gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

If you read the previous issue, you know that Silver Surfer has found himself trapped on Earth once again. While he is completely perplexed, we discover it's just the beginning of a bunch of crazy happenings. Dan Slott has taken Dawn Greenwood's small hometown and transformed it into a crazy setting for a battle Silver Surfer will not be able to fight on his own. Not even the arrival of Doctor Strange and Hulk can put a stop to the threat that has arisen.

Because of the nature of the story, we find out a little more about Dawn as well as Silver Surfer. Get ready to see Silver Surfer in a different sort of battle. I've seen some complain about the direction or style of this title but that's one of the things I love. Slott is giving us a slightly different take on the Surfer. We don't want the same old stories and Norrin can be a little stiff at times. I wasn't completely sold on the idea of Dawn's character being a big part of this series but it allows for some great banter and helps flesh out the character.

Then there's Mike Allred's art and Laura Allred's color. Have I mentioned how much I love their work? This sort of story works beautifully with them behind the art and color. I can't get enough of them. While I would read anything they worked on, it's fantastic seeing them work on a book that isn't completely grounded on Earth.

The Bad

I mentioned those that might not dig the vibe of this series. If that's the case, either they can try to come around or just accept that this title isn't for them. There is a more light-hearted feel but we do see the arrogance and stiffness that the Silver Surfer is known for. Each issue feels like a grand adventure, even when it's contained in a small environment.

The Verdict

When this series and creative team was first announced, I was overjoyed. With each issue, I find myself enjoying it more and more. I didn't think that was possible. Dan Slott has a knack for writing witty situations while staying true to who the characters are supposed to be. Mike and Laura Allred amp up the visuals and make each issue an exciting experience. The feel of this book stands apart from the vast number of other titles on the shelf and it's refreshing seeing certain titles venture into slightly different areas. This just might be the grooviest book now on sale. When a comic is able to put a smile on my face, what more could I ask for?

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I've seen some complain about the direction or style of this title but that's one of the things I love.

QFT. I've always liked Surfer, but this is one of my favorite Surfer series by far.

Fenderxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

User Lists: 0

To me review!! Love this series, just brings a smile to my face.

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Honestly wish more series had this vibe, it's comforting and really enjoyable all at once. Love it.

Avatar image for medulaoblaganda
medulaoblaganda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i enjoyed it too

feargalr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loved issues 1 - 4. Liked this one, not the best of the series so far but enjoyable all the same.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sweet

rollingshadow7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't express how much I love this book. I think the first time I read Silver Surfer was a reprint of the Marvel Infinity issue in the back of the an oversized issue of Superior Spider-man. Team Allred's work looks great - and so unique. I could read this book in any mood, it's truly a gem. It even got me to go back to the very first silver surfer issues. To anyone on the fence, read the first few with an open mind and see where it takes you.

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love this book, Surfers's one of my favorite characters period and love the light tone and humor in this book. Allred's art grew on me as well.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I am really loving this book. A lot of hardcore Surfer fans seem to hate it, but its just a breath of fresh air. Typical Dan Slott zaniness and a rare comic that isn't dark and isn't taking itself too seriously! Long may it continue!

andreww154

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love this issue. The tone of Slott's writing matched with the Allreds' art was just perfect from start to finish. I hope this continues for a long time.

Supi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When you write something with the enthusiasm of a fan boy(just like Slott did with Amazing Spiderman as well) the result is that we got a very nice title.That's simple!!

Spideysense44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I like wat Slott is doing I really do

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#13  Edited By Teerack

Dawn is so damn adorable I love this book.