Better films? Original Spiderman trilogy or Amazing Spiderman?

• 52 results
Godric_Talon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Edited By Godric_Talon

Poll Better films? Original Spiderman trilogy or Amazing Spiderman? (61 votes)

The Amazing Spiderman 41%
Spider-Man 1,2 and 3 61%

Personally I like the way they portray Peter Parker as a character and as Spiderman in the new reboot but I have a bias opinion since I hate the original trilogy anyways.

• 
Commander_Kane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

They were both great in their own ways, I enjoyed both adaptations. But these movies shouldn't be compared until we atleast see the second one.

Avatar image for deactivated-60600b79ed2c5
deactivated-60600b79ed2c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

I was gonna say the original ones, but then i remembered that Spider Man 3 is out there. So i vote for TASM

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

Spider-Man 1,2 AND 3 Vs One Spider-Man film?....sorry,bud,that isnt fair competition,im not voting...

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

Spider Man 2 > TASM > Spider Man >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Spider man 3

I voted for The Amazing Spiderman in the poll because I'm more excited for the franchise going forward than I was about the previous one.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#5  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

Well at this point we can really only compare Amazing Spider-Man and Spider-Man 1, seems a bit unfair to compare ALL three Spider-Man movies to the single ASM.

But overall I enjoyed Amazing Spider-Man's take on a younger Peter Parker who is both funny and smart. I liked Gwen Stacy more as a love interest rather than Mary Jane, as Gwen was someone who could actually help Peter as she was just as smart as he was, unlike MJ who literally for three movies would just complain about about how Peter was saving lives all the time.

One thing that I liked in Spider-Man 1 that I didn't like in ASM1 was Uncle Ben's death, in SM 1 it felt more meaningful as we actually saw Ben's killer run past Peter, who let him escape, and even having the killer thank Peter for letting him escape. This lead to the killer trying to steal a car, which happened to be Uncle Ben's, only for Ben to get shot thus causing Peter to become Spider-Man to avenge his uncle. This felt much more emotional and way more believable than Uncle Ben's death in ASM.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@war_killer: See. I preferred how TASM did it. Mostly because in Spider Man 1 he ends up getting revenge for Ben's death by catching the guy (even though SM3 retconned it....)

Whereas in TASM - while he starts out only looking for Uncle Ben's killer - he never does. He is able to find closure even without finding the guy because he realizes saving people's lives is doing more for Uncle Ben's memory than catching the killer ever could.

I thought it was waaaay more meaningful.

Avatar image for thetimestreamer
theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By theTimeStreamer

each individual spider-man movie is better than ASM. even 3. a couple of quips and people expect me to roll over and beg for more..... pfff.

theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By theTimeStreamer

@fallschirmjager: yeah. let the killer get away. his mind shall be forever tormented. and by the way, unless you didnt know, he catches the guy in the comics. so yeah.

novi_homines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ahhh, I remember my noob days when I made a thread like this, and was completely unaware at the time that it had to have been done a countless number of times.

But on the question. TAMS is superior in nearly every way. Spiderman 2 is still the best spiderman film, but I feel its only a matter of time before either TASM2 or TASM3 surpasses it. Because TASM was superior than both Spiderman 1 and 3. At least in my opinion.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@thetimestreamer: I'm not even sure why I am bothering to respond based on what you said but here goes.

Revenge is quite possibly the most shallow emotion and worst reason for doing anything. It has little to no meaning other than personal gratification. Superheroes are suppose to stand for more than that.

Peter shows growth in TASM. He initially wants revenge for Ben's death. But he able to overcome that shallow emotion and realize he's destined for bigger things. Its more important to help everyone than it is to be selfish and seek out revenge. He's doing more for Uncle Ben's memory by not being selfish.

I can't actually believe anyone would think otherwise.

But the fact that you think SM3 is better than TASM pretty much says all I need to know. You probably should take off the nostalgia color glasses.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallschirmjager: I'm not even sure why I am bothering to respond based on what you said but here goes. he lets the cops have the guy. so bringing the guy that killed someone to justice is revenge and wrong? i think i'm done here. nothing can be gained. only lost.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thetimestreamer: You still don't get it

Catching Ben's killer is irrelevant.

As long Peter does everything he can to help everyone he's doing more for Ben's memory than he ever could only seeking revenge.

Did you even watch the movie? When Peter goes to Gwen's house and starts bragging about Spiderman to her dad, her dad points out the fact that Spiderman had only been seeking out one type of dude and that his actions were that of a revenge-seeking vigilante. This opens Peters eyes to the fact that he was being selfish.

Later of course, he saves the little boy and returns him to a grateful and tearful Father and he realizes it doesn't matter if he catches Ben's Killer or not when so many more people need his help. Helping others is more important than helping himself. Maybe he'll catch the dude one day, maybe he won't. Its irrelevant as long as he keeps saving people.

theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallschirmjager: idk why i'm still indulging this but what about may? wouldnt she want the that guy that killed her husband be brought to justice? what about her?

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@war_killer: See. I preferred how TASM did it. Mostly because in Spider Man 1 he ends up getting revenge for Ben's death by catching the guy (even though SM3 retconned it....)

Whereas in TASM - while he starts out only looking for Uncle Ben's killer - he never does. He is able to find closure even without finding the guy because he realizes saving people's lives is doing more for Uncle Ben's memory than catching the killer ever could.

I didn't have issues with what happened after Uncle Ben's death, what I didn't like in ASM was what lead up to Uncle Ben's death. Where how in SM1 the thief literally runs by Peter, giving him a chance to stop him. But in AMS the thief is literally running in the opposite direction, and Peter is already walking in the other direction, the owner of the store runs out and asks Peter, a 17-18 year old kid, to literally chase down a thief on foot, which Peter has no obligations to do, powers or no powers. The scene in SM1 was simply more believable than it was in ASM.

novi_homines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By novi_homines

@war_killer said:
@fallschirmjager said:

I didn't have issues with what happened after Uncle Ben's death, what I didn't like in ASM was what lead up to Uncle Ben's death. Where how in SM1 the thief literally runs by Peter, giving him a chance to stop him. But in AMS the thief is literally running in the opposite direction, and Peter is already walking in the other direction, the owner of the store runs out and asks Peter, a 17-18 year old kid, to literally chase down a thief on foot, which Peter has no obligations to do, powers or no powers. The scene in SM1 was simply more believable than it was in ASM.

You're so wrong on this. It was done almost exactly the same.

In TASM -Peter was mad at the clerk for not allowing him to by the drink while down 2 pennies.

In Spiderman 1 - Peter was mad about the wrestling organizer for not giving him his full share.

In TASM - The robber stole money from the clerk

In Spiderman 1- The robber stole money from the wrestling organizer

In TASM - Peter saw him stealing and let him get away with it.

In Spiderman 1 - Peter saw him running with the money and let him get away.

In TASM he was rigt there next to him. He saw him taking money from the register. He could've stopped him in that film as well. For you to say one did the initial encounter better than the other, even though they were almost exactly the same, doesn't make much sense.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

@novi_homines said:

@war_killer said:
@fallschirmjager said:

In TASM -Peter was mad at the clerk for not allowing him to by the drink while down 2 pennies.

In Spiderman 1 - Peter was mad about the wrestling organizer for not giving him his full share.

For you to say one did it better than the other, even though they were almost exactly the same, doesn't make much sense.

There's still one big difference.

In SM1, the thief ran right past Peter, which would have been a perfect place to trip the guy or close-line him or something. Peter was about 18-19 here and at this point had already wrestled a big guy in the ring, the guy who ripped Peter off even makes a comment about how Peter could have taken the thief apart. So having Peter stop the thief here is much more believable as Peter was given the opportunity and had already shown he had the ability to do so.

But in ASM, the thief is already running down the street in the completely other direction, whereas Peter is walking in the opposite direction. The owner of the store comes out and asks Peter, a 16-17 year old kid, to help catch a thief. This owner doesn't know Peter has powers, so the fact that he asks some random kid to help catch a criminal is dumb because, powers or not, Peter wasn't under any obligations to chase down a criminal on foot. He wasn't a cop or even a superhero, he was just a kid minding his own business. This is what I found less believable or even realistic, and thus why I like the version in SM1 more.

I enjoyed Amazing Spider-Man and liked it far more than the original, but I still had issues with this scene.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By cattlebattle

I liked ASM. I think it was a better modernization of the character and definitely had better casting. Its hard to compare it to the Raimi trilogy because its one movie, one movie that had important parts cut out of it, lol.

Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Easily 1 and 2

Avatar image for master_of_suprise
MASTER_OF_SUPRISE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

I think it's still too soon to decide. Now comparing it to the first Spider-Man movie I liked the original one better. There were some glaring flaws in TASM. The main one being I had no believe that TASM's Peter was a geek or social outcast. I'm sorry but that was not portrayed very well IMO. I felt more like he was more or less just a loner. I am however glad to see Spidey cracking a few more jokes. All in all I still enjoyed both the Original and the Reboot. I just like the Original slightly more.

kriminal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

asm sucked in my opinion. mostly because it bored me. the acting was great but I thought the script was too bad for it to matter. I also thought spidey was a sissy. he got his ass kicked the whole time. he didn't even beat the lizard on his own. aunt may was a horrible casting. uncle ben's death was poorly done. flash turned into a good guy for no reason. I hated costume designs for him and lizard. too much of a love story, not enough spider-man. they ruined the great power comes great responsibility line. I am a huge spider-man fan and was let down more with what they did to spider-man than looking at it from a movie stand point. captain America nailed steve rogers even though the movie could have been better, but I enjoyed the movie because that was the cap I always wanted

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

Right now The Spiderman trilogy.
But if ASM2 is good i will have to rethink the situation.

novi_homines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By novi_homines

@war_killer said:

@novi_homines said:

@war_killer said:
@fallschirmjager said:

For you to say one did it better than the other, even though they were almost exactly the same, doesn't make much sense.

There's still one big difference.

In SM1, the thief ran right past Peter, which would have been a perfect place to trip the guy or close-line him or something. Peter was about 18-19 here and at this point had already wrestled a big guy in the ring, the guy who ripped Peter off even makes a comment about how Peter could have taken the thief apart. So having Peter stop the thief here is much more believable as Peter was given the opportunity and had already shown he had the ability to do so.

But in ASM, the thief is already running down the street in the completely other direction, whereas Peter is walking in the opposite direction. The owner of the store comes out and asks Peter, a 16-17 year old kid, to help catch a thief. This owner doesn't know Peter has powers, so the fact that he asks some random kid to help catch a criminal is dumb because, powers or not, Peter wasn't under any obligations to chase down a criminal on foot. He wasn't a cop or even a superhero, he was just a kid minding his own business. This is what I found less believable or even realistic, and thus why I like the version in SM1 more.

I enjoyed Amazing Spider-Man and liked it far more than the original, but I still had issues with this scene.

Peter was in the store when he was stealing the cash. He watched him steal it, and the thief even tossed him the drink he wanted while he was stealing the cash. As peter watched. Again, peter was in the store with him watching him steal.

He could've stopped him. He was right there watching him do it, which is worse than in spiderman 1, imo. Sure the clerk doesn't know this, but we do, and so does peter.

Lol the only difference is 1. the escape route - the criminal crossed peter in spiderman 1, while running through a different door in ASM. and 2. in tasm, peter actually was standing there watching him steal, and actually stood there and watched as he ran away. Which is more impactful in my opinion.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

When ASM came out I was excited and really liked it. Thought it might eclipse the first Tobey movie. That was on last week and I wathced some of it and even though the plastic Goblin suit was laughable it's just such a solid movie. Tobey pretty much is Spidey. Garf sort of annoys me. He's poofy and twitchy and stuttery and at times it distracted from the movie.

Love Emma as Gwen and the Lizard was an awesome villian but cliche as hell. Another bad guy that sees the error of his ways. Then he grabs Spider-Man and seemingly saves him at the end even though the effer can stick to walls!

Spideysense44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Anyone who said the original is plain stupid i mean your putting an entire trilogy against one amazing spiderman movie wow wait till the amazing trilogy is over first and plus the original was horrible anyway

Godric_Talon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@master_of_suprise: I can't believe I never saw that comparison but now that you made it, I can totally see it. (not sarcasm). In TASM, Peter is more of a loner as opposed to a geek in the original trilogy. Im not against it, but it does seem more modern day.

@spideysense44:

Yea, but even through the flaws of TASM, I still believe it was done a lot better than any of the original ones. Maybe SM2 comes close to TASM, but as for the others, I just couldn't watch again and even attempt to enjoy.

Spideysense44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#27  Edited By Spideysense44
Avatar image for spideyivydaredevilfan26
SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 41

Even with the terrible Spider-Man 3 the original trilogy is FAR better. Toby Maguire is a more charming better actor, with more of a tragic and tortured look to it. He originals were darker, smarter and more tragic than the newer ones, which seem more like the ABC Family TV series version on Spider-Man. Not to mention, the Lizard was a joke, in every aspect of his character. His personality and motivations were confused, annoying and mixed, the actor was overacting, the design made him look like a reject Sonic villain. The Rami Spider-Man villains were interesting, often tragic, and sympathetic while being charismatically sinister. Escpescially Dr Octopus, who is my all-time favorite comic book movie villain.

Spider-Man: A

Spider-Man 2: A+

Spider-Man 3: D+

The Amazing Spider-Man: D+

Avatar image for ultimatejonathan
UltimateJonathan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Amazing Spider-Man > Rami Trilogy

theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By theTimeStreamer
jasonhawke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I grew up with the trilogy sooo....

Trilogy

Avatar image for deactivated-5da1bf32237f0
deactivated-5da1bf32237f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I love the Raimi trilogy. I actually like Spider-Man 3 more than The Amazing Spider-Man. Spider-Man 3 may have bitten off more than it could chew, but TASM barely handled what little material it had. Plus, TASM was hardly a reboot. It was a remake of Spider-Man (2002). The Amazing Spider-Man didn't really do anything differently from the original. Plus, it has loose plot threads, such as Peter's parents. Some people may say, "Wait until the sequel," but I say that's bull. The movie advertised itself as The Amazing Spider-Man, not The Amazing Setup.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

@thetimestreamer:

Lol how did I not see that yet!!! Seriously though, he jumps 11ft onto a basketball backboard and bends a field goal bar with a football no one bats an eye. I love The Dark Knight Rises one too.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@ryagan said:

Plus, it has loose plot threads, such as Peter's parents. Some people may say, "Wait until the sequel," but I say that's bull. The movie advertised itself as The Amazing Spider-Man, not The Amazing Setup.

You realize they had the green light for at least 2 films prior to making TASM right? And now they have the green light for 3 and 4 in addition to #2 over the next 5 years?

Its an origin movie. It establishes the origin for the hero. That's what you're suppose to do. And every origin movie alludes to some greater plot for (hopefully) sequels assuming its successful enough. I don't remember a superhero movie that didn't do that, including Spider Man 1.

@OP: Also comparing 1 movie to 3 is a bit short sighted, the thread would be better off comparing TASM to Spider Man 1.

bigtewell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked Spiderman 1 better than TASM because.......

1.Better villain

2.Better story and use of characters

3.uncle bens death was done better

the only thing TASM did better was the love interest. Everything else was meh.

The_Boogieman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By The_Boogieman

1 and 2 are both better than Amazing, and 2 is one of the best comic book movies anyway.

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

I voted for both...

heroesgold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I personally enjoyed the first Spider-man movie than Amazing Spider-man, one reason is because of Uncle Ben's and Peter's relationship was better in that movie, also in my opinion it sticked more to the comics than Amazing did, sure Amazing had Gwen Stacy and web shooters, but if you think realistically, how would a boy his age be able to make things like those? That's the reason why Sam Raimi took web shooters out of his movie. Another thing is Spider-man was more towards the Ultimate Comics with a taste of 616, it had Mary Jane as the first love interest and him and Harry being friends when the movie starts, while in the 616 universe him and Harry were basically rivals for a while. Gwen Stacy was the same to always trying to get Peter's attention and being stuck up. I could go on saying more too.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

They're all pretty weak.

The first Spider-Man is probably the best (not saying much, f*ck you, James Franco), Spider-Man 2 is nonsensical garbage, and Spider-Man 3 is an abomination.

Amazing Spider-Man was just kind of... unfulfilling? It had all the right ingredients, but I guess it was cooked poorly, because it didn't come out right at all. Peter only really acted like a hero when the Lizard was around. Otherwise he was just hunting blonde criminals. He never really helped anyone individually, unless it somehow pertained to the Lizard. A minor complaint, but it added to the overall "mehness" of the film.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#41 the_stegman  Moderator

Amazing Spider-Man

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Am I the only people who thinks spider-man 2, had a stupid reason for spider-man to lose his powers?

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#45  Edited By TDK_1997

The trilogy easily.I almost didn't enjoy ASM at all.THe movie was just overrated for me.I didn't like how thing were shown to us even though they got things right but it just didn't feel like the Spider-Man I know and also the Lizard sucked a lot and I just didn't like him as the villain at all.

Raw_Material

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 9

The original Spider-Man. Although, I'm pretty anxious for the Amazing Spider-Man 2 to come out. Jamie Foxx is gonna play Electro!

PaperDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By PaperDemon

TASM sucks. The old trilogy had heart and cared. Thats what i miss. I just don't give 2 craps about the new characters. Except for emma stone who seems like the only one who did a good job.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#48 the_stegman  Moderator

Amazing Spider-Man was better:

-More humorous moments, not just Spidey's quips, but how he learned how to use his powers, how he interacted with Gwen, how he humiliated Flash. Everything was just so much more fun. I mean Maguire's Peter said maybe three jokes in the entire trilogy.

-A better Flash Thompson, he's not just some generic bully, but he actually was shown to not be ALL bad when he tried to console Peter after Ben died. Also, he became a Spidey fan at the end, which could lead to them doing more with him.

-Emma Stone was better than Spider-Man 3's Gwen and A HELL of a lot better than the boring damsel in distress that was MJ

-I like how they differentiated his origins from the Raimi trilogy, no wrestling career, but they did hint at it by having him fall through a ceiling into a wrestling ring.

-Spidey fought like an actual spider which was neat, and I like how he used his webs and kind of "punched" them at people.

-I like how Peter was actually SMART in this film and invented things, not just being ''smart'' by giving out random info about spiders

-I LOVE how it ended with his words to Gwen about the promises that can be broken are the best kind.

-I like how we have some mystery about the Parker's deaths and how that might play in future films (I personally hope Osborn is behind it)

Overall, Amazing Spider-Man was superior to Raimi's films in almost every category.

The_Webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spider-Man 1,2 AND 3 Vs One Spider-Man film?....sorry,bud,that isnt fair competition,im not voting...