SDCC 2014: Image Expo Book Announcements

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Today at Image Expo, which took place prior to preview night at San Diego Comic Con, quite a few new books announced today with some very well known creators, including a Skype call from Warren Ellis. Here's the line-ups, descriptions, covers, and some interiors for these upcoming books.

TOKYO GHOST

No Caption Provided

Rick Remender and Sean Gordon Murphy

TOKYO GHOST welcomes readers to the isles of New Los Angeles, 2189. Humanity has become nothing more than a sea of consumers, ravenous and starving wolves, sick from toxic contamination, who have to borrow, beg, and steal for the funds to buy, buy, buy their next digital fix. Getting a thrill, a distraction from reality, is the only thing left to live for. Entertainment is the biggest industry, the drug everyone needs, and gangsters run it all. And who do these gangsters turn to when they need the "law" enforced? Led Dent and Debbie Decay, constables of the law, which is a nice way to say “brutal killing machines." The duo are about to be presented with an assignment that will force them out of the decay of LA and into the mysterious lost nation of Tokyo.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

FROM UNDER MOUNTAINS

No Caption Provided

Marian Churchland, Claire Gibson, and Sloane Leong

Set in the isolated country of Akhara, rival houses face off in the struggle for political power and military security in FROM UNDER MOUNTAINS. Three unlikely figures—a lord's daughter, a disgraced knight, and a runaway thief—will change the fate of their world, but the only hope of peace may lie with the mystery shrouded goblins and witches, and the ancient powers they command.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

VALHALLA MAD

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Joe Casey and Paul Maybury

VALHALLA MAD introduces a set of brand new characters: the Glorious Knox, Greghorn the Battlebjorn and Jhago the Irritator. The series depicts this particular trio of fun-loving gods' return to Earth—Manhattan, specifically—to drink and party and revel in their resplendent godhood after many decades of being away. Needless to say, they find a very different world than the one they last visited.

RUMBLE

No Caption Provided

John Arcudi and James Harren

RUMBLE is a strange book, that’s for sure—like a scarecrow-Conan fighting in a Louis C.K. TV show directed by David Fincher—with a supporting cast of odd characters, many of whom aren’t even human.

INTERSECT

No Caption Provided

Ray Fawkes

Bodies shift and merge, warring with themselves. Blood rains from the skies. A child’s song is translated into toxic, thought-destroying whispers. Everything is changing. Everything is wrong. This is the world of INTERSECT.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

THE HUMANS

No Caption Provided

Tom Neely and Keenan Marshall Keller

Apart, they are nothing… deemed by society as outcasts, misfits, losers, no good punks! But together, they are THE HUMANS! Follow Bobby, Johnny, and all The HUMANS as they fight and fly down the road to oblivion on a ride filled with chains, sex, leather, denim, hair, blood, bananas and chrome.

KINSKI

No Caption Provided

Gabriel Hardman

KINSKI, previously a digital-only collection, both written and drawn by Hardman, promises to be a quirky crime thriller about Joe, a down-on-his-luck salesman who finds a cute puppy. The thing is, this puppy already has a home. What starts as a simple rescue mission from neglectful owners quickly escalates into a righteous crusade.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

INVISIBLE REPUBLIC

No Caption Provided

Hardman and Corinna Bechko

Hardman announced a second project to be executed with frequent collaborator Bechko (HEATHENTOWN, Savage Hulk, Star Wars: Legacy). Described as a gritty sci-fi series, INVISIBLE REPUBLIC explores the secret history of one man's rise to power after an unspeakable act of violence elevates him to folk-hero status on a war-torn planet seeking independence.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

SOUTHERN CROSS

No Caption Provided

Becky Cloonan and Andy Belanger

Now boarding: SOUTHERN CROSS, tanker flight 73 to Titan. Alex Braith is on board retracing her sister’s steps to the refinery moon, hoping to collect her remains and find some answers. The questions keep coming though—How did her sister die? Where did her cabin mate disappear to? Who is that creep across the hall? And why does she always feel like she’s being watched?

Check out our exclusive interview with Cloonan and Belanger here.

DESCENDER

No Caption Provided

Jeff Lemire and Dustin Nguyen

DESCENDER will explore one young robot’s struggle to stay alive in a universe where all androids have been outlawed and bounty hunters lurk on every planet.

DRIFTER

No Caption Provided

Ivan Brandon and Nic Klein

Mankind’s colonization of the galaxy has left countless planets mined bare and lifeless in DRIFTER. A space transport crashes onto a backwater world whose unique properties set the stage for a story that combines the dark wonder of a strange and alien landscape with the struggles of an abandoned and lawless frontier town.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

TOOTH AND CLAW

No Caption Provided

Kurt Busiek and Ben Dewey

In TOOTH AND CLAW, a secret conclave of wizards brings a legendary champion back through time to save the world, with disastrous consequences. Swords, sorcery, animal-wizards, gods, empires, golems of radioactive decay, crystalline badlands, con women, ancient armories, young love, mystery, blood and death and treachery and destiny...TOOTH AND CLAW is an epic story you won’t want to miss out on.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

INJECTION

No Caption Provided

Warren Ellis and Declan Shalvey

INJECTION explores how loud and strange the world is becoming, and the sense that it's all bubbling into chaos—a chaos poised to become the Next New Normal—and that we did this to ourselves without thinking for a second about how we were ever going to live inside it.

Make sure to check out these books either this fall or in 2015.

manlybanister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

want them all.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By the_tree

Descender, Humans, and Rumble sound interesting; I'll need a little bit more to go off of to see whether or not I'll get hyped for Injection and Southern Cross; and I'm already throwing money at my computer screen for Tokyo Ghost.

ZbvmX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tokyo Ghost looks dope! Want both of Hardman's books as well :D

wessaari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

User Lists: 7

Descender and Tokyo Ghost look outstanding. I need to have anything that is Dustin Nguyen or Sean Murphy related

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

That cover for Descender looks awesome. All of these look great.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By judasnixon

Rick Remender and Sean Murphy on an Image book.......I might have peed myself.

Samuel_Simmons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Majority of these look pretty great

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Descender is an absolute must read for me. Tokyo Ghost, Intersect, Southern Cross and Injection all warrant my attention as well.

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Murphy and Hollingsworth art is always fantastic. Injection should be amazing. Descender looks really great. As well as Invisible Republic and Rumble. I've never seen Fawkes' art before but man is that art.

scouts1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

Descender, Tokyo Ghost and Injection the later 2 both a team i am familiar with and first one, i like murphy and Remender is good from i have heard

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#11  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

I'll buy all the sci fi/fantasy books on this list

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#12  Edited By Fallschirmjager

God damnit Image. Why you so awesome?

Tokyo Ghost, Rumble, Descender, Drifter and Injection all want.

Its pretty timely too, since I'm planning to drop some more Marvel/DC titles lol.

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

Avatar image for comicvine_is_jericho529
comicvine_is_jericho529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can already tell from the cover, the creative team, and the summary of the book that Descender will be the most successful from these titles, and that's saying alot because all these titles look awesome!

Descenders looks to be what Spielberg/Kubrick's Artificial Intelligence film should have been like!

That is a definite pick up and since Image is the most popular publisher at my LCS i'll have to wait in line before the store opens but i will do it for that title because it looks absolutely promising!

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Tokyo Ghost (for Murphy), From Under Mountains Valhalla Mad, Rumble, Southern Cross, Descender, Tooth and Claw andInjection interest me the most.

BB

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

Everything looks great, I'm really interested in Drifter and Invisible Republic

Avatar image for raggedscarecrow
RaggedScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tokyo Ghost, Southern Cross, and Drifter sound amazing. Rumble and Injection sound interesting as well, but I'm gonna want some more info on them before I commit.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

Too many sci-fi and space books. Meh Not my type.

2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I hope some space opens up on my pull list by the time these books come out. Im especially interested in Invisible Republic and Rumble

Supi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Supi

And to think that it's the same company that started with titles such Spawn(still out there...)and Savage Dragon....Maybe I'll buy some trades(Tokyo Ghost,Rumble)if they are indeed something good,but I grow up with Marvel&DC superheroes,they are part of my life and suddenly I can't be an indie geek,even if some of them will be good comic to read....They had quality that now missing from the 2 big Companies??Maybe yes...(or not) but it's like all your life watch blockbuster movies and suddenly you want to watch only movies from Tarkovsky and Greenaway....

MannEffest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 6

They all look amazing O_O

Although I'm going to have to be selective, Tokyo Ghost can replace my Wake fix and Southern Cross sounds like it has a Dead Space vibe to it, I'm down for those along with Invisible Republic!

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Tooth and Claw looks SO GOOD!!!!!!!!!!! O_O

I NEED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tuckboarder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By tuckboarder

@wessaari: Amen to that man, they're both better than anyone else on the market right now

derf_jenkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By derf_jenkins

Image continues to pump out amazing books!

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

Tooth & Claw, Southern Cross, & Injection look like they'll be going on my pull for the long haul.

...though waiting nearly a year for some of these sucks :)

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It will be a miracle if I'm still reading any Marvel or DC a year from now. So many excellent and exciting comics up there and already on my Image pull list.

CitizenJP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By CitizenJP

Man, I love Image Comics so much. <3

Mrfuzzynutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sadly, none of these interest me, But it is damn good to see how far Image comics has come over the years!

Avatar image for unkillable_deadpool1
Unkillable_Deadpool1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aaaaaah so thats were ellis,shalvey and belliare went.. Injection and tokyo ghost for me ..

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Sady, most of this just isn't my cup of tea. I'll defenitly try out Decender, Rumble and Invisible Republic, though. Hopefully all of these will start to interest me more as their release dates get closer.

lorex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

The Humans, Invisible Republic, Tokyo Ghost and Drifter have definitely peaked my interest but I will probably check out some of the others as well. I love the new title announcements from Image Expo. The last few years this is where the really new and creative stuff is happening.