inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

No Caption Provided

Today, in Hall H, there were some huge announcements about the 2015 Ant-Man film, which has gone through many changes the past year. Tons of new info about the movie was unleashed upon the masses inside of Hall H which gave fans a look into what this film will be about and who's filling in those roles.

The two newest additions to the cast of Ant-Man are Evangeline Lily and Corey Stoll. Lily will be playing Hope Van Dyne, the daughter of Hank Pym, played by Michael Douglas, and Corey Stoll will be playing Darren Cross AKA Yellow Jacket, the villain of the film.

Within the film, Pym (Douglas) will be passing the suit and his research to Scott Lang (Paul Rudd) and the story is "the story of heist," which Pym's partner, played by Stoll, will be involved in.

Comic Vine's Impressions: Ant-Man fans will know that just from the character's alone, Marvel is digging deep into the Ant-Man wheelhouse and it seems they are changing things up quite a bit. However, it could be that the original Yellow Jacket/Wasp saga, that fans are familiar with, may have happened in the past or Marvel may just pass up the Hank Pym losing his mind and abusing his wife story entirely. The new Yellow Jacket will have been a partner of Pym, so it's a good guess all his tech will be stolen from Pym.

The strange thing for fans is knowing that Avengers 2 comes out two months BEFORE Ant-Man, and because Pym created Ultron, in the comics, it's hard for fans to speculate how these two are going to affect each other. We'll all have to wait and see.

Filming begins in August.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

I'm getting less excited about this film, and more worried about Hank and Janets' future in the comics. :/

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@v_scarlotte_rose: That's my only worry as well. If they want to do this in the movies I'm okay with it, but if it starts pouring into the comics and Hank and Janet disappear in favor of Lang and Hope I'll be sad.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

Why did they make Hank Pym old?

I'm so not looking forward to this one, but MARVEL can surprise me.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

@v_scarlotte_rose: That's my only worry as well. If they want to do this in the movies I'm okay with it, but if it starts pouring into the comics and Hank and Janet disappear in favor of Lang and Hope I'll be sad.

You know it's gonna happen. MARVEL loves changing their comics to fit the movies.

darkbeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By darkbeam
Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Captain13

This film sounds like a superhero version of:

Loading Video...

At least these decisions leave room for a period piece mini-series/show/film centered on Hank and Janet, presumably.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@feartheliving said:

You know it's gonna happen. MARVEL loves changing their comics to fit the movies.

It does seem to be what they do. I think it's no secret I am a big fan of the Guardians, and look how much the comics world has been affected already because of the movie. It's not even released yet.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I will still stay optimistic about this film though. My expectations have been lowered because of the whole directer fiasco, so that's helped.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 138

I feel like I'm the only one excited for this film .......: (

ThePRez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 1

give it a trailer and everyone would join you

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

#11  Edited By amazing_webhead

"...or Marvel may just pass up the Hank Pym losing his mind and abusing his wife story entirely"

Yes. Do that. Then there can be something good about this movie. Seriously, I've already given up on it.

...Although I like the idea of Hank and Jan having a daughter.

Y'know what's really funny? Marvel saw this coming decades ago:

No Caption Provided

savagepizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By savagepizza

@amazingwebhead: everyone who complained about him being old never mentioned this I totally had no idea but I am a comic newb after all

HexThis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Excited for the film but...why couldn't they have just had Janet name her daughter after herself? Why Hope? It should be Janet so that at least people are familiar with her when they read the comics. I mean, I just despise pointless revisions like that, especially since Janet was really a founding Avenger, as was Hank. If Hank can't be with the Avengers then Janet at least deserves a shot. I always feel as though Wasp gets the shaft, she got eaten by Blob in Ultimate, she's always the weakest combatant in the cartoons, she's been made to be exceptionally frivolous, she got killed because Marvel actually had her on a list of characters acceptable to kill....it's like WTF is going on? If it weren't for Uncanny Avengers, I'm not certain that they wouldn't have done something else terrible to her.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

@savagepizza said:

@amazingwebhead: everyone who complained about him being old never mentioned this I totally had no idea but I am a comic newb after all

Well I'm only 17, but I know about it because I got a collected edition of early Ant-Man issues at a different comic-con months ago. It actually built my expectations way to high for this film.

InkInk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@v_scarlotte_rose: A bunch of stuff that happens in the movies never crosses over to the comic books. So do not be too worried. I mean remember when Thor and Jane got back together? me either. I see this as being Marvel's first 100 percent movieverse film and they trying things out.

Spideysense44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Nah your not alone :)

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#17  Edited By Teerack

How do they have the balls to say this is a movie for Ant-Man fans. It's the exact opposite. I'm sure this movie will be good to ignorant people but for any fans of Hank this movie just sound like a tragedy. So far every character with a big role in the movie has been pushed into the center of the Marvel Universe's focus. Just look at Falcon he's Captain America now. This would have been and should have been Hanks big chance to break through to the main stream audiences and become more then a support character in avengers books that he's not even a part of. Scott Lang is now in Avengers NOW and will be getting all the glory Hank really deserves.

chrisj_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hexthis said:

Excited for the film but...why couldn't they have just had Janet name her daughter after herself? Why Hope? It should be Janet so that at least people are familiar with her when they read the comics. I mean, I just despise pointless revisions like that, especially since Janet was really a founding Avenger, as was Hank. If Hank can't be with the Avengers then Janet at least deserves a shot. I always feel as though Wasp gets the shaft, she got eaten by Blob in Ultimate, she's always the weakest combatant in the cartoons, she's been made to be exceptionally frivolous, she got killed because Marvel actually had her on a list of characters acceptable to kill....it's like WTF is going on? If it weren't for Uncanny Avengers, I'm not certain that they wouldn't have done something else terrible to her.

Multiple reasons. Hank and Janet already have a daughter named Hope in the MC2 universe. But mostly because you'd have her end up as Scott's love interest instead of Hank's and I shouldn't even have to tell you how much fan backlash there would be if that happened. Here you have Hank as former Ant man Janet possibly as former Wasp the characters married to each other and not anyone else and you still get to have the same dynamic between Ant Man and Wasp with the new generation Scott and Hope.

goobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They destroyed Hank Pym, I wanted an Ant-man movie because i wanted Hank Pym, this only makes me wish it wasn't being made at all.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captain13: yay optimism?

@spideysense44: that makes me feel better

@chrisj_1:This

@teerack: maybe it's a film for fans of a different ant-man? When was the last time Hank called himself that for a long period of time?

Cafeterialoca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

You know what? I give up on this film. I was so hopeful, but what do they do?

THEY REMOVED BOTH JANET VAN DYNE AND CASSIE LANG!

Oh, we can get Rocket Raccoon and Groot on film, but not the lesbian heroes of the GOTG!

Marvel is scared to hell of their own female heroes that they would erase them instead of working with them!

UNBELIEVABLE!

HexThis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chrisj_1 said:

@hexthis said:

Multiple reasons. Hank and Janet already have a daughter named Hope in the MC2 universe. But mostly because you'd have her end up as Scott's love interest instead of Hank's and I shouldn't even have to tell you how much fan backlash there would be if that happened. Here you have Hank as former Ant man Janet possibly as former Wasp the characters married to each other and not anyone else and you still get to have the same dynamic between Ant Man and Wasp with the new generation Scott and Hope.

But backlash with Janet with the wrong man versus backlash over either no Janet or an old Janet? The latter would be much bigger, is much bigger, actually.

It's just so weird to me there's going to be a movie about a less popular Marvel character, a less popular version, with the two most popular people associated with that character being basically cut out of the action. What are they thinking? All of this wouldn't be a problem if Paul Rudd was just playing Hank, Evangeline Lily was just playing Janet, and Michael Douglas was playing another character altogether. So bizarre.

Rumor has it there's a Korean actress who might do a Wasp cameo in Age of Ultron though....but damn, now she can't be friggen Janet Van Dyne even if she is!!! Unless Hope has an adopted sister. God, that name.

Spideysense44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Spideysense44

You know what? I give up on this film. I was so hopeful, but what do they do?

THEY REMOVED BOTH JANET VAN DYNE AND CASSIE LANG!

Oh, we can get Rocket Raccoon and Groot on film, but not the lesbian heroes of the GOTG!

Marvel is scared to hell of their own female heroes that they would erase them instead of working with them!

UNBELIEVABLE!

Nowhere does it say that they're removing Janet Van Dyne nor Cassie Lang? All they said was that their would be a Hope van Dyne, Cassie Lang was never in the film to begin with so they never removed the character. Janet Van Dyne may still be in the film, she might be older, but theres a chance that she could still be in the film.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

Is it bad that I'm excited to see this film.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Teerack

@avenging_x_bolt: You might have a point if turning Hank into a shadow of his character wasn't necessary for a Scott Lang movie. There is literally no reason for Hank to be an old man in this movie. After Age of Ultron Hank was re-inspired to do good in the world and has been calling himself ant-man and giant man depending on what he's doing.

chrisj_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By chrisj_1

@hexthis said:

@chrisj_1 said:

@hexthis said:

But backlash with Janet with the wrong man versus backlash over either no Janet or an old Janet? The latter would be much bigger, is much bigger, actually.

It's just so weird to me there's going to be a movie about a less popular Marvel character, a less popular version, with the two most popular people associated with that character being basically cut out of the action. What are they thinking? All of this wouldn't be a problem if Paul Rudd was just playing Hank, Evangeline Lily was just playing Janet, and Michael Douglas was playing another character altogether. So bizarre.

Rumor has it there's a Korean actress who might do a Wasp cameo in Age of Ultron though....but damn, now she can't be friggen Janet Van Dyne even if she is!!! Unless Hope has an adopted sister. God, that name.

I agree with you that they should've just made Rudd Hank and Lilly Janet but since it's already announced and established old Hank is what they're going with that's all just revisionist fantasy now. All I'm saying is that this route with Lilly playing Hank's daughter is the best route to go considering what they're doing with the story

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

I'm interested in the idea of Hank, and possibly Janet, having a daughter. I have a feeling Hope will probably become the MCU version of The Wasp in an Ant-Man sequel.

Spideysense44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spideysense44: Cool I thought for a second that I might lynched or something.

nappystr8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I dig the way they are adjusting the characters to still give us things like Ant Man and Wasp without sacrificing the Hank/Janet relationship. And although Hank Pym is Yellowjacket to me, the idea of seeing that persona on the screen worn by Darren Cross is pretty cool. And of course who doesn't love Evanegline Lilly and Corey Stoll?

Spideysense44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Namor1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#33  Edited By Namor1987

Chill the f**k out it's a damn movie not the end of the world. LOL I'll see it.

millennium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@feartheliving: truth be told i hate pym as a character and janet is will she for the most part a forgettable character so if mavel does follow the movie on this one and makes a new ant-man solo run with lang as the star of the series with the only connection to pym is the newly made just came out of thin air daughter that is now dating lang then im all for it

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool, she's talented... and hot

Who the hell is Stoll?

ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack: but when was the the last time was Ant-man long term and not just when Marvel was casually referring to him as such while not using him and actually using the Scott ever since his rebirth. And notice how Hank bops between Ant-Man and Giant-man (the latter if which he had been calling himself since his last "re-inspiration" in the late Heroic Age) has Hank ever definitively been Ant-man? Or is his main attraction just being Hank?

I understand how Hank being aged can piss people off though. Even though I'm fine with it as long as they're okay in the comics.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By FearTheLiving

@millennium: Well then I guess you don't have to worry. I like Hank and Janet and I wouldn't want them to disappear. My only hope is that they introduce these characters or similar characters with different names or relations. Like Hope is Janet's cousin or something and even then I'd love a book that has bug family regularly appearing together. (Janet, Hank, Scott, Hope, and I suppose Eric can stop in too.)

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Teerack
@avenging_x_bolt said:

@teerack: but when was the the last time was Ant-man long term and not just when Marvel was casually referring to him as such while not using him and actually using the Scott ever since his rebirth. And notice how Hank bops between Ant-Man and Giant-man (the latter if which he had been calling himself since his last "re-inspiration" in the late Heroic Age) has Hank ever definitively been Ant-man? Or is his main attraction just being Hank?

I understand how Hank being aged can piss people off though. Even though I'm fine with it as long as they're okay in the comics.

I would be fine with Hank being Hank in this movie if Hank was the right age and could become Giant Man in a marvel moving down the line like Avengers 3. To me it just comes off as a big "f*** you, you're irrelevant now." to the character.

The real issue that stems form this movie is marvel is obsessed with synergy. This will without a doubt lead to Scott being more prominent in the comics and Hank becoming less relevant.

Hank as it is, is already f**ked out of the universe.

• House of M - Was a Skrull
  • Civil War - Was a Skrull
  • World War Hulk - His Skrull had pretty much no role
  • Secret Invasion - Fianlly the real Hank is back
  • Dark Reign - He got to make Norman Osborn annoyed in one issue, but didn't really contribute much to the event.
  • Siege - No role
  • Fear Itself - Shows up at the end too late to help. Did have a really cool fight with Adsorbing Man though.
  • Spider-Island - Wasn't in it.
  • Avengers vx X-Men - He got to be a back ground character
  • Age of Ultron - The Hank Pym from the past had a bigger role then the current Hank Pym. :|
  • Infinity - Wasn't even mentioned.
  • Original Sin - Wasn't even mentioned and Scott Lang is a big part of it.

You see how Hank is already hardly around? And at the end you can already see that Marvel is starting to Slide Scott into the world and have him replace him all together. :/ The ending of the last volume of FF even went as far to explain that the Langs have really lucky genes make them better at using Pym Participial then Pym or any non Lang could. :\

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice.

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

meh, i don't care

eamon542000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@avenging_x_bolt: He's not a character to (my knowledge) has ever really had a super succesful solo run; so might be why everyone seems cautious. I'm pumped for this!!!

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack: I can see your point. Hopefully that's not the case.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cafeterialoca: to be fair , it's completely possible that Phyla and Moondragon might make it in later on. They only had 5 Avengers in the first film.

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@feartheliving said:

It's getting really annoying.

Jenkale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

almost over this film. i could deal with it being scott lang. i could deal with darren cross (cousin of crossfire so hoping he can show up) becoming yellowjacket but hope van dyne? whatevers

BeholdtheVison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@v_scarlotte_rose: True dat. I have zero problems with Lang, and though his appearance in Original Sin is disappointing I don't hate him for it. But if Hank and Jan vanish or receive the Nick Fury "oh look I randomly have a son and may or may not have a whole event centered around justifying my departure for nuFury" treatment I will be very upset.

Crickut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really wish Edgar Wright was still involved, it was a little shocking to see him walk off.

FilmCutting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now those are some nice additions.I loved Evangeline Lilly in Lost.Playing the Wasp as Pym's daughter makes sense, she's probably his estranged daughter. http://filmcutting.com/ant-man-casting-revealed-for-stoll-lilly-at-comic-con/

Avatar image for marvel_dc_heroes_villains
marvel_dc_heroes_villains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been less excited for this movie since the Edgar Wright departure, and this hasn't really changed that, but I'm still very ready to give it a shot. One thing I absolutely hate on these boards is the horrible fanboyism of the comic 'purists'. If it means that the final product functions better as a film, then by all means change the source material around, different mediums have different ways to succeed. Also, they should remember that they, the hardcore comic guys who care about the distinction between Janet and Hope van Dyne, are at best probably about 5% of the audience for these films, and are vastly overestimating their own importance when they call for Marvel to make changes. Finally, I reckon this is gonna be delayed from its July 2015 slot, as a film that will be this effects heavy is going to take longer than 11 months to shoot, edit and then go through post-production.