inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
No Caption Provided

Writer Jason Aaron and artist Michael Del Mundo are doing something pretty different with their SECRET WARS tie-in.

WEIRDWORLD, which launches on June 3rd, brings fantasy, swordplay, and mystical beasts to Marvel's universe, based off of some of the strange things that already exist at Marvel. Originally reported with USA Today, Aaron spoke about the upcoming book.

"If I got to take all my favorite genre movies from the 1970s and throw them into one world, this would be that world."

This new book stars Arkon, the ruler of Polemachus. This barbaric character also has a quiver of lightning bolts along with a sword and shield.

Arkon is much different in WEIRDWORLD than in the 616, where he was an Avengers villain, first appearing in THE AVENGERS #75. Aaron went on to describe this version of the character.

"He's in a place he doesn't understand, can't explain and doesn't know how he got there or know how long he's been there... He's really Weirdworld's first explorer, charting the strange realm and making a map of it while trying to just survive long enough to make it back home."

WEIRDWORLD hits local comic shelves on June 3rd.

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Whoa, what is Secret Wars? Is this a new event? I hope there's some tie-ins to go along with it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

@captainhoopla: I've got some news for you buddy, there's more tie ins then there are Stan Lee creations whose names are alliterations.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
No Caption Provided

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

HELL F*&^(£& YES! Now these are the types of books I want to see! I want more genre books like sword and sorcery, noir, kung fu ect

@captainhoopla: I've got some news for you buddy, there's more tie ins then there are Stan Lee creations whose names are alliterations.

Well it is a line wide relaunch

KritikalMassX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Cool to see Arkon bring down the thunder once again! I really hope the Ultraverse becomes a part of this as well.

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This looks so awesome. I've been a fan of Arkon since I first read his first clash with the Avengers, so I'm happy to see that he's actually getting his own book (and by an creative excellent team, no less!)

UltimatePower6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

For some reason I thought this said Zac Efron coming to Secret Wars...

Avatar image for supremehyperion
SupremeHyperion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

Huge Arkon fan, this is awesome, the more that gets put out there about Secret War is real exciting stuff. Freaking Arkon

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for the_mighty_monarch
The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1450

User Lists: 4

Secret Wars is going to bankrupt me. At least DC had the courtesy to put the regular series' on hold when they launched a million tie-ins for Convergence.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

I thought I might pass this but with a creative team like this that's not even a posibility.

sinikettu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My first reaction was WTF is that Conan barbarian? Now that would have been really weird.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 the_stegman  Moderator

@jonny_anonymous: So, these ARE all ongoings? Even when the event ends, these will continue? Also, will each issue of Secret wars be monthly? Bi monthly??

Marvel needs to be more specific with this.

sinikettu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman: I don't think they all will be but I guess it also depends on how well they're received by the public.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman: Well I'm not sure really, they did say the books introduce the Marvel Universe for Secret Wars and beyond so I would say at least some of them are ongoing.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

@jonny_anonymous: So, these ARE all ongoings? Even when the event ends, these will continue? Also, will each issue of Secret wars be monthly? Bi monthly??

Marvel needs to be more specific with this.

I think some of them will continue after Secret Wars ends but some of them are just tie-in miniseries.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

Okay then.

BigMan1227

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks like marvel is pulling out stuff from their Old Conan files from back in the day.....

MixMastaMicah5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BigMan1227

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donmeca2020: agreed. But hey, at least they are branching out in their comics. Their comics will become more appealing to people who don't want to be reading the general superhero comics but something different. Just like the Daredevil show, you can expect Daredevil's comic to be focused on as a crime noir book first, superhero book second post Secret Wars...

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

@jonny_anonymous: I just wanted to get that joke in.

This book looks awesome and has a great creative team. I'm tentatively down.

BigL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I had never heard of this before, and when I saw Jason Aaron post it on twitter I just thought it was another creater-owned project because there wasn't a Secret Wars tag on it haha. But now I know!

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 the_stegman  Moderator
donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By donmeca2020

@donmeca2020: agreed. But hey, at least they are branching out in their comics. Their comics will become more appealing to people who don't want to be reading the general superhero comics but something different. Just like the Daredevil show, you can expect Daredevil's comic to be focused on as a crime noir book first, superhero book second post Secret Wars...

I'm sure that this is just temporary. but it looks interesting they're trying to branch out again. i'd like to see some of those old monster comics return. werewolf by night, monster frankenstein, tomb of dracula etc

eamon542000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Del Mundo has amazing art(what I've seen in Elecktra) so this should be worth a look

MixMastaMicah5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MixMastaMicah5

@the_stegman said:

@mixmastamicah5 said:

@bigman1227 said:

@the_stegman: Marvel's Weirdworld is from the 70's

And DC's is from '72. Just found the title similarities funny.

There's plenty of similarities between the companies to go around, that's for sure. Also, Marvel's is from '52.