Myth: Is the Void more powerful than the Sentry?

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BlessedbyHorus
No Caption Provided

I've been itching to make this thread for a very, very long time. It is one of the most frustrating myths about the Sentry character that I honestly can't stand. I'm sure we all heard the, "dur...dur...witout the VOID sentry LOSEZ!", "Voidjuiced Sentry can only winz!", "DOEZ DA SENTRY HAS VOID?" or "Voidtry iz da only ways he can winz!".

*Sighs*

What most people in these battle threads or OPs who make these threads concerning the Sentry don't realize is that saying that the Sentry has the Void ironically makes the Sentry weaker. Yes weaker. The Void is a manifestation of the Sentry's schizophrenia. The side of effect of Bob's mental instability. While the Sentry is the hero persona, but I'll dwell into that deeper later.

As you may know I posted a picture of the Chinese symbol "Yin and Yang", because that in my opinion represents the Sentry/Void in a nutshell. The Void is Yin and the Sentry is Yang. Good and Evil, but the two balanceeach other out. Like I said in my Sentry/Void capability/potential thread I said that Robert Reynolds mental stability acts as a scale for both of the personas power level.

No Caption Provided

Meaning that how powerful the Void and Sentry are depends on Bob's(the host) mental state.

No Caption Provided

"When stable he has potential for limitless power....... however if his mental states wavers he becomes weaker and easier to defeat."

So in reality NEITHER the Sentry or the Void are more powerful than one another. But I want to go deeper and get to the nitty gritty, because to be quite frank I want to bust this myth a thousand folds. I want to touch base on why and how the Void comes out and gets stronger when Bob's mental state wavers. Like I said the Void is the side-effect of Bob's schizophrenia; thus he can only come out and become powerful when the Bob's mental state wavers. Some believe he is just Bob's hallucination and comes out when Bob believes he is the Void.

Anyhow if you read the Dark Avengers arc you would know that Norman Osborn gave the Sentry a super-serum, much to the Sentry's surprise.

But we find out... It wasn't a real serum, but something to destablize Bob's mind. Why? *drumroll*

To get the Void completely out!

No Caption Provided

Norman knew that the Sentry was the "hero persona", he wanted the Void, because the Void was evil, but more importantly Norman ignorantly thought he can use the Void as his own "secret weapon". Connecting the dots we already know that a mentally weak Bob means a weaker Sentry. So the Void becoming stronger due to Sentry's weaken mind means... The Sentry becomes WEAKER! Meaning that "Sentry with Void" means again a WEAK SENTRY. So NEITHER ARE REALLY MORE POWERFUL THAN THE OTHER! *pants*

The Sentry has beaten the Void more than once

It can be argued that the Sentry's creator Paul Jenkins, in a way intended the Sentry to be more powerful than the Void. Though during Jenkin's run he has equally stated that both the Sentry and Void are extremely powerful. Yet people get this idea that he Void was meant to be more powerful which is incorrect.

Again both have been stated to be extremely powerful, during Jenkins first vol of the Sentry Dr. Strange equally states that both the Sentry and Void can be the end of the universe.

The misconception of people thinking that the Void is more powerful comes from the Void being not only a villain, but a very ruthless one. The Sentry again is obviously the hero persona. The Void doesn't hold back as much as the Sentry. The Sentry has shown many times to be careful, hell he has demonstrated many times that he is afraid to use his powers and cut lose. The Void on the other hand doesn't give a crap. Other than ruthlessness and being evil, the creator Paul Jenkins has them equal on power level. But more importantly it has been shown that the Sentry is the only one capable of matching the Void and defeating him.

The Sentry has beat the Void twice. In his first vol and in his second vol where he easily defeated the Void.

Now the excuse some people use to downplay the Sentry beating the Void is that they claim the instances were "internal struggles". All I can that is a weak excuse, as Jenkins or the first to volumes do not hint to such things. Another they say is that, "the Sentry and Void are two halves of the same coin." Well... Wouldn't that prove the point that NEITHER ARE STRONGER THAN THE OTHER!?????????????????? O_o

Anyways getting back to the main point. During the first two volumes of the Sentry, Jenkins shows that the Void has manifested himself into his own separate entity. Here Bob's own therapist states that the Void manifested himself into a physical form.

No Caption Provided

"Unlike other men, Robert Reynold's imaginary creatures took on physical forms. Everything good and bad were split into two separate camps."

There was no "internal struggle", instead a physical fight where even the therapist could see what was going on.

But there's more... The Void was overpowering the Avengers, until the Sentry came and was able to stop the Void.

No Caption Provided

^^^Nowhere does the writer hint at any "internal struggle". And when we put everything into perspectives again a stable minded Sentry was written to be the only one that can take out the Void. The Void was able to break every bone in Hulk's body and overpower Thor. And also sole'd the Avengers more than once. Yet the Sentry beat him more than once.

The only "internal struggle" or mental battle they really had was during Dark Avengers #13

BUT... I'll give the people who argue against Sentry beating the Void a huge juicy bone. And as a Sentry fan I have to be fair. The times the Sentry beat the Void, the Void himself could have been weakened, because the Sentry was stable minded and thus the Void was forced to manifest himself into his own separate entity.

But are the Sentry and Void two separate entities? Yes and no. They're two personas of Bob. That's the best I can put it.

Which Persona defeated Molecule Man? And is Molecule Manipulation exclusive to the Void?

I'm about to address one of the most controversial subject matters. Whether you argue or not the Sentry beating Molecule Man was PIS, the fact is the Sentry beat Molecule Man. Addressing the context of the fight is another story, one I wish to touch base on sometime. But for now lets address which persona beat Molecule Man.

Some people have tried to argue that it was the Void who beat Molecule Man. I personally think its a desperation to take the feat away from the Sentry, but also they use this to argue that Molecule Manipulation is exclusive to the Void.

Again it was the Sentry that defeated Molecule Man. The comic nor Michael Bendis has said anywhere that it was the Void...

Again you can accept that this feat was PIS(though I plan on touching base on this sometime), but the fact is it was the Sentry and not Void who beat Molecule Man. Now one of the main arguments people who argue for the Void use is that the Sentry's eyes were black. Black eyes in no shape or form are an indicator for the Void. A comic artist will only indicate that the Void is around if there is black dialogue bubble. There is not even a single showing for the Void, where he didn't have black speech bubbles and trust me I read almost every Sentry appearance. But also I made sure to recheck some of the Sentry's appearance to be sure before I made this thread. And again my conclusions were right black dialogue bubbles=the Void.

The Sentry is supposed to be possessed by the Void, when the Void takes over and in pretty much every media we identify possession through a distorted voice: black speech bubbles. For example... Here is an instance, where the Void has regular white eyes. Does that mean that it's the Sentry now, simply because the eyes are not black?

No Caption Provided

Here is another instances, but instead the Void has glowing golden eyes which a lot associate with the Sentry!

No Caption Provided

Again in the situations the Void had black dialogue bubbles and Sentry always has white dialogue bubbles, which he also had during the Molecule Man encounter. But... But... There's more... >:)

This is something a lot of people overlook and forget about. Why the heck would the Void asks Molecule Man to return everything to normal!? O_o

No Caption Provided

The Void(even working with Osborn) is a nihilist by nature! Put everything back? For what? Meanwhile here the the Void destroying a city so badly that even Norman had to stop him. And mind you he had normal eyes and golden glowing eyes!

No Caption Provided

Now does the Void strike you as someone caring if Molecule Man was destroying a city? Would he care for putting everything back to normal? Or just killing Molecule Man and further destroying everything? [Sarcasm]This is a very tough answer[/Sarcasm].

In my personal opinion the different colors of the eyes are nothing more than emotions or anger the Sentry is feeling. Like here the Sentry eyes are black because he is angered that female Ultron killed his wife Lindy.

No Caption Provided

As for Molecule Manipulation, it is not exclusive to the Void. That was just apart of most people's imagination. They thought it was exclusive to the Void due to Void killing Loki with it and people having the false idea that it was the Void who beat Molecule Man.

It can be argued that the Sentry always had Molecule Manipulation or at least some form of it. The Sentry changes regular clothespins into his Sentry emblems, he turns a regular piece of rock into some golden orb to protect the Hulk from Void and finally he creates the Watchtower above the Avenger's tower.

But lets get to the nitty gritty and something that even surprised me... Here the Sentry's own creator Paul Jenkins states that he intended on the Sentry having reality warping powers.

No Caption Provided

So we can say the Sentry always had Molecule Manipulation and it was never exclusive to the Void, but it gets even better. During Uncanny Avengers 15 the Sentry is seen using Molecule Manipulation to create sand golems to attack Wasp.

No Caption Provided

And we know Deathseed Sentry is Sentry completely without the Void. That right there slays and buries the idea that Molecule Manipulation is exclusive to the Void.

Feats

Even when looking at feats, the Sentry has much better feats than the Void. The Void broke every bone in the Hulk's body? The Sentry in a weakened state managed to stalemate with Hulk in one of his strongest versions(besides WBH of course).

But lets look at the Voids feats:

1. Killed Loki
  2. Ripped Ares apart
  3. Mind f*cked Hulk's and Spidey's mind
  4. Sole'd a large team during New Avengers
  5. Sole'd the Avengers during Siege(though there were no powerhouses)
  6. Overwhelmed Thor in strength

Lets look at the Sentry's:

1. Erased everyone's memories on Earth and also the Inhumans
  2. Beat Molecule Man who sole'd the Dark Avengers
  3. Did better against the Collective who sole'd the Avengers and even Binary who is a planet buster
  4. Overloaded Absorbing Man
  5. Fought Photon in the Microverse and their energies were destroying worlds, while they were still holding back (and Sentry's energies kept on growing)
  6. Easily beat Terrax

IMO the Sentry has the much better feats.

Conclusion

Is the Void more powerful than the Sentry? No. Is the Sentry more powerful than the Void? Also no. Like I said they are Yin and Yang. Neither one are really more powerful than the other. Its a myth that either is more powerful than the other. They are linked to Bob's mental state. The more mental stable Bob is, the stronger Sentry is. The weaker his mental state? The stronger the Void is, because the Void himself is a side-effect of Bob's mental illness.

Though I will say it seems the creator Paul Jenkins intended for the Sentry to look the more powerful and not the Void. And it seems Paul Jenkins intended the Sentry to be the only one who can stop the Void. The Sentry needing the Void to win in a match would count as futile, because again it would mean the Sentry mental state would be so unstable that the Void was able to take control in the first place and thus the Sentry is weaker.

So again neither are more powerful than the other. We can put this myth to rest.

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Sentry doesn't have the power of a million exploding suns"

*shows power*

"PIS"

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kgb725 said:

"Sentry doesn't have the power of a million exploding suns"

*shows power*

"PIS"

Yeah that's the type of argument people tend to make when they try to discredit the Sentry. Their counter is calling it PIS. But to be honest the Sentry does not have the power of a million exploding suns, "literally" that is...

Speedster101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@king_stranglehold_da_first: The Void and Stable Sentry have equal power, it's explained that Void is just Sentry but due to his mental condition (when he's unstable) he's the same, because there the same perpson with different mind sets.

@realitywarper: would know better than myself though.

RealityWarper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By RealityWarper

@king_stranglehold_da_first: Good one :)

If people kept in mind that Robert Reynolds is a reality warper whom reshape himself according to his mental state / desires it would be more simple.

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If people kept in mind that Robert Reynolds is a reality warper whom reshape himself according to his mental state / desires it would be more simple.

I really wish Jenkin's can do a third volume of the Sentry. He said he wanted to, but something happened. I would really like him to explain in the comics how his powers work and if he really does have reality warping. Because again when I found out he said that i was surprised... O_o

The Sentry really was suppose to be extremely powerful.

makhai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I thought for sure that @vance_astro would love this thread.

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@makhai said:

If anything he was the pioneer of saying neither were stronger then the other and that the mental state of Bob played a role. No he was the pioneer of literally everything regarding the Sentry on Comicvine.

RealityWarper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@realitywarper said:

I really wish Jenkin's can do a third volume of the Sentry. He said he wanted to, but something happened. I would really like him to explain in the comics how his powers work and if he really does have reality warping. Because again when I found out he said that i was surprised... O_o

I would like that too.

I asked Tom Brevoort on formspring but he said that nothing was up at the moment.

I wonder if Bob is in reality The Beyonder.

It could make sense.

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@king_stranglehold_da_first said:
@realitywarper said:

I would like that too.

I asked Tom Brevoort on formspring but he said that nothing was up at the moment.

It could make sense.

I would hate that and it would make me lose interest in the Sentry character. Sick and tired of all this Beyonder crap.

Kavma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mmmph was this a personal argument

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#13 vance_astro  Moderator

@makhai said:

If anything he was the pioneer of saying neither were stronger then the other and that the mental state of Bob played a role. No he was the pioneer of literally everything regarding the Sentry on Comicvine.

Thanks for the props and the callout. I'm going to read through this. I forgot quite a bit about Sentry.

Redatom1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Isn't the void....sentry?

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BlessedbyHorus
makhai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@makhai said:

That's exactly how I feel. I remember all the Sentry threads that he had to go into and correct information on. Go VANCE!

RealityWarper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@realitywarper said:
@realitywarper said:

I would like that too.

It could make sense.

I would hate that and it would make me lose interest in the Sentry character. Sick and tired of all this Beyonder crap.

I don't like the idea too but that's not impossible.

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@realitywarper:

I would like it to be impossible. :P

I would rather the origins of the Sentry/Void's power to be of biblical origins like Bendis kinda hinted. That interested me a lot.

dum529001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By dum529001

Yep. The ying yang balance is true when it comes to the Sentry. Too bad that most people on Comic Vine don't read the comic books that they talk so much about and then post about what they don't know.

RealityWarper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@realitywarper:

I would rather the origins of the Sentry/Void's power to be of biblical origins like Bendis kinda hinted. That interested me a lot.

I think that Sentry changed the past on this.

There was no darkness tendrils in any Moses appareances before Osborn asked Bob to be the Wrath of God, the Angel Of Death.

Moreover the real Angel Of Death (the biblical one) is Lazaer / Azrael and he exists in the Marvel Universe as an ennemy of Wolverine.

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@realitywarper:

There was no darkness tendrils in any Moses appareances before Osborn asked Bob to be the Wrath of God, the Angel Of Death.

Moreover the real Angel Of Death (the biblical one) is Lazaer / Azrael and he exists in the Marvel Universe as an ennemy of Wolverine.

Wait so you think Sentry actually changed the past? Because I think I heard this before.

RealityWarper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@realitywarper said:

@realitywarper:

Wait so you think Sentry actually changed the past? Because I think I heard this before.

Yep.

Enzeru said it too in his Sentry respect thread.

Redatom1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Redatom1234
BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@realitywarper:

Even though I respect him a lot especially his work on the Sentry , his words are not definitive proof for this...

@redatom1234

It is...

RealityWarper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@realitywarper:

Even though I respect him a lot especially his work on the Sentry , his words are not definitive proof for this...

Yes.

But that fits with the concept of The Sentry changing Marvel's historic events in the Marvel Universe.

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BlessedbyHorus

@realitywarper:

That was only via his telepathy abilities... I think for know we should just go by what we actually know for the Sentry.

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bump...

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

askujdnakjsd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel void is more capable than sentry but it's based on character.

Sentry has also been capable of shutting down the void as well but thTs because Bob sides with sentry more often that the void can't retaliate the power of sentry.

I love the sentry

I wish, his story gets explored

Especially that merged sentry storyline. Because it seems like writers are just throwing random highlights for normal sentry and the void.

Making that merged storyline, a future tie in once Bob gets more versed and capable with the power of sentry and the void.

UltimateAdonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They are essentially same being. I don't know why people gets confused about that.

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't say the Void is "more capabale" just that he doesn't holds back.

@ultimateadonis Agreed.

LukaDoncicmvp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They both have same potential.

Void is more lethal & has better control.

Dmkr88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blessedbyhorus:I found one problem with the post. You say that Void only appear with Black dialogue Bubbles, but you show him talking with a white one:

No Caption Provided

There, you can clearly see void talking, with a white bubble.

Futhermore, over extensive research (basically all of Sentry publication history), I found some more cases of Void talking with white dialogue bubbles:

The Sentry vol 1 #3, Sentry/Spiderman one-shot (the ones with Kingpin), Sentry vol 2 #2 and The Mighty Avengers #10 respectively.

Now there is something interesting about them, and it is that all of them are memories or are set in the past, more precesily, during Sentry´s adventure during the silver age. I couldn´t find a single present Void appearance with him not talking in black dialogue bubbles. So, what do you think?