undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By undeadpool

The Good

Sinestro’s absence has been keenly felt in the pages of various Lantern titles since his last appearance in Wrath of the First Lantern, and while we’ve seen him appear in the pages of Forever Evil, I’ve definitely missed him being front-and-center. So him not only returning, but returning to a book that he’s the focal point of is something I had to give a chance. This turned out to be a good decision as Cullen Bunn has already written a Sinestro similar enough to the one we’ve come to know, but different and clearly changed by the events that caused him to enter self-imposed exile. This is definitely his issue and Bunn writes him with a serene dignity that perfectly communicates that, despite his abandonment of the things he once held dear, he’s still the same as he ever was. Lyssa Drak shortly enters the picture with a message and a prophecy, attempting to bring him out of exile and, as the cover clearly shows, she has some success. HOW she has that success is actually one of the most intriguing parts of the book and I won’t go into detail here. We also get a look, early on and at the end, of the current state of the rechristened Arkillo Corps, and a sorry state it is. I always thought it was a little silly that all the other Corps were named for their lanterns, but Sinestro’s was named after him, but to see that, apparently, it’s a title that is passed to whomever is leader actually makes a lot of sense and completely works for me.

Dale Eaglesham handles linework and does a generally great job of establishing a very sharp, clear look for his characters and settings. There is an absolutely insane level of detail to every, single panel and the quality never dips from page to page. There’s a particular page that is actually reenacting the cover and it actually looks even BETTER. I’m not saying it would have been a better cover because of how those need to be staged, but it’s rare that interior art (same artists) actually bests cover art. Jason Wright is on colors and this is another reason this book shines, both literally and figuratively. The palette, despite taking place mostly in caves and space, is incredibly diverse and brings the entire book to life from page 1.

The Bad

It’s impossible to tell where this falls in terms of Sinestro’s appearance in Forever Evil, or if that’s even being considered, but we learn something that I’m not terribly fond of: he’s forsaken the power of Parallax but they don’t really get into A) what that means (is the entity just wandering the galaxy?) or B) Why. That was one of the most intriguing developments of the end of the Geoff Johns' era and while I’m sure they have something planned for it, it’s still disappointing to see it simply fall by the wayside for now.

As amazingly detailed as the art is, the characters are extremely bulky and large. Characters that would normally be slender like Sinestro and Lyssa become overly muscular, but Arkillo looks like he’s trying out for Incredible Hulk.

The Verdict

I’m still fond of the overall look of the issue and I love the way Sinestro is being written in it. I think this is a great title to get in the ground floor on and answers the question of how to make a book that stars a villain compelling: give him a compelling, even sympathetic, motivation. The world-building is already seizing my interest and the creative team gives us a great cliffhanger to end the issue on.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Ok Sinestro losing Parallax suck major @ss

Also I don't think Bunn knows how space works

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Yeah, the one thing that bugged me about this issue was the lack of clarity concerning Parallax. I'm guessing it's supposed to happen at the end of Forever Evil but meh.

Other than that, pretty good start.

redmanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By redmanta

this was a great first Issue looking for more

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Absolutely loved this, it's a deep look into SInestro, and it's a great set up for a series, I even like the supporting cast Bunn is making.

lifeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5  Edited By lifeboy

I Want This!

I can give your claim of mr eaglesham adding bulk to the characters merit. This is the reason I enjoyed his version of PowerGirl so much during his run on JSA. Hopefully he can curb the bulk on subsequent issues and come to the slender sinestro and lyssa that we like. But Damn! I'm glad he's back drawing for DC!

Avatar image for shallbecomeabattoo
Shallbecomeabattoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So far I haven't liked what I read from Cullen Bunn (his Wolverine for example was really boring and dumb), BUT I love Sinestro so much that I will check this out without hesitation. I hope Bunn finds his groove with the character.

mcbean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First issue was good

CheeseSticks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By CheeseSticks

Bunn is really surprising. I hated his previous work, but his Magneto and Sinestro are very good. I guess he is good with anti-hero.

Ando123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm gonna support this book.

mysoulz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sure there will be some new supporting cast introduced throughout the series.

Decent issue.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 the_stegman  Moderator

Really, Sinestro is one of the handful of villains that can successfully hold an ongoing imo. He's not all about destroying the universe or causing mayhem, the only other one I can think of is Magneto, funny enough.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By kidchipotle

Yeah, the whole Parallax thing really bothered me. I wonder if that is something we see at the end of Forever Evil. If we don't, I hope they explain why he parted with it because him being Parallax was really awesome. I originally wasn't going to read this title but I decided to drop Harley Quinn and New Guardians to give this a shot. And I was not disappointed.

Skulexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I'm gonna really like this book!

Avatar image for New_World_Order
New_World_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really, Sinestro is one of the handful of villains that can successfully hold an ongoing imo. He's not all about destroying the universe or causing mayhem, the only other one I can think of is Magneto, funny enough.

Loki.

Angrymeal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone that really doesn't know much about DC or the lanterns I enjoyed this issue a lot I decided to pick it up after seeing how badass sinestro was in Forever Evil

Why would he desperate himself from Parallax that makes no sense to me

SavageDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

As someone that really doesn't know much about DC or the lanterns I enjoyed this issue a lot I decided to pick it up after seeing how badass sinestro was in Forever Evil

Why would he desperate himself from Parallax that makes no sense to me

Its mostly about what the Parallax demands from its host, Hal Jordan, Kyle Rainer went insane, I think Sinestro whom covets power for his own purposes, wouldn't sacrifice his own sanity and dignity for anything.

That aside this issue was really cool, and it up surprised me, I thought it was going to be decent but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Great start.

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Great first issue!

carty2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers