MissJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By MissJ

The Good

For all its comedic charm, SEX CRIMINALS does serious storytelling well. Following Issue #6's exploration of Jon's mental health and the general health of Jon' and Suzie's relationship, we get some alone time with each of them in a trio of vignettes.

SEX CRIMINALS continues to feel emotionally genuine, even as things spiral into stranger and stranger directions. Sure, Suzie ventures briefly into The Quiet just to prove a point (and draw on her friend's face), but she also shares a so-real-it's-almost-uncomfortable moment with Rachel as their friendship is restored. Likewise, Jon's adolescent exploits reveal a lot about his emotional development and struggles. These aren't real people, but they sure do seem like they could be.

And if things seem like they're too serious? There's a comical fight scene that will turn things right around. Balance.

The Bad

This issue is on the caption-box-heavy side. It makes sense, inasmuch as Jon communicates directly with the reader that way, and 2/3 of the issue is about him, but there are multiple panels that are just caption boxes, and the pages feel more crowded than usual.

The Verdict

It's emotional deep-dive time, as Suzie reveals her secret to an old friend and Jon reflects on his relationship with his ability. Fraction and Zdarsky continue to develop their characters with incredible emotional authenticity, while still telling a story with a delightfully far-out premise. This issue is a little bit slower-paced than usual, but it's a great tee-up for something bolder next month.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#2 owie  Moderator

Like Saga, I just want the good times to continue to roll! Why do bad things have to happen?! :) Serious Town is kind of a sad place to be. I considered dropping this after last issue, which I felt was both sadder but also more navel-gazing than normal, but this issue restored the balance somewhat.

kantrip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Loving the current story so far. This comic also does one thing for me that no other media has managed to do so far and that's really give an honest depiction of how sex in a relationship can be after the "Honeymoon" period. Not just saying "well the passion dies". We all know after a bit it does. But why and what drives that?

While John and Suzie's circumstances are fictional and outrageous (the time-stopping and sex police), Sex Criminals is really doing a good job of showing what individual actions and behaviors drive that cool down period and why it's not always a bad thing. Also, as with most Image Books lately, the letter columns are often the best part to read.