undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By undeadpool

The Good

After three action-packed issues, it was beginning to feel a little bit like a breather was called for, and apparently Jason Latour agreed as Gwen finally gets a breather and even gets a feel for how the people of New York City ACTUALLY view her. Despite becoming something of an underground symbol for rebellion, opinions still differ on what, exactly this new Spider-Woman is up to and this transitions, quite seamlessly, to what cannot be a comfortable meeting as we see Gwen go to visit the Parkers. You know. The aunt and uncle of that nice boy she accidentally had a hand in the death of (unbeknownst to them) after he turned himself into a lizard monster? That’s the one. Gwen sits down with her not-Uncle Ben and not-Aunt May, and Latour does an absolutely incredible job of writing this scene. It’s a simple one and it takes up a large, large portion of the issue’s real estate, but it’s intense and emotional in all the right ways without devolving into shameless sentimentality or emotional manipulation. Latour gives JUST enough of Gwen’s inner-monologue to let us see what she’s thinking, but not so much that it overwhelms or takes away the punch of the moment.

Robbi Rodriguez’s linework also does a tremendous job of selling this conversation with big, expressive facial features and enough cuts to flashbacks to give the reader plenty of context behind what’s being discussed. His blocking and perspective makes the simple act of these two talking in a dining room even more exciting than the high-rise rescue that the issue opens with, and that’s not to take anything away from that smaller, thrilling moment. Rico Renzi’s colors also do a tremendous job setting the bright, shining tone that this book has become known for, but also tinges just enough shadow and dark to be the slightest bit unsettling.

The Bad

There’s very, very little to not like in this issue. While some may find it a little eye-rolling that almost every character Gwen encounters is “someone,” meaning a pre-existing character derived from the 616 universe, there’s also a certain appeal to that. The way this issue handles it especially is more like a wink and a nod.

The Verdict

Marvel had an unexpected hit on their hands with Spider-Woman when she made her debut in Edge of Spider-Verse and they’re handling it about as well as they possibly could. These creators are putting out one of the best alternate-universe books in the last twenty years, and they’re reaping the benefits with strong sales and amazing word-of-mouth. As this first story arc begins to wrap up, things are showing little-to-no sign of slowing down.

UltimatePower6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

Wow, so many marvel comics getting 5/5 today

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I was so relieved after finding this universe wasnt going to be affected by secret wars

Diannah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To use a baseball analogy, Latour keeps hitting it out of the park, while Rodriguez keeps hitting into double plays.

The meeting between Gwen and Aunt May just tugs hard on the heartstrings, yet it also goes through all the other emotions too. Definitely a nominee for "scene of the year".

I get to the end of each Spider-Gwen and wonder where it went? NOOOOOO! It can't be over now?!

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I was really looking forward to this issue. Glad to see that they did a great job with the interaction between Gwen and May.

Avatar image for currentthor2015
CurrentThor2015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By CurrentThor2015

@superior_prime_maybe: SpiderGwen is going to be in the Secret Wars SpiderVerse book, and some books are going to have their Last Days issues in a few months instead of right now, so the same could happen to this series.

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanrocket: Yeah. Got the Skottie Young issue #1 variant too. :P

RaygunRogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By RaygunRogue

Anyone else here see the similarities of Nirvana's debut and Spider-Gwen? Both are overnight, worldwide successes, both never intended to be so large. Both are big for being REAL and TRUE. They both naturally stray from the status quo and strike real emotional chords others only dreamed of doing; and with them it came so naturally.

Edge of Spider-Verse was their "Teen Spirit". Rodriguez displays raw grunge riffs with his pencils as Latour adds the lyrics. The colors are so instrumental, solidifying this books alternative edge.

No, they arent Cobain. No one is. But man, this is real guys.

LordRyus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First issue since the one shot first appearance of Spider-Gwen I absolutely loved. The other 3 weren't bad, they where good snd I enjoyed them but the hype was way bigger than their quality. So naturally I was a little disappointed in them (then again ive alays found the vulture bor ing and lame, this one was his best in years but still Vulture :/ ). If you're reading this marvel, more issues like this one.

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By DrellAssassin

Anybody else really turned off from the first issue like I was? I loved the one-shot in Spider-Verse, but that first issue really rubbed me the wrong way (plus Vulture, bleh). Has it improved much from that? Because right now I'm content simply enjoying Silk (which is awesome) to get my female spider fix.

RaygunRogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By RaygunRogue

@drellassassin: Sure, most, if not all, felt some fashion of "let-down". It was expected. Its like hearing the "best song ever" then the album. Its good but not like that 1st song.

Now we are hearing more emotional tracks. Its good man...its great.

And I just love Silk too.

eamon542000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Great Issue

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know, I really like Spider-Gwen. I think its an interesting take on the Spider-Man story and a good way to use a character that folks seem to love even though she technically died over 40 years ago.

All that said, I hate that they call their band "The Mary Janes". It's so contrived. It's really the only part of this character's world that I don't like. Ah well, nothing is perfect I suppose. :)

sparty-dbq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God, this is such a good book.

BTW, was DeWolff giving that guy a wedgie on the second-last page?

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drellassassin: I'm with you on that one buddy. Spider-Gwen was a cool concept but I have felt ever since issue one this book has felt forced and like it's trying way to hard to be cool.

hiimsmart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not going to lie, almost cried reading this.

RaygunRogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zzombie13: I understand. Think of it as an Alternative rock name that implies "marijuana". Mary Jane is a nickname of it, as I'm sure we all know. I think its cool. It also sets up characterization of MJ; self-centered?

RaygunRogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By RaygunRogue
GalacticFork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@zzombie13: I actually really like the bandname. Especially considering Mary Jane's character. Classic lead singer diva. But yeah, I can definitely see where you're coming from. It's a bit self indulgent of the writers.

Did anybody else get the sense that May knew exactly who Spider-Woman really was?

Djbousquet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Djbousquet

I would love to get into this series and from fan reactions, I am SURE that I am missing out but.... every-time I open this comic and take a look at the art I throw up a little in my mouth. Just can't get into the series because of it.

Diannah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would love to get into this series and from fan reactions, I am SURE that I am missing out but.... every-time I open this comic and take a look at the art I throw up a little in my mouth. Just can't get into the series because of it.

I know EXACTLY what you mean! However, Latour's writing more than makes up for the crappy art. I would recommend this book in spite of the art. This story would work with stick figures (and almost does).

RaygunRogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the art is awesome. Along with the colorists work, its a great combination, making an unforgettable impression and signature imprint for this already legendary title.

eliottsworld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This book is amazing, and I dont know how it's going to work with Secret Wars. I'm just loving the ride and we'll cross that Secret Wars bridge when we come to it.