• 74 results
#1 Edited by jointron33 (1902 posts) - - Show Bio

That's the tone I get when glancing back at old Mcfarlane issues. No, not in the stock,Frank Miller-esque "My city is a WHORE. She SLEEPS with the FARMERS of the SEEDS of EVIL" way, but more so in the tone, environment, and how the villains are portrayed.

For instance, I read in a forum where a fan was describing how HE perceived some of the bizarre, "spider-like" poses that Mcfarlane would draw Spidey in. His words were basically, "In a dark city at night time, the last thing a criminal wants to see is some creepy dude in a big-eyed mask, striking a strange pose whilst slinking down a gigantic spider web". Think about it. This guy is apparently a human spider. Spiders are scary, and this dude has human intelligence, whilst being in a dark alley stalking criminals in New York. And to make it not seem scary, and yet at the same time make it scarier, is that as he crawls down his web, he taunts you with "yo mama" jokes and makes fun of your weird hairstyle. Playing with his prey, much like a real spider, you don't know if the guy is gonna kill you or randomly fart and laugh about it.

Then there's some of his villains. The goblins, the symbiotes, Kraven, Lizard, Morbius, and Chameleon. These guys could ALL be made scary, quite easily in fact.

So is the creepy tone too dark and Batman-esque for Spidey?

#2 Posted by Guardian_of_Gravity (2979 posts) - - Show Bio

Could it be done? Yes

Should it be done? No.

#3 Posted by Spideysense44 (3372 posts) - - Show Bio

It could but should not

#4 Posted by PunyParker (9697 posts) - - Show Bio

@jointron33: Nothing against MacFarlane but his Spider-Man produced TOO much webbing for a single swing and he should have seen a chiropractor for his hands and legs.....

#5 Posted by Strider92 (16265 posts) - - Show Bio
#6 Posted by TheHulk (799 posts) - - Show Bio

Hulk not so sure. When Hulk was watching Amazing Spider-Man, Hulk was like, "Jeez, do you need to be so dark. This isn't Titanic or Dear John. It's freaking Spiderman. Lighten up a little."

#7 Edited by MaccyD (3965 posts) - - Show Bio

Isn't that what the other Spider-family books are for?

#8 Posted by JetiiMitra (8511 posts) - - Show Bio

For no more than a few arcs at a time. I think that would have been the direction if OMD never happened.

#9 Posted by jointron33 (1902 posts) - - Show Bio
#10 Posted by jointron33 (1902 posts) - - Show Bio
#11 Posted by MaccyD (3965 posts) - - Show Bio

@jointron33: Aren't Venom/Carnage/Scarlet's series meant to be a darker/anti-hero versions of spiderman?

#12 Posted by jointron33 (1902 posts) - - Show Bio

@maccyd: I'm not saying that Spidey himself would be dark, but a bit of a darker world around him

#13 Posted by spider11211 (1141 posts) - - Show Bio

Sometimes we use comics to escape the real world do we need to dive into another dark world? Sometimes it is nice to have something a little lighter.

#14 Posted by jointron33 (1902 posts) - - Show Bio
#15 Edited by spider11211 (1141 posts) - - Show Bio

@jointron33: I would like that but we don't have the lighter one as an option right now.

#16 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, there are dark Spider-man stories.

Yes, they are f**king awesome.

#17 Posted by jointron33 (1902 posts) - - Show Bio

@spider11211: we don't have a good one as an option either

#18 Posted by saiyan_earthling (5441 posts) - - Show Bio

Peter's only violent when he gets pissed off, especially when he was beating the hell out of Kingpin one time.

#19 Posted by warlock360 (28050 posts) - - Show Bio

Back in black was awesome for me I don't care what anyone says. I also prefer Ben Railly over Peter Parker.

#20 Edited by jointron33 (1902 posts) - - Show Bio
#21 Posted by saiyan_earthling (5441 posts) - - Show Bio
#22 Edited by RulerOfThisUniverse (6274 posts) - - Show Bio

HAHAHAH! AHAHAhahahaahHHh! HhhahahahhHahaHahHh-hhHHAHAHAHA! HAAhhaaAHHahHh-aahhahhahHaaHA! HAHAHA-hahahaHahaAHAHAAH! HAHAHAHAHhahaahhhaaaaahahahhHaAHHAAHAHhahah! HAHAHahaha! AHAHAHahahahhhhaaahaaahah! hahahaHHahahaHahaahHahaHA! AHahahhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.......

No.

#23 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

It's an interesting idea and has worked in the past before, but that just isn't really Peter's personality, to strike fear into the hearts of criminals like Batman-lite.

#24 Posted by JetiiMitra (8511 posts) - - Show Bio

HAHAHAH! AHAHAhahahaahHHh! HhhahahahhHahaHahHh-hhHHAHAHAHA! HAAhhaaAHHahHh-aahhahhahHaaHA! HAHAHA-hahahaHahaAHAHAAH! HAHAHAHAHhahaahhhaaaaahahahhHaAHHAAHAHhahah! HAHAHahaha! AHAHAHahahahhhhaaahaaahah! hahahaHHahahaHahaahHahaHA! AHahahhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.......

No.

Yes...

#25 Posted by Superguy0009e (2265 posts) - - Show Bio

Could it be done? Yes

Should it be done? No.

Literally exactly what I was going to put.

#26 Posted by w0nd (3268 posts) - - Show Bio

@thehulk said:

Hulk not so sure. When Hulk was watching Amazing Spider-Man, Hulk was like, "Jeez, do you need to be so dark. This isn't Titanic or Dear John. It's freaking Spiderman. Lighten up a little."

there were jokes though but in all fairness his parents left him and his uncle just died lol there's allowed to be sadness in the first movie, but if by the 3rd he is still crying then so help me god

#27 Posted by jointron33 (1902 posts) - - Show Bio
#28 Edited by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

Could it be done? Yes

Should it be done? No.

It could but should not

Spider-man: Death of Jean DeWolffe.

Spider-man: Kraven's Last Hunt.

Spider-man: Back in Black.

Spider-man: Grim Hunt.

You'll notice that these stories, A) exist, and B) are awesome.

#29 Posted by JetiiMitra (8511 posts) - - Show Bio

@innervenom123: Agreed. Maybe it shouldn't be permanent, but for a few arcs? Hell yes. And there's the What if? Spider-man vs Wolverine story too, which I could totally dig as an ongoing.

#30 Posted by MASTER_OF_SUPRISE (578 posts) - - Show Bio

It depends on why it's being dark and how long. You sure as hell don't want to make him like Batman. I prefer him as a more sunny hero as it helps him stand out and makes him more unique.

#31 Posted by TDK_1997 (14686 posts) - - Show Bio

There are gritty Spidy stories and they are awesome.Just look at Grim Hunt,one of the best Spider-Man stories and it is gritty as hell.

#32 Posted by Squalleon (4559 posts) - - Show Bio
#33 Posted by PunyParker (9697 posts) - - Show Bio

@rulerofthisuniverse said:

No.

@guardian_of_gravity said:

Could it be done? Yes

Should it be done? No.

@spideysense44 said:

It could but should not

Spider-man: Death of Jean DeWolffe.

Spider-man: Kraven's Last Hunt.

Spider-man: Back in Black.

Spider-man: Grim Hunt.

You'll notice that these stories, A) exist, and B) are awesome.

#34 Posted by The_Salty_Slaughterer (27 posts) - - Show Bio

Spiderman shouldn't be permanently dark as that's not who he is.

Not without some seriously good character development but such concepts are blasphemy to comic fans.

#35 Posted by jointron33 (1902 posts) - - Show Bio

So today, I was scared utterly crapless by a HUGE black and yellow spider. I do not think I have ever seen a spider that huge, nor have I been that scared in my life. And I'm not even afraid of spiders.

So just imagine how Spidey could play on that fear with criminals, who are known for being a superstitious and cowardly lot!

#36 Posted by Darkseid011 (109 posts) - - Show Bio

Superior spiderman is.

#37 Posted by joshmightbe (24876 posts) - - Show Bio

Love how grim and gritty is considered an adequate replacement for quality.

#38 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

Superior spiderman is.

yup. aint it swell?

#39 Posted by jointron33 (1902 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: love how there are actually people who think that the two are mutually exclusive.

And if you think it's out of character, remember that Peter never truly matures anyway, and fans like him that way. Why else would they complain about the marriage, which was, ya know, character development!

#40 Edited by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: love how there are actually people who think that the two are mutually exclusive.

And if you think it's out of character, remember that Peter never truly matures anyway, and fans like him that way. Why else would they complain about the marriage, which was, ya know, character development!

Fans didn't complain about the marriage. It was retconned because Joe Quesada is an idiot.

#41 Posted by The_Titan_Lord (5204 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes he can be.

#42 Posted by jointron33 (1902 posts) - - Show Bio

@peppeyhare: fans didn't complain?

#43 Posted by joshmightbe (24876 posts) - - Show Bio

@jointron33: Didn't say it was out of character I just don't see how it would improve the character.

#44 Posted by joshmightbe (24876 posts) - - Show Bio
#45 Edited by 8008S (452 posts) - - Show Bio

I know many people hated the unmasking, but personally I would've liked to see Pete deal with the consequences of his post-Civil War status quo for a bit longer. The psychic blindspot, as silly as it was, could've been introduced anyway without OMD, considering that part had nothing to do with the deal with Mephisto per se (or maybe Mephisto empowered Strange and Stark in order to make it work?).

#46 Posted by JetiiMitra (8511 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh, hey. I was going to type an answer when I realized I already had.

@mitran said:

For no more than a few arcs at a time. I think that would have been the direction if OMD never happened.

If 616, it's fun for a bit, but that isn't his character. If not 616, I would completely love an ongoing.

#47 Edited by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

@peppeyhare: fans didn't complain?

Yes everybody hated the marriage. That explains the huge backlash towards OMD and the retcon in general

#48 Posted by Skyfire (726 posts) - - Show Bio

If done right they are great stories.

But then again you could end up with the likes of Reign.

#49 Posted by jointron33 (1902 posts) - - Show Bio

@skyfire: was that the piece of crap DKR ripoff?

#50 Edited by TheAcidSkull (18010 posts) - - Show Bio

if done well yes, but it should be for an arc or so. no more than.