inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The Good

The forcefully formed Secret Six must figure out what the secret is while sitting in a metal box, underwater. Two issues in, and it feels like the team is at a stalemate, up until the end of this issue, which normally, would be a bit of a turn-off for a new series, but what I found to really like about this issue was the focus on these characters and getting to know who they are throughout their dialogue and actions. Sure, we do get to jump back and see a long-bearded Catman in captivity elsewhere as well, but the real focus is on developing characters and introducing them to the reader.

I've always been a fan of Ventriloquist, even the one from DETECTIVE COMICS before the New 52. However, I am simply loving Shuana and Ferdie. Finally, the dummy has a life of its own and there's no doubt about it and Shuana is incredibly disturbed/delusional. We are two issues in, but I feel like Simone really made both the characters a stand-out part of the series, next to the awesomeness that is Catman.

I love what Gail Simone is doing with Catman. Does he get a kitty in this issue? Yeah and it's adorable. Does he get a sweet, long beard here as well? Yeah, he does. Is he still that awesome character I grew to love during the pre-52 SECRET SIX? Almost. This time he has a kitty. Why is Catman freaking out about being trapped in this wet box? Well, that's all dropped on the reader as well, as he spends a whole year in captivity. Simone is really giving the reader a fantastic intro to Catman. You'll feel for him and start to understand him better here.

The Bad

Ken Lashley's art goes from looking pretty cool at some places to completely unreadable at other places. There's times where the inking makes a lot of the art hard to understand because nothing really stands out. In addition, there are some times where Jason Wright's colors hurt the scene as well. When the art is rough, the colors should help characters pop and while Wright has some great work in this issue, and a lot better work in the first issue, here, it's just alright. Mainly, the art and inking are the weak parts though.

Towards the end of the issue, the inking changes drastically, for the worse. At the same time, this is obviously where Lashley rushes his work. Characters look really rough and the backgrounds completely disappear.

Delays in a highly anticipated series are tough to deal with. Fans of the Secret Six, like myself, were really excited to see this book come back to life and delays just hurt readership, among other things.

The Verdict

The book was delayed and the art is sub-par, but there's something about SECRET SIX that is extremely appealing. That something is the writing of Gail Simone. There's a lot of love for these characters (mainly Catman, obviously) and this book takes a slower approach to the story in order to really work on developing the characters and how they interact with each other. Slow stars aside, these characters are great and the story is pretty interesting, especially all the Catman captivity stuff. We have one issue left with the current artist until Convergence, then Dale Eaglesham takes over. Understandably, art is not an easy thing to accomplish, but Lashley's just isn't right for this book. Keep reading SECRET SIX or Catman will apparently pee on your ashes.

kantrip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

One day...one day, Gail Simone will get a New 52 series that isn't hosed by DC by some event or publishing delays. I feel like a Joss Whedon fan during his Fox Days (Firefly, Dollhouse), amped up and fully ready to support, but constantly disappointed. Not by the creator but by the company.

Regardless I'm excited to read this today.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

I know last time this book lost some points for the art, but when I picked up the first issue I absolutely loved the art. Plus delays don't bug me, so I'm sure I'll really like this.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 the_stegman  Moderator

I give all new titles 5 issues to wow me before I drop it. Hopefully this gets better before then.

dotwilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yea the art. wow... what a shame. completely takes you out of the story.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was annoyed while reading, at how slow paced it was. Then by the end of the book I came away feeling hooked in. I really want to know whats going to happen.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kantrip: It's just one review, you may still like it. Besides a truly good writer can write well under any situation.

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Story: Good

Art: terrible

kantrip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: Oh I know I'll like it. This is the book that got me into DC before the reboot and Simone is one of my fave writers. So I'm 100% on board with this.

I was mostly lamenting the publishing delay and lack of push this book is getting from DC, as well as how Simone's books have largely been treated since the New 52. She fought uphill on Batgirl stuff, then there was the firing/hiring thing, and the Movement had a great concept and characters but like Secret Six has been on the lower tier of promotions. Fans like us have been very vocal about the series but it is not a good sign that the book's second issue was delayed for unspecified reasons after looking at past treatment of her titles. Meanwhile her Red Sonja, Tomb Raider, and other projects continue to come out on time and with the passion she instilled with BoP and S6 prior to the new 52.

So summary: On board, hella excited, just kinda feel like how i did when whedon got hosed by fox on Dollhouse and Firefly.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kantrip: It's gotten a fair amount of push, I've seen it advertised, and people have been talking about it. As for delays that's just what happens sometimes, who cares? it's better then them sacrificing quality to get it out faster.

As for the Movement it wasn't that great, if you liked it that's fine, but reviewers panned the series. I checked it out and hated it (I also wasn't a fan of her Batgirl).

I also highly doubt DC purposely delayed the book.

kantrip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By kantrip

@captainmarvel4ever:

I also doubt it was an intentional push. I'm just feeling kinda maudlin today due to other comic-related discussions happening on other forums. Should not have brought that into here.

I am very hopeful about this series. DC is taking fans' requests for a more diverse line up of characters, tones, and styles very seriously, and the fact that Secret Six survived the Post-Convergence culling, is a very good sign.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

I actually quite like the art in this book, yeah the change towards the end is pretty abrupt but I don't think either is bad. Everything else is great.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kantrip: Say no more pal, I know the feeling, trust me I do.

Well it only had 1 issue, I doubt DC would cancel it that soon, especially since it's a fan favorite (heck if they were willing to let JL 3000 stay, anything could happen).

kennybaese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

There were two inkers listed on this issue, just like last issue. The pages that Lashley inked himself were solid, but as soon as the switch to the other inker happened the art went completely to crap. Just like last issue.

I really want to love this book, but the hugely inconsistent art is really holding it back. I mean, if you're going to have two different inkers, have one ink the flashbacks or something. Make the change in art make sense. Hopefully the switch to Dale Eaglesham will make the book as good as it should be.

mikey776

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't wait for the next issue

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked all the character moments, but the art fell apart at the end.

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I'm liking this book but I can't wait till Eaglesham takes over on the art in June.

Synack1138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Yeah, cleaner art would help. With the delay, I had a hard time remembering the team (RIGHT their are SIX of them!) I tired to look at individual panels but I still had a hard time making out who was who.

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 299

Ok that's more like it but OOO MAN I do not like who ever it is that did the art once they get outta the box. It's like weird quick fill in art, the same water color esque color job but sans the impressionisim and keeping in the aesthtic.

mfundo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The art has been somewhat atrocious, I'm sorry to say it but it has been and I know I can't do any better but still... Never read a single Secret Six comic book till the New 52 ones and I'm already loving it despite it being issue #2, especially since it involves my lovely Black Alice. I'm also developing a man crush for Catman and that Shauna Belzer (The Ventriloquist) lady is freaking the freak out of me. I just can't stand ventriloquist dummies, especially ones like Ferdie.

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Now almost everybody is complaining about the art as if it were the worst stuff ever!

Lashley nailed everyone of the characters inside the box.

Also, Best Forced Kiss (of the Week).

TheComedian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Liked the story, not the art.

I was also super excited because of the New Suicide Squad line-up add.

KnightofSteel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was so much better than the first issue. Things just seemed to come together more along with a few other things I wasn't expecting. As for the art the last page looked a bit off, but overall I thought it looked cool. I hear Dale Eaglesham is coming onboard soon as regular (?) artist, so that should make some people happy.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By HolySerpent

I for one didn't mind the art

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Now almost everybody is complaining about the art as if it were the worst stuff ever!

Lashley nailed everyone of the characters inside the box.

Also, Best Forced Kiss (of the Week).

I for one didn't mind the art

Yeah same, I really like Lashley's art. I'm not sure why everybody is suddenly hating on it.

Tattacus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kantrip@captainmarvel4ever@jonny_anonymous The second issue was delayed because of one of the members of the creative team (not Simone) had some family issue, I forget who, but Simone mentioned it on her tumblr in January, I think it was.