Spider-Gwen #1

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Note: Check out our interview with Jason and Robbi HERE from last October if you missed it for more on what you can expect in the series.

The Good

This is a situation where the powers that be really listened to the fans. When Gwen Stacy, as Spider-Woman, appeared in EDGE OF SPIDER-VERSE #2, pretty much everyone agreed they wanted more. With her appearances in the actual Spider-Verse issues and the announcement of this series, the excitement continued to build.

The great thing about this concept is we're getting our beloved Gwen Stacy back, sort of. With her death having so much meaning in Spider-Man's life, having an actual full on resurrection of her character would be unacceptable. Because this Gwen Stacy is from an alternate reality, we can accept and embrace her return. Jason Latour has created a new character, in a way. It is Gwen, but at the same time, we're seeing her for the very first time. That can also be said for her entire world. George Stacy is still alive and we're getting to see different takes on other characters as well (wait until you see one of the other police officers working in George's precinct). This series is taking everything good from books like WHAT IF...? and EXILES but with a stronger direction.

The other amazing thing about this book is the visuals. Robbi Rodriguez's art and Rico Renzi's colors have given the book and characters their own feel. The more you see, the more you want to see. Gwen's costume is one of the best new ones I've seen in a while. It does have a minimalist feel but it just screams out and grabs your attention.

The Bad

There were moments it felt like the book was trying to reach a demographic that I'm not part of. Some of the language felt a little odd to me. But that's totally okay.

Minor concerns: Mary Jane's personality can be a bit harsh. Yes, we're talking about an alternate universe version. Maybe it's so we don't have to decide between Gwen or Mary Jane. Gwen also defaces some public property. Doesn't seem like something someone trying not to be seen as a menace should do.

The Verdict

Spider-Gwen is here and we can all rejoice. Gwen Stacy may be a classic and beloved character but Jason Latour has taken a great character and made her even more fascinating. Robbi Rodriguez's art and Rico Renzi's colors gives this book a fresh and unique feel that just looks so dang good. Even though this book is full of familiar characters, there is a new take given to many of them. It's like we're new characters yet we've somehow seen them before in a dream. This is a series you'll want to read for a long long time. Make sure you pick this book up. You'll be happy you did.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By SaintWildcard
Super pumped
Super pumped

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Master_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

bet here boyfriend's gonna be either norman or harry... just watch

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I only wish her webs were blue to reflect the webbing in her hood.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 the_stegman  Moderator

Sooooooo excited!

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

Glad to hear this is good; this series has so much potential. My only complaint is that I still can't unsee her blue shoes as grandma-esque slippers.

staphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hope I can get this latter today

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

Great news. I bet that @punyparker guy is gonna love this.

Novafett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Glad to hear this is good; this series has so much potential. My only complaint is that I still can't unsee her blue shoes as grandma-esque slippers.

Agreed, i haven't picked this up from my pull box yet but i'm assuming she still has the granny slippers in this comic?

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

I'm so happy this turned out as good as I was hoping it would be.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

The best gwen is alternate universe gwen. Mainstream 616 gwen suck

Aeroman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

definitely picking this up

dkmark96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AbdullahZubair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This should be called spider-Woman or something If you think about it, Spider-Gwen sucks!!!

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Got my copies literally 20 mins ago. I'll give it a read soon. Let's see if the hype is all its supposed to be.

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DrellAssassin

This should be called spider-Woman or something If you think about it, Spider-Gwen sucks!!!

We already have a Spider-Woman book. Spider-Gwen may be a little on the nose, but it's what people were already calling her and it will prevent confusion.

kantrip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By kantrip

@abdullahzubair: The funny thing about the name is that it's the fans that have been calling her that. While I'm sure Marvel would have come up with something like Gwen Stacey: The (something) Spider-Woman, this is the name that fans really have been promoting and considering that this is a book born out of pure fandom demand, I think its a good choice.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@kantrip said:

@abdullahzubair: The funny thing about the name is that it's the fans that have been calling her that. While I'm sure Marvel would have come up with something like Gwen Stacey: The (something) Spider-Woman, this is the name that fans really have been promoting and considering that this is a book born out of pure fandom demand, I think its a good choice.

Yeah but it doesn't mean we need a Rulk or Shulk book though.

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good issue. I found my replacement for crappy Spider-Woman.

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

I need this book!

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 107

Awesome

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well since I have dropped nearly all my X-Title...

Might as well get this!

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I NEVER EVER buy multiple issues of anything. I do not consider my self a collector or any of that jazz. But today, on this day, I bought 2 issues of Spider-Gwen. Just to have forever. This lived up to and beyond my expectations. I loved it.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really loved this issue. Love the drama taking place with the Mary Janes. Loved how they introduced Frank Castle. Enjoyed how Gwen makes jokes during the battle with the Vulture. Overall this issue met and passed my expectations. Can't wait for issue 2.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool concept, cool coloring pallet kind of reminds me of the 80's but I disagree with this review the story tries so hard to be cool and hip that it's kind of annoying. As for the story I felt it was okay, it gives you a little bit to look forward to but nothing that grabs the reader and holds them tightly.

This book is very much like the Sex Pistols it's style over substance.

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Holy hell, Spider-Gwen actually EXCEEDED my expectations. It had such an Ultimate vibe to it that I could've sworn I was reading an early issue Ultimate Spider-Man.

Avatar image for comicvine_is_jericho529
comicvine_is_jericho529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I felt like i was reading Ultimate Spider-man again!

It had that fun feeling to it, it wasn't overly dark like I thought it would be. it's just dark enough and the character is light enough to be likable to follow and root for.

It's crazy I like Her characterization better than slott's characterization of Peter.

I've added it to my pull list. this was better than her Spider-verse story.

I really hope this finds the same amount of sucess that Rick Remender's Venom found.

I loved Rick Remnders venom series i really hope this replaces that Spidey spinoff gap

Also i marked out when the showed the Punisher(frank castle) appearence!!
I hope he is a major character and supporting character to Gwen in the comics.

this is going to be ALOT of fun

i just hope they dont ruin it by somehow merging her with the 616 universe

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was a great issue. Lots of fun. Reading it made me nostalgic for way back when I first read Ultimate Spider-Man. Here's hoping this series has a long and prosperous run, just like the Spider-series that got me into comics.

staypuffed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

Cannot wait to check it out.

GalacticFork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So good! I wish it could start from the beginning and show the actual build up to Peter going all lizardy, but this is a great start.

I wonder how many cans of spray paint all that took.

RevivalMH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just got done reading this. To be fair, I went into this not liking the premise, as this is not the Gwen Stacy we all know and love. This Gwen is very very different from our Gwen. However, the issue was really well put together the art was great and the writing was good as well. This probably just isn't a book for me. I would have given it a 3 or 4 as I personally didn't enjoy it but I understand why people would.

sgu823

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great artist, great colourist, great writer, great character. I don't know when the last time everything came together so perfectly than it did with this one book. Hope everyone involved stays on for a long time.

Also, didn't even know this existed till the last page:

Loading Video...

superhoodie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

This issue exceeded my expectations, the narrative, the visual effects and onomatopoeia were well fluid.

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 27

Sounds interesting.

sparty-dbq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Terrific issue. I really like the use of colors in the cityscape.

Quick question though: Who was the woman standing outside the cell while Castle was beating the crap out of Rhino?

uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My local shop must have been prepared for the demand after Edge of Spider-Verse #2. There was a whole shelf filled with stacks of Spider-Gwen #1. Unfortunately none of the cool variant covers were present.

GalacticFork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By GalacticFork

@uniform: Mine did that too, but they also had a 2 per customer limit on the normal cover. They were running low by the time I got there. The only variant covers they had left was the plain white one (I really don't get the appeal of those) for 6 dollars. The issue was great, I hope it continues to sell.

Diannah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I won't call it 5 stars (I reserve that for super mega-fantastic stories, and Spider-Gwen isn't even aiming for that), but Spider-Gwen was close, maybe 4 stars.

The story had an "old school Spidey" vibe to it, but Gwen is very much modern, and very much her own character. Good writing overall, and nice use of 616 characters (I loved Officer Grimm!).

The art was "meh". Not bad, but not special either.

deactivated-579fe0ae58107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 304

User Lists: 27

Picking this up tomorrow!

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was okay. I might stick around for two more issues

sgu823

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Terrific issue. I really like the use of colors in the cityscape.

Quick question though: Who was the woman standing outside the cell while Castle was beating the crap out of Rhino?

Probably an alt-universe version of Rachel Cole-Alves.

EJReed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh. I was decidedly underwhelmed. I'm not a fan of heroes who do unheroic things like spying on friends or vandalizing property. And I don't think she sounds like a female college student, which is what she's supposed to be. She comes off more like a twelve year old boy who thinks fart and poop jokes are sophisticated humor. I also don't get why she's so emo when only her dad knows her secret, and he's shown trying to help her. She can still be Gwen Stacy, but she acts as if she's stuck in Spider-Woman's identity.

I'm one of those mythical female readers Marvel is trying to attract with this title and other female lead titles. But showing me bitchy females who tear each other down instead of supporting one another is a sure way to get me to dump the title. And what's with making Betty Brant, who in 616 was a career woman before career women were an accepted thing, a dizzy airhead?

Of all the Spider-female books, Silk is the only one I see myself buying on a go forward basis.