently is Spider-man because he feels he has to be to protect everyone. Ben on the other hand never experienced the Death Of Gwen Stacy or her father etc..... Ben was Spider-man not only because he promised "his" uncle but because he still loved being Spider-man. When Silver Sable and Sandman attacked Ben because Sable wanted to be sure he could be as much of an asset to her as Peter was, she noted that he lacked the same amount of experience as Peter but was to quote her "almost joyous".

So to sum up your question: Ben is what Peter was before being Spider-man became more of a curse than a gift. Hence why he has quite a lot of fans.

Avatar image for symbioticspider-man
SymbioticSpider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

^that too

Anjales_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@strider92: Interesting, a Spider-Man who never experienced so much death... One question though, didn't the story known as The Original Clone Saga take place after the Death of Gwen Stacy, and so, doesn't Ben possess the same memories as Peter, including the deaths of the Stacys, and he remembers them as his own memories?

I_NEED_A_HORSE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By I_NEED_A_HORSE

I think Venom can trigger Ben's spider sense because he never bonded to the symbiote like Peter did.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

@anjales said:

@strider92: Interesting, a Spider-Man who never experienced so much death... One question though, didn't the story known as The Original Clone Saga take place after the Death of Gwen Stacy, and so, doesn't Ben possess the same memories as Peter, including the deaths of the Stacys, and he remembers them as his own memories?

The story itself does take place after Gwen died yes however the DNA samples that the Jackal collected of both Peter and Gwen was when they were in college together which was of course pre Gwen dying thus Ben only has the memories of Pete's time from high school to college. Everything after that never happened to Ben. Hence why he never fell in love with MJ because Pete and MJ's bonding moment was Gwen's death.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Ben is dead.

angelalfonso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By angelalfonso

@deathpoolthet1000: he is in the 616 universe, but he is very alive in a few other universes. like the one we are seeing on spider verse or the one that took Peter's place as Peter because Peter died.

and, why do you have Peñan Nieto with vegeta's face as your avatar?

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathpoolthet1000: he is in the 616 universe, but he is very alive in a few other universes. like the one we are seeing on spider verse or the one that took Peter's place as Peter because Peter died.

and, why do you have Peñan Nieto with vegeta's face as your avatar?

It was a joke.

Because he its the current President and i think Vegeta would be better at that job, like, waaaaaay better.

Anjales_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@strider92: hmm very interesting. What are some instances where this difference really shined? I mean was there any instance where, because of Ben's difference from Peter, he handled something in a way much different than Peter?

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

@anjales: Ben has all of Pete's memories so I'm not sure how much those differences matter.

Anjales_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@strider92:@avenging_x_bolt: How ironic that a recent issue just answered my questions and not only did it show the difference in personality but it also showed how that personality in application. @strider92 you hit the nail on the head with your explanation, good job dude!